Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2016, 17:29   #46
BHPian

Re: Diesel car sales cut by half! Now only 26% market-share

An important thing to consider is the segment of vehicle. Some segments (SUVs,Compact SUVs, people movers, utility vehicles - not considering the sub compact SUVs here though) are typically best suited in their diesel Avtars. Not that Petrols aren't the norm (Middle East for example). But in India these segments I think will continue to be diesel oriented. Thus a petrol purchase in these segment will depreciate much faster and may get very poor resale value and very limited resale demand. Diesel versions on the other hand will hold their value and get better resale demand. These segments will have people who buy petrol versions but these will form a very small minority.

Sub compact SUVs will probably be a balanced case.

A, B segment vehicles were just unnatural shifts into the diesel arena and therefore this number is not dropping and returning to their normal ratios.

B+,C and D segments will continue to enjoy reasonable demand for Diesels.

As the size of the vehicle grows the difference is efficiency is more start between diesel and petrol. The story of move back to petrol is probably only in the hatchbacks area. Since these dominate the number ergo the percentages indicate the petrol preference.
vineshpikale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 17:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatta151 View Post
My prediction owning a Diesel car is going to be increasingly costlier in future due to stricter environmental regulations.
Agreed ,once the Supreme court imposes cess ,which would increase the price of diesel cars ,the math would entirely shift in the favour of Petrol cars as diesels are already expensive than their petrol siblings and if they become more expensive(supreme court is thinking of putting cess of 10-15% in its next hearing) there would be no point buying diesels .

If anyone has high monthly running and looking to purchase a diesel car then he should buy it before this cess is implemented else later on you would have no choice but to purchase petrols as no calculations would be favouring diesels then .
ddndrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 21:43   #48
BHPian

Even if supreme court puts a cess,manufacturers can come up with "Diesel hybrids" like Ciaz and states like Delhi can help such cars to be priced just a grand expensive than their petrol versions.
Old 11th July 2016, 01:45   #49
BHPian

Interesting thread. One point that people have not addressed is the longevity and rebuild cost of petrol value diesel engines. While the two tend to cancel out in both the cases, it would still be interesting to hear some informed opinion.

Or have private car owners pretty much given up on the concept of rebuilding engines?
Old 11th July 2016, 08:52   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

One clear trend is that company-lease schemes will move exclusively to petrol cars as the big leasing companies tend to be quite risk-averse, somewhat 'green' in their dealings and keep a hawk eye on resale values at the end of the lease term.

Additionally, MNCs (especially the US-headquartered ones) already dictate no diesels so this trend will only accelerate.
Old 15th July 2016, 21:34   #51

Petrol Price Slashed By Rs 2.25/Litre, Diesel Cheaper By 42 Paise/Litre -

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/economy/...4?via=whatsapp (Sent via NDTV)
Old 16th July 2016, 08:42   #52
BHPian

So now the difference b/w both the fuels comes down to mere rs.8 per litre
Old 16th July 2016, 09:09   #53
BHPian

Diesel car sales cut by half! Now only 26% market-share

I believe the difference between the two is still about Rs.13 in Punjab state.

I have bought a Vitara Brezza recently and even though I have done more than 5000 kms in the last 3 months since I got it. I would still prefer buying a petrol Brezza if it were available.

Resale value be damned.
Old 16th July 2016, 11:13   #54
BHPian

The price difference is 7.0 Rs in Kerala . The way the prices are coming closer in recent years it seems with in another year or two diesel might become pricier to petrol. More than diesel ban , this will act as the biggest deterrent in buying diesel vehicles as it won't make any more sense to pay the premium for diesel vehicles compared to petrol.
Old 18th July 2016, 12:52   #55
BHPian

Just now this came in Diesel car sales cut by half! Now only 26% market-share-imageuploadedbyteambhp1468826495.872216.jpg
Old 18th July 2016, 14:09   #56
BHPian

The problem in in India is the absence of a consistent policy. These blanket bans have sadly become quite common and decisions that are to be made by elected officials are sadly being belted out by the judiciary. We car owners must watch in horror as our well maintained diesel cars have their value eroded due to this ban. I could never support these blanket bans. Vehicles should be banned based on their road worthiness and emissions should be the criteria not engine size or age. It's sad to think that 7 or 8 year old well maintained diesel cars will be almost worthless now in the used car market.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:14   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
I could never support these blanket bans. Vehicles should be banned based on their road worthiness and emissions should be the criteria not engine size or age. It's sad to think that 7 or 8 year old well maintained diesel cars will be almost worthless now in the used car market.
completely agree.. we are taken for a ride here!
Off the topic, I had a ride in one of few 1970s VW convertible, (diesel) still allowed to ply on roads in Germany.

Its all about ecology and emissions and restrictions should ideally look at emissions and not age. Blanket bans is irritating to the core, to the extent that I am thinking are there any brains with those policy makers and judges? Policies should aid people, strive to bring harmony and quality of life to people and not create chaos and disharmony.
Old 24th July 2016, 01:38   #58
BHPian

The problem is one of compliance and poor implementation of rules and laws. Why should so many cars/trucks with smoking exhausts be allowed on the road when there is a requirement of complying with the pollution norms? As mentioned by others there is a constant knee jerk to knee jerk reaction. Administration does not work effectively so judges become activists. They are ill equipped to deal with technical issues.
Old 24th July 2016, 05:52   #59
BHPian

These blankets ban are very bad for the country and the people.Toyota and Honda will not introduce fresh investments in India,other automobile companies will loose confidence to invest in India and people will have to think a lot before buying a new diesel car.The existing companies will find a solution to this by introducing 1999cc engines which will lead to less pollution than 2000cc vehicles.. Government should have made compulsory pollution testing of vehicles every 6 months rather than the 10 year rule.
Old 24th July 2016, 07:18   #60

Seems Judiciary (i.e. SC and NGT) looking at options implementable through our Law Enforcement Agencies -- keeping in mind efficiency and level of corruption. Therefore they are not considering -- real time level of emission by individual cars. Hence blanket bans.

Most Viewed