Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2016, 18:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Honda Accord Hybrid launched at Rs. 37 lakh

As mentioned earlier, this seems like a dead on arrival model for Honda. Speaking as an owner of the last generation of Accords that were sold in India, I couldn't imagine anybody spending so much on this car.

It might have made more sense to assemble and sell the diesel variant instead of the hybrid CBU. This could have benefited the CRV as well. However clearly Honda seems to have a different (weird? ) plan.
mrpitt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 20:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Considering Camry Hybrid in Bangalore is 33.2 lakh Ex-Showroom, this is too expensive. The price difference will be the fuel and maintenance expense for the first owner of the car.

This gives the opportunity for Toyota to price the next gen Camry well.

Dead on Arrival? Most Likely.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th October 2016 at 20:11.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 20:14   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The 2016 Honda Accord Hybrid has been launched in India at a price of Rs. 37 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
So technically, there is ~25 lakh gap between City & Accord.

For that amount, one can buy any of the following cars between Honda City & Accord Hybrid:

- Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Ambition Plus
- VW Jetta 2.0 Highline TDI DSG

Or

Get one of the following cars and still save a lot:

- Skoda Superb L&K TSI AT (~37 lakhs OTR B'lore)
- Skoda Superb L&K TDI AT (~39 Lakhs OTR B'lore)
- Toyota Camry (Non-Hybrid) AT (~37 Lakhs OTR B'lore)

Sorry Japanese dudes, no matter which way I look at it, the above options are way too premium and appealing in comparison to an Accord, just coz it has some Hybrid.

P.S - The Carwale price for OTR Mumbai(Central) for Accord Hybrid is showing up as 43,47,524 !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 25th October 2016 at 20:19.
Vik0728 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 20:52   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
P.S - The Carwale price for OTR Mumbai(Central) for Accord Hybrid is showing up as 43,47,524 !!
That is a mistake, RTO charges more for CBU. So according to my Linkway Honda sales rep it is going to cost 47 or 48 lacs on road mumbai central or even 49 with octroi.

This is just a showpiece, Honda is hell bent on killing its brand in India. They have slowly but steadily signed their own death warrant.

What do we expect now from them ? Civic / HRV or the hideous looking WRV ?

I being a loyal Honda Customer will now be looking at either the Skoda Superb Diesel or the Camry Hybrid which now suddenly seem better VFM.
M00M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 21:18   #65
BHPian

Honda, Honda, Honda, what on earth were you thinking pricing the accord at 37L !? (Ex-Showroom!!). I have a feeling that this is going to be another case of the "S-Cross 1.6". An absolutely fabulous car, murdered thanks to the price tag. Hoping that some sense prevails at some point and they decide to slash the prices like Maruti did. And even for the 1.6, it was too little, too late.
One:1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 21:31   #66
BHPian

I want to know the drug dealer of Honda Car India. What are they smoking?
Who in there right mind would spend 40 big ones on a Honda when I am getting a Superb Diesel and Camry Hybrid at 38 lakhs on-Road. By spending a little more one can buy a BMW 3 Series or an Audi A3.

Honda lives up to it's name, ruining their own interests consistently. When are these folks going to learn? Honda should start giving tuitions on how to kill a brand!

Even Volvos are CBUs but look at the way both S60 and V40 are priced!

If someone is so Environment conscious, they can opt for Prius and the luxury folks will prefer the Camry. We the auto heads are too hard to please so well in any case Accord is failing in every aspect to make sense in the Indian market.

Welcome the new Honda mannequin in India!

P.S: Honda wanted judge the customer response on the Accord, how are they planning to do that with this pricing?
YashD is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 22:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

What was Honda doing ? This car is Well Engineered, but priced horribly wrong. I don't see any price cuts even if it doesn't sell after the initial days. I guess Honda has priced this Accord to Make way for other cars in thier Portfolio. They are looking at bringing some of thier global models, but they will price them above competition. Here is my brief take on how Honda's could be Priced in Future

BRIO - 5 to 7 lakhs
AMAZE - 6 to 8 lakhs
JAZZ - 6 to 9 lakhs
WRV - 7 to 10 lakhs
CITY - 9 to 13 lakhs
BRV - 9 to 14 lakhs
CIVIC - 16 to 23 lakhs
HRV - 16 to 23 lakhs
CRV - 27 to 32 lakhs
ACCORD PETROL - 26 to 30 lakhs
ACCORD HYBRID - 37 to 40 lakhs

After this, They will say that they have Wide Range of Products from 5 to 40 lakh . So, now they fool some people who have little knowledge and make money out of them by selling a car at higher price then rivals. Poor Customers have to suffer from this.

Anyway
Just to conclude, Honda doesn't know how to Price the Cars, it will be the same even for our Next Generation.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 25th October 2016 at 22:08.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 22:48   #68
Senior - BHPian

With that pricing, they could have done the following too.

Change the logos and call it an Acura.
deetjohn is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 22:52   #69
BHPian

The top end Accord Hybrid in the US costs about $36,000 which translates to about Rs. 24L. While there are heavy import duties on CBU's, ex-showroom prices of Rs. 37L in Delhi, 40L in Bangalore and 42L in Mumbai cannot be anything else but ridiculous.

At the end of the day the brand here is Honda and not a premium European. Their latest cars no longer have the quality that Honda was once known for and neither can it command a premium.
vikramk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 23:15   #70
BHPian

I am really happy with my 2015 camry hybrid which has clocked 18000kms in last 14 months.The on road cost back then was 37lacs all inclusive(including discounts of 1.3lacs and 70,000 cash back from government subsidy.
I am sure there will be very few takers for the accord hybrid,given that the superb and camry hybrid makes a fantastic vfm proposition.
The accord hybrid is dead on arrival!
kedarwalke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 07:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

If this implies that they are trying to push the price bracket up of the Civic too, they're doomed.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 10:44   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda starts testing Accord Hybrid in India. EDIT: Launched at 37 lakhs

Hard to believe how Honda continuously goofs up. This was a company that, at one time, was the no.1 in each segment that it had presence in. Yes, the City, Civic, Accord & CR-V 10 years back were toppers in their respective categories.

The pricing is plain stupid. Why did Honda even bother launching the Accord? At a cost of 44 lakhs on the road in Mumbai, most people would choose the luxury Germans. And if you do want an eco-friendly Japanese, the very competent Camry is available at a significantly lower price.

Samurai & Anshuman have driven the Accord Hybrid. While their review is a little time away, I can tell you this - based on what they told me during the test-drive, the Camry is undoubtedly the superior car (without even getting price into the picture).

Toyota must be thanking Honda for making the Camry look like a VFM proposition .
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 11:14   #73
Senior - BHPian

My fear with these atrocious pricing strategies is that companies are making other already higher priced cars seem like VFM. Honda has left such a huge gap between the City and the Accord that the next gen Civic (which is fantastic, btw) if at all launched in India will undoubtedly have a ridiculous price tag too.

Sadly, there's no end to this.

Inflation is hurting and how!
Old 26th October 2016, 11:35   #74
Senior - BHPian

Honda starts testing Accord Hybrid in India. EDIT: Launched at 37 lakhs

Last time Honda made i20 look VFM with the pricing goof up of Jazz, it set the sales chart of i20 on fire.

Let's see how the market responds to Camry and Superb.

Even City is now struggling against Ciaz which seems to be VFM.

Mobilio pricing fiasco is also very recent but Honda still feels that they are a Premium brand in the eyes of our junta which is not the case anymore.

Now only Toyota is left to be taught a lesson wrt Innova but after so many years still there is No competition for the Innova which will make Toyota continue minting money. Exactly same was happening with City few years ago.

Last edited by carwatcher : 26th October 2016 at 11:37.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 12:03   #75
BHPian

This usually happens in FMCG industry, but now it has got into auto industry as well.

Once in a while, if sales teams miss the targets, they would get away with some minor excuses. But if company is consistently falling behind targets, sales teams come under intense pressure to deliver nos. Now, they can't be honest and say upfront that the products we have are not good enough vis-a-vis competetion, so they have to come up with genuine looking excuses and have to press hard on them to make it a selling story.

1. We want to go premium, that is where the future growth will come from
2. We have a latent customer demand for hybrids, and we can sell more at a premium if we have a product to unleash that potential customer base.
3. We dont have x,y or z model in our portfolio. Had we had it, we would have set the sales chart on fire (we missed the budget because we don't have this and that model)
4. And the marketing will chip in with one more flop idea: We are a more premium brand than x & Y (who in reality are segment toppers), if we sell our models in the same price range as them, we will lose our brand image. We are not just any other brand, we are HONDA!! (or toyota for that matter).
Nav-i-gator is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks