Team-BHP - Toyota inaugurates engine production plant in Karnataka for Innova Crysta and next-gen Fortuner
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Toyota inaugurates engine production plant in Karnataka for Innova Crysta and next-gen Fortuner (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/177567-toyota-inaugurates-engine-production-plant-karnataka-innova-crysta-next-gen-fortuner.html)

Toyota Industries Engine India inaugurated a new engine production plant at Jigani Industrial Area, Bengaluru on 23rd Jun 2016.

Plant Quick Facts:

Engine Quick Facts:

Source :http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...00-cr/52886248

Is this plant for exporting engines also? They produce about 6000~6500 Innovas and Fortuners per month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS (Post 4003078)
  • The 2.8-litre 1GD-FTV engine is 71% more powerful & 7% more fuel efficient, in comparison to the earlier used 2KD engine.

You certainly mean 1KD. The 1KD engine had the 3.0 liter displacement.

Toyota inaugurates engine production plant in Karnataka for Innova Crysta and next-gen Fortuner. Posts moved to a new thread.

Will this reduce the cost of the cost of vehicles ?

Must say that this is a big risky investment by Toyota with large capacity diesel engine ban already in place in 2 states of India. But I hope this leads to lower costs for people looking at the Crysta as their next car in the near future like myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2500cc (Post 4004612)

It should increase profits. Highly unlikely to pass it down.

Even if its a ban across India, I think they will still be able to export it to the other markets especially in SE Asia. So that way, the investment does seem worthwhile IMHO

Autocar Professional reports that Toyota Industries Engine India (TIEI) is mulling over manufacturing smaller-displacement diesel motors in India at it's newly inaugurated diesel engine plant at Jigani, Bengaluru.

More specifically, Toyota is looking at manufacturing it's 1.4L diesel heart, which powers the Corolla Altis sedan, the Etios sedan and the Etios Liva hatchback, and is currently imported from Japan.

Toyota inaugurates engine production plant in Karnataka for Innova Crysta and next-gen Fortuner-toyotaengineindustries.jpg

TR Parasuraman, deputy managing director, TIEI:

Quote:

The 1.4-litre diesel engine is imported from Japan but yes it would be better to make it here but setting up an operation for it would be very capital intensive. Hence, market stability is very important. A lot of uncertainty has prevailed recently, so our parent company will formally study the current situation and probably discuss closely with customers if there is the necessity and then take a call."
Since the Indian market leans more towards small cars, Toyota will not only benefit from captive usage but also be able to supply it's diesels to other domestic car manufacturers as well.

At present, the Rs 1,100-crore Jigani plant, with a production capacity of 1,08,000 engines per annum, has started production of Toyota's two Global Diesel (GD) engines - the 1GD-FTV-L4-DOHC 2.8L and the 2GD-FTV L4-DOHC 2.4L - both of which power the newly launched Innova Crysta MUV.

Currently, it produces about 8,000 engines per month for the Innova Crysta. The 2.8L GD will also be used to power the soon-to-be-launched next-gen Fortuner SUV. As such, a possible expansion of the plant will involve lesser production capacity which in turn would require lesser investment from Toyota.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2500cc (Post 4004612)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurker (Post 4004623)
It should increase profits. Highly unlikely to pass it down.

:) Agree with Lurker. They will pass on any cost saving to the shareholder rather than the consumer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4025111)
More specifically, Toyota is looking at manufacturing it's 1.4L diesel heart, which powers the Corolla Altis sedan, the Etios sedan and the Etios Liva hatchback, and is currently imported from Japan.

I am surprised that they don't manufacture the 1.4 here given that it is the bread and butter engine of Toyota in India spanning across the Etios hatch to the severely under-powered Corolla deisel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 4027453)
:) Agree with Lurker. They will pass on any cost saving to the shareholder rather than the consumer.

I am surprised that they don't manufacture the 1.4 here given that it is the bread and butter engine of Toyota in India spanning across the Etios hatch to the severely under-powered Corolla deisel.

Innova outsells Etios twins and Corolla put together. No wonder this is not so lucrative for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARKled (Post 4004618)
Must say that this is a big risky investment by Toyota with large capacity diesel engine ban already in place in 2 states of India. But I hope this leads to lower costs for people looking at the Crysta as their next car in the near future like myself.

I'd say it's a smart move for Toyota and for India as well - giving employment to local man-power while orienting them to state of the art

manufacturing practices. With the relatively smaller number of Innovas & Fortuners being produced/sold here, the plant is clearly intended largely for

export. Developing countries with technically sound - and much less expensive! - man-power pools have usually been utilised (e.g. BMW

manufacturing in South Africa right through the height of the Apartheid years, for export purposes). The manufacturing costs are a fraction of those

in developed, advanced countries. If one wanted to be uncharitable one could say that this is a distant cousin of the horrific sweat shop factories of

Bangladesh.

Just, not quite so horrific and not quite so exploitative!