Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 15:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Toyota Innova Crysta Petrol. EDIT - Launched @ Rs. 13.73 lakhs

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion on the Innova Petrol Review Thread. Thanks!

When Toyota launched the Innova Crysta in India with only diesel engine options, the move was widely questioned as the market is currently showcasing inclination towards petrol powered cars. Moreover, the Diesel car ban applicable in Delhi-NCR ensured that the Innova Crysta couldn't be sold there. But now, Toyota India seems to have addressed this flaw, as advertisements released by the automaker now suggest that the Innova Crysta Petrol will be launched in India in the first week of August.

The Innova Crysta petrol will most likely be powered by a 2.7-litre four-cylinder Dual VVT-i petrol engine that churns out 164 BHP and 245 Nm of torque. This engine will be offered with two transmission options: a 5-speed manual and a 6-speed automatic.

Toyota will launch the Innova Crysta petrol in two variants, with each of them getting the manual or automatic transmission option. Prices of the Innova Crysta petrol are expected to undercut its diesel counterpart by around Rs. 50,000.

Source: OnCars

The Toyota Innova Crysta Petrol. EDIT - Launched @ Rs. 13.73 lakhs-innovapetrol.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2017 at 15:13. Reason: Linking to review thread
dZired is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 15:37   #2
BHPian

re: The Toyota Innova Crysta Petrol. EDIT - Launched @ Rs. 13.73 lakhs

Wow that looks like a great move by Innova. And the specs really seems impressive! The torque itself is way better than the previous generation Diesel innova if you compare! I'm sure it will find a good share of sales even in other markets than Delhi where diesel ban may be coming very soon
freakmuzik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 16:37   #3
BHPian

Any information or confirmation on the ARAI declared Fuel Economy for the Petrol version. I hope the test figures are a minimum of 16 kmpl to get 9-10 kmpl in city driving.
Old 5th July 2016, 17:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Any information or confirmation on the ARAI declared Fuel Economy for the Petrol version. I hope the test figures are a minimum of 16 kmpl to get 9-10 kmpl in city driving.
The rated kmpl in the Gulf specs (which is the same petrol as the one they are launching there) is rated at around 10 kmpl on a combined cycle. dont know how much ARAI testing is going to show up with
daywiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 17:08   #5
BHPian

I guess this engine would be imported,and even if they are able to sell around 100 units in and around NCR region, its worth the trouble.
Visran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 18:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

2.7 liter petrol will not give an efficiency better than 5-6 km/l. Toyota was better off putting a direct injection turbo petrol instead of this huge displacement, low specific output behemoth.
reignofchaos is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 19:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Prices of the Innova Crysta petrol are expected to undercut its diesel counterpart by around Rs. 50,000.
The price gap between diesel and petrol models seems to be almost insignificant compared to the price of the car. In such a scenario, anybody who has an option will buy the diesel version. Probably Toyota is targeting the petrol version only for markets where it can't sell the diesel version (NCR for now?)
mustang_shelby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 21:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post

Toyota will launch the Innova Crysta petrol in two variants, with each of them getting the manual or automatic transmission option. Prices of the Innova Crysta petrol are expected to undercut its diesel counterpart by around Rs. 50,000.
Isn't that too narrow a price gap? I think resale of the diesel version is good enough to justify the high price.

The initial batches will no doubt be reserved for NCR region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I hope the test figures are a minimum of 16 kmpl to get 9-10 kmpl in city driving.
Highly doubt it. The old 2.0 petrol had ARAI rating as 10.3x KMPL. I know from an owner that it used to deliver about 8 kmpl in the city and 10.5 to 11 kmpl on the highway.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 21:47   #9
BHPian

Yeah even I doubt whether the Innova 2.7L petrol would return more than 8 kmpl in the city, especially for the 6-speed automatic.

The Innova is a big heavy vehicle so a petrol variant especially, should not be expected to give a good mileage. Even the diesel may not give a great mileage, as that engine too is a big 2.8L one.

I guess owners should be happy if they get around 7 or 8 kmpl max in the city for the petrol automatic, and about 10-11 kmpl in the city for the diesel automatic. Manual variants correspondingly may deliver 1 or 1.5 kmpl more.

This vehicle is more about space, luggage carrying ability and generally travelling with more people in great comfort and not fuel efficiency.
VSG12777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 22:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The old 2.0 petrol had ARAI rating as 10.3x KMPL. I know from an owner that it used to deliver about 8 kmpl in the city and 10.5 to 11 kmpl on the highway.
As a Petrol Inova owner, I will agree to these figures. Highway mileage goes for a toss when driven beyond 120, it drops to 7-8 when driven around 140 or so.
Quote:
I guess owners should be happy if they get around 7 or 8 kmpl max in the city for the petrol automatic, and about 10-11 kmpl in the city for the diesel automatic. Manual variants correspondingly may deliver 1 or 1.5 kmpl more.
If they are going to use the existing 5-speed manual, Auto may even give a better mileage over manual as it's 6 speed, especially on highways at speeds higher than 120 .

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th July 2016 at 22:15.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 22:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not know if the rest of the country has suddenly started assuming NCR people as fools. There is no market for this car in NCR. We might have evolved in our car buying over the years but still not to the extent that people will go ahead and buy Petrol guzzling MUV/SUVs. If that was the case then you would be seeing all top end cars running in petrol variants whereas the truth is the opposite of that.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 22:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Large People movers are not preferred usually in their petrol variants.

Toyota is trying to target premium customers with AT in petrol, last time petrol was in manual only.

I do wish them success, however, am skeptical of the car being accepted by public at a meager price difference.

Can CNG be installed in this, then it might help, but price difference has to be more.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 23:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The pricing difference is too little for the purchase to make sense, except for the ban affected NCR market, though with the removal of the ban, the petrol will be a sitting duck except for a small number of private sales.

Look like here TKM had to make a choice between using the 2.0l petrol, which was underpowered but cheaper, or the more powerful 2.7l petrol and price it almost at par with the 2.4 diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

If they are going to use the existing 5-speed manual, Auto may even give a better mileage over manual as it's 6 speed, especially on highways at speeds higher than 120 .
Like you said, the automatic (11.3km/l) is indeed more FE than the manual (10.7km/l), though for city driving I guess one can eke more in the manual.

Taken from Toyota Saudi

The Toyota Innova Crysta Petrol. EDIT - Launched @ Rs. 13.73 lakhs-screenshot_20160705224557.png

For perspective. The Fortuner 2.4 4x4 A/T gives 13km/l in their website. And the Hilux 2.4 4x2 M/T (same spec as Innova Crysta 2.4) gives 15.9km/l.

( funny that the Saudis are feeling the pinch and Toyota is selling diesel engines in the Fortuner, Prado and LC200 in that market. )

Last edited by DicKy : 5th July 2016 at 23:14.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 08:46   #14
BHPian

Going by judges' comment, diesel ban will be lifted soon, so Petrol Crysta will be just a filler product for Toyota. It won't sell much.
Old 6th July 2016, 09:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselva View Post
Going by judges' comment, diesel ban will be lifted soon, so Petrol Crysta will be just a filler product for Toyota. It won't sell much.
It might be lifted but may be with a significant dampener, if the proposal of environmental pollution control authority is implemented (10 - 25% additional green tax for diesel vehicles and not just 2000 cc+ category). So only the future may tell whether large sized petrol will be a hit or not. Mahindra is already preparing to launch petrol version of Scorpio by the end of the year to prepare for any adversities w.r.t. diesel vehicles in future.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks