Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2016, 18:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: The Toyota Innova Crysta Petrol. EDIT - Launched @ Rs. 13.73 lakhs

The difference between VX manual and ZX automatic is a whopping INR 3 lakh.
For that money, Toyota better give me the car and pay my petrol bills for a year or two.

I think Toyota better offer more (i.e. AT option) in their mid- variant of the petrol and diesel.

This car is too expensive to buy and will be expensive to run. The petrol versions will mostly suffer the same fate as the old model.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 20:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
For that money, Toyota better give me the car and pay my petrol bills for a year or two.
Not sure why you are surprised. Check the difference in price between GX and VX manual variants, it is almost 3L. Considering that ZX gains ESP and more airbags, it is actually VFM compared to VX especially since the car also gains Automatic Gearbox.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 23:30   #33
Team-BHP Support

It's plain greed of Toyota more than anything else in case ZX Diesel / ZX Petrol and VX Diesel/VX Petrol are similarly loaded going by a quick comparison of Petrol vs Diesel.

2.4 VX MT 7 MT 17,72,623 - Diesel ( 2,4 Ltr Engine )
2.8 ZX AT 7 AT 20,97,139 - Diesel ( 2,8 Ltr Engine )

Difference - Rs 3,25 Lac,

2.7 ZX AT 7 AT 19,66,139 ( 2,7 Ltr Engine )
2.7 VX MT 7 MT 16,60,623 ( 2,7 Ltr Engine )

Difference - 3,05 Lac

Does this mean that it costs Toyota Rs 20,000 Extra for 2,8 Ltr Engine

I think their management, has some super superiority complex and only some of capable products from competitors can make them competitive in future. They should have better taken a cue from their failure with Liva twins. They could have easily priced Petrol ZX version a lac cheaper and many of D segment buyers would have happily chosen this fully loaded. Petrol is definitely going to get flopped.

* - All Ex-Showroom Chandigarh Prices -
http://www.toyotabharat.com/pricelist/
Attached Thumbnails
The Toyota Innova Crysta Petrol. EDIT - Launched @ Rs. 13.73 lakhs-screen-shot-20160808-11.22.10-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th August 2016 at 23:43.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 05:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

I think Toyota better offer more (i.e. AT option) in their mid- variant of the petrol and diesel.

This car is too expensive to buy and will be expensive to run. The petrol versions will mostly suffer the same fate as the old model.
I'm not sure I entirely agree. If the VX price is acceptable, the ZX price, with its extra features, does not do too badly in terms of value. Also, over the years, the consumers have matured, and many (relatively) lower usage customers are buying based on their usage patterns. I expect the ZX Petrol AT to do well.

Well, there is a contention that all Innovas are overpriced, but in that case, the customer is not in Toyota's target scenarios. Having owned an Innova myself, I find this good value, and I would gladly buy the ZX if (maybe when) its time for the next car.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 06:59   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I find the discussion about pricing of petrol models funny and rhetorical. Our market has no space for petrol guzzling MPV/SUVs yet. This has an ARAI certified FE of under 10 kmpl for the manual variant. In real life this would be more like 6-7 kmpl I guess. That has FLOP written all over it from the start.

Last edited by Zappo : 9th August 2016 at 13:22. Reason: Typo correccted
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 07:59   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

And here is what TKML has to say about the Diesel Ban and the affecting sales. Sure it is relevant to Crysta thread I suppose:

Diesel ban: Toyota loses business worth 1,700 crore

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Toyota said on Monday that it has lost business worth around Rs 1,700 crore due to the ban on diesel vehicles in the Delhi-NCR region. The statement comes on a day when the company drove in a petrol version of its best-seller ' Innova+ ' MPV in the market, priced between Rs 13.7 lakh and Rs 19.6 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

"The ban on sale of large diesel vehicles has impacted our business badly, and we have lost sale of around 8,500 units of the Innova and the Fortuner SUV," N Raja, Sales & Marketing Director at the company's Indian operations, Toyota Kirloskar Motors, told TOI.

The ban on diesel engine above 2-lires+ has been in place since December last year, and Toyota and Mercedes Benz+ are two companies that have been the worst affected.

Raja said that it has been a "big dampener" to demand in the region and operations at dealerships have been badly impacted. "It's a grim situation and we are hoping for a solution to the problem."

The Supreme Court, which is now hearing the matter, has reserved its verdict on the issue and the industry fears that the apex court may impose a 'green cess' on diesel vehicles to dissuade people from buying them in view of their higher emissions.

Raja, however, said that he expects a sizeable demand for the 2.7-litre petrol version of the Innova even though the lion's share will continue to come from the diesel variant, where the company has versions with 2.4-litre and 2.8-litre that are priced between Rs 13.84 lakh and Rs 20.78 lakh (ex-showroom Mumbai).

The company has launched a new-generation version of Innova in May and Raja said that around 24,000 units have been sold so far.

While the company is confident on the outlook of the Innova, officials have said that new investments in India will be impacted due to the ban on diesel.

"There is erosion of confidence in India... We are halting new investments, most definitely," Shekar Viswanathan, vice-chairman and director at the company's India subsidiary Toyota Kirloskar Motor, said recently. "We will bring in some products that were planned, but fresh proposals will be on ice for a while... We will rework product plans, at least till 2020. Some of the products that we had planned to introduce will be re-thought."

Source
: Times of India

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th August 2016 at 08:01.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 08:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Toyota Innova Crysta Petrol. EDIT - Launched @ Rs. 13.73 lakhs

With the unpredictability of our government, or rather, the way they operate, a colleague switched his booking to a petrol Innova. He is least bothered about fuel economy. In fact, he waited close to 3 months for his ride, the car is ready to deliver and he changed his mind. I did try to convince to stay with the diesel but he does not want to take any chances.
Old 9th August 2016, 09:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Innova is a premium product for Toyota and CNG/LPG is mostly seen as "cheap" fuel and is often avoided due to its dryness in piston causing reduction in lubrication.
However, I personally do not see CNG/LPG as cheap fuel and would love to see options with these.
There is no difference in combustion process between LPG and Petrol, the compression ratio is fractionally higher for LPG. In fact LPG burns more efficiently than Petrol. The root cause of this misconception is that people prefer to use cooking gas as Auto fuel for economic reasons, but Auto LPG is as good as Petrol from usage point of view. I agree that there is a thought in people's mind that Petrol helps oil to lubricate piston while LPG does not offer any support to Oil. What Toyota have missed out here is, they could have offered a turbocharged 1.5L engine option for Petrol variants of Innova rather than going for a bigger NA petrol engine.
Old 9th August 2016, 11:23   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Too optimistic, Toyota. 3-lakh-rupee price differences across variants, that too petrol! Looks like the early success of the Crysta diesel has gone to their heads.

I would surely like a shot of what the pricing pundits at Toyota were smoking when they cooked up the price list and approved them.

For one, I feel that the petrols have become overpriced by at least a lakh, if not more. A less-than-13 lakh starting price tag would have made the petrol seem VFM and viable for even the fleet operators. Now, it's steeply overpriced!

Second, the price difference between the GX and VX variants is plain ridiculous - for almost 3 lakhs more, you get a touchscreen infotainment system with 2 extra speakers, black fabric leather seats, LED headlamps with auto function, driver seat height adjustment and fog lamps. That's it? Why can't someone simply buy the GX and get these fitted for much less? All he would miss out on, is driver seat height adjustment.

At least the fully-loaded ZX seems justifiable with plenty of extra equipment for the 3-more-lakh rupee difference - 4 more airbags, stability control & hill start assist, ABS with EBD and BA, hazel brown leather seats, electrically adjustable driver's seat, front and rear climate control, touchscreen HU with navigation, cruise control and 17-inch alloys.

Pricing should have started at around Rs 12.5-12.75 lakhs mark and ended at around the Rs 17.5-18 lakh mark, tops. Could have made the 2.7L, 9-10 kmpl Crysta petrols at least look like semi-attractive options, plus pulled some sales from the now-forbidden twin markets.

As things stand now, Toyota better be prepared to be unpleasantly surprised by the market's response.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th August 2016 at 11:35.
Old 9th August 2016, 11:26   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I find the discussion about pricing of petrol models funny and rhetorical. Our market has no space for petrol guzzling MPV/SUVs yet. This has an ARAI certified FE of under 10 kmpl for the manual variant. In real life this would be more like 6-7 kmpl I guess. That has FLOP written all over it from the start.
You mean an ARAI certified FE under 9 kmpl?

Last edited by Zappo : 9th August 2016 at 13:28. Reason: Quote corrected
daywiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 15:10   #41
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The petrol engine itself is a deal breaker keeping in mind the primitive nature. The pricing does not help either. Half baked effort.
Old 9th August 2016, 16:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Beats me as to why when the whole world is downsizing engine capacity, Toyota seems to be up-sizing!! Already the big boys are facing the heat at 2000cc and above, and with all pomp and pageantry you introduce two diesel's: 2400cc and 2800cc and also price it sky high and introduce a petrol with a 2700 cc capacity!!! I think after all these years Toyota doesn't want to "Innova"te and stick to the same tried and tested old formula of heavy chassis (2000 kgs), instead of smart packaging go for an increase in length and to compensate go for a larger engine capacity. I think the Innova must be called a 'Retrova' rather than an Innova! On top of it you cry foul and say that you have lost 1700 cr in business! Toyota better 'Innova'te, probably Toyota reserves that word for the Western markets and for the Asian markets it's happy giving products that aren't efficient! I think Toyota must have used this chance to go for a lighter more efficient chassis, smart packaging (decreased length), hybrid engine tech, then the price may have been justified.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 9th August 2016 at 16:57.
Old 10th August 2016, 07:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Beats me as to why when the whole world is downsizing engine capacity, Toyota seems to be up-sizing!! Already the big boys are facing the heat at 2000cc and above, and with all pomp and pageantry you introduce two diesel's: 2400cc and 2800cc and also price it sky high and introduce a petrol with a 2700 cc capacity!!!
Bigger engines got an advantage over the smaller units on highways. If one is not too tempted, these can cruise all day long without breaking a sweat and actually delivering a FE which can better the low capacity engines. Besides, the engine will not be stressed and can have a longer life too.

If I am getting Innova as a company car, I would definitely pick the petrol one.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 19:24   #44
BHPian

I am in Noida (NCR) and am very very keen to buy a 2.8AT. However, owing to the ban am unable to- waiting for this Friday's SC ruling! I went to a Toyota showroom today to take a look at the Petrol version, and they are pulling out all stops to woo customers. They have large cutouts of the engines, specifications, enticing displays, et all. Collected the brochure but surprisingly they have not listed the fuel efficiency anywhere. The sales guy said we will officially write on the invoice when you buy one! I currently own a CRV 2005 AT and the mileage at 6km/L kills me. Wifey says no matter what, you cannot pick another fuel guzzler- definitely not!
Old 10th August 2016, 19:29   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrt View Post
Collected the brochure but surprisingly they have not listed the fuel efficiency anywhere. The sales guy said we will officially write on the invoice when you buy one! I currently own a CRV 2005 AT and the mileage at 6km/L kills me. Wifey says no matter what, you cannot pick another fuel guzzler- definitely not!
The ARAI certified FE for the AT is 10.xx IIRC. The MT stands at 9.xx kmpl. In real world conditions expect it to be similar to your CRV. And that is the reason Toyota might not be interested in displaying that. I would suggest wait for a bit more and see what the courts say. The way things are going, they will reach an agreement on that extra 1% tax as a face saving exercise.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed