Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2016, 23:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz crosses 1 lakh sales milestone in less than 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
Would it be possible for any member to break that number into two categories viz petrol and diesel?
Till May-end 2016:

Diesel = 54,152 units,
Petrol = 43,320 units.

Numbers in June 2016 = 2,800 units. No breakup available of those.

Total = 1,00,272 units.

Autocar Professional
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 23:34   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Till May-end 2016:

Diesel = 54,152 units,
Petrol = 43,320 units.
That's actually a lot more than I expected for the petrol variant. I was expecting atleast 70% of the sales to be from the diesel variants!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 07:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Ciaz is a perfect example of what a Maruti is. A perfect no-nonsense car. With good features and a nice cabin (in terms of both space and equipement), the car really shows how much Suzuki has matured.

Performance is certainly not the selling point for the Ciaz, peace of mind and FE which are synonymous with the MS badge are the highlights. That is good enough for over three-quarters of the buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That's actually a lot more than I expected for the petrol variant. I was expecting atleast 70% of the sales to be from the diesel variants!
There are many ciaz ATs which contribute to the number of petrol variants. Maruti has really been advertising heavily for the automatic.

Also, City automatic is more expensive compared to the Ciaz automatic.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 8th July 2016 at 07:40.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 08:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Till May-end 2016:

Diesel = 54,152 units,
Petrol = 43,320 units.

Numbers in June 2016 = 2,800 units. No breakup available of those.

Total = 1,00,272 units.

Autocar Professional
Thank you very much for the details. When people talk of Ciaz, they always talk of SHVS. I am, frankly, surprised the number of petrol Ciaz sold. Was expecting it to be around one fourth.
2800 in June much fewer than what it sold in previous months. Due to City?
Waiting for June Car Sales Report and Analysis.
amitjha086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 08:50   #20
BHPian

Great achievement by Maruti. Ciaz is indeed worth the money.

When I was in the market for a C2 sedan, the only reason Ciaz was left out was the 1.4 Petrol engine. Because, the competitors' motors were superior. But if I would have been looking for a diesel, then the 1.3 with SVHS would have made a very strong case. And the added discounts for the 'hybrid' which mean in Delhi, the petrol and diesel variants are priced almost equivalent, is almost a scene from the life in Utopia.

Having said that, it definitely a car I would recommend to my dad when he decides to change his current ride (probably next year). The rear seat comfort and space is phenomenal. Massive boot and good presence. It strongly makes the statement - I have arrived. The Maruti reach is unparalleled. And the car is loaded with features and technology. For me, it is THE BEST car to be chauffeured in.
drive2eternity is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 09:13   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

We bought two Ciaz ZXi AT variants in Dec 2014 for our company to replace the long standing Honda City legacy. The first generation and second generation Honda City were used for a decade each. I am sure the Ciaz will last us as long but with a lot more grace.

We haven't bought a Maruti car in nearly two decades. The last one was the Zen. The Ciaz was too good a product to resist and brought our loyalty back to the brand. I often ditch my German cars and take the Ciaz to meetings just to enjoy the back seat and low profile image. Nearly everytime I sit in it, I say to my self "What a great car". I'm also very impressed with its build quality. Not a single rattle yet.

Last edited by Sahil : 8th July 2016 at 09:18.
Sahil is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 10:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We've got a treat coming up for you guys. Maruti took Moderator FlyingSpur on a factory tour to show how the Ciaz is built. Expect the report to be up later in July.
That's some great news.

There have been a lot of speculations over the manner in which the Ciaz was built, especially considering the feather light weight of mere 1010 Kg’s (Petrol version) and 1105 Kg’s (for Diesel). Hope this report would clear the clouds of doubt that comes automatically with such a sedan, which stands the longest and widest in its class (Of course after discounting the slightly longer Linea), but still remains the lightest.

Me for sure will be waiting eagerly for this report.
Old 8th July 2016, 10:59   #23

55:45 ratio between Diesel-Petrol engine is not very shocking to me IMO.
I own a Ciaz ZXI AT and chose this variant for 2 very important reasons:
1) Petrol loyalist
2) Automatic loyalist

I know few people who will stick to petrol no matter at what price diesel is being offered or regardless of the fact that petrol is less enthusiastic than diesel. "Once a Petrol, Always a Petrol" will be their mantra always despite narrowing gap between petrol and diesel engine performance.

Automatic cars are on the rise and with today's cutting edge technology, FE of an automatic car can give tough competition to FE of a manual one. My AT is presently giving me FE of 14-15 (Brought 3 months back, 70% city drive, 95% AC), enough to beat FE of my friend's 2 years old Swift manual which is giving FE of 12-13 (similar driving conditions).

AT loyalist might consider Diesel if MSIL intends to launch Diesel AT in near future. As it is, Diesel Ciaz is enjoying good sales because of its tax incentives and SHVS engine. Adding automatic will only expand its customer base.
romydeora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 11:34   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Well the Honda City crossed the same milestone in less than 15 months and that's not even 1.5 years! Just shows how much catch-up Maruti has to do!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46823094.cms
How Maruti managed to squeeze sales from Honda and Hyundai to create some space for its own -

Starting with 2016, they have really managed to compete neck to neck with the Honda which is a huge accomplishment in itself.

Maruti Ciaz crosses 1 lakh sales milestone in less than 2 years-ciaz_sales.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th July 2016 at 11:36.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 11:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romydeora View Post
I know few people who will stick to petrol no matter at what price diesel is being offered or regardless of the fact that petrol is less enthusiastic than diesel. "Once a Petrol, Always a Petrol" will be their mantra always despite narrowing gap between petrol and diesel engine performance.
Though I have always driven Petrol throughout in last 13 years of car ownership, I was not averse to buying Diesel car this time.
Only point that kept me away was, it absolutely didn't make any economic sense spending a lakh+ more on Diesel car.
Old 8th July 2016, 17:19   #26
BHPian

Given that Ciaz is being sold through normal Maruti dealerships and not Nexa, this has further helped in increasing the numbers faster for Ciaz.
Old 9th July 2016, 02:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Have witnessed myself during our regular drives with 3 different cars sporting the same engine under the hood where the Ciaz is way quicker to the rest.
You're comparing the Ciaz, Linea and Ertiga right?

Aerodynamics play a part here. The Ciaz has a very low co-efficient of drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
Given that Ciaz is being sold through normal Maruti dealerships and not Nexa, this has further helped in increasing the numbers faster for Ciaz.
How does selling through Nexa or regular dealerships matter? The Baleno has been clocking 5 figure sales even though it's sold via a Nexa dealer network, which has a limited outreach.
Old 10th July 2016, 12:58   #28
BHPian

I spoke recently to one of my friends, who uses a chauffer driven car, why he bought the CIAZ. He answered that Maruti is reliable and gives good service as well as the ubiquitous nature of their service centres. I suspect bulk of people would buy it for the very reasons given above. Honda on the contrary sells their City as a performance sedan catering to those who like driving. This is obvious from the first model which was found by most people to be without any of the normal offerings of a premium sedan - climate control, rear camera etc. They (Honda) felt that the enthusiastic middle aged drivers wouldn't complain. However, we Indians are very conscious of value for money and 'km/litre'. Maruti sells a lot on the back of this proposition.
Old 10th July 2016, 18:28   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Calling Honda City Idtec a performance sedan is a joke. Agreed, the Ivtec is a gem. City is better than the ciaz in two aspects - 1. Better seats 2. The cult following. When you compare city and ciaz in NVH, reliability, service costs, fuel efficiency, features, tyres, cost and presence, the Ciaz is better. Even the performance of ciaz and city are identical, while city has a better low end, while ciaz has a better top end performance.

Is city a good car? Hell yes!
Is it better than the ciaz to command a 1.5 lakh premium? Hell no!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 07:37   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
You're comparing the Ciaz, Linea and Ertiga right?
Yes indeed.
Quote:
Aerodynamics play a part here. The Ciaz has a very low co-efficient of drag.
Right said and I am well aware of that aspect too as Ertiga's design doesn't really cut through the air like the Linea or the Ciaz do.

However, I should have been more explicit to mention that the top speed as recorded multiple times by GPS is at par with other Diesel Sedans in the segment and that really surprised us.

Of course, I would not mention the number here.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks