Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2016, 13:30   #136
BHPian

re: Overdrive's hatchback track test - Figo 1.5 diesel quickest!

They forgot about Figo MT in this.

Last edited by SuperMane : 1st June 2016 at 13:36.
Old 1st June 2016, 13:37   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMane View Post
They forgot about Figo MT in this.
They've split up the episodes into petrol and diesel. The petrol was this week and my guess is diesel will be next week.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 11:50   #138
BHPian

Consider me as an average enthusiast who drives his car daily, mostly to commute between home & office, occasionally on highways. But the enthusiast in me, road & traffic conditions permitting, once in a while indulge in throwing about my car around corners and pushing it a little further just to get an adrenaline rush and feel like a rally driver. Should I buy a punto Abarth? or Figo?

Now consider I like driving my car around a race track as my hobby. I drive an abarth and my friend drives with me on a figo. With 45 extra horses under my command, I can still see him always on my tail, sometimes leaving me behind too around corners. would I still be happy with Abarth?

An enthusiast is satisfied by his Figo, a pro-track driver is not satisfied with his Abarth.
Where does this leave Abarth punto?
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:27   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Consider me as an average enthusiast who drives his car daily, mostly to commute between home & office, occasionally on highways. But the enthusiast in me, road & traffic conditions permitting, once in a while indulge in throwing about my car around corners and pushing it a little further just to get an adrenaline rush and feel like a rally driver. Should I buy a punto Abarth? or Figo?

Now consider I like driving my car around a race track as my hobby. I drive an abarth and my friend drives with me on a figo. With 45 extra horses under my command, I can still see him always on my tail, sometimes leaving me behind too around corners. would I still be happy with Abarth?

An enthusiast is satisfied by his Figo, a pro-track driver is not satisfied with his Abarth.
Frankly speaking None of our cars are track cars.
Some of them are better on the track, some are worse. But the summary is that none of them are built for track. (Like say a duke RC200/390). They are built for road.
None of the cars have 100% track focus.
A pro track driver, can always take any car with a good stiff chassis and then step by step modify it to make it 'track ready'. Lighten the weight, Tune up the suspension, tyres, ECU, so many things are there to be done, if some one wants to be a pro on the track.

Secondly, we are all mixing track times and actual 'handling'. Handling cannot be quantified. It is a feeling.
This feeling can be different for different people also.
But, generally, Handling is a combination of factors like:
How the car feels on turn in.
How it feels on the limit. (Oversteer & understeer balance)
How it feels under braking.
How it feedbacks the grip on the tyres to the driver.
How connected the steering feels to the tarmac.

A car that is blisteringly quick on the track, may not be the best handling car.
And the car that sets average times on the track, may still be the best Handler of them all. The Best example: Toyota GT-86

If we actually read the OD Report between the lines, and forget the Laptimes, we shall find out that the Humble Baleno, has actually the best handling out of all the small cars, despite posting slower laptimes.

Here are some of the Notes from OD mag regarding the Figo automatic & Diesel, which are applicable to the Figo diesel:
The steering is more vague than the Hyundai i20 on the racetrack. Aditya found the steering to be positioned a bit ahead too. Braking is weak and the rear end of the car tends to move around while doing so. . It isn’t a sensation one likes to experience, especially when one is braking from triple-digit speeds to a slow corner like C1 at Kari. Add to that an ABS unit that intervenes way too early.
Despite smaller and narrower tyres than the rest, the car grips surprisingly well. The Figo diesel oversteers slightly on corner entry and then understeers at the exit, making it quick around the track

OD Notes For the i20:
The Elite can put a smile on your face even when driven enthusiastically. Turns out it’s as exciting to drive even on the racetrack. The i20 displays great mechanical grip. In fact, the chassis is one of the best when compared to the rest in this test. Body roll is controlled and the suspension is well-balanced making the car ride nicely over the kerbs and bumpy sections of the track.
The ABS kicks in much earlier than expected, and one needs to modulate the brakes to find the right balance. Another negative is the steering. There is hardly any feedback from the unit and there’s quite a bit of play as well.

OD Notes, for the Baleno:
The car feels the most connected when compared to the others and changes direction really well. The chassis stays planted and makes the driver feel a lot more confident about pushing the car harder around the track. The brake feel isn’t as good as the Jazz but is good enough for track days. ABS is slightly intrusive, but it is possible to turn into corners without the system kicking in.
The steering is like the Swift and amongst the best in a hatchback today. It complements the light and grippy chassis.The gearbox has short throws that are also precise, making it a delight to use, especially on a racetrack.
Aditya felt that the Baleno is the car that he’d happily drive around Kari all day long. It was also the choice for people driving for the first time on a racetrack.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:35   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Exactly Nav-i-gator, and this is the reason why Vid6639 commented about calling this Abarth a bit differently,..may be as an Indian Edition or Abarth Based Evo or something.
Simply put, this is not THE ABARTH we all know.

I have driven the Figo 1.5 TDCI and more than anything else, it feels really light & easy. And mind you, this is just a VFM hatch and that is exactly how Ford engineered/marketed this. This was never meant to put cars from 2 segments above to shame when it came to 0-100 runs or in-gear accelerations.
But what has really worked here is the basic core formula of all Super/Hyper cars:

More Power + Light Weight = Lip-smacking Performance

Abarth is really quick and I don't deny that fact. Well there is no contest here in a straight line drag, but once you add some twists and turns into the melee, the weight of the car comes into play. Figo can easily pull its light body out of the corners quicker than Abarth.

But the OD test still gives us a clear picture as to how quick the Abarth is as even with few hundred kilos weight disadvantage, it only crosses the line 0.1 seconds behind the cheapest Diesel hatch in the country!!

So I only wonder what the time gap would be if Abarth was around 100-130kgs lighter

Last edited by Vik0728 : 2nd June 2016 at 12:36.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:43   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
So I only wonder what the time gap would be if Abarth was around 100-130kgs lighter
I'm left wondering what a car it would have been if Ford just kept the chassis and steering similar to older Figo and plonked in this new 1.5 TDCi.

Would have been fast, engaging and cheap to run. Ultimate! But sadly not to be.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:56   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
the cheapest Diesel hatch in the country!!
:
Cheapest ? There are Diesel Hatchbacks which are cheaper than Figo Diesel available in India

Fastest is the right word
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:14   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Figo's chassis is extremely well balanced while the Punto comes with better levels of feedback. It is upto you to decide which you deem more important. Secondly, most "enthusiasts" have not driven and probably do not know how to drive at the limit of any of their vehicles. Finally, the enthusiast will not be taking any of these cars bone-stock around a track

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd June 2016 at 13:22.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:19   #144
Senior - BHPian

I have a 1.6S and use it almost everyday. Trust me, all those lap times, the drifting images ( my wallpaper ) and videos of the car going sideways don't mean much when I am going through my daily boring commutes. And even when the odd curve appears, I still cannot go flat out and enjoy it too much, as we drive on public roads, and we have enough idiots on the roads to attempt something like this without risking my safety. What I actually enjoy is the low down torque and the responsive steering, and occasionally the addictive induction noise at high rpms - everything else is just bragging rights on paper to me
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:20   #145
BHPian

OK, Lets conclude

Award for the

Fastest diesel hatch: Figo

Fastest Petrol hatch: Abarth

Fastest AT hatch: GT TSI

Hope all concerned are happy

Fastest diesel AT???? - still in the making
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:27   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Figo's chassis is extremely well balanced while the Punto comes with better levels of feedback. It is upto you to decide which you deem more important. Finally, the enthusiast will not be taking any of these cars bone-stock around a track
By enthusiast I meant a person who loves to be on the driving seat rather than sitting besides (or behind). That's why I said "average enthusiast".

Besides, while no car is a perfect car, esp in India (and more so in commuter hatchback segment), why would I spend a million on a car when a "competent" car is available at 2/3rd the price? for feedback?

I could as well spend the 1/3rd spare amount for mods and happily pass by the million rupee car nodding to the grin.

I am not taking away anything from abarth. But the way a car is "positioned" in the market, it should do justice to "that" aspect atleast. Abarth is not positioned as "the best feedback car".
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:34   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By enthusiast I meant a person who loves to be on the driving seat rather than sitting besides (or behind). That's why I said "average enthusiast".
I was indeed referring to someone who enjoys driving as well.

Quote:
Besides, while no car is a perfect car, esp in India (and more so in commuter hatchback segment), why would I spend a million on a car when a "competent" car is available at 2/3rd the price? for feedback?
Well an "enthusiast" would see the advantages of each and every car. For some a petrol is always preferable.

Quote:
I could as well spend the 1/3rd spare amount for mods and happily pass by the million rupee car nodding to the grin.
Again, like I said, no one will be interested in taking a bone-stock Punto to the track either. Money can be spent on a better gearbox and tyres

Quote:
I am not taking away anything from abarth. But the way a car is "positioned" in the market, it should do justice to "that" aspect atleast. Abarth is not positioned as "the best feedback car".
Completely agree. Infact mentioned the same in the Punto Abarth thread only to receive a lot of hate The car simply is not worthy of the Abarth badge IMO.
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:46   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I was indeed referring to someone who enjoys driving as well.

Well an "enthusiast" would see the advantages of each and every car. For some a petrol is always preferable.

Again, like I said, no one will be interested in taking a bone-stock Punto to the track either. Money can be spent on a better gearbox and tyres

Completely agree. Infact mentioned the same in the Punto Abarth thread only to receive a lot of hate The car simply is not worthy of the Abarth badge IMO.
Well, I don't want this to turn into an unnecessary debate. But then

Not only an enthusiast, every car buyer weigh the pros and cons of cars before buying. Weigh against what? Against the money one spends.

One can modify abarth as much as one wants - but to do that, he has to spend money. Abarth is anyhow a punto performance mod. And anyhow we have to pay much more than a punto to buy it. What is the point then? Buy a punto and mod it yourself with better gearbox (which you have to in an abarth too ), better tires and what not. It beats the purpose.

On a Figo (in context to the shoot-out results), one can spend less, get pretty much everything abarth has to offer, without modding it.
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:51   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not only an enthusiast, every car buyer weigh the pros and cons of cars before buying. Weigh against what? Against the money one spends.
Definitely however not everyone sees money as the sole factor.

Quote:
One can modify abarth as much as one wants - but to do that, he has to spend money. Abarth is anyhow a punto performance mod. And anyhow we have to pay much more than a punto to buy it. What is the point then? Buy a punto and mod it yourself with better gearbox (which you have to in an abarth too ), better tires and what not. It beats the purpose.
Hahaha it is not as easy as that mate. Talking is one thing, executing is another. One would have to have the engine imported (Or spend time working on the existing T-Jet engine) and swap the suspension too. Don't forget the better brakes and a new ECU. Lots of time would also be wasted on visits to the RTO to have the new specs (swapped engine) updated on your RC (if that is even possible).

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd June 2016 at 13:54.
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:06   #150
BHPian

Hate to see the Abarth getting bashed like this.

Let me try and justify why the Abarth lost out:
- Crappy JK tyres. It's a downgrade from the alnac 4Gs, so imagine how much time the car would've lost cause of wheel slippage.
- Low speed track. Diesels are known for their midrange punch and poor top end whereas the abarth shows its prowess in the upper middle and top end of the rev range. This track basically didn't allow the driver to use the abarths top end so it lost out there as well.
If the same test was carried out in Buddh, the Abarth would've come on top with a lead of a few seconds at the least.
Suraj25 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks