Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2017, 15:16   #211
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
The warranty booklet given by TATA mentions engine and gearbox as covered but there is no specific mention of the AMT module. But since it's part of the gearbox it should also be covered under warranty either factory or extended. The usual wear and tear items such as clutch are not part of warranty but unique to TATA they are a part of gold AMC package. As long as the AMC is valid the clutch will be replaced free of cost including labour.
I think except the clutch plate other things are covered under warranty.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 18:53   #212
Senior - BHPian

Update on Tiago AMT (Update)- The Sales Rep got the car once more. He says that there was an issue in the Fuel Intake which caused the issue reported earlier. As there as not sufficient fuel supply happening, that resulted in the behavior observed. He confirmed that there was no issue with either the AMT Gearbox or any of the sensors.

Post the First Service he had got the same car again for Test Drive. I did a good test drive for about 5 kms within city. I did the complete drive in City Mode itself without shifting to Sports mode even once.

I had Reset the Avg Mileage Indicator on the MID when I started the drive. I drove sedately and mainly in 2nd and 3rd gear. At the end of my 5 km drive the MID read out was only 10.8 kmpl. The maximum it reached was about 12.6 kmpl and when I stopped it was at 10.8 kmpl. I must add that this was with AC on throughout the drive.

While this is not by any means an ideal test, I still thought a MID reading of 13-14 kmpl would have given me more comfort to the type of driving I did.

I think more data points about the mileage of the Tiago AMT from other owners would be very valuable.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 27th April 2017 at 19:10.
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 19:28   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I had Reset the Avg Mileage Indicator on the MID when I started the drive. I drove sedately and mainly in 2nd and 3rd gear. At the end of my 5 km drive the MID read out was only 10.8 kmpl. The maximum it reached was about 12.6 kmpl and when I stopped it was at 10.8 kmpl. I must add that this was with AC on throughout the drive.

While this is not by any means an ideal test, I still thought a MID reading of 13-14 kmpl would have given me more comfort to the type of driving I did.

I think more data points about the mileage of the Tiago AMT from other owners would be very valuable.
The value shown on MID is 2-2.5 kmpl higher then actual for Petrol while it's 3 kmpl for Diesel. You should be aware of this fact.

Secondly, the FE improves once you gain some distance, for first 10 kms, my MID shows around 13 kmpl and post that the figure improves to 17 kmpl. This is for Diesel Tiago.

Also, if you have driven in heavy traffic conditions, the figures of 11-12 kmpl for a Petrol car is a given thing, be it an Automatic or a Manual.

If you commute on Outer Ring Road at moderate speeds of around 50 kmph, you should get 14-15 kmpl. Test drive it again on ORR, (Bellandur to Mahadevpura or Silk Board to BSK) and check the FE again.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 21:33   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

Post the First Service he had got the same car again for Test Drive. I did a good test drive for about 5 kms within city. I did the complete drive in City Mode itself without shifting to Sports mode even once.

For driving in city the 10.8kmpl MID is what most AMTs will give, assuming you wouldn't have gone past 50 kph and also encountered frequent braking. I suggest you drive the competition too in the same traffic pattern to know where Tiago stands with respect to mileage. Tiago in its manual version too only gives better mileage in the top two gears and also keeping an eye on the instant fuel economy meter helps modulating throttle for better efficiency.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 13:41   #215
BHPian

Reached 900km and returnes above 14 most of the time in city driving and the max I got was 19.5 for highway with full time AC.

As advised in maruti AMT thread, one needs to change the driving style for an AMT. You cannot press the accelerator just like DCT or TC gearbox and expect a smooth upshift. As the name states it's a manual transmission and deserve to be driven like that. The gear shift happens around 2300rpm and if we ease out the accelerator for a moment after the gear change just like how you drive a manual, the car becomes very smooth and the lag is almost non existent. I haven't got the clutch burnt smell once I started following this and pretty satisfied with the performance.
LionX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 14:29   #216
BHPian

I have driven the manual Tiago now for 5350 km in Delhi traffic at it's worst - to and from work. Seventy percent of it was in winter and rest in summer. I have noticed that in winter I was getting around 17 km/l on the ODO whereas on the tank fill method it was 15 km/l. In the past month I have driven with the AC on all the time and I am getting 14.5 km/l on the ODO and 13.5 km/l by tank fill. Interestingly the difference on the ODO is less in summer with the AC on. The AMT should give almost the same if your driving style remains the same.

I have another observation which is for both AMT and manual versions. When I fill up the tank and drive the engine is definitely smoother than when the tank is less than one third full. I thought it was just a feel thing but now I am sure there is some effect of the level of fuel in the tank - head of fuel - that is felt. Tata's need to examine this. Also, I'm sure I get a better fuel efficiency on the ODO with the tank full as opposed to quarter or one third full tank. Would be very interested if others can also observes this carefully on the manual and auto manuals ( that's what i call them).
ashokabs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 12:39   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
When I fill up the tank and drive the engine is definitely smoother than when the tank is less than one third full.
I agree. I noticed it in my Nano XTA. Can any expert explain the reason. Is the fuel pump not powerful enough?
Old 1st May 2017, 12:11   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Reached 900km and returnes above 14 most of the time in city driving and the max I got was 19.5 for highway with full time AC.

As advised in maruti AMT thread, one needs to change the driving style for an AMT. You cannot press the accelerator just like DCT or TC gearbox and expect a smooth upshift. As the name states it's a manual transmission and deserve to be driven like that. The gear shift happens around 2300rpm and if we ease out the accelerator for a moment after the gear change just like how you drive a manual, the car becomes very smooth and the lag is almost non existent. I haven't got the clutch burnt smell once I started following this and pretty satisfied with the performance.
Thats a good point,what I have noticed while driving Tiago AMT,generally the tendency is to push the accelerator assuming the car will move to the next gear.However what really happens is if we push the accelerator more the car downshifts as it needs to generate more power.So the key is pushing the accelerator gently allowing the car to shift the gears.As per my experience in AMT,mostly its the car who is the the boss not the driver
amit_mind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:05   #219
BHPian

Done PDI today. The car is equipped with Bridgestone B250 tires. I initially thpugh of exchanging the tires to Yoko Earth but due to budget constraint I'm not doing that. How are the tires?
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:51   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
The car is equipped with Bridgestone B250 tires. I initially thpugh of exchanging the tires to Yoko Earth but due to budget constraint I'm not doing that. How are the tires?
Not bad. Compound is slightly on the harder side, hence its a bit heavy but has decent longevity (provided of course your wheel alignment is correct). Grip levels in dry are good and in wet conditions, not bad.
On our family Wagon - R, i did detect an increase in road noise though as the treads wore down. Resistance to punctures is commendable though. in the Wagon-R it had lasted for close to 50,000 kms, driven on terrible North Kolkata roads replete with tram tracks and what not !
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:29   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
My colleague is in the market for an economical hatch .... Celerio ZXi AMT (O).... Tiago XZA (~6.3L vs 6.38L OTR Pune), ....
He just bought a silver Tiago AMT home on Friday , preferring the overall better "feel" of the Tiago over the Celerio. He says the highest the MID has shown is 9kmpl, and is usually lower. Isnt it kinda low ?
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:39   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
He just bought a silver Tiago AMT home on Friday , preferring the overall better "feel" of the Tiago over the Celerio. He says the highest the MID has shown is 9kmpl, and is usually lower. Isnt it kinda low ?
I think it will get better as he finds the "right" driving style. Compared to the manual model the AMT needs a bit change in driving style. @audioholic posted some details somewhere. Check that.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:54   #223
BHPian

It's been a while since I bought the new Tata Tiago AMT XZA version (3 weeks to be precise). I have been driving it around Bangalore and in ORR as well. The best mileage figures I am getting is around 10 kmpl in city and I have checked it with fueling full tank - Full Tank and the MID avg figures are more or less same. It has given me 10.4 kmpl mileage.

PS: This isn't the first AMT. I also have the Tata Nano AMT since last 2 years, and the mileage on Nano AMT too is around 10-11 kmpl in Bangalore Traffic.

Haven't driven Tiago on highway's yet to determine the Mileage, but Nano when driven to Devanahalli, it gave me a mileage of 20 kmpl.

Other than that, Tiago's AC is not GOOD at all. I feel the AC is pathetic.
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:56   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

My close friend picked up a Tiago AMT XZA variant in expresso brown color a week back. I got a chance to drive the car for about 60 odd kms. Here are my observations

1. NVH levels are very similar to the manual one. Not much change there.

2. Gear shifts in the city more are a bit slow and up shifts around 2200 rpm if you do not bury the throttle, if you bury the throttle, it sort of holds for another 500 rpm. However in the sport mode, the shifts are quicker, throttle response too seems to be a little more eager (may be its just the feel factor). Holds the revs up-to 3500 rpm, bury the throttle and it holds for another 1000 rpm and then up-shifts.

3. With the AC on, I found it to struggle sometimes and taking a bit of time to build the revs up even in the lower gears.

4. Brakes set up would be good for manual, I would have been happier if the brakes had a bit more bite. May be the car is too new to comment. Let me drive it once it covers atleast a 1000 kms too see if there is any improvment.

5. Fog lamps with H16 19W bulbs is merely for a cosmetic purpose. Its pretty useless.

6. Headlights have good throw in both low and high beams. A simple upgrade to 100/90W set up will make it a lot better.

As compared to the Celerio (the other car with AMT that I have driven a bit to comment), gear shifts in Tiago seem to much better and less jurky.

It is a good buy at 6.79 lakhs on road (please buy insurance outside to keep on road price a bit lower).
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 18:44   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Other than that, Tiago's AC is not GOOD at all. I feel the AC is pathetic.
Can't comment on the mileage figures as its depends on the driving and traffic conditions, I am getting more than 14 always with AC. I feel it would improve after the first service.

Regarding the AC, please get it checked as there must be something wrong. Tiago AC is very effective and if it can perform well in Kerala summers then definitely should do better in Bangalore. I use fan speed 1 and it chills instantly, barely needs to increase the blower speed.

One generic observation is that the car needs a break-in literally, not only the engine but the entire car . Mine became very smooth after running close to 1000km, no jerks or suspension stiffness anymore. The only pending issue is the dashboard noises which has reduced considerably after some DIY fixes.
LionX is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed