Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2016, 07:44   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Superb to get 'dynamic chassis control' in India

Skoda Superb to get dynamic chassis control - Currently offered in overseas markets, the DCC suite to be seen on the India-spec Superb soon.

Quote:
The Superb currently sold in India, has the three settings but applicable to the engine, gearbox and steering only. With the India car getting a ‘rough road’ suspension setup with a higher ground clearance, engineering and tuning the specific dampers for adaptive control is an added cost that Skoda had previously avoided. However, Skoda will now introduce the adaptive dampers to complete the DCC suite of controls for the Indian Superb. Fine tuning the suspension system will take some time and thus it may take until 2017 for the tech to roll out.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ol-402219.aspx
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 09:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Skoda Superb to get dynamic chassis control - Currently offered in overseas markets, the DCC suite to be seen on the India-spec Superb soon.
Not sure what Skoda India was smoking when they planned for months w.r.t. SKD kit for India. Now, AFTER launching a desirable and expensive sedan, they announce that only in 2017 will they introduce DCC?

Amazing lack of planning and respect for their customers. I can just imagine those loyal Skoda buyers who have taken delivery of their new Superbs to be goggling at this news, and immediately descend on their dealers who are even more clueless about this!

And it takes till 2017 to 'tune' the suspension. What do they think their cars are and what do they think of Indian roads? Surely it can't take that long!

Last edited by itwasntme : 9th June 2016 at 09:52. Reason: Grammar
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 18:14   #3
BHPian

They could have kept introduction of this feature for facelift if this is going to take time till 2017. Few questions -

1) Will existing owners be able to upgrade to this system?
2) If yes, will be it be free or paid?
3) If not, they are certainly going to feel left out.
4) Will there be price increase with superb having this new feature?
Old 9th June 2016, 19:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2mayank View Post
They could have kept introduction of this feature for facelift if this is going to take time till 2017. Few questions -

1) Will existing owners be able to upgrade to this system?
2) If yes, will be it be free or paid?
3) If not, they are certainly going to feel left out.
4) Will there be price increase with superb having this new feature?
1. Probably but its a 750GBP option in the UK at least. From what I gather, it is essentially electrically operated variable dampers that is extra, the rest of the adjustments can be handled by the ECU with the appropriate software updates.
2. Nothing is free from Skoda India!
3. They certainly will!
4. Knowing Skoda, YES!
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 00:55   #5
BHPian

I doubt if Skoda is 'tuning' the setup only for India. Currently the rough road package (RRP) includes a different spring set (for the extra GC) and perhaps different struts also (not sure of this part though). Electronically adjustable dampers are currently mated only to the standard euro spec suspension, not with the RRP one. The TSI in India has RRP standard, don't know if the diesel also has it (considering the lower GC on spec sheets).

Among second gen Superbs sold in India, the 3.6 had the same euro spec suspension setup (unlike its 2.0TDI and 1.8TSI siblings which had RRP as std option). And yes, it was noticably stiffer and not what you normally expect from cars in the segment. If they work out something for India, effectively they can use it in other markets also in combination with RRP.

I am not an expert for making a comment on how long such a process would take. But if I were Skoda, I would have rather chosen to keep quiet and roll out the feature along with a model year change / facelift.

-- Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 15:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

It is a 750 pound option in the UK variant of the Superb, so I'm quite sure they will not offer it as a standard feature in India at current prices.

Apparently this adjusts the damper settings, but is not an adaptable right height suspension.

Last edited by VeluM : 10th June 2016 at 15:42.
Old 10th June 2016, 15:54   #7
BHPian

Looks like the Dynamic Chassis Control was planned on the eve of the launch itself. I just went by the review again and found this. They have saved up Navigation and DCC for their next facelift I'm assuming.

If I'm not wrong adaptive dampers are a segment first and this I believe is a brilliant thing to have. While it may sound gimmick-y, the whole car character stands to change now through those twisties. I hope they don't charge silly money for it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Indian Superb gets the 'rough road package'. Plastic protective plate underneath. While the ground clearance is rated as 164 mm on the petrol and 149 mm on the diesel, we hear from company sources that the two cars actually have the same 164 mm ride height. The difference in rating is because of a new feature that *might* follow later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ol-402219.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
I doubt if Skoda is 'tuning' the setup only for India. Currently the rough road package (RRP) includes a different spring set (for the extra GC) and perhaps different struts also (not sure of this part though). Electronically adjustable dampers are currently mated only to the standard euro spec suspension, not with the RRP one. The TSI in India has RRP standard, don't know if the diesel also has it (considering the lower GC on spec sheets).

Among second gen Superbs sold in India, the 3.6 had the same euro spec suspension setup (unlike its 2.0TDI and 1.8TSI siblings which had RRP as std option). And yes, it was noticably stiffer and not what you normally expect from cars in the segment. If they work out something for India, effectively they can use it in other markets also in combination with RRP.

I am not an expert for making a comment on how long such a process would take. But if I were Skoda, I would have rather chosen to keep quiet and roll out the feature along with a model year change / facelift.

-- Avinash
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 15:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why din't skoda wait and launched the car with DCC, Could have given them more boost while advertising their product, Anyways i feel price might be increased a bit with this addition.
Old 13th June 2016, 13:33   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb to get 'dynamic chassis control' in India

Mod Note: News moved out to its own thread.
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda testing out the DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) in the new Superb?

No other reason for this undisguised Superb to accompany the Ameo TDI and the Vento TDI on a testing run on the Mumbai-Pune expressway.

Old 2nd August 2016, 20:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

^ That car is a mixed bag, it has L&K badge on the side but running on base model (Style Variant) rims
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks