Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 17:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Karnataka proposes higher road tax for your second vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Read this - http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle3467088.ece

As mentioned in the New Indian Express :

"IF you already have a vehicle at home registered in your name and planning to buy a second one, then think twice. The state transport department has decided to increase the road tax for the second vehicle. It will apply to four-wheelers, two-wheelers, and used vehicles too."

Its kind of confusing - Is the number of vehicles tied to the registered owner OR the home ?

Prem.
More likely it'll be tied to home. Like they tied LPG cylinders to an address earlier, using Electric Meter number.

If it is the name, then it'll be meaningless as a man can buy many cars in individual family member's name.

This is not a bad policy per-se. The war on 'cars' will need many fronts, if we need to save our cities.

But, I also hope they work on alternative public-transport infra. aggressively. We are going way too slow.
Old 6th June 2016, 18:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

I find it amusing how the tax-paying citizen is supposed to shut up and pay up for the greater good, but the govt. neither feels nor takes any responsibility to do their bit.

I travel to the CBD area often over weekends, and have stopped using road transport the day Metro connectivity reached Mysore Road Jn. I ride my scooter up to the station, then take the Metro to/fro. 30 rupees and 25 mins travel time each way in a clean A/C environment with no traffic hassles, it's a no-brainer for me whatever way I look at it.

Build a robust Metro network and a good chunk of road traffic will vanish.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 18:19   #18
BHPian

Rant on :
My cynical take on this: as with most Karnataka govt policies, this is just a ploy to gain more revenue to fund their profligate spending. Karnataka has the dubious reputation for being one of the most highly taxed states in India. As a citizen it's hard to see where or how money is being spent to improve our daily lives, whether for a middle class person or for the poor.

I would also add that the attempt to regulate uber and ola appears to be a measure to gain revenue for the state and for potential personal gain. Both taxi aggregators deserve to be regulated but this should be done transparently so that we as consumers understand the benefits to us.

As always with most governments, they are always behind the curve when it comes to regulation of technology.

Rant off!
Thank you!
Old 6th June 2016, 18:35   #19
BANNED

@Viju; Are you sure that the construction of car wreckers aka Speed Breakers is not supported by some under the table payments by workshops. You are right, with Bangalore traffic a virtual gridlock who needs these.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks