Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2016, 02:26   #271
BHPian

Re: NGT bans 10+ year old diesel vehicles in Kerala. EDIT: High Court stays ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Please hold on. Legally, am sure everyone can run their cars for 15 years as the life tax is paid. Even if NGT brings such a ban, I believe a PIL will all be required to get it moved to 15 years.

They have relaxed the rules in Delhi itself, where this topic initiated and was hot. All what is required is to pay a 1% cess by the manufacturers. Even if NGT proposes the same in other cities, that'll be what the manufacturers opt. You have a good point; a well maintained car can go beyond 15+ years and it doesn't make sense to let go of something unnecessarily.
Thanks for clearing out the air.

Just want to ask following two questions:-

1. If one takes into account the current scenario, its advisable to opt for mild diesel hybrids such Ciaz SHVS over their petrol counter parts, keeping in mind the running costs as well as resale value?

2. As per an article in The Financial Express, dated 21ST July 2016, such mild hybrids are safe from NGT whip. Is there any merit in this news, notwithstanding the fact that few months back Delhi Govt. announced a handsome incentive for such vehicles?
Old 30th October 2016, 09:09   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
1. If one takes into account the current scenario, its advisable to opt for mild diesel hybrids such Ciaz SHVS over their petrol counter parts, keeping in mind the running costs as well as resale value?
The maintenance of diesel engines is always higher than petrol as common rail systems are inherently more complicated that MPFI systems. Given the gap between petrol and diesel is narrowing and our central govt is slowly weaning away people from subsidies, it is only matter of time, before these two will be priced on par.

If your running is within 15K to 20K kms per year, it is best to stick with petrol engines given their refinement and overall lower cost of maintenance. Earlier you used to get temporary relief when filling up, but now given that difference will come to only about 1000 Rs. on a topup, I don't think it makes sense to buy diesel if running is limited.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st October 2016 at 09:11. Reason: Last line: Guess you meant diesel :)
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 10:29   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

If your running is within 15K to 20K kms per year, it is best to stick with petrol engines given their refinement and overall lower cost of maintenance.I don't think it makes sense to buy petrol if running is limited.
Sir due to change in the nature of our family business, our annual running has gone beyond 35,000 Kilometers. Our TATA Zest petrol has bled our pockets heavily even with a decent economy (for petrol car) of 11-12 Km/L

Last edited by fuelinmyveins : 30th October 2016 at 10:30.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 11:50   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
our annual running has gone beyond 35,000 Kilometers.
At that run rate, better to go with diesel.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 12:05   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir due to change in the nature of our family business, our annual running has gone beyond 35,000 Kilometers. Our TATA Zest petrol has bled our pockets heavily even with a decent economy (for petrol car) of 11-12 Km/L
With that kind of running, diesel is the way to go. The so-called 'mild hybrids' do hold a slight advantage from a near term perspective (odd rules) against the other diesels, but am sure they (NGT) can't just 'ban' anything based on their whims & fancies. All it'll take is a PIL for these 'bans' to be reviewed & shot down.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th October 2016 at 12:06.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 01:41   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The so-called 'mild hybrids' do hold a slight advantage from a near term perspective (odd rules) against the other diesels, but am sure they (NGT) can't just 'ban' anything based on their whims & fancies.
More than that, I really doubt that the All Knowledgeable NGT has any expertise to really evaluate the situation factually. The automobiles are easiest target, so ban those.
There has been a significant increase in stubble burning in Haryana & Punjab in this month, which is known to affect pollution levels in Delhi NCR in November and December, but the NGT slept right through it. They slept through the cacophony of Deepawali fireworks. They'll wake up only to ban the easiest target.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 11:14   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Switch to a diesel, you can retain the current car as a second car with main running on diesel.
A diesel returns about 40% to 50% more than corresponding petrol, add to that about 15% difference in the cost itself, this will save you a lot the difference in cost is payed back in less than 15000 km / year.

Other advantage is that diesel effeciency drops only marginally above 80-90 kph where as it is a drastic drop in petrols engined cars, so a ocassional higher highway speed doesn't pinch too much.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 22:43   #278
BHPian

Hi Guys,

What is the status of the case/stay in Kerala? Cannot find any information online. I live in England and parents in MP are looking to relocate to Kerala.

My parents intend to buy a used diesel car and were wondering on the status of the ban? I would really appreciate an update.

Thanks much.
Old 28th November 2016, 09:28   #279
BHPian

Hi bhpians..
To open the eyes for many here, another interesting news. Germany announced a ban on all petrol and diesel vehicles from whole country from year 2030. Other nations in Eu may also follow suit sooner or later. Europe's Audi, VW, Merc are now into R&d for 0 emission vehicles. These companies will try to make use of their current plants by deploying in 3rd world countries like us. America, Europe, Japan and even China is moving into 0 emission vehicles. I'm a keralite and probably I may be buying one of my last petrol or diesel sedan in life.. Next generartion will slowly move to electric or hybrid for sure. We are almost chocked in chemicals on roads. Its a good move. But govt should declare such plans much ahead and not an overnight news. These pollutants are reducing days of my life. We need to implement alternatives...

Dear BHPian,
There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.
Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.
The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by SDP : 2nd December 2016 at 19:24. Reason: Corrected many typos and grammar mistakes
humveeguy is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 29th November 2016, 19:19   #280
BHPian

@humveeguy, while I agree with you in principle, I would like to add that a lot of energy goes in to building a car. Simply turning an otherwise normally running car in to scrap overnight is in my humble opinion detrimental to the environment as well. Yes there should be restrictions in using less environment friendly technology in new cars being produced. However viable methods for retrofitting emission reducing, efficiency improving and safety enhancing tech on older cars should also be promoted.
MinivanDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 15:46   #281
Senior - BHPian

Four major cities to ban diesel vehicles by 2025

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38170794

The mayors of Paris, Mexico City, Madrid and Athens say they are implementing the ban to improve air quality.

Of course they are also planning on alternatives unlike our knee jerk actions.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 17:28   #282
BHPian

http://www.businessinsider.in/12-cit...rmat=slideshow

Several European cities are announcing ban on cars and some of them, ban on diesel cars.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:27   #283
BHPian

With so many Indian customers now buying Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endeavor, XUV 500, Innova Crysta, Hyundai Tuscon, Audi Q3s etc. (basically big diesel vehicles), any updates on the 10 year limit of diesel engines? These are solid vehicles built to last several years. What happens to their resale value should the 10 year limit policy takes effect?
Old 20th February 2017, 23:50   #284
BHPian

Can anybody tell the current status of "vehicle ban"in Kerala ?
I am planning to buy a diesel car.Should i go forward in the current scenario?
Old 25th March 2017, 21:41   #285
BHPian

Is there any info on What's the situation of diesel ban>10 yrs for NCR? The resale value of diesel cars is being lowballed big time because of this ban.Whats the verdict of Honble Supreme Court?
It makes it look crazy to buy a new diesel SUV in NCR only to get the resale hit again in a few years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks