Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2016, 19:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Updated Chevrolet Tavera in the works, will get BSIV engine

General Motors India have officially announced that they are working on an updated version of the Chevrolet Tavera MPV, which will come with a BSIV engine. Currently, the Tavera is powered by a BSIII engine, which has been discontinued from all metro cities as it failed to comply with the Government's emission standards.

The new Tavera would be produced at the company's Halol plant in Gujarat. The new Tavera is expected to come with some exterior and interior modifications, in order to make it a worthy competitor in the narrowing MPV space.

GM has been trying to shut down operations at its manufacturing facility in Halol, Gujarat, as the company plans to shift its entire manufacturing process to its other plant in Talegaon, Maharashtra. But a recent announcement from the American automaker suggests that the Halol factory will continue its operations till March 2017. This extension will give time for the employees, suppliers and stakeholders for a smooth and orderly transition.

In addition to the Tavera, Chevrolet India will be launching many new products in the next 24 months, including the new Trailblazer, the next-gen Beat, Essentia compact sedan, and production version of the Beat Activ concept that was showcased at this year's auto expo.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 23rd June 2016 at 19:25.
dZired is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 22:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updated Chevrolet Tavera in the works, will get BSIV engine

The World is moving on, and here we have GM living life backwards. First the old Beat with a facelift being announced as the next-gen Beat for us Indians, and then 2 more products based on the same old Beat platform. And now this !
ARAI should actually stop any further variants of Tavera, till they complete the recall of the 1.4 Lakh polluting old Taveras that are still plying on our roads.
aravind.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 23:40   #3
BHPian

They might as well use the higher end variant of the 1.3L they deploy in the Indonesian version of Sail and add an automatic option and save on the r&d and ignite some value into the tavera. Anyways it's an old model
Old 24th June 2016, 02:58   #4
BHPian

I am so excited!

This advanced SUV will definitely shut down the competition. Move over XUV and Crysta! Think about it, what's more practical and usable than a BSIV engine! It's just not a worthy competitor. It's the king of the road.

Cabbies will be happy that now they can sport an ultra-modern American designed machine on Indian road.

Fortuner and Endeavour better look out! This has got winner written all over it. I also sincerely believe that EcoSport and the Creta will lose their numbers once this hits the showrooms. Even Vitara Brezza will have an uphill task.

Good job, GM! You've yet again proved you're the best in the business.
Mad Max is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 07:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

GM at it again. The 'new' Beat and a 'new' Tavera. (There is a report that the new Beat will be launched in 2017) As GTO says, let them launch the Astra again.

GM better get their socks up and do better. Good products from any manufacturer can sell. Renault Kwid has proved that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
ultra-modern American designed machine
The Tavera is nothing but a badge-engineered Isuzu Panther. The design is Japanese.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 24th June 2016 at 07:39.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 08:41   #6
BHPian

The world has moved on and we still have GM giving us models from yesterday. Atleast make sure you upgrade the interiors and price it aggressively so it becomes the poor man's proper MPV.

If not, I doubt it will sell at at least the original 1K per month number.

Baffles me : How can a company such as GM paying huge salaries to its so called leaders have nothing to show for its Indian operations? What is its road map back to relevance?

A company in a leadership position like Toyota voluntarily replaces its best selling model and succeeds not once but twice. How can they not learn from such obvious market success stories. Why launch products like the Sail twins and continue with them when you can do so much more?

Working in GM must be a dream job if this level of non performance goes unnoticed by the bosses
charanreddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 10:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
General Motors India have officially announced that they are working on an updated version of the Chevrolet Tavera MPV, which will come with a BSIV engine.
I thought the Enjoy MPV was replacement for Tavera. I have seen few of them being used as cabs in Bangalore. Now there is news that GM is planning to discontinue Enjoy MPV.
Old 24th June 2016, 11:28   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I thought the Enjoy MPV was replacement for Tavera. I have seen few of them being used as cabs in Bangalore. Now there is news that GM is planning to discontinue Enjoy MPV.
Even Cheverolet was thinking the same, I guess. But the sales chart shows a different thing. Tavera is selling 4 times that of Enjoy (~800 vs ~200).

And this should be part of Chevrolet's decision to stop production of nearly 50 models world-wide.

Quote:
This advanced SUV will definitely shut down the competition. Move over XUV and Crysta! Think about it, what's more practical and usable than a BSIV engine! It's just not a worthy competitor. It's the king of the road.

Cabbies will be happy that now they can sport an ultra-modern American designed machine on Indian road.

Fortuner and Endeavour better look out! This has got winner written all over it. I also sincerely believe that EcoSport and the Creta will lose their numbers once this hits the showrooms. Even Vitara Brezza will have an uphill task.
You are talking about the same Tavera we see on Indian roads, right? Or something different?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th June 2016 at 22:14. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Thanks!
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 11:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think its got more to do with keeping Halol plant functioning till the time they sort out its closure and the transition to the Talegaon plant and the fact that, surprisingly, Tavera is their best seller. It outsells the Enjoy too.

In such a scenario, it does make sense for them to continue making / upgrading the Tavera, considering its their only cash cow, at the moment. And continue manufacturing it at Halol, making sure some revenue is generated from the plant.

Quote:
According to GM India president and managing director Kaher Kazem, this move gives more time to ensure an orderly transition for employees, suppliers and other stakeholders as the company continues to work through options for the facility.

The Tavera factor

Another major reason for the automaker to go back on its decision to close the Halol operations is the success of the Chevrolet Tavera relative to its other models.

The Tavera contributes more than one-third of General Motors’ India sales and has been its flagship product since it was launched in 2003. The Tavera and the Enjoy—both manufactured in Halol—together account for more than half the company’s sales in the country.

In the year to 31 March, sales of the Tavera dropped 22%. Sales of the Enjoy fell 43% in the same period.

The company plans to slowly phase out the Enjoy, creating more space for manufacturing the BS IV-compliant Tavera

Source: Livemint

Last edited by ashutoshb : 24th June 2016 at 11:36.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 16:25   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Another week, another Chevrolet joke. Sometimes I wonder if these news items are indeed true (which unfortunately they are), or if Chevrolet is pulling a fast one on us.

The lazy company is thinking of 'BSIV' in an environment where 'BSVI' is being discussed! What a bunch of monkeys.

General 'shortcut' Motors had earlier sourced BSIV engines from ICML - related thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
They might as well use the higher end variant of the 1.3L
1.3L engine in a 1,600 kilo MUV? I don't think so.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 17:00   #11
BANNED

Quote:
I am so excited!
Good job, GM! You've yet again proved you're the best in the business.
Absolutely! And don't forget the Ertiga, Winger, Stile, Eeco and the rest - they'll all be running for cover now! GM always manages to redeem itself.
Old 24th June 2016, 17:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
They might as well use the higher end variant of the 1.3L they deploy in the Indonesian version of Sail and add an automatic option and save on the r&d and ignite some value into the tavera. Anyways it's an old model
What?? No way that will be possible. The Tavera is a pretty huge bruiser you cannot go plonking in a tiny 1.3 in it just based on peak power and torque figures mate

On a more serious note, does Chevrolet plan on slashing the price of this thing? That would make it a pretty lucrative deal IMO. I always preferred the Tavera over the original Innova but then Chevrolet never bothered updating the vehicle to keep up. If they launch it at 7-10 lakhs, would it not be a good abuse friendly people mover? Perhaps the poor man's Innova Certainly a more durable better option IMO than the Mobilio/Ertiga/BR-V

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th June 2016 at 18:02.
Old 24th June 2016, 17:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

First I thought they put the 'I' of roman number in the wrong place. Then it struck me that they are actually meaning BS IV (4)

Seriously, what is wrong with these guys, the Tavera is not going to sell even with a (new ?) BS4 engine. I understand that Halol plant needs to be running but then why run it half heartedly ?
They should have updated the Tavera three/four years back, it would have been a winner for them now at least in the taxi market.
GM is royally doomed in India is what I can say.
Old 24th June 2016, 17:46   #14
BHPian

Wasn't there another thread which said GM is mulling over stopping the Tavera and Sail twins in India and now this? We have cars like the Innova crysta kinda setting industry benchmarks and then GM which is waking up after the party is over. Are they even sure of their strategy for India int he first place?
Old 24th June 2016, 18:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Wasn't there another thread which said GM is mulling over stopping the Tavera and Sail twins in India and now this?
The other thread you are talking about was regarding GM discontinuing the Enjoy MPV and Sail in India.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks