Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2016, 11:13   #31
BHPian

Re: Unused Stepney - Better resale value?

The question of unused stepney's value can be ascertained only on case to case basis. As some said the spare wheel has steel rims and the tyre of different size in which case the 5th tyre cannot be rotated uniformly and can be used only in emergencies. So the value of the 5th tyre and the car does not increase in anyway if the stepney is unused. If the stepney comes with same size tyres and with uniform rims / alloys then if proper rotation of 5 tyres are not done, the value of the stepney decreases as the life of the rest 4 tyres comes down. So no fixed yardstick can be applied for evaluating the stepneys value.
Old 10th June 2016, 14:13   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The logic behind these ads is that an unused stepny, which has more thread, hence the value of the tyre added to the vehicle. Just like quoting brand new battery as a USP.

But then, I would never find it as a USP, but a downer, because unused stepny means the owner is not rotating his tyres. Similarly, he might be skipping on simple maintenance like these. Also, an unused stepny, or old and hard rubber is as good as a worn out tyre. Sometimes worse.
Tyre rotation can be effective with the 4 tyre rotation method. Spare tyre not used, does not mean tyre rotations are not done.
Old 10th June 2016, 14:23   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Tyre rotation can be effective with the 4 tyre rotation method. Spare tyre not used, does not mean tyre rotations are not done.
If you are rotating your tyres, then what is the point of not using the 5th tyre, there by reducing the overall tyre life? If you are trying to save the Stepney, then with age it anyhow deteriorates.
Old 13th June 2016, 14:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If you are rotating your tyres, then what is the point of not using the 5th tyre
The reason has been mentioned by many in previous posts. Most cars these days come with a steel rim for the stepney even if the other 4 are alloys. In some cases, the steel rim is also undersized making it just a backup/stop gap arrangement till u get the alloy repaired. You cannot continue running on it until the next tyre rotation
Old 13th June 2016, 14:37   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a 5 yr 35k kms run car. I have faced only one puncture till date and even then, it wasn't a total air loss. I drove to the nearby tyre shop who repaired the tyre without even removing it. So, technically speaking, I haven't used my stepney till date (for the its intended purpose). Had I gone for 4 tyre rotation always (instead of my usual 5 tyre), the spare would have been completely new.

Now, after knowing the back ground of my car in and out, would I pay a premium for it if I was the buyer? No. Because I know an unused 5 year old tyre is worthless, except to be strictly used as stepney for a couple of years more may be. And, I further know that the car can suffer bigger damages from one's driving style, signs of which won't be reflected in the spare tyre. I would rather look for better and authentic signs of aging in the car before I purchase it.

Last edited by ashis89 : 13th June 2016 at 14:41.
Old 8th July 2016, 20:30   #36
BHPian

Ha ha, does anyone remember those good old days pre 2000 when the dealer would slyly take out a Kenwood stereo and place it next to the key of the 800 you just saw and was drooling over- sirji, stereo itself is worth 10k, and I am asking you only 1 lac for the car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks