Team-BHP - Threatening Diesel Bans: Keep or Sell older car?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Threatening Diesel Bans: Keep or Sell older car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/176449-threatening-diesel-bans-keep-sell-older-car.html)

The Delhi ban was a minor jolt. Then, the news of Kerala banning 10+ year old diesel has left me heart-broken. Why? I fear all states govt. including mine (Odisha) will follow the same rule blindly, just to show-off their concern for the society and the environment. Bhubaneswar, being listed at the top of the Smart City list doesn't help my case either. :Frustrati

My concern: My 15-yr old Indica DLS (2001). It has done 1,80,000kms and still going strong, no troubles whatsoever. Not a driver's car, but it has a special place in my heart. I always thought to keep it with me and use it forever, but it seems my dreams will come to an end soon.

I wonder, why should someone sell of his/her vehicle:

1) If it is maintained properly and kept in pristine condition.
2) Checked by RTO, and termed healthy for another 5 years.
3) If it clears the pollution check standards set by Govt.

As I type, I can see her from my office chair, one part of mine says not to let it go, the other part says otherwise. Am I getting too emotional? What should I do? Sell it off or wait for this ban to cool-off.

Here are some images of my ride.

There's no certainty even after selling your diesel car. If you buy a petrol car , are you sure a ban on petrol cars won't come after a few years ? I have a 6.5 year old diesel Punto that I've maintained very well and I wanted to keep her like forever . It's quite likely that the 10 year old ban will reach Bangalore and I have to dispose her soon, but selling her beforehand doesn't make a lot of financial sense I guess , and I've decided to wait and keep her.

I'm hoping some sense will prevail and folks like us can keep our old cars.

I would suggest you to hold on to your current car for two reasons:
1. There is no real time frame within which such a rule, if at all, will be applicable in your state.
2. Your car is 15 years old now and would already be at its base price, in the sense that you are not going to really lose a lot of money if a ban comes into play and you are forced to scrap it.

So hold on to your car and drive it without breaking a sweat till you can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 3981552)
I would suggest you to hold on to your current car for two reasons:
1. There is no real time frame within which such a rule, if at all, will be applicable in your state.
2. Your car is 15 years old now and would already be at its base price, in the sense that you are not going to really lose a lot of money if a ban comes into play and you are forced to scrap it.

So hold on to your car and drive it without breaking a sweat till you can.

I second this. A 15 year old indica will get you approx 20-30K lower as scrap over regular retail.
So keep running it till you can. Do not be scared of ban

Your car is already 15 years old, so with the diesel ban glooms around, even if you try to sell it, you will fetch much less than what you will actually expect from it. Considering the age of the car, the resale value would be peanuts at this point of time.
If you already have found a buyer who will offer you a satisfactory price, then it is fine, but otherwise, my opinion is, do not hurry at this point of time.
Selling at a bad news always results in a loss.

When the bans actually do come, they come along with some benefits for sending the car to the scrapyard. You can make use of them for your new car purchase, if the ban is implemented in your city. Since there is no such news, you can continue to enjoy your car, as long as you consider it fit for your usage!

Maybe extending the question:
Diesel vehicles of what capacity need to be sold off immediately?
How old, is your vehicle? What if my vehicle is 8-9 years old?
Where can I plan to ell my vehicle? Which states might be least affected?
Is there a way to still hold on to the vehicle in-spite of the ban

I share your misgivings and apprehensions fully, keeprevving! We too have an elderly car (a 2004 Scorpio), and much-loved as it is in the family, we are quite apprehensive about its fate in the near future. Of course I keep fantasizing that, miraculously, the powers that be will approve - through approved w/shops! - the conversion to CNG, a la the city buses in many cities!

And with this vague hope, I second tsk1979's & drmohitg's suggestion - to keep my car - and continue running it and caring for it as we have done over the years.

My one point formula is - don't sell any diesel or petrol. Wait for the cooling period. Just keep any car you may like to retain.

But don't buy any new diesel till things settle down and the heavy smog created by the legislature, executive and judiciary turns clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeprevving (Post 3981539)

My 15-yr old Indica DLS (2001). It has done 1,80,000kms and still going strong, no troubles whatsoever. Not a driver's car, but it has a special place in my heart. I always thought to keep it with me and use it forever, but it seems my dreams will come to an end soon.

A 1st gen Indica that has run 1.8L Kms with no troubles whatsoever? Please let TATA know about it. They might take it back for R&D to find how this one was so good and give you a new car instead :D

FYI
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/16/t...mile-official/

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 3981749)
My one point formula is - don't sell any diesel or petrol. Wait for the cooling period. Just keep any car you may like to retain.

But don't buy any new diesel till things settle down and the heavy smog created by the legislature, executive and judiciary turns clear.

agree:

I have decided to postpone my Innova Crysta purchase until I get some clarity, but there is no point in selling off the cars I currently own.

I unexpectedly found myself in this hole, purely due to lack of research. My tucson is 10 years old, and if i wanted to sell her, I'd probably end up shipping her to agra, minimum, and would probably have to take a tremendous hit on the price.
SO for now, I am holding on to her, and put in money from a POV that I will probably be driving her for at least the next 2-3 years.
So my advice is that if its a running, relatively trouble free, reliable vehicle, keep it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 3981749)
...But don't buy any new diesel till things settle down and the heavy smog created by the legislature, executive and judiciary turns clear.

Exactly my thoughts. I was about to make up mind for a certain new diesel vehicle based on certain desirable features, but looking at the situation right now it may not be a wise decision.

Keep the car.

There won't be any change in the resale as the car is already 15 years old and done 180k. If and when such a ban is imposed in your state, you can always sell it in another state.

Well friend, adaptability is the only way for survival. The good old days where fiats and ambassadors were retained for minimum of 20-25 years are gone. The physical and mechanical conditions of a vehicle are not the only criteria to certify its road worthiness, but the emission conditions shall also play a much important role in determination. A few months more and we shall enter into BS stage V, where the emission standards shall be yet more stringent. The Indica having lived its economic life already, may find difficult days ahead.

I admire your concern for the Indica but at the same time one must appreciate the deteriorating quality of Air / Atmosphere we are into. The present Governments are under immense pressure to take radical measures to control air pollution. No wonder, if the trend of imposing ban on diesel vehicles percolates to other states and towns as well. One saving grace for you would be that Bhubaneswar being a relatively serene town may not be the earliest one to adopt such vehicular restrictions.

I suggest not rushing for outright disposal but keep enjoying the comfortable ride (after all it is all the hardship that you have taken all along in her maintenance and upkeep) until you find a buyer who honors her with a reasonable price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 3981828)
A 1st gen Indica that has run 1.8L Kms with no troubles whatsoever?

FYI
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/16/t...mile-official/

Yes, proud to say that I have a niggle-free Indica. A rare breed for sure.clap: Apart from the regular engine oil change, filter change and suspension bush changes, and one suspension overhaul. Every replacement that was made was as per the manual and due to ageing parts which is a usual thing. Engine and gearbox is untouched. No major mechanical jobs were performed in this tenure. I did had 2-3 thermostat sensor blowing out. Addition of a FICD is the only change I have made. That's all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 3981828)
Please let TATA know about it. They might take it back for R&D to find how this one was so good and give you a new car instead :D

I would be more than happy if they can take my old car and replace it with a Tiago/Bolt for being a loyal owner. Guys @ TATA, are you reading this?