Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2016, 16:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh

A heavily-camouflaged version of the Tata Tiago AMT has recently been spotted testing on public roads. An image of the interior clearly shows the changed gear lever, which points to it being the AMT variant. Once launched, the Tiago AMT will be the third AMT product in Tata's portfolio, after the Nano and the Zest.

With booking stats touching the 20,000 mark, it is apparent that the Tiago has managed to get the ball rolling for Tata Motors. The Tiago was launched as a direct competitor to the Maruti Suzuki Celerio, especially due to their matching price tags. The biggest plus point that the Celerio has over the Tiago is the presence of an AMT gearbox as an option. As a result, Tata has now decided to attack that USP as well, by launching the Tiago AMT in the market.

The AMT gearbox will be offered with the petrol variants first, while a diesel AMT will too be introduced at a later date. This will also make the Tiago the only car in the segment to offer a diesel AMT.

Though there has been no official word about the launch date of the Tata Tiago AMT, rumours suggest that it would be introduced before the festive season, i.e. around September 2016.

Source: Autocar India

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160702124533_tiago1.jpg

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160702124538_tiago2.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 4th July 2016 at 16:39.
dZired is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 18:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh

Tata is now keeping up the pace with market and customer preferences. If they are able to bring both petrol and diesel AMT for Tiago; this would be segment first and can keep the cash register ringing while ensuring reasonable profit margins for TML because of the options made available to the customers.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 18:16   #3
BHPian

I think it's time for Tata Motors to finally get some market share, for all the right reasons. They seem to have finally broken the jinx, now that they've started to understand the difference between cheap and value.
vivekgk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 18:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Move. Tiago as a product looks fantastic, feels fantastic and has the scope of turning into a big sell over the long run for Tata. Launching the AMT versions of Petrol and Diesel at the same time will seriously cannibalise Celerio and Alto Sales as people will see more value in a Tiago then an Alto or a Celerio.
humyum is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 19:22   #5
BANNED

i wish very best to tata. Tiago looks really great from the back. I am seeing more of these on the road now. Hope it has less niggles and builds positive vibe for tata.

Regarding AMT, hill assist should be must.
ottocycle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 07:46   #6
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
i wish very best to tata. Tiago looks really great from the back. I am seeing more of these on the road now. Hope it has less niggles and builds positive vibe for tata.

Regarding AMT, hill assist should be must.
The reasons I believe why Hill assist is not provided by manufacturers are many:
1. ABS is a must and that system must have the possibility to accept braking/release requests from other systems.
2. Possibility of higher clutch wear.
3. The effort for development and testing. Though this is relatively low, it will add to the cost of an already cost sensitive AMT.
4. Presence of a workaround using the hand brake.

Ideally a crawl sort of mode in which engine idles at a higher speed and clutch is made to close faster will be easier to implement in existing AMT systems and might partially solve the rollback problem of AMT.
Old 5th July 2016, 09:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

why would you camouflage the AMT version of a car that is currently on sale already?

Sounds Counter productive if the intention is to not draw attention. Why not just remove the AMT badge, or better yet, put a towel over the gear lever?

Maybe the purpose here is to generate viral publicity ?
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 10:22   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Possibility of higher clutch wear.
Actually, the possibility of higher clutch wear is more without hill start assist than with it. On inclines, things can get so bad with an AMT that manufacturers specifically fit stickers & warnings that tell you to use the handbrake on inclines. I've personally seen the 'transmission overheating' warning on a climb.

AMTs suffer from rollback on inclines that isn't easy to handle for the average driver. IMHO, hill start assist is a must-have feature on AMTs.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 11:41   #9
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually, the possibility of higher clutch wear is more without hill start assist than with it. On inclines, things can get so bad with an AMT that manufacturers specifically fit stickers & warnings that tell you to use the handbrake on inclines. I've personally seen the 'transmission overheating' warning on a climb.

AMTs suffer from rollback on inclines that isn't easy to handle for the average driver. IMHO, hill start assist is a must-have feature on AMTs.
Oh ok. I was under the assumption that AMT tries to avoid half clutch or clutch slipping scenarios as far as possible and introduction of a hill assist will necessitate half clutching to some extent.
Maybe in inclines with minimal accelerator pedal inputs, clutch slipping is unavoidable which causes excessive heating.
Old 5th July 2016, 11:42   #10
BANNED

Hope Tata motors has the common sense to launch both diesel and petrol AMT. They have the technology, so there is no reason not to. That can only result in capturing a good market share and they can follow up with better cars down the line, say five years and get the Tiago customers to upgrade. A strategy which is successfully emulated by many.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 23:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
The AMT gearbox will be offered with the petrol variants first, while a diesel AMT will too be introduced at a later date. This will also make the Tiago the only car in the segment to offer a diesel AMT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Hope Tata motors has the common sense to launch both diesel and petrol AMT.
It says so in the opening post

With the Zest Diesel AMT finding a decent number of buyers, Tata should introduce AMT with all of their diesel vehicles in future. It really will be a key differentiator, and like Hyundai will draw a lot of city customers who want an automatic due to traffic, but want a diesel to ensure good mileage.
VeluM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 10:54   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
introduction of a hill assist will necessitate half clutching to some extent
No manufacturer will use half-clutch to hold the car on inclines! That's a sure shot way of wearing out your clutch.

Hill Start Assist / Hill Hold always uses the braking system.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 12:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
why would you camouflage the AMT version of a car that is currently on sale already?
Spy photos, news articles, rumours, public interest - all for free. So why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hill Start Assist / Hill Hold always uses the braking system.
True.

But I doubt Tata will / can provide HSA in this price bracket, as they will have to use ESP instead of the regular ABS. Along with the additional cost of ESP unit (which comes with costly pressure sensors inside), they will have to add a sensor cluster, a steering angle sensor, and also spend a long time, effort and money for ESP development.
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:08   #14
BHPian

Hi All,

Any news on the launch date of the Tiago AMT version. I am trying to get some info regarding it from the local Kolkata dealers, but they do not seem to have any idea about the same.

I am looking for a small car with AMT and having all the safety features (dual airbags, ABS + EBD) for my wife. And somehow the ones from the Maruti stable does not impress me much.

I have already checked out the Tiago Manual and it looks promising.

Some of the websites are predicting a pre-Diwali launch. But how confirmed is the news?
Old 11th November 2016, 17:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Tata Tiago AMT India launch next year

As per recent media reports, the Tiago AMT variant will be officially launched in India in 2017. The car was earlier expected to be introduced during this year's festive season. However, Tata's focus is currently on the Hexa SUV, which will be launching during the early months of next year. This has pushed back the introduction of the Tiago AMT.

The Tiago AMT has already been spotted testing on public roads in the country. It is expected to get a Magneti Marelli sourced AMT unit, which will be mated to the 1.2-litre Revotron petrol engine.

With the Tiago AMT's launch, the Indian automaker will be trying to target the major USP of its chief rival, the Maruti Celerio. Another automatic player coming in the Tiago's competitor list is the Kwid AMT, which is expected to be launched in the coming weeks.

Source: Car and Bike
dZired is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks