Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2017, 12:40   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh

Did a test drive last week from Concorde Motors bangalore; pretty satisfied with the overall response and promptness of the dealer.

I have a Ford Figo DCT and my comparison will be mostly based on that. Have to say, I am very impressed with the overall quality of the car and the drive. As everyone pointed out, there is a definite lag in the initial gears nothing really annoying in any manner and the gear shifts are prominent an inherent feature of AMT. But overall I found the lag very minimal and can be controlled by medium to heavy foot driving style; definitely not be a deal breaker and the drive is linear from 3rd gear on wards. I liked the drive better than my Figo as the car feels very solid and road impressions are absorbed very well even with the stock tyres. NVH could have been better as the engine sound creeps into the cabin, some will find it sporty though. Needless to say the interior is far ahead in quality than Figo.

I was looking for a replacement for dad's 10 year old i10 and decided to go ahead with the booking.
LionX is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 12:48   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the test drive at my place as promised today.

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-tiagoamt.jpeg

Coming to the drive -

Starting from standstill
Release the brake pedal and car starts to creep forward. Good for bumper to bumper traffic, you don't need to fiddle with the accelerator pedal at all. The crawling speed (while moving forward), is just right, not too less or more. If moving off from a traffic light - use the accelerator pedal as soon as you move so as to get up to city speeds faster.

The crawling speed (while moving in reverse) seemed a little high to me. If you release the brake anticipating similar response as in the forward gear, you will be surprised. Not really something problematic but certainly something to watch out for.

Picking up speed while moving
As people earlier pointed out, there is a certain lag when shifting from 1 to 2. For a moment, the momentum keeps you moving while the 2nd gear is engaged. From then on, it gains speed normally. I did touch speeds a shade under the ton mark on empty stretches, but other than the engine noice (music was off), the car seemed well composed.

Did not notice this pause (or jerk) while decelerating.

The incline test
They are everywhere in our cities now, whether you are going shopping, go to a movie, going to office, parking at home, or even simply cruising around town - inclines are everywhere.

I wanted to check how this AMT fared while climbing. Creep mode alone will not see you through any serious climbs. Mild ones, maybe. Though the SA expected me to use the same leg and do the brake+accelerator thing, I tried the handbrake approach. Works fine but you need to wriggle with the A pedal a bit to get it moving without rolling back. Ah, the hill hold feature would have been so good to have.

Other bits
  • At city speeds (30 to 60 kmph) the NVH was pretty good. Add to it the fantastic music system and the cabin feels like a good place to be in.
  • The AMT is available only in XZA variant meaning dual airbags+ABS are standard.
  • XZ is usually available in a WA (without alloys) version too, but not XZA.
  • Standard warranty is for 2 years, 75000 kms. Extended warranty and AMC packages are available.
  • On road Delhi comes to almost 6 lakhs or so, if you leave out the various packages on offer. The insurance component is going up for sure due to TPL cover cost.
  • Booking amount 10,000 and waiting period - 1 month.

Anyone interested in and around Dwarka, NCR, can request a test drive from AutoVikas, Mr.Prabhakar - Eight eight two six nine nine six zero one seven. A thorough gentleman.

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-tiagopricelist.jpeg
Dry Ice is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 13:49   #108
BHPian

I drove the Tiago XZA this morning. My driving route was entirely in the city with no empty stretches where the car could be pushed. This was my second time driving an AMT car but I have driven a jazz CVT several times.

For those who are new to AMT cars, be aware that the AMT system is a compromise between the cost of a conventional automatic and the functionality required. No AMT gearbox is going to be as smooth as a torque converter planetary gearbox, let alone a CVT.

Now to the Tiago XZA. The car's design and finishing are impressive compared to any car in its class. The car I drove today had even better finishing and build compared to the manual Tiago cars from the initial production. The start off was very smooth - no vibration or juddering from the transmission. As others have mentioned, I too , noticed the delay between 1st and 2nd gears. This is clearly noticeable but I didn't find it annoying. The rest of the gear shifts were smooth. The car didn't put a single foot wrong during the drive and I must admit that I was impressed at how smooth and grown up the car is. The figurative fly in the ointment is the nvh of the engine. Though not objectionable, it's below the benchmark set by Honda, Hyundai or Maruti with their refined 4 cylinder engines. Note that only the engine noise and vibration are the issues - road noise and vibration from the suspension are very well damped and on this point, the Tiago is as good as any car below 10 lakhs.

I liked the Tiago XZA so much that I am considering it seriously as my next car, that I hope to buy soon.
Motard_Blr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 18:31   #109
BHPian

Booked Espresso Brown at Concorde Motors in Kerala, will be taking the delivery later this week as the new stock has already arrived. Will keep you guys posted regarding the delivery experience.
LionX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 20:49   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Booked Espresso Brown at Concorde Motors in Kerala, will be taking the delivery later this week as the new stock has already arrived. Will keep you guys posted regarding the delivery experience.
Congrats and Keep us posted on the Sales Experience

While the Dealer told me there is a 4 week waiting he also called out that depending on color preference he may have ready stock. I don't think there is any "very long" wait times to be worried about. I finished the Ignis Delta AMT Test Drive and yet to finalize my decision. I will take my time, and I have no issue in waiting 4 weeks if it comes to that.

On another note, I had some additional questions:
1. What brand and model of tyres does the Tiago AMT come with?
2. What is the Service Interval on the Tiago?

Somehow there are no review videos of the Tiago AMT from any of the usual reviewers on YouTube yet...
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:57   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
On another note, I had some additional questions:
1. What brand and model of tyres does the Tiago AMT come with?
2. What is the Service Interval on the Tiago?

1. Goodyear assurance or Bridgestone B250.

2. As per the user manual 7500 km or 6 months. This is lower than other cars - usually 10000 km or 1 year.

Incidentally, I finally drove the Ignis after planning one for many weeks. I found it a bit disappointing after the Tiago. No doubt the exterior looks cool and trendy but the interior didn't feel special enough to match the hype. The ride too, didn't match the hype in media. The performance is good but not extraordinary. To me, the Ignis is more style than substance. The biggest advantage it has is the Maruti Suzuki name and that is certainly not to be underestimated.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 23:15   #112
BHPian

Sadly no AMT test drive car in Kolkata. So I drove the MT today. The car looks and feels good. But I found the rear headroom is a bit less. A 6 feet tall guy will have problems there.
I also drove ignis, Celerio and Kwid (all AMT versions). IMO the Celerio zxi (o) is most VFM except the steering which felt heavier to me. Kwid is a no -no specially due to lack of manual override of the AMT.
Tiago AMT may be the balance but I couldn't say so unless I drive it. But the fear about Tata uncertainty always plays back in mind.
Old 4th April 2017, 00:06   #113
BHPian

Got my car's vin number from the dealer, just did some decoding and realized that it was manufactured in January. Found out strange as AMT was revealed only in March and initially thought that was a mistake from the dealer. The sales guy confirmed it is indeed manufactured in January, told that tata has initiated production well before the reveal to reduce waiting period. Possible??
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 08:36   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Got my car's vin number from the dealer, just did some decoding and realized that it was manufactured in January. Found out strange as AMT was revealed only in March and initially thought that was a mistake from the dealer. The sales guy confirmed it is indeed manufactured in January, told that tata has initiated production well before the reveal to reduce waiting period. Possible??
Absolutely. Got my VIN number too.
Jan 2017 manufactured.
I feel it is the very first batch, of which member RavenAvi had shared spyshots while being assembled on the factory floor. Maybe Tata had manufactured it but the launch / announcement got delayed due to whatever reasons (Hexa drives? Wanted it closer to Tigor? Busy with Geneva and RaceMo/TaMo).
I sincerely hope 2 months / 3 months will not be much of an issue when it comes the actual vehicle. Going for a PDI tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 08:56   #115
BHPian

TD of Tiago XZA - at Concorde Motors, Prabhadevi, Mumbai.
First off - full marks to the dealership. Excellent co-ordination by the SA Mr. Kashif Merchant, smooth as butter process and absolute transparency on every single bit. Prompt, punctual responses and clear answers. Could not ask for a better way of transacting.
The dealer, also responsive, eager, arranged for TD on Sunday, no unnecessary questions, good treatment, cordial and welcoming.

The car was booked even without a TD, but my Dad had never driven a AMT, hence it was primarily for him. Wife was already in love with the Nano AMT, just a matter of getting her a bigger, safer car.

Impressions of the Tiago were already good! WAY better than the Celerio in every department - so just mentioning the AMT bit.
Advantage #1 - the vibrations are gone! No vibrations on the gear lever, no worrying about gear shifts - the clutch WAS definitely soft, but now no worries about the future of the clutch or a notchy gear box
Advantage #2 - Creep mode! Worked well on the parking incline inside the Concorde Motors vicinity and a boon in traffic

Minor disadvantages:
#1 Dead pedal is, well, non-existent maybe. Too tiny and could have done with a rubber bit stuck on top
#2 DEFINITE lag between 1st and 2nd gear shift ONLY. Nothing after that between 3, 4 and 5. Lag MAYBE noticed by a keen passenger, but is definitely felt by the driver. It decreases to 80 - 90% of it's value in sports mode. I feel the lag is because the system is not sure whether you are going to brake or accelerate further and accordingly it holds the gear for a fraction of a second extra. NOT a downer to drive. Does not cause any 'issue'. It's just a mention.

Rest, butter smooth. Good suspension. Comfortable seats. Reasonable amount of features. Plastics improved - much better than Celerio or Ritz. Better cubby hole upfront in AMT version. Cup holders in centre console felt shallow.

Biggest problem is - once you see the TIGOR - you suddenly want all of that in the Tiago.
More on that here.
No reason to cancel my booking. Nothing else comes close. Should be taking the delivery soon.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 09:42   #116
mxx
BHPian

Is there any news or rumor about tiago diesel AMT?
Old 4th April 2017, 10:04   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Is there any news or rumor about tiago diesel AMT?
Doubtful. Read somewhere that the Tiago sales Petroliesel is close to 80:20 (78 IIRC). So for 20% Diesel sales introducing an AMT might not be on the agenda at all for TML.
They MAY introduce the Tigor Diesel with AMT as member RavenAvi had reported. Since the Zest & Swift Dzire are the cheapest Diesel AMTs
Old 4th April 2017, 19:36   #118
BHPian

Booked a espresso brown Tiago XZA today. Managed to get ₹10000 discount. No freebies though. But the SA told me he would look into floor mats although not promised that. Expected delivery is by 28th April. OTR in Kolkata came around 6.24L including extended warranty but without the AMC.
My first Tata car. Let's see.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 19:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

OK, I had called the Concorde guy and was enquiring more on the waiting time etc. The Sales guy told me that there was a price hike information that they have received about the Tiago AMT. I am not sure if he was saying this to pressurize me to buy quickly or what.

Has anyone else heard of a price rise on the Tiago AMT?
Old 4th April 2017, 20:54   #120
BHPian

Are Tatas offering any touchscreen music system which can also double as reverse camera display as add-on?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks