Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:46   #16
BHPian

re: NGT bans 10+ year old diesel vehicles in Kerala. EDIT: High Court stays ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
reports

EDIT: Manorama has now edited the story heading
Well, it now reads that sale of non- public vehicles with Diesel engines above 2,000cc has been banned.

And, in the 6 Corporations in the state, no Diesel vehicle older than 10 years may enter, and violations are to be fined Rs. 5,000.

Both directives are to be implemented within 1 month's time.

So city service buses are going to be hit, and I would have to settle for whatever colour and variant the dealer is able to offer first for the Crysta.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:57   #17
BHPian

If you are an XUV500 owner, could you purchase and plonk the 1.9L engine? When I purchased my XUV500 in March (in Bangalore), I asked the dealer if I could opt for the 1.9L engine. I was told that it was only for NCR. I wish Mahindra had offered it to rest of the country as well
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:14   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This seems to spreading across the country now. Whats the basis for 10 years? Shouldnt it be atleast 15 years since they collect the LTT for 15 years? Will the govt. refund the LTT for the remaining 5 years?
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:14   #19
Team-BHP Support

I seriously doubt the statistics and data presented before these tribunals based on which such decisions are made? Why can't there be more investment in testing and re-certification process rather than this knee jerk full ban?

Does not make any practical sense! This verdict ie :(
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

As our Behramji's teacher says, ' "There is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way".

Let there be stringent checks across our cities and highways for PUC that puts the onus on the vehicle owners to maintain their engines in the best condition than to tinker with the laws, lengths, ground clearance, engine cc, etc.

Instead we see a situation where we get to see judiciary donning the law maker's hat and this is only going to add to the voluminous pile of backlogs in the courts. The state government will blame the centre, centre will point the finger at the courts...
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:52   #21
BHPian

Really disheartened to see such knee jerk actions. While the motive is good, the judiciary doesn't consider other angles of their actions.
In my opinion, this is for the law makers to decide rater than the law keepers.

Some wonderfully maintained vehicles, which are treated by owners as their beloved children will be left to rust!!! In a way, this is equivalent to passing a law to kill old aged citizens.

...did the tribunal care to check the emission from a 2005 model C class as compared to a 2013 model TATA? (names just for representation purpose)

Last edited by MSAneesh : 23rd May 2016 at 18:54. Reason: addition
MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:07   #22
BHPian

I guess consciously or otherwise, the word is going out that diesel=pollution. Sales of diesels are going to be effected, 2000cc below too.

The lack of scientific studies to prove the case(2000c + or -) either way beggars the imagination. If industries can be made or destroyed by the whim of the people in power(legislative or judiciary) then as people we have failed.

There will always be winners and losers in any decision, but the decision should be made in manner which is reasonable and fair. This current decision of 10 years is a retrospective one. Retrospective acts are patently bad in law as it does not allow a person to take an informed decision.
arakhanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:12   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...erala-2815543/

Is it commercial vehicles only, or both commercial and private vehicles?

Looks like they have 'nicely escaped'. All the public transport and govt vehicles are exempted.

Wow, so the biggest polluters, old KSRTC local buses still run?
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:18   #24
BHPian

I am okay for anything that can help in reducing the pollution. But let that be scientific. Why NGT is not insisting on unadulterated fuel ? Why NGT is not insisting on upgrading the emission standards quickly to latest than banning certain capacity vehicles ? Why only Diesel vehicles ? What about petrol vehicles that are 10 year old ? Would not they pollute ? What about banning diesel trains and converting all engines to electric (Train engines pollute as well)

The idea of recycling a vehicle every 10 year is a great idea. It provides boost to the economy. But not when credit is costly. A middle class family in USA can easily afford a honda civic/toyota corolla while you need to be slightly above the indian middle class to afford a similar model in India. Why NGT is not providing any guidelines on that ?

NGT is also pulling up NHAI on chopping tress for road widening.
http://www.business-standard.com/art...2300777_1.html

What exactly comes under their jurisdiction. I did not understand much of what's written at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...n_Tribunal_Act

Should not the role of NGT be more like an advisor to the government in environmental matters, track implementation and provision for penalty on delays, provide support to resolve cases that are affecting environment than coming up with random bans ? Why NGT is not pulling up government for not implementing automated toll system than making people wait at Toll booths and waste lot of fuel and time ?

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 23rd May 2016 at 19:38.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:32   #25
BHPian

With media reporting varying things, I decided to check out the order itself.

From the said order:
Quote:
In the meanwhile, the State of Kerala shall not register any diesel vehicle with the capacity of 2000 cc and above, except public transport and local authority vehicle. Further, we direct that all the diesel vehicles, whether light or heavy, which are more than 10 years old, shall not be permitted to ply on the road in major cities like Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Kochi, Thrissur, Calicut and Kannur.
Read in its entirety here:
http://www.greentribunal.gov.in/Writ...A23-5-2016.pdf

Mathrubhumi English edition has an accurate report on the matter:
http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/...news-1.1080298

Last edited by darklord : 23rd May 2016 at 19:40.
darklord is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ha ha, I fail to understand the logic of banning diesel engines above 2000cc. After all these engines do pass the emission test. Why can't we have stricter emission norms, if they want lesser pollution.

It would have made more sense if the emission laws were made stricter limiting the CO2 emissions per kilo meter. Why can't we adopt California emission norms, they have the strictest emission norm.

My dad actually said about the same when we booked the Crysta. One of the main reason for buying Crysta is the resale value. If this law is passed, then our investment equation , goes out of the window.

My conservative resale value at the end of 8 years was 40% of the on road price, 9.5 to 10 Lakhs. Hmm, need to rethink about the purchase decision.
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:34   #27
BHPian

If someone with a sound mind starts to do research on this pollution scenario then he will probably meet with the following questions.

1) Which are the most polluting segment of vehicles on roads?
This certainly are two wheelers. With their pre historic tech in most of them, these tiny smokers choke our streets by a large margin. Why dont they make a rule to ban the two wheelers? Atleast the death by road accidents will come down by atleast 80% if they do ban bikes.

2) Aren't petrol vehicles causing pollution?
Yes certainly, inside the cities the most common cars by far, are the alto/wagon r/kwid/eon/celerio etc or rather coming to the point, they all drink petrol. With such a huge percentage of small, unsafe, thirsty cars polluting the cities, the small amount of diesel vehicles which are above 2000cc causes just a fraction more in total pollution. In effect the ban will make no difference at all other than destroying the dreams of people who worked hard to buy some reliable, efficient wheels for the entire family to move around.

3) Why are they collecting the road tax for 15 yrs then?
The road tax is being collected for 15 yrs and these old men ,dressed up in suits in a cosy AC room, order the cars to be scrapped in 10yrs? Will these idiots pay back the amount the car owners paid for the extra 5yrs? Certainly not it seems.

4) What cars are these judges using?
Most of them are given innovas which are above 2000 cc and run on diesel. If we ask them who made such a statement to cycle to work or to walk, will they do it? Certainly not.

5) What about public transport?
There are a huge number of state run buses (around 85 to 90 %) which dont even comply Euro 2 norms , will they scrap them this month? Or will they be giving us, the citizens 10000 rs each day these buses are put in roads ? Another big No!

6)What about the really pricey cars?
What will happen to the owners of the cars that cost a fortune? All the owners are not millionaires, there are thousands who buy these cars after a lifetime of savings. Who will give back their money?

7) How much exactly is the percentage of pollution is caused by cars above 2000 cc then runs on diesel on an average Indian city?
Not really accurate, but will come to around 1.5 to 2 percentage of the total pollution caused by all automobiles that run on roads.

No matter what they say , be it petrol cars or diesel cars, be it above 2k cc or less, at the end of the day all run using dead dinosaurs and do EQUALLY cause pollution. So unless and until a viable alternative is found , such silly and mad rules must not be made or rather the NGT must be made to keep its mouths shut.

Last edited by GTO : 30th May 2016 at 10:53. Reason: STRICTLY no name-calling please
AB@TVMBHP is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:17   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This order will definitely get stayed in Courts. It is a different thing to disallow new registrations. Making a rule like this will put many people out of work and without income. Such things need to be implemented over time to reduce the economic fallout and impact on the livelihood of people.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

For now it seems the order says only major cities, does it mean if you are travelling on back roads you are ok? Further, while driving from one small city to another, how do you navigate the major city enroute?
What happens to the vibrant jeep culture in the God's own country? Further, it effectively bans all city public transport which as it is practically non existant in most cities. Apart from causing undue hardship to the mango man what does the order aim to achieve?
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:50   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I sincerely pity the guy whom I sold my 2006 Innova diesel too just 2 months back in March,2016 as the car was in its 10th year and NGT rule was being enforced in NCR. The person who bought the car was from Kerala, working in Delhi and had sent the car to Kerala. I guess he will now look to sell it in a neighbouring state down south at a loss.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks