Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2006, 06:38   #31
BHPian

Of course, yes, reverse horns are irritating. But when used with care, it is a really useful device. The reversing horns can be optionally silenced, while remote unlocking the car. I normally do this while reversing in the night times, so as not to disturb my neigbours. At the same time I have found the reverse horns useful in the day time, every where.
Old 4th October 2006, 09:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wait, there is one more. My neighbour has an impact-alert on his car's Security system.
The worst. Even if someone leans on the car, the security system makes some noise. Children are very attracted to it.

A decent reverse tone that is not tooo loud and not irritating is good enough. And IMO its better if there is a switch to turn the sound OFF, to avoid using them in certain situations.

Last edited by Gordon : 4th October 2006 at 09:23.
Old 4th October 2006, 10:09   #33
BHPian

I always wonder especially the large veicles like trucks use the regular horns while reversing. All the horns are installed in the front and it looks odd to honk from the front while reversing. There could be a regular horn mounted somewhere in the rear of the vehicle and have a switch to switch this on while reversing. Perhaps this could be a not so loud horn and can be used only when required instead of the regular continuous reverse tunes..
Old 4th October 2006, 10:45   #34
BHPian

If you really want it, tryto put a switch so that you turn it off in some situations like hospitals, school, court etc...

cheers
aNu
Old 4th October 2006, 11:44   #35
BHPian

In crowded cities like mumbai reverse horn is necessary. however they really are irritating when they go on at night. Also i think vandemataram/janagana mana...and all other national tunes should be banned as a reverse horn
Old 4th October 2006, 13:15   #36
BHPian

Hi all, lemme tell all that all my cars have reverse horns??? Not to put it in a better way Beeper. It is to make sure that a moron bumping intio the cars, can be silenced by arguing, "dikhaye nahi deta theek hai sunai bhi nahi deta kya????"

Those guys have one less excuse to finf the fault with the driver.
Old 4th October 2006, 14:23   #37
BHPian

Hi,

I am using the reverse horn for my car.It is very useful while reversing the car in a city like Pune.People will definitely not pay any attention if i blow horn instead of reverse horn.Yes,I agree that in the night time it disturbs others and so there should be a toggle switch for that.
Old 4th October 2006, 14:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thil
I remember one stupid guy in Chennai had our national anthem as the tune for Reverse horn. Just imagine how nervous for the people around him when he backs up.
This reminds me of a discussion forum when i was working in Chennai. There were discussion on whether patriotic songs are good choice for car reverse horns. and people were arguing on that. I still remember one guy commenting that such songs should be played when car goes forward. not in reverse . In housing colonies i can imagine how bad it is on beautiful sunday to wake up to a reverse horn. There is no way we can change public. But now there is a solution. When i was in UK i was quite impressed by the decibel level in the houses. I imagined if we could get such type of double glazed windows and doors here too. And when i saw an ad in the Hindu i immediately rung up and i was quite happy that they will install during house construction. they are known as Fenesta windows. I have already made decision to install those for my new flat instead of the default windows and doors. Cost around 450Rs/sq feet. Has any one experience on these? They seem to be doing well in installing these in new hotels etc. I know this was slightly OT. Please provide inputs if any has experience on this.
Old 4th October 2006, 18:05   #39
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alen
Agreed the reverse horn is more of a nuisance esp at night time, but at times it comes in real use. Best option is to put in a toggle switch to turn off the horn when not actually needed
... have done that and find it very useful while reversing the car when there are people behind. As if you press the horn, people behind wont know that you are honking at them, in such a case one can switch on the reverse horn to let people behind the car know.
Old 4th October 2006, 20:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr
I always wonder especially the large veicles like trucks use the regular horns while reversing. All the horns are installed in the front and it looks odd to honk from the front while reversing. There could be a regular horn mounted somewhere in the rear of the vehicle and have a switch to switch this on while reversing. Perhaps this could be a not so loud horn and can be used only when required instead of the regular continuous reverse tunes..
All game for this suggestion good one. I would say make sure its a toggle switch which can be switched off in the nights. Was a nuisance on my car earlier and my dad would usually end up catching me sneaking out of my house in the nights.So got a toggle switch installed now.
Old 4th October 2006, 22:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

A question to all people who say there should be a toggle switch so that people can switch it off in the night.

Now a days everyone has mobile phones, during play/movies people are suppose to set their phone on silent mode. How many people actually do it?
So what makes you think that people will switch off their reverse horn during night time?
Old 4th October 2006, 22:39   #42
BHPian

I am personally very keen on a Reverse Horn, and my all time favourite from past many years has been the Titanic one! for all my cars. Its a different thing that it is a nuisance in a closed colony, but on the roads, it is a very important thing. My Tucson's reverse horn went kaput a few days back while taking a big plunge in lil water pool, and since then i am having a real bad time making ppl move from behind me when i am reversing. If i honk, then the ppl in front get irritated.

What is best is to have a lil switch installed to the Reverse Alarm, so that when u dont want it to sound, u can cut off its powersupply from the switch. Coz the only times u would actually use this switch to off it would be when u leave for work in the morning, and come back home in the evening.

Personally, i have had this problem many a times. In my Apartment, if i am coming in late at night, then i tend to let the car roll back on itself to straighten it out to park it properly, instead of using the reverse gear and taking the car back in a jiffy, due to the loud noise that would make, and its actually quiet shrill.

Have ordered for a new piece, and when it comes in, i will get this switch installed.
Kudos to team-bhp, as i got this idea just now writing out this stuff here!
Team-bhp not just makes one intelligent by reading thru the info here, also makes one intelligent by just being here! hahaha!
Old 4th October 2006, 23:26   #43
BHPian

Reverse horns are very useful especially if you are blinded while backing up your vehicle. This(being blinded) often happens when say a truck or a large enough vehicle is parked very close to my driveway. Such a horn is very useful to warn pedestrians or other drivers who obviously can't see the vehicle backing up. I couldn't do without one in Bangalore.

Of course, reverse horns are a nuisance if they are too loud or if they are used at the wrong time/place. A simple pattern of beeps should do for the horn - after all it's only meant to warn people, not to let the world know what your favourite film song is. Okay, you want a fancy horn? Atleast keep the decibels low.

Btw we initially had an "Attention please! This car is backing up" reverse horn on our Premier Padmini back in 1989. It got more people staring at the car than moving out of the way. My dad got this replaced with a simpler one within a few days. On my suggestion he installed a cut off switch. We felt guilty waking up the neighbours whenever we took out the car early in the morning. As far as wrong places are concerned - when a loved one is in hospital and desperately needs sleep you'll hate anyone using a horn nearby - reverse horn or not. We've had one such cut off switch on every car we've owned thereafter.
Old 5th October 2006, 10:18   #44
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
A question to all people who say there should be a toggle switch so that people can switch it off in the night.

Now a days everyone has mobile phones, during play/movies people are suppose to set their phone on silent mode. How many people actually do it?
So what makes you think that people will switch off their reverse horn during night time?
What makes you think otherwise ???
I have a toggle switch installed just because i get irritated by the sound of the reverse horn, but while there are people behind the car, the sound becomes necessary. i switch it on only when i have to make people behind the car know that i'm backing out, rest of the time ( Day/Night ) its off....
Old 5th October 2006, 12:08   #45
BHPian

Unless one drives a garbage truck with very poor rear visibility, I find it difficult to understand why anyone would need this reverse beeper/horn. If people are behind the car, sounding the real horn would make those move, correct?

With white reverse lights universally available in modern cars, I think it is easy to see that the car is backing up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks