Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2016, 16:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI spotted in India

A 5-door Volkswagen Polo with test number plates has been spotted on Indian roads. While it was earlier rumoured to be a 1.4 TSI variant, it is now believed to the 1.0 TSI variant of the hatchback. The car was imported into India in November 2015 (click here to read report).

The Polo 1.0 TSI is powered by a 1.0-litre petrol engine that churns out 94 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 160 Nm of torque @ 1,500 rpm that comes mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. It comes with Volkswagen's BlueMotion technology - which the company claims, increases the vehicle's fuel efficiency.

It is rumoured that the 1.0 TSI might replace the 1.2-litre petrol in India.

Thanks to Parth Somayya for sharing these pics!

Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI spotted in India-img_1389.png

Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI spotted in India-img_1391.jpeg

Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI spotted in India-img_1392.jpeg

Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI spotted in India-img_1393.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2016 at 08:29. Reason: Replacing images with those of original source
dZired is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 17:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI spotted in India

Interesting....However, AFAIK, Bluemotion is for diesels.

also, this car is a manual so if VW arre launching the 1.4 TSI with a manual transmission, then we can expect very competitive pricing. I wish there was a 1.4 TSI a couple of months back- would have bought this instead of my vento TSI :P
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 17:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Interesting....However, AFAIK, Bluemotion is for diesels.

also, this car is a manual so if VW arre launching the 1.4 TSI with a manual transmission, then we can expect very competitive pricing. I wish there was a 1.4 TSI a couple of months back- would have bought this instead of my vento TSI :P
BlueMotion Technology
Volkswagen offers BlueMotion Technology packages over the whole range and it can be configured with TSI and TDI engines. The package includes start-stop system, change gear indicator and regenerative braking technology.[7] The 2015 Golf GTI (mark VII) is available in BlueMotion version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueMotion
keroo1099 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 17:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The source article says that it could be a 1.4 TSI or a 1.0 TSI (May have been updated). I think it is the 1.0 TSI which was imported in November 2015 for testing purposes.

Quote:
This is the lesser powerful 1.4 TSI version which will come in a five-door body style as compared to 3-door for the 1.8 TSI model. Or it could also be the 95 bhp 1.0 TSI version that was imported into India in Nov 2015.
(Related thread)

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 1st July 2016 at 18:08.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 18:47   #5
BHPian

I put my bet on it being a 1.0 TSI. It could be in different tunes 60 PS or 75 PS or 95 PS.
The 1.4 TSI has always been an engine spec of the GT variant of Polo outside India. So even though I would love to have the 1.4 Tsi, its a rather less probability to come to India with a Bluemotion badge.
Well it could even be the Diesel bluemotion, but VW Polo has already a good diesel engine here in India so I doubt that theory wont be true either - unless they are testing the 1.4 TDi.

As mentioned by many here, its not a local production. Its an import from most probably UK as you can see from the headlights and tail lights.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 19:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post

A 5-door Volkswagen Polo with test number plates has been spotted on Indian roads. This car is rumoured to be a new 1.4 TSI variant of the hatchback.
Thank you dZired for sharing this scoop. I really would like to believe that this eventually materialises in India

Personally though, I feel VW are going to end up having more product portfolio than actual number of customers. Here's what I mean:

First they launch a premium hatchback called Polo that is priced ridiculously high in comparison to 'The Then' competition. Then to justify the 'Premiumness' they launch another more premium Polo (GT).
They go one more step and float the launch of another Very Very Premium Polo (GTI), which seems to be way too premium even by their standards.

So now they are planning to launch Another "NOT" very very premium Polo to bridge the gap between a Premium Polo and a Very Very Premium Polo??

@ VW India - If a 1.4 TSi Polo can do a 0-100 Km/hr in 8s with a manual gearbox, just dump the GTI 1.8 TSi and plonk this 1.4 TSi into the 'GTI for India Only'.

Save us humans the trouble of playing 'POLO' with names !!
Vik0728 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 19:46   #7
BHPian

Isn't the stock 1.4 Tsi engine already available in India in the Jetta, though in a different state of tune? I assume its the same EA211 engine that just needs a power boost if they decide to fit it in the Polo along with the other necessary improvements to suspension, and braking.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 21:18   #8
BHPian

This is definitely a 1.0 TSI. The 5 speed manual and the tail lamps are the giveaways.
The 1.4 TSI Blue Motion GT comes with a 6 speed manual, a GT badge and differently styled tail lamps.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 21:27   #9
BHPian

Personally, I would love to see VW launch the 1.4 Tsi GT with a manual gearbox and price it very competitively to take out the Abarth. With sorted out ergonomics (deal breaker in the Punto), German solidity and no DSG to cause nightmares that would be the one most enthusiasts would pick.

On the other hand, if I was a product planning consultant for VW I would suggest they launch the 1.0 Tsi with a DSG to completely take out the competition automatics. When people either spend on AMTs from Maruti (no offense!) this should be a no-brainer for many.
Kingston is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 00:28   #10
BHPian

This seems to be a 1.0 TSi, Volkswagen India could be testing it for the Polo and Ameo as the current 1.2 MPi engine is simply not good enough. As it has bluemotion technology, it gets quite evident that this model is mileage oriented product. Why would they equip 1.4L TSi with Bluemotion technology? They already have quite a capable 1.5L Diesel engine in the Indian market and has also been widely localized.

Though I wish it's a 1.4 TSi, producing around 120-130 horses just like the Jetta! What more would one desire for? The Polo now with the constant updates has become an excellent package with all the creature comfort features, excellent ride and handling, great engine options (Except the 1.2 MPi). In reality, instead of a 1.8L GTi, a 1.4 TSi makes much more sense atleast to me! Moreover they already have this engine in the Jetta which would help VW to price it competitively.

Can anyone please explain what kind of headlamps are that? The bulbs are looking quite different! They don't seem like normal halogens to me.
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 02:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Can anyone please explain what kind of headlamps are that? The bulbs are looking quite different! They don't seem like normal halogens to me.
Those are the LED headlamps last seen on the (still under testing and under wraps) update to the Vento.

Interesting that they come with washers. I remember that Mercedes did away with washers and fog lamps when they switched to full LED headlights claiming that they didn't need them.

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2016 at 13:08. Reason: Typos
VeluM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 08:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

1.4 TSi + MT -
1.0 TSi + MT -

I am really confused! Why can't VW bring the 1.2 TSi from the GT coupled with a MT if its not the motor from Jetta here?

I much prefer that punchy free revving and smoother 4 cylinder TSi compared to a 3 pot. And its not like its not eligible for the excise benefits either.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 13:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
@ VW India - If a 1.4 TSi Polo can do a 0-100 Km/hr in 8s with a manual gearbox, just dump the GTI 1.8 TSi and plonk this 1.4 TSi into the 'GTI for India Only'.
Exactly, this is something I mentioned in a previous post. 1.4 TSI with an MT or optional DSG would make more sense for India rather than a 1.8 TSI. But there were rumours about 1.0 TSI replacing 1.2 TSI, until VW confirms their new offerings all we can do is guess :(.

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2016 at 13:09. Reason: Typos
GT145 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th July 2016, 12:23   #14
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI spotted in India

Think I saw these cars on the Mumbai - Pune expressway a couple of weeks back. There were 2 Superbs with test plates followed by 2 white Polos with test plates. One was a 3 door and hence definitely the GTI 1.8 TSI and the other had Polo written on the boot left side where it is normally written and the other badge i couldn't figure out. Now when I see these picture I do believe it was the Bluemotion badge.

I'm confused what is VW up to with the Polo and why does it take so long for any of the engines to come to market especially the 1.8 and 1.4. They have the car and the engine being produced locally so its beyond me! Plus this model is nearing the end of its lifecycle hence I'm not so certain it's a great idea to launch it now. That being said it still looks smashing!

Perhaps the 1.0 TSI is being tested for the next generation car? Cannot imagine one car with 4 petrol engine options (5 if you include the 1.2 MPI)! Does not make sense!
Old 11th September 2016, 23:10   #15
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI spotted in India

When I first saw this thread, the thought that came to my mind was - "yet another downsized engine".

Today, I realized that this engine generates anywhere from 90ps/160Nm (in Up) to 115ps/200Nm (in Golf/Octavia). And, it propels the Golf to 100 kmph in less than 10s (9.7) and a top of speed of 200+. Source: http://www.auto-data.net/en/?f=showCar&car_id=23263

New found respect for the little guy!

Most Viewed