Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 11:52   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India

Chevrolet Beat Activ Crossover Spotted Testing for the First Time.

The Chevrolet Beat Activ Crossover has been spied running trials for the first time in Bengaluru!

Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-chevroletbeatactivcrossoverspottedtestingforthefirsttime2.jpg
Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-chevroletbeatactivcrossoverspottedtestingforthefirsttime1.jpg
Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-chevroletbeatactivcrossoverspottedtestingforthefirsttime.jpg

The Chevrolet Beat Activ crossover concept, based on the upcoming Beat, is GM’s answer to the Hyundai i20 Active, Toyota Etios Cross and Fiat Avventura!

Expect a late 2017 launch!

http://gaadiwaadi.com/chevrolet-beat...t-time-141103/

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th May 2016 at 11:57.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 13:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai i20 Active, Toyota Etios Cross
Isn't it going to be a segment below these cars in terms of space, dimensions and price points? Can't see any 'crossover' bits added to the design as well!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th May 2016 at 13:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 13:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Isn't it going to be a segment below these cars in terms of space, dimensions and price points? Can't see any 'crossover' bits added to the design as well!
Definitely a segment below.

As for the styling, I bet the covered parts of the test mule have front and rear fake skid plates, an elongated rear spoiler with a high-mounted stop lamp, slightly raised rear bumper with a high-loading boot lip, a centrally mounted HUGE chrome bar atop the rear numberplate, some added funkiness to the front grille design, slightly higher-profile tyres, and voila!

Easy as nails to make the Beat "Cross".

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th May 2016 at 13:24.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 13:30   #4
BHPian

Doesn't look like a crossover. It's looking just a minor facelift from the spyshots.

On a sidenote, what's with naming the cars variant as "active" nowadays? Arguably, does it means the regular variant is "passive" or "inactive"?
Nav-i-gator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 14:11   #5
BHPian

Hopefully Chevrolet can pull in some numbers from this one. The brand is anyways going nowhere.

On the other hand Beat can still hold its ground in respect to other cars in its segment. The 'crossover' will further improve the styling which can help it in generating additional sales over next year or so.

At the same time, I am skeptical about how much difference can it make for the company in the longer run.
Old 24th May 2016, 14:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

How many generations of the global Beat (Spark) must live and die, before Chevrolet India lets go off this platform which is already in its 7th year?

I hope at least they know why they are not doing well in India!
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 12:00   #7
BHPian

A late 2017 launch? That's basically more than a year and half, why even bother to bring it at that time! We already have quite great options available, no point working hard on something which is going to dead on arrival because frankly by then, most of the chevrolet dealerships are going to close shops and run. After sales service has been an issue in a number of cities, it's been ages since they launched a proper, reasonable priced product which is actually worth the money spent. How do these folks people are going to opt for Beat when they will have numerous option available, just for the design? I don't think so! Already designs have evolved drastically in our market and a lot of better cars are coming in! For e.g the New Swift! Why will a person buy a Beat Activ over the next generation Swift?
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 12:40   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Beat Activ is going to sink without a trace. GM shouldn't even waste their time (not that they have much to do, but still...).

The next-gen Beat was unveiled in 2015 - is this the kind of commitment GM has for India? Where the heck are they spending that billion dollar investment spoken of recently? Selling a 7 year old model when its newer replacement is already on sale worldwide? LEARN, GM, LEARN (from past mistakes, Hyundai etc.). If this is the best you can come up with, it's just a shame.

BTW, the Beat Activ was showcased at the Auto Expo. Link to full report:

GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 13:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Basically at this point I think GM is not even interested in India anymore. I barely see a new beat, sail, uva, cruze or enjoy on the roads. Forget about trailblazer. A few beat diesel OLA micros maybe.

If GM is serious about India it should ASAP bring the new gen beat , sonic , trax and cruze . Maybe the Camaro or Corvette as the halo car.

Enough of rebadging SAIC cars with the chevy bowtie.
Old 26th May 2016, 17:15   #10
BHPian

GM seems to be going HM's way, as far as new models/updates are concerned. No one even considers GM anymore when buying a new car. Basically GM would need a herculean effort just to stay relevant in the Indian car market, let alone improve their shares. Now they seem to have taken the easy way out; stick on plastic and call it a cross . Bring it on I say. It should fail big time and some very important heads must roll if GM needs to continue its existence in India.
Old 8th June 2016, 20:53   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Chevrolet calls it A New ‘Soft-Roader’ and could launch in US too, names it the Chevy Spark Activ .

In India, the Spark is sold as the Beat, and Chevy is also gearing up to introduce the Beat Activ (seen above) in that country.

Quote:
The American automaker has prematurely given away its secret by certifying the new Spark Activ with the California Air Resources Board (CARB), which means that it can legally be sold in the Golden State
Quote:
In the CARB certification, the Spark Activ is listed with the same 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine as the regular Spark that makes 98 horsepower and 94 lb-ft of torque
Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-t.jpg
Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-q.jpg
Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-r.jpg
Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-s.jpg
Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-m.jpg

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...to-the-us.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th June 2016 at 20:56.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 21:05   #12
BANNED

Source: http://www.motor1.com

This is the Beat Activ. Seems like an over-done, destined-to-fail model, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-2016chevroletbeatactive.jpg  

Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-2016chevroletbeatactive3.jpg  

Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-2016chevroletbeatactive1.jpg  

Chevrolet starts testing Beat Activ in India-2016chevroletbeatactive2.jpg  

Old 8th June 2016, 22:47   #13
BHPian

I heard Chevrolet will launch the Beat Activ as the next generation model. The manufacturer thinks all Indians are stupid consumers, they still haven't learnt a single thing from the Sail Twin disaster. Treat a country like this and get ready to close your shop soon and going to Detroit!
Old 9th June 2016, 01:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I love the looks. But the 1.1L diesel is a let down on the car. It should have some engines which can perform the way the car looks. After driving a Swift D, the Beat was easily a segment down, save for the looks.

GM is proving to be a hopeless company. It did have some very good products, but all those have died a slow death. I hope the last India meet of the GM heavy weights were not to discuss & sign off such crappy products. This could have easily been done over some emails sitting at your base locations. I had some serious expectations when I heard about Mary Barra becoming the CEO!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th June 2016 at 02:04.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 08:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Minus those stickers, I just love the looks of this car!! Wow! Pretty sure they will throw out all those LEDs while it's on its way to India though.

Most Viewed