Team-BHP - Scoop! Volvo S90 arrives in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Scoop! Volvo S90 arrives in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/177293-scoop-volvo-s90-arrives-india.html)

Team-BHP's Volvo S90 review is live. Please continue the discussion in the new thread.

A single unit of the Volvo S90 has arrived in India. This indicates that the Swedish automaker is planning to launch the car in India at a later date in 2016. Once launched, the S90 sedan will go head-on against rivals like the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Audi A6, BMW 5-Series, and the Jaguar XF.

Volvo introduced the S90 premium sedan at the 2016 Detroit Motor Show earlier this year. This car is Volvo's ticket to the mid-size luxury sedan segment. It is built on the company's latest design language, and thus shares various design cues with its crossover sibling - the XC90. The front fascia of the Volvo S90 gets a vertically slated, long grille, which is surrounded by a pair of headlamps that feature Volvo's characteristic Thor hammer DRLs. A long front bonnet, sleek fog lamps, and a slim horizontal air-dam constitute the other design elements of the S90. The sedan has a prominent shoulder line runs along the length of the car, just below the chrome window lining. The rear end constitutes large, C-shaped LED taillights, dual exhaust tips, and the Volvo badge on the boot lid.

On the inside, the S90 follows Volvo's new 'less is more' philosophy, and thus gets minimal buttons and knobs. Most of the important and frequently used features of the car can be controlled through a 9-inch Sensus touchscreen infotainment system, which is placed in the centre console.

The Volvo S90 borrows its engines from the XC90. Thus, in India, it is likely to get a 2.0-litre, inline 4-cylinder diesel engine, which develops 222 BHP @ 4,250 rpm and a peak torque of 470 Nm @ 1,750-2,500 rpm.

Scoop! Volvo S90 arrives in India-volvo-s90-1.jpg

Scoop! Volvo S90 arrives in India-volvos90websdx4c0006.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Volvo should strike while the iron is hot. New E Class is held up due to the ongoing emission debate. BMW 520d is rather common and not so great in the back. Audi A6 is towards the end of its life. Only other rival is the forthcoming Jaguar XK which will be priced exhorbitantly!

Volvo S90 appears in its website - Launching soon.

Scoop! Volvo S90 arrives in India-capture.jpg

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

This news is delightful. I spoke to the manager of the service centre I frequent for my Volvo XC60 and he mentioned he is undergoing training on the S.90 which includes 2 tests he has to pass. According to him the launch is by end-2016. I have been sworn to secrecy so like an 8 year old I will now beseech you not to tell anyone!!

E-class, A.6, Volvo S.90 ..... good choice to pick from.

D4 variant has been imported. Powered by 2.0L diesel engine, capable of 190 HP@4250 RPM and maximum torque of 400 Nm@1750-2500 RPM.

D4 comes with a 6-speed manual transmission and does the 0 - 100 km/h sprint in 8.2 seconds.

Scoop! Volvo S90 arrives in India-capture.jpg

Source: Zauba
S90 Specifications

The D4 engine comes with FWD only. The D5 has AWD hardware and 232 horses. I hope they get the D5 as well to India and maybe the T6 with 316HP for folks like me who do not like the diesel.

@Senna4Ever: Both have an 8 speed slushbox sourced from Aisin not a 6 speed. Its the same unit that exists in most Lexus cars and the BMW X1.

Rumour: Volvo India to launch S90 sedan in September 2016

Volvo is preparing to launch the S90 premium sedan in India in the month of September. Once launched, the Volvo S90 will compete against the likes of Audi A6, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, BMW 5-series, and Jaguar XF.

The S90 will be a replacement of the ageing S80 sedan, which is currently on offer in the Indian market. The S90 is clearly inspired by its SUV sibling, the Volvo XC90. As a result, it gets a similar vertically slatted front grille, and slimmer headlamps with Volvo's signature 'Thor Hammer' LED DRLs. Resemblance with the XC90 continues inside the cabin, as the S90 features similar steering and instrument cluster layout, and the large portrait-style touchscreen infotainment system.

Prices of the Volvo S90 in India will probably start at around Rs. 46 lakh (ex-showroom).

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4004602)

Prices of the Volvo S90 in India will probably start at around Rs. 46 lakh (ex-showroom).

If they manage that price, Volvo could for once be a part of the luxury car segment in India. The S90 will several customers purely based on its front end looks and large infotainment screen.

Personally, the back is just way too ugly for my liking.

This is what I am most excited about:
Volvo to enable radar-based safety systems on S90, XC90 in India

It's high time the luxury car manufacturers provide the features that are now standard in Europe and the US. Especially since the Govt of India has deregulated the radar bands being used for these driver aids/active safety features.

I wish they would launch the V90 also. The rear end of the V90 is way better than that of the S90.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4004626)

Personally, the back is just way too ugly for my liking.

They should also get the v90 which is better than the s90 in every way - beautiful rear, way more space for stuff and barely any difference in weight for not much more money. It's the return of the luxury estate car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 4001550)
The D4 engine comes with FWD only. The D5 has AWD hardware and 232 horses. I hope they get the D5 as well to India and maybe the T6 with 316HP for folks like me who do not like the diesel.

@Senna4Ever: Both have an 8 speed slushbox sourced from Aisin not a 6 speed. Its the same unit that exists in most Lexus cars and the BMW X1.

How about the T8:D
I think I would love that.
Only have to find a thicker wallet:uncontrol

Pre-bookings open now!

Volvo India has started accepting the bookings for its to be launched luxury sedan - the S90. It is based on Volvo's newly developed Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) technology.

Tom Von Bonsdorff, MD, Volvo Auto India claims that it would house everything that one expected from a luxurious sedan in terms of feel, look and design without any compromise on comfort.

Source : http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...sedan/53062960

Autocar Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVehN-2FuVc

I just love the new exterior design language of Volvo. Especially the Thor hammer daylight running lamps. They started it with XC90 and now the S90 is another cool customer.

It's just at the rear that they seemed to run out of creativity.

Drive on,
Shibu.