Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2016, 15:12   #46
BHPian

Re: May 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thank you for this analysis for the month. Going by the figures, a 200 Cr investment made by Ford on the promotional aspect seems to be a little less rewarding, with Vitara Brezza running in full swing and taking a big pie of the C-SUV segment, even with a single engine option (the national one).

When we say that market is seeing a shift towards petrol, i firmly believe that for products like Brezza and Ecosport, diesel will be the first preference for the majority. Any expectation here on what additional numbers would Brezza be able to gain with its turbo petrol once launched?

On a separate note, although, catering to a different segment with a differential pricing (when pitched against Brezza), it is indeed good to see Creta with 7k monthly numbers for Hyundai.

Last edited by CarMind : 8th June 2016 at 15:24. Reason: Spelling correction
CarMind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 15:15   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Since all Suzukis clock 5000 per month as minimum, S-Cross with a "paltry" sales of 2000 per month is considered a "failure". It's like a school kid topper who scores 98 in all subjects but "only" 82 in Maths.
Agreed, S-Cross is doing decently, the car's a rare class act from Maruti. Ownership reports forum have quite a few S-cross's, a testament to how good this car actually is. It's the only Maruti I actually Dzire!

Last edited by heavenlybull : 8th June 2016 at 15:34.
heavenlybull is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 16:28   #48
BHPian

Ciaz ruling the sales chart for C-2 segment sedans, this comes in precisely during the month when I have acquired one.

However, what disturbs me are the inconsistent sales numbers of the Kwid and the falling takers for the EcoSport. Both products come from globally renowned brands and I sincerely hope that they stay for yet longer duration on our Indian roads. It seems both of them require still more support from their respective manufacturers, to keep enticing their customers. Hope the tables turn for both these wonderful machines in the time to come, and their fortunes are revived.
Old 8th June 2016, 17:22   #49
BHPian

One thing that i don't usually get with Hyundai's I20 Elite and Active is that why are these two considered as the same entity while considering the sales figures. I20 Active has a difference price point and feature list.
Old 8th June 2016, 17:47   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinrawatdun View Post
One thing that i don't usually get with Hyundai's I20 Elite and Active is that why are these two considered as the same entity while considering the sales figures. I20 Active has a difference price point and feature list.
They are the exact same car. There's no mechanical difference and the only thing is different bumpers and extra plastic cladding. Features wise no difference as the new lights and the navigation system are available in the ELite i20 as well.

It's just like a higher decked up variant of the same car so I'm not sure why you think they should be classified differently.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 17:51   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
They are the exact same car. There's no mechanical difference and the only thing is different bumpers and extra plastic cladding. Features wise no difference as the new lights and the navigation system are available in the ELite i20 as well.

It's just like a higher decked up variant of the same car so I'm not sure why you think they should be classified differently.
mmm.. may be bacause Hyundai promotes them as two different cars!!

Does this happen for every cross version of other cars as well? I am just curious.
Old 8th June 2016, 18:13   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinrawatdun View Post
mmm.. may be bacause Hyundai promotes them as two different cars!!

Does this happen for every cross version of other cars as well? I am just curious.
It is the same in case of Etios Cross and Etios Liva. But if you consider Punto Evo and Avventura it is different, which is a better cross over than these as the investment of engineering is more.

Last edited by bageherath : 8th June 2016 at 18:19.
Old 8th June 2016, 19:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
You are surely a hater of MS with your below comments. I would just say to summarize that day in and day out, if MS were building boring and crappy cars along with pathetic reliability and after sales, they wouldn't be selling double of everyone else combined - regardless of their reach. Our entire forum wouldn't even be a minority of Maruti customers. So you shouldn't comment on our "mango" people. End of the day, sales / profits / customer satisfaction is what matters.

Rant continues because I personally found your post quite offensive to the 100k+ "mango people" who buy MS products every month... month after month!

1. Datsun: let's assume the product is better. Would you buy it if you live away from the city?

2. Ford: they've messed up themselves and so have to spend 200cr in realignment of the brand!

3. Hyundai: I don't agree - the xcent hasn't been able to do jack against the Dzire.

4. Maruti:
A. Lame face lift: ask VW and others who have a face lift every week.
B. Baleno: excluding the i20 active, elite i20 sold around 8600 units. So Baleno is at number 1 this month.
C. Snob value: no comments. Esp when compared to a Hyundai!
D. Ciaz: you said it yourself. They made a car doing well in all departments if not best in all. Peace of mind - shaanti!
E. Dzire: what's a better no nonsense car?
F. People using brains: I mean cmon now - this is just offensive!!! Are you saying thousands of people are brainless and you are the only brainy fellow for not liking this car?
G. Brezza: how can price difference without knowing the cost or profit justify it being called a winner? If you have these figures for both the cars then please do share.

5. Tata: enough said already!
Reliability, customer experience and all that aside, I would still consider Maruti being a top dog something that shouldn't be rejoiced. Maruti's cars have time and again proven to be extremely unsafe. Living in a country with such unsafe roads, I believe above all, safety is one of the foremost criterions we need to contend with.

Unless companies like Maruti and Hyundai mend their ways, these figures will only bring frustration to the knowledgable people like the one's on T-BHP. Eagerly awaiting the BNCAP to kick and hoping they would be at least as strict as the GNCAP regulations.
prakhar1998 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 21:16   #54
BHPian

One more reason for Maruti and Hyundai doing well is the number of models they sell, the range. To top it, is the reliability of their products across the range. As a consumer I prefer to shopping in a store which has everything and not just one or two odd things. It builds my confidence in the brand. Let us take Fords example. Would they still do the same numbers if they had say 15 models to sell in India. No! Right from 3 Lacs to 60 lacs. The more the products you offer the better are your chances of staying afloat/doing good. Its kind of share market / Mutual fund portfolio theory. Diversification is always good.

Tata is an exception to this theory because of the image problem.

Between, Honda's fall should be cause of worry for Honda management.

With the last three launches Maruti has kicked others exactly where it hurts. City with Ciaz. Compact Sedans with Baleno and Ecosport with Brezza.

Sad to see Aspire and Figo numbers. There is no going up from here. With Nigel Harris gone, lets see what the new MD brings to Ford.

Last edited by AKTRACK : 8th June 2016 at 21:18. Reason: Addtional info.
AKTRACK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 22:24   #55
BHPian

MS is almost fifty percent now. And the second players is at eighteen percent. I am curious to know about the other countries in the world, where one single automobile company has similar monopoly. May be there will be some trends.
Old 9th June 2016, 00:38   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post

5. Tata: enough said already!

Zest is leaps and bounds better than DZire and XCent as a product. It may not have the Maruti scale of after sales support. And no, I'm not a Maruti hater. I have owned/driven a Swift VDi for 7 years and now the Zest for last 15 months.
balajisv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 02:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruba_Nazira View Post
MS is almost fifty percent now. And the second players is at eighteen percent. I am curious to know about the other countries in the world, where one single automobile company has similar monopoly. May be there will be some trends.

Hyundai and Kia combined has a market share of more than 50% in South Korea. Traditionally Hyundai alone used to have 40% market share, after acquiring Kia their combined share has reached 70%.

In US markets, we will find GM as leader with 18-20% market share followed by Ford and Toyota
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 08:59   #58
BHPian

The Hyundai Eon and the Renault Kwid losing a chunk of sales, I wonder this might be the effect of the recently conducted crash tests by Global NCAP in which they failed.
But I see no change in the sales of the Scorpio, Eeco, Celerio though.
That's strange!
Or am I missing something?
Old 9th June 2016, 09:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Hyundai and Kia combined has a market share of more than 50% in South Korea. Traditionally Hyundai alone used to have 40% market share, after acquiring Kia their combined share has reached 70%.

In US markets, we will find GM as leader with 18-20% market share followed by Ford and Toyota

Yes, Hyundai has similar monopoly in South Korea with more than 50% market share. The second brand at about 15%, the scene is very much like that of India.
However, USA seems to be having healthier market with no brand having any monopoly. The competition is almost neck to neck for many brands.

Source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/market-share/
Attached Thumbnails
May 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-ttacusamarch2015autobrandmarketsharechart.png  

Dhruba_Nazira is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

The SHVS gamble has played off well for MSIL. To me this is one of the principal reasons of Ciaz making it to the top of C2 segment with 5000+ copies in the month of May 16.

Innova on the other hand shows a promising 7000+ dispatches but I am sure the ban in NCR and Southern state of Kerala will pinch Toyota in the months to come. The May dispatches may not be sustainable unless large purchase hubs like NCR starts giving the business to company. The dealerships in Delhi are only depending upon Corolla for their sales number; Etios is not moving fast enough and SUV is out of bound in Delhi.

It would be interesting to see the strategy of Ford (with much hyped investment of INR 2000 million) as Ecosport is showing downward trend in sales and only Endy is bringing fresh customers to the showrooms

I met sales head of Kashyap Fiat a few days ago and he hinted launch of Jeep in July - I seriously doubt though; nonetheless Fiat is enjoying engine sales and not interested in sale of cars, nothing more can be said.

With new launches from Tata round the corner, I see festive season to be vibrant this time.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks