Team-BHP - Lexus LX 450d brought in for homologation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Lexus LX 450d brought in for homologation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/177781-lexus-lx-450d-brought-homologation.html)

Mod Note: Our Lexus Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Following the ES300h (), Toyota has now also brought in LX SUV for homologation. A single unit of LX 450d has been imported.

Lexus LX 450d brought in for homologation-capture.jpg

LX 450d is powered by a 4.5L V8 diesel engine which is capable of 272 BHP @ 1600-2800 RPM and maximum torque of 650 Nm, delivered via 6-speed automatic transmission.

Lexus LX 450d brought in for homologation-151015lexuslx450drussia.jpg

Source: Zauba

One question: What are they smoking?

At a time when the entire auto industry is switching to below 2000cc diesel engines and launching petrol version to combat the ban, Toyota decides to get in Lexus finally but with a massive diesel power plant !?!

Quote:

A single unit of LX 450d has been imported.
Given the relatively high number of sales of LC 200 in recent past, it was expected . Many guys were simply not ready to believe Lexus offering something in Diesel but Toyota does their homework very well , just that they take too much time. Now given the assessable value of this and comparing with LC200 , this is surely going to get over 2 Crore :Frustrati

Little Off Topic but relevant ,they have got one unit of LC 200 with some different loadings probably for homologation, which has higher assessable value - any idea what can these additional features be ?

Quote:

I think they are getting more Indian , they realise we normally preach or speak differently than what we actually do and the guys who can pay them this sort of money want super large engines & they will find ways and means to get these registered somewhere . In LC range most of their sales are coming from 8 cylinder models which is one of main attraction for any buyer. You may be surprised that Toyota dealership won't sell you an Innova or Fortuner in NCR but will happily book an order for a Diesel LC which you can simply get it registered at any of nearby places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4008835)

At a time when the entire auto industry is switching to below 2000cc diesel engines and launching petrol version to combat the ban, Toyota decides to get in Lexus finally but with a massive diesel power plant !?!

Is it possible that the recent rumor that the Supreme Court will introduces a Green Cess Tax close to implementation? Those buying this 1.5cr + vehicle wont have a problem paying that cess.

Losing out on Delhi and Kerala markets would be quite a stupid move. Considering that these two places would actually buy a few of these vehicles compared to other cities/states.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4008835)

Nothing. Its a brilliant move. People who have 1 crore+ to buy a car, are not deterred by trivial things like address proof and all. There was a village in Punjab which had quite a few ferrari's registered because the tax was 2%.What is the cost to actually buy a house in that village? 1 lakh. So nothing illegal.

You buy a house in Punjab for 1lakh, and register your 2 crore vehicle, save 20L in taxes, 1 lakh is like a security deposit. You can sell the house any time for that amount.
So a guy sitting in Delhi with 2 crore budget will simply get it registered in Rajasthan, Punjab, Haryana, UP.... and drive it.

Quote:

People who have 1 crore+ to buy a car, are not deterred by trivial things like address proof and all.
Of course and most of these guys will already have some past connections somewhere or will have factories/ offices.

:OT
Quote:

You buy a house in Punjab for 1lakh, and register your 2 crore vehicle, save 20L in taxes, 1 lakh is like a security deposit.
never heard of such thing, I am not sure if this is even possible as there cannot be different rules within one state. I remember we used to pay less than Rs 2000 for registration in Chandigarh until the end of 2009 though. At that time value of car had nothing to do with registration charges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 4008856)
Nothing. Its a brilliant move. People who have 1 crore+ to buy a car, are not deterred by trivial things like address proof and all. There was a village in Punjab which had quite a few ferrari's registered because the tax was 2%.What is the cost to actually buy a house in that village? 1 lakh. So nothing illegal.

Agreed, nothing illegal. But there are yet several buyers who prefer a DL registered car and that number in % is relatively high when you consider that sales of this car will be barely double digits.

Secondly, Toyota has not been able to get much success with the LC regular version because of the high sticker price. The lexus will only cost more. They are better of getting other Lexus models in that have great hybrid technology to combat any bans and keep the car future proof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4008864)
, I am not sure if this is even possible as there cannot be different rules within one state. I remember we used to pay less than Rs 2000 for registration in Chandigarh until the end of 2009 though. At that time value of car had nothing to do with registration charges.

I am talking about pre 2010 when Punjab had a road tax of 2% and Haryana 1.2% and for Chd it was 6000rs flat for luxury cars.
Of course, now PB is 10%+, and ditto for Haryana. I heard even Chd has moved to a % based model now.

Quote:

Toyota has not been able to get much success with the LC regular version because of the high sticker price. The Lexus will only cost more.
Off late, they are selling these in double digit numbers every month. Many orders are government funded as well . Punjab ordered around 30 of these in January :) If you see the new LC, it's virtually barebone. No Maps nor Rear entertainment and they have quietly removed Air Suspension since 2014 , you can no longer adjust height .

I am sure Lexus will be launched fully loaded and they will still be doing some numbers many guys can put 2 Crore for a vehicle which can run for decades without any troubles . Now, Toyota dealership can afford zero or whatever sales LC range gets as they hardly invest in anything , most won't have even a test Drive car but if it's an exclusive showroom they will have large overheads and it will be interesting to see which models they fit in for regular sales. Perhaps that explains the reasons for having only limited Lexus dealerships at the start.

What will be the price?
The current LC200 is more expensive than most German SUVs. If Toyota are going to price this significantly above the LC200, nobody will buy it. If they price it close to the LC200, they might as well discontinue the LC200.

Does this move signify that Supreme court is going to revoke the ban on diesels with displacements >2000cc ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 4009133)
What will be the price?

My first thought when I read the thread title. The Landcruiser costs a whopping, tear-inducing 1.6 crores in Mumbai. It's one heck of an overpriced SUV. Where is the Lexus LX450d going to fit in? Is it going to compete with Rolls Royces :Frustrati?

I understand reliability & durability, but come on! 1.7 crores can get me two German luxury SUVs. Not to mention, the current Landcruiser is so outdated.

Quote:

Does this move signify that Supreme court is going to revoke the ban on diesels with displacements >2000cc ?
Full News Article

Quote:

The Supreme Court has officially announced that it might lift the currently enforced ban on sales of diesel powered cars having an engine bigger than 2,000 cc in Delhi and NCR. But in order to do so, the court's judicial bench has suggested a one-time green cess to be levied from the buyers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4009010)
. Many orders are government funded as well . Punjab ordered around 30 of these in January :)

Why has the Punjab govt bought such expensive machines from tax payers money? :deadhorse

I am surprised that Toyota is even considering homologating the twin turbo 4.5 diesel V8 from the LC 200 into the Lexus. While the engine does have a lot of grunt it can hardly be termed as refined with the very prominent V8 rasp audible during acceleration all the way from start until cruising speed is achieved. While most users of the LC actually wont mind the V8 Growl not sure thats something a Lexus owner will appreciate:uncontrol

If this does happen it will be a world first Lexus with the Toy 4.5 V8 diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4009285)
I understand reliability & durability, but come on! 1.7 crores can get me two German luxury SUVs. Not to mention, the current Landcruiser is so outdated]

Sorry GTO but I must disagree with you. In its present state, the 2016 LC 200 is the most advanced purpose built SUV ever. The list of offroading gizmos and driver assistance is top notch. Yes in terms of refinement and on road drive it will lag behind say a Range Rover or Mercedes GL or a Porsche Cayenne or even a BMW X6 on account of its body on chassis design. But then these dont even come close to the pure play performance, capability, reliability, strength and durability the Land Cruiser offers Off Road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satan (Post 4009393)

Sorry GTO but I must disagree with you. In its present state, the 2016 LC 200 is the most advanced purpose built SUV ever.

Nobody is doubting the capabilities of the LC. But how many people will really drive these cars in the off road terrains in India?

2 things are against it:
1. Age. It's too old now. A new generation is overdue.
2. Brand value. This is slightly subjective. But nobody will disagree that BMWs and Audis are the premium brands.

The pricing in India is ridiculous. You could buy 2 German SUVs. One for backup as they are 'extremely reliable' :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4009285)
My first thought when I read the thread title. The Landcruiser costs a whopping, tear-inducing 1.6 crores in Mumbai. It's one heck of an overpriced SUV. Where is the Lexus LX450d going to fit in? Is it going to compete with Rolls Royces :Frustrati?

I understand reliability & durability, but come on! 1.7 crores can get me two German luxury SUVs. Not to mention, the current Landcruiser is so outdated.

It justifies the cost to me, and it can sell more than the GL's and Q7's if they start assembling it here.

The German's (three mercs) feel so cheap that I feel irritated because of their constant ugly rattling. Every time I take them in a for a service I have to get every possible panel tightened, which start rattling again in a few weeks of tightening. Then I have to listen that ugly rattle for another year till I take them in for service. The suspension is also noisy and I've got their shockers changed under warranty (1or 2 shockers in each of the three cars). Sometimes when I have to go somewhere, or if I'm already somewhere (like a hotel), they like to embarrass me by not starting and showing "vehicle inoperative" in the instrument cluster. Then I have to get out of the car, lock and unlock a few times, play some games with it and it eventually starts. There was one time when I started taking my driver with me so that he can keep the car on, because I was always worried if it will start or not. I can go on typing with the problems, but it'll be endless.

The Land Cruiser on the other hand doesn't make a sound (except the diesel clatter but its only on the outside) and I own a Prado as well, which is almost 10 years old now and sometimes I feel so happy driving it because I cannot tell if it's even moving, it's that silent. No rattling from anywhere even after so many years. I've never faced any issue with it and it comes to rescue every time. I know that the LCs won't breakdown, and they give me complete peace of mind. So I'm more than happy to pay 1.5 for a 'Toyota' even if I can buy two Q7's in that. Let's not even talk about Range Rovers now😊.