Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2016, 15:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Montero back in India @ Rs 68 lakh!

Mitsubishi are crazy. For this price we can easily purchase Discovery Sport from Land Rover, who would ever think about a Montero ?
Old 28th August 2016, 18:26   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Are these people smokin' something'?
80 Lacs Rupees on Road for a Mitsubishi Pajero/ Montero?
Is this even real?
It is the previous generation vehicle anywhere else abroad but in India appears to be being fobbed off as "NEW".

The Montero used to be available in 2007-2009 for about 40 lacs on road and even then there were few takers. Now I think all those few Monteros sold at the time must be lurking in the dust somewhere or else their owners have probably moved them off to their "farmhouses" or whatever. There aren't even any in the used car market - the last one I saw on Carwale was in 2011 and the fellow wanted 24 lacs or something.

Seriously ridiculous.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 06:31   #33
Team-BHP Support

Mitsubishi's debacles in India notwithstanding, the Montero (Pajero in other markets) continues to be a well-sorted, reliable product. Despite it's lack of fancy gizmos associated with most modern 4x4s, it continues to perform its tasks of being a reliable off-roader. The biggest strength and testament to the Pajero's reliability is it's repeat customer base. I am a member of an online Pajero community called the Pajero Club of Victoria, and the sheer number of people who have owned 3 generations of the Pajero is mind blowing.

I've always loved the Pajero and used the opportunity i had to buy a pre-owned one, here in Australia. Mechanically, this is no different from the latest version, which can be considered both a bad as well as good thing, depending on your perspective. Did a trip to the outback last Xmas and it continues to hold its forte among much more expensive off-roaders. Some pics from the travelogue:

Mitsubishi Montero back in India @ Rs 68 lakh!-enroute-bunya-5-img_0967.jpg

Mitsubishi Montero back in India @ Rs 68 lakh!-fishers-4-img_1039.jpg

Mitsubishi Montero back in India @ Rs 68 lakh!-img_1230.jpg

Link to the travelogue : OutbackTrip (Our venture at exploring the Australian Outback)
benbsb29 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 12:39   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This has happened, Nissan has purchased a 34% stake in Mitsubishi Motors. I hope this is for the better. If Nissan can club Mitsubishi with its global Nissan-Renault group, the brand will gain a lot.
Oh wow ! This has happened !

Brilliant, now lets wait and see what they come up with. They do make an excellent combo. But what to look out for is, of course the future of those formidable Pajeros and its siblings !

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Mitsubishi's debacles in India notwithstanding, the Montero (Pajero in other markets) continues to be a well-sorted, reliable product. Despite it's lack of fancy gizmos associated with most modern 4x4s, it continues to perform its tasks of being a reliable off-roader. The biggest strength and testament to the Pajero's reliability is it's repeat customer base. I am a member of an online Pajero community called the Pajero Club of Victoria, and the sheer number of people who have owned 3 generations of the Pajero is mind blowing.
Yes, yours is an interesting travelogue.

My brother in Perth was looking for an SUV replacement for his Petrol quenching Mazda CX - 9.

He was left with Pajero 3.2 (Not sure of the models) and Prado 2.8 GXL. He told me about the popularity of this Mitsubishi and his friends even pushed him towards the Pajero.

But his requirements made him book and get the Prado GXL, which according to him is newer and more economical diesel than the Pajero he found. !

Pajero 3.2 (Pic Courtesy : www.caradvice.com.au)
Mitsubishi Montero back in India @ Rs 68 lakh!-2016_mitsubishi_pajero_australia_01.jpg

Toyota Prado offering in Australia. I think the one right in front is the GXL (top end) (Courtesy : www.themotorreport.com.au)
Mitsubishi Montero back in India @ Rs 68 lakh!-2016_toyota_prado_australia_090901750x400.jpg
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 23:10   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am waiting for them to launch the multi colored "yellow and white" or "red and white "Montero before I pick one up.

Do Mitsubish dealers get some sort of Govt aid to survive?
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 01:33   #36
BHPian

There is no point in investing almost the price of a Q7 for Pajero. The same car is priced at 16.5L INR in UAE. This couldn't catch up to the market there because of stability concerns during 4X4 usage, especially in deserts.

To get at-least some confusion for the buyers of the segment, they should have priced it somewhere in the 30-35L segment. Currently available Pajero Sport, including discounts, costs 32L in Bangalore, which should be made available for 29-30L [without discounts] to offer a descent competition.

Honestly I feel Pajero sport is a much better car than Fortuner, but not as good as the all new Endeavour. But it deserves much better reception than what its gets from the current market.

Mitsubishi should plan to provide atleast one reliable service station in 150 Kms on the highways across the country for these cruisers down the line with in 2 years (max), if India means something for them. Also, they need to work on the quality of the existing service centers along with the availability and pricing of the parts. New mid range family sedan is a must along with a good looking hatch, to sustain here.

Else, they can continue the tough competition with GM and race for a faster vanish from the country. Once Nissan starts launching their REAL small/medium/large SUV's, its tough to beat the heat !

Mitsubishi, are you listening !!!
Old 30th August 2016, 10:57   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Yes, yours is an interesting travelogue.
Thanks Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
My brother in Perth was looking for an SUV replacement for his Petrol quenching Mazda CX - 9.

He was left with Pajero 3.2 (Not sure of the models) and Prado 2.8 GXL. He told me about the popularity of this Mitsubishi and his friends even pushed him towards the Pajero.

But his requirements made him book and get the Prado GXL, which according to him is newer and more economical diesel than the Pajero he found. !

Pajero 3.2 (Pic Courtesy : www.caradvice.com.au)
Attachment 1548243

Toyota Prado offering in Australia. I think the one right in front is the GXL (top end) (Courtesy : www.themotorreport.com.au)
Attachment 1548244
The Prado is a competent product, and owes its success greatly to the Toyota brand and its halo effect in Australia, just like in the rest of the world. There are some things which set the Prado apart as a ready for use off-roader/tourer.
  • The Prado comes with a 120 litre fuel tank direct from the factory, which helps provide superior range when traversing a big country which can get very remote once you head to the outbacks.
  • Extensive range of after-market accessories across a variety of brands, which present the customer with choices.
  • Ignorance of customers towards other brands, leaving behind the Toyota as the relative obvious choice.
In terms of fuel economy, the Prado and the Pajero are more or less evenly matched, but the Prado has received a more updated engine recently, which makes it appear more modern. The Pajero in turn continues with the same tried and tested mill seen since the NT series.

In other news, with Jeep deciding to price out the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler in India at prices higher than the Montero ex-showroom, the Montero suddenly appears to be better priced.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 12:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
The Prado is a competent product, and owes its success greatly to the Toyota brand and its halo effect in Australia, just like in the rest of the world. There are some things which set the Prado apart as a ready for use off-roader/tourer.
Thanks for your insights Bensb.

Yes, the capabilities of the Pajero and Prado are different. My brother is not a regular tourer and not too much into off roading.

Quote:
  • The Prado comes with a 120 litre fuel tank direct from the factory, which helps provide superior range when traversing a big country which can get very remote once you head to the outbacks.
  • Extensive range of after-market accessories across a variety of brands, which present the customer with choices.
  • Ignorance of customers towards other brands, leaving behind the Toyota as the relative obvious choice.
I am sure my brother would have no such idea about what you have mentioned here. I should have actually sourced you for tips on his purchase.

Quote:
In terms of fuel economy, the Prado and the Pajero are more or less evenly matched, but the Prado has received a more updated engine recently, which makes it appear more modern. The Pajero in turn continues with the same tried and tested mill seen since the NT series.
Fuel economy is his biggest concern. He is anticipating something around 200 Km everyday in his new project, and hence the upgrade.

And as you said, the appearance had a lot to do, in the purchase.

Quote:
In other news, with Jeep deciding to price out the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler in India at prices higher than the Montero ex-showroom, the Montero suddenly appears to be better priced.
True may be. But I would rather differ here.

Montero looks aged ! I feel that there would never be any comparison between the Jeeps or the other Germans with that of the Mitsubishi. Somehow thats how it has been.

We (most of the indian customers) expand our budgets the max to accommodate the Premiums, along with Merc, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover & now the Jeep. Pricing is still on the higher side to attract sales, or else they should have a fresher looking car.

There may be very few people who look at the capability of the vehicle.

* Totally my personal opinion
Old 31st August 2016, 19:03   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not just the Montero, the Q7, GLS, Range Rover Evoque, Discovery Sport, BMW X5 etc seems fairly priced in relation to Jeep
Old 1st September 2016, 10:50   #40
BHPian

I laughed in the dealer's face when he told me "about 80lacs".

a few days later at laughed when I heard Wrangler was coming priced 350% higher than the US market price.

Very clearly, these are companies looking take money from people desperate for automotive jewelry. It just blows my mind that they are looking to sell 4 cylinder engines suited to the 25lac class, in vehicles costing 3 times at much.

And look at the price of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. S Class money for a GC?

What madness. I suppose it was inevitable when Toyota increased the price of the Prado by 30 lacs and the LC200 by 50 lacs, just like that.

Anyway, I want manual transmission, and neither the Montero nor the Wrangler have manuals.

I think I need to just find a minty condition Pajero SFX and store it for when my current one wears out. I love the Pajero SFX to death.

Mitsubishi, Jeep and Toyota can go to hell.
Harbir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 13:04   #41
BHPian

Refreshed Mitsubishi Montero Launched!

Mitsubishi has relaunched the Montero @ 68 Lacs!!

Further read - http://indianautosblog.com/2016/09/r...rior-in-images
vinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 14:39   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Refreshed Mitsubishi Montero Launched!

Already stale threads on this and people have lost interest.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ings-open.html
Old 2nd November 2016, 14:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Montero back in India @ Rs 68 lakh!

2016 Mitsubishi Montero launched at Rs 71.06 lakh

Quote:
In 2014, Mitsubishi discontinued the Montero in India. But now, for 2016, the carmaker has relaunched an updated version of the SUV, and it looks like it means business. But does it do justice to its price tag?

As far as looks go, the new Montero has those classic SUV rugged lines, but seem toned down from that seen on the boxy Pajeros of the past. It still has the horizontally lined front grille which contains directed vents that channel air to cool all engine pistons equally. The air dam and front bumper, however, have been revised, and it also gets DRLs integrated into the bumper, near the fog lamps. The side profile is similar to the older model's, but gets a rear wheel arch that flows all the way to the rear end of the car. The SUV also gets fog lamps at the rear for night driving.

It comes with the same 3.2 litre, 16-valve, DOHC, direct injection, diesel engine that has been tweaked for a more refined performance and smoother torque delivery. It churns out a peak power of 192hp at 3,800 rpm, and has a peak torque output of 441Nm at 2,000rpm. The car has a five-speed automatic gearbox and true to its off-road credentials, gets four driveline modes – 2WD High (2-H), 4WD High (4-H), 4WD High with locked center differential (4-HLc), and 4WD low with locked center differential (4-LLc). All modes can be changed on the go, except for the 4-LLc mode. Suspension duties are handled by a double-wishbone setup at the front and a multi-link setup at the rear.
Link: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-403404.aspx
Old 4th November 2016, 00:10   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
2016 Mitsubishi Montero launched at Rs 71.06 lakh

Have you actually taken the time to read this thread?
Old 4th November 2016, 00:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Haven't read the full thread, but, I thought maybe they jacked up the price even further to 71 lacs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks