Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2006, 20:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self
ina crowded marketplace in the evenings, is where the maximum usefulness of this device is felt, where even ones normal horn is rather useless, since it blasts in the front...and you want to reverse!!
I have been using horn while reversing for two and half year.
Trust me horn works. And if the horn doesn't work then reverse horn won't work either. (due to ignorance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Reversing Horns are the single most irritating things on a car EVER.
That honour goes to personalised number-plates.
Old 3rd October 2006, 20:40   #17
BHPian

Agreed the reverse horn is more of a nuisance esp at night time, but at times it comes in real use. Best option is to put in a toggle switch to turn off the horn when not actually needed
Old 3rd October 2006, 20:54   #18
BHPian

Absolutely irritating - these reverse horns.

BTW, have you folks noticed that some two wheelers have some kind of horrible music/siren when they apply brake? Thoroughly useless another piece of device.
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:01   #19
BHPian

I just don't like it. It is so irritating and my neighbour has fixed one! Every time he turns or reverses his car in the road to park by his house, it starts off loud noisee..

Unbearable :(

Probably a beep beep should do good! Some BMTC buses in Bangalore has that feature!

Last edited by dsinz : 3rd October 2006 at 21:03.
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

reverse horns, horns, side indicators etc are useless stuff...atleast in the city. no one bothers these things these days..they keep doing their thing unless it hinders it!!
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

With so much ambient noise anyway, reverse horns aren't very useful in street. They create havoc in quiet areas and should be completely banned
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Its no joke,a driving school instructor nearby thinks the purpose of the reverse horn is to make the driver aware that the car has been engaged into reverse gear properly and not into some other gear and advises to release the brake lever only after you hear the reverse horn,so that makes the reverse horn an essential component of cars driven by pass-outs from his driving school.
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu
noticed that some two wheelers have some kind of horrible music/siren when they apply brake?
That is THE MOST irritating 2 wheeler accessory ..man..specially those hindi tunes/music..!..
-sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78
a standard beeping-tone reversing horn works better than a fancy one with vocals & techno sounds.
couldn't agree more..
I feel you do need these reverse horns in a country like India..just my opinion about these devices..

-sr

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd October 2006 at 22:48.
Old 3rd October 2006, 22:00   #24
BHPian

a nice free flow works wonders when reversing, yet can be quiet enough.
Old 3rd October 2006, 22:17   #25
BHPian

Well it is useful in some ways and irritating in others... Totally agree with nuisance it creates in the residential colonies... but on the other hand is a real boon while reversing in busy markets..
Many people have said that one can always use the normal horn to warn off ppl, but IMO, any normal horn wouldnt make them realise that a car is reversing... Rather 90% chances are that they will have a look behind (obviously in crowded places one cannot easily sense the direction of the sound), and seeing no car, will stay there....
Reversing horns on the other hand immediately warn them off that a car is reversing and they will look for a car that is BACKING and not coming head on...
So personally i feel that drivers should use it responsibly... They should know when to switch it off and when to switch it on...
Old 3rd October 2006, 22:26   #26
BHPian

Continuous reversing horn concept is fundamentally flawed. The same could be extended for forward gears - that will protect the car even better! Basically, the reversing horn device covers up for not checking the rear/sideview mirror properly while reversing. The same safety rules that apply for forward move out of parking apply for reversing too - use of rearviews, sideviews, craning the neck with judicious use of steering horn if needed. Rev horn is an just excuse for driver's laziness, belies a lack of concern for the environment. They should be banned by the law.

Last edited by Poseidon : 3rd October 2006 at 22:30.
Old 4th October 2006, 00:04   #27
BHPian

Good that some one brings this topic. The reverse horn should be banned officially all over India. If not fully at least the fancy horns like some Hindi/Tamil songs.

It just brings the H..ll out of me always. The purpose of horn in car itself to notify people about a moving car .why people are not thinking about using that.

I remember one stupid guy in Chennai had our national anthem as the tune for Reverse horn. Just imagine how nervous for the people around him when he backs up.
He doesn't know the importance of a national anthem and that kills the Respect for the same.
Old 4th October 2006, 00:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

if someone wants a reverse horn ,it is his choice. but for everything, there is a certain etiquette to be followed. in a busy market, sometimes you need to use such loud irritating noises to get your way, but in a quiet environment like an apartment block or a church or school etc, it should never be used.

this could be compared with the cell phone . we see people having loud fancy irritating ringtones & chatting away to glory ignorant of the fact that no one around him is interested in what his M-I-L had to say about his new ****. lol
Old 4th October 2006, 05:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
That is THE MOST irritating 2 wheeler accessory ..man..specially those hindi tunes/music..!..
-sr
especially listening to "sare jahan se achchha" restarting 10 times in 1 minute.

unfortunately we just don't care about noise pollution. having everybdy hear our favourite "jai mata di" song is our one of those must do's in times of dussehra. what is a little horn.
Old 4th October 2006, 06:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alen
Agreed the reverse horn is more of a nuisance esp at night time, but at times it comes in real use. Best option is to put in a toggle switch to turn off the horn when not actually needed
This is a good idea Alen, people should use a toggle switch preferably without even connecting it to the reversing system. We could also bi-wire the siren in the security system to double as a reverse horn when in need.

Let alone others, I feel I irritated myself with my reverse-horn if I had one and would have found it impossible to concentrate in situations where I have to park/get my car into/outof a tight parking spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Reversing Horns are the single most irritating things on a car EVER.
Wait, there is one more. My neighbour has an impact-alert on his car's Security system. It goes on when his own dog rubs against it or when there is lightning or when a heavy vehicle goes past. To add to all this, he also has a reverse horn + his parking space at home is cramped + he can't reverse too well .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks