Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2016, 12:50   #136
BHPian

Just now this came in Why engine capacity-based diesel vehicle bans don't make any sense-imageuploadedbyteambhp1468826410.562338.jpg
Old 5th August 2016, 12:44   #137
BHPian

Many of my friends who wanted to buy Scorpio / XUV5OO / Duster are in a dilemma now.
Some feel that for sure diesel vehicles will be banned going ahead and why to take risk by buying diesel vehicles. But, it makes sense to buy diesel in the SUV category. If we buy diesel, peace of mind will not be there and after 10 years the vehicle has to be scrapped.
Going with this theory, one of my relative bought a Duster Petrol version and another guy who was a big fan of XUV5OO is planning to change the car and moreover 1 segment down and settling for VW TSI + DSG combo.

With all these rumours around, and the bans in Delhi/Kerala, is it still safe to go ahead and buy a XUV5OO (not 1.99) or a Scorp or any less powered SUV kind of Duster ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Just now this came in Attachment 1530596
That's bad!

What will people do with 10 years old cars then ?

Last edited by Eddy : 5th August 2016 at 14:06. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 5th August 2016, 14:59   #138
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why engine capacity-based diesel vehicle bans don't make any sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Many of my friends who wanted to buy Scorpio / XUV5OO / Duster are in a dilemma now.
There are indeed many in this category! And diesel is kind of automatic choice for SUV category as simply there are not much of good options in a decent budget in petrol.

Quote:
Going with this theory, one of my relative bought a Duster Petrol version
It is actually a good decision. In fact Renault can utilize this opportunity to launch a petrol AWD version of Duster, I am sure it is going to find some good amount of buyers under present circumstance.

However now with the centre supposedly willing to challenge the NGT verdict on an age based ban, things might just settle in. But when that is going to happen, nobody knows.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 18:22   #139
Senior - BHPian

diesel is just beginning, they will soon introduce ban on old petrols also.

The idea is to fully convert all manufacturing lines to Electric or Electric Hybrid or Fuel Cell by 2030. So if you truly want to be future proof, just buy hybrid petrol if budget permits.
Old 5th August 2016, 23:15   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
The idea is to fully convert all manufacturing lines to Electric or Electric Hybrid or Fuel Cell by 2030. So if you truly want to be future proof, just buy hybrid petrol if budget permits.
Fuel cell is too futuristic for India even in distant future for mass application. Hybrid in various proportion might be the only realistic option. But with the govt even struggling to implement a more strict BS norms within a stipulated timeframe, it is highly doubtful or rather impossible to switch to an alternate energy-driven vehicular system by 2030, too optimistic to say the least.
Old 6th August 2016, 06:15   #141
Senior - BHPian

I think it is guided by some UN white paper and it will soon be made part of some international treaty binding all countries. Consumers are not the issue here, manufacturera are. Many are reluctant to switch over to hybrid tech maybr because they do not think they can control the market.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 11:01   #142
BANNED

Let me summarize, such actions are nothing more than knee jerk reactions with little background information. Often there are NGOs with their own axes to grind behind these. A classic case of power without responsibility, which has traditionally been considered the prerogative of the harlot! I do not wish question anybodies credentials, but totally disagree with the order. I hope our systems wake up some day. It seems that RTO has no power to deregister cars before 15 years!

Last edited by sgiitk : 6th August 2016 at 11:05.
Old 12th August 2016, 20:15   #143
BHPian

Supreme court ruled today in NCR for resumption of registration of new diesel engine vehicles with engine size 2L and above

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/53668184.cms

1% green cess imposed on ex-showroom value.

Last edited by rajivrt : 12th August 2016 at 20:16. Reason: spelling mistake and missing heading

Most Viewed