Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:59   #166
BHPian

Re: Overdrive's hatchback track test - Figo 1.5 diesel quickest!

Had I been in the market for a new hatch, the first one on my list would also be Abarth. I do not loathe the car, infact I long for it (It's an Abarth!!). And if I would buy it, I would be happy. I don't care for track test results.

But the fact remains, I would not mind a bit, if I choose a figo instead, and save a few lakhs too.

(P.S.) By "I", I don't mean me. I love petrol cars way more than diesels. I am just referring to common line of thoughts.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:20   #167
BANNED

I drive a city ivtec and has tested it to its limits in all parameters of handling and performance. Once I drove the abarth on Noida toll way from okhla to Noida to okhla I only fully realized this abarth is just so much fun and It was only so much joy of braking right into the curve and gunning away to glory with so much confidence. I only feel abarth is a package where u only concentrate on what's is ahead every other stuff like braking distance, handling can be left for car to handle. In fact I totally felt car talking to me is that your best Lane change stuff as I am not even able to get the leaves off the roof. I don't need reviews to tell me what is best at least for cars. I drive them and know what puts a smile to my face and outperform me is the one to put my money on.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:04   #168
Senior - BHPian

Motorbeam had published an article about two of the 'Most Entertaining' machines from 2 different genres, available in India today:

Link

Before this thread gets into another 10 pages of harping/feuding/allegations, I am just posting this here as an information.

The most "Eye-Catching" aspect IMO of the report was this:

Overdrive's hatchback track test - Figo 1.5 diesel quickest!-24516130012_c9738e4a31.jpg
Vik0728 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:08   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
All the cars have basic Mc-Pherson struts in the front and Twist beam in the rear.

There isnt anything special going on in any of the cars except that some have more power than the others. I think, in the grand scheme of things, pretty much all the cars are slow overall.
The Porsche 911 and BMW M3 used MacPherson struts up front as well. Remember the Fiesta 1.6S? That employed a twist beam rear setup too. Don't assume to know what is best just based on specs mate Save for the Jazz, these are some pretty commendable FWD hatchbacks and with some simple mods, will run much faster lap times. Easily outclassing a Honda Accord with the oh so "special" wishbone setup

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd June 2016 at 12:14.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:24   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Sure full performance potential may not have been tested but chassis characteristics have been well outlined by the test.
+1 That's the point I too was trying to make. I don't think they have used its entire potential. Again I find discrepancies about their analysis of other characteristics as well. They say that the abarth is too soft. Fiat says they have stiffened the suspension and lowered it. In fact I find some abarth owners speaking out it is really stiff too. In my experience punto is one of the best handling cars in our country followed by old gen figo as well as Polo. Cant commend on Baleno as I haven't driven it. And here we have OD saying that the lowered n stiffened version of one of the best handling cars is too soft. Whom should we believe? I guess OD was expecting it to behave like a GTI or the real abarth(but here we pay only half the money for it) Or else Fiat would've messed up things again. I haven't driven any of these cars on a track. But I've checked out the limits of my Polo and linea for a few minutes just to know how they behave when time and situations allow me to. Still not as good as a track test I know. But Fiats felt a lot better compared to the polo that too by fair margin. And mine is a 2011 Polo which I feel is stiffer than the present ones. Or else there's another twist to this story- "FEEL". Simply put even when I feel my polo is at its limits it may not be(but I've found it other way though). While on a Fiat we can simply push harder even in normal driving conditions coz you know whats going on. On a track you aren't afraid of consequences of going wrong so one can keep pushing blindly. Thus the results are very different from what we have experienced normally. Huh, OD's making me a critical analyzer I guess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
The only reason JK tyre and Mobile oil was used because they paid money to be sponsor of the test, there is no standardization involved here.

IMO the same tyre will affect all the cars same way, i don't agree to the point that some car will perform slower than others with the same set of tyres. Still with such kind of sponsorship the whole tests are questionable.
The reason I said so is because Abarth is undertyred from the factory. I dont think Figo will wheelspin like the abarth on its stock tyres. Wheelspin=lose of acceleration. So worser JKs might just aggravate the already existing issue causing the abarth to wheelspin a lot more than the figo on JKs. Infact the Abarth puts down more horses than my Jetta in a smaller shell. I know the torque n displacement is different but even the 205s on my Jetta gives up easily if driven hard, causing squealing on corners and wheelspins too. So I still feel tyres would've played a role here. Fiat should've provided the Abarth with 205/225 section tyres and without that seems like they have dug their own grave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I don't need reviews to tell me what is best at least for cars. I drive them and know what puts a smile to my face and outperform me is the one to put my money on.
Glad to find some one similar. I used to depend on reviews a lot but later found most of them were not upto the mark. May be its that feeling inside thats causing me to doubt the authenticity of this test too. Again guys I'm not in anyway trying to glorify the abarth here. I find it difficult to come to terms with the negatives they are pointing out when compared to what I've felt with these cars. Abarth is undertyred, a bit over priced, low on features, brand value is nil, service might be a hit or miss but when it comes to performance, nah sorry OD I struggle to agree with your points. I feel your team hasn't used its entire capabilities and there are some very different observations too. Strictly from my POV and I'm not an expert BTW.
End of rant.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:37   #171
Senior - BHPian

That video is without doubt the best I have seen from Overdrive. It was the first time I have come across Aditya Patel too, apart from having heard his name.

Lots of surprises from the report. Hyundai have improved the i20 chassis significantly. The Suzuki Baleno comes as the biggest surprise, the VW GT not as much. While the Abarth is fast, its not stiff enough for the kind of power available. Fiat claim to have stiffened it but probably not enough for the power on tap. The Ford Figo can't put down all the power and suffers from the most lifeless steering (Hard to believe). The less said about the Honda, the better. Unfortunate considering it does have a sweet motor.

The torque output for the GT is incorrect in the video. I do not think it is anywhere near the Abarth.

Aditya's observations on the GT are spot on with regard to the suspension. It feels more Hyundai than a VW. Surprised by his comments on the Tsi engine though. I thought it was the best in this group. Being a professional, he knows better.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 3rd June 2016 at 13:40.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 14:06   #172
Senior - BHPian

Another surprising part was praises for GT steering feedback, the steering on GT is completely dead. There is absolutely no feedback or feel. I will say its just marginally better than i20.
Rahulkool is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 14:43   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another surprising part was praises for GT steering feedback, the steering on GT is completely dead. There is absolutely no feedback or feel. I will say its just marginally better than i20.
Yep this was my biggest gripe. While the video has high production values, the information is inaccurate. GT has a numb steering - quite unlike what a sporty car should have. Its accurate no doubt, but like any other VW/Audi, offers no feedback.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:32   #174
BHPian

Quite an interesting track test. And more interesting to see pages of heated discussions, just because the Ford pony beat the Fiat racehorse. Denial!

Not going to go too much into whether the test was conducted properly. I believe the tyres must be equalized for such tests (including the sizes), but sad they could only get the JKs.

Regarding the test results:
Ford, take a bow. Its just amazing what it just did at that price.
Fiat dont take it too much to heart. Just reduce the prices.
Highly disappointed with the Honda.
prithvibelli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:36   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I will say its just marginally better than i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post

Its accurate no doubt, but like any other VW/Audi, offers no feedback.
+1 to both of your comments guys.

My previous car was a Hyundai Getz Prime and it was one of the few cars from the Korean stable who steering was pure Hydraulic

So it was a bit 'Getting Used' sort of times when I started driving my GT, after over 4yrs of owning Getz. Surely the steering was way more responsive and accurate, but lacked that feeling.

Things have improved quite a bit ever since I have upsized the tires to 205/55 and I actually realised this when I recently drove Suraj's (PSuraj) stock GT TDI. In fact he could also notice the improved steering feeling on my GT immediately when we went for a spin on my GT.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 18:55   #176
BHPian

Any updates on the diesel shootout video? Was it aired on the telly already?
Can't find it on the Youtube channel yet.
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:10   #177
Team-BHP Support

From the latest issue of Autocar India (sept 2016) -

Track: Sriperumbudur Race Track (near Chennai)
Driver: Narayan Karthikeyan

Suzuki Baleno 1.2 Petrol: 2 minutes 20.17 seconds
Ford Figo 1.5 Diesel: 2 minutes 19.89 seconds
Fiat Abarth Punto: 2 minutes 16.96 seconds

Although Abarth Punto comfortably beat Figo diesel, Karthikeyan was not impressed. He says Fiat has messed up the suspension (too soft). With stiffer suspension, apparently it would have done better.

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd September 2016 at 19:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 22:09   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Although Abarth Punto comfortably beat Figo diesel, Karthikeyan was not impressed. He says Fiat has messed up the suspension (too soft). With stiffer suspension, apparently it would have done better.
Baleno is very impressive in both track day reviews. I am eagerly waiting for 2017 track day when Narain drives Baleno Boosterjet .
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 22:42   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just curious - could you please post the times of the other cars tested?
Old 3rd September 2016, 01:42   #180
mxh
BHPian

Quote:

These times make a lot more sense than the ones in the Overdrive test. It didn't make any sense for the Figo to be close to the Abarth, let alone beat it. I wonder what the huge difference in result could be attributed to?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks