Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 08:36   #106
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Linea 125 S with 123 BHP launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Fiats may be great to drive, but they are old school technology in a fast changing world and are not any safer than the new crop of cars.

So at the end of the day the responsibility falls on the customer to decide whats important.

I think we are digressing here, but we need not look anywhere else than the Team-BHP accidents thread to know about Fiats safety. I've known a good friend who has been involved in a severe high speed crash in a fiat and has come out with just a scratch.

Unless we get crash test results of made in India cars, we can unfortunately only base our opinions on accidents that have happened.

100% agree with you on the fact that it's ultimately the buyers choice to prioritise what he wants.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 11:40   #107
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea 125 S with 123 BHP launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz_303 View Post
Right.

I booked mine for 10.8. I could additionally get the zero dep insurance and camera (+ plus mats and mud flaps). Could not get the price down further.
Congrats!! Enjoy the beast. When is the delivery expected? Do post pics and buying experience.
nikhil0405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 21:39   #108
BHPian

Bought the Linea 125S.

You were one of the people who helped me make my mind up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
baz_303 - Congrats for the purchase of Linea. Which model did you buy?
@nikhil0405

The delivery is in the 1st week of Aug'16. I have a pretty long ownership experience waiting in the assembly line. It details how I ended up booking this unlikely car! Will come out with it once I have taken the delivery.

Regards
baz_303 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 11:38   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I really don't know why people get into a tizzy and try to protect a particular brand like its the end of the world. All cars have pros and cons, just enjoy yours for what it is, and don't let what others think get to you. It's only a bloody opinion for God's sake !!!
Quote:
Unfortunately, with tighter emission standards, craze for better mileage, lust for more features, etc. the only way is to cut weight is to trim the metal and get rid of stuff like insulation which reduces the feeling of sitting in a tin can. along with thicker metal Manufacturers have no choice if as you aptly put, "The common Indian man/woman can't afford".
Your point about the Alto and Kwid is valid, but manufacturers will use whatever loopholes our laws provide (ours are worse than swiss cheese) to make the most affordable car for the mass market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
+100.
That comment is nothing more than a fanboy rant.
Honda's IVTEC is not turbocharged, yet it gives TJet a run for its money in outright acceleration. Its a different story though to drive both the cars.
Plus Vento's TSI is a beautiful engine and the combination of the sweet engine and superfast DSG is just what you would want it to be.
Whatever he has written about space is utter rubbish too. Linea may be the longest from outside in its class. Its a different story inside.
Fiat has messed a lot of things in Linea and sad part is even after this many years Fiat has not bothered to change things that could truly make it special.
Here is my response to you http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4022089

Quote:
The idea is to crumple like aluminium foil when you have an accident. It's called crumple zone for a reason, and that's what gradually absorbs the energy from a crash and prevents you from flying through a window.
This is stupid. It is the seat belts that will keep you in position in case of an accident. NOT the crumple zones. And yes, crumple zones have a role but strictly outside the passenger shell. How can you expect the humans to come out alive if the passenger shell acts as a crumple zone?? I think that is what exactly happens with these feather light cars (which you claim to use the most advanced technologies to reduce weight) when they meet with an accident. And you won't even need to call up a pickup truck after the accident, you can easily collect the debris in a couple of baskets. Excellence of technological advancements!!!

Quote:
Fiats may be great to drive, but they are old school technology in a fast changing world and are not any safer than the new crop of cars.
Have a look at Fiat USA's lineup. And tell me if you still want to claim Fiat is old school and not up to the fast changing world.
Wondering why they do not offer such a lineup in India?!! Food for thought.

Last edited by vpillai : 27th July 2016 at 11:54. Reason: .
vpillai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 11:59   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Here is my response to you http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4022089

This is stupid. It is the seat belts that will keep you in position in case of an accident. NOT the crumble zones. And yes, crumble zones have a role but strictly outside the passenger shell. How can you expect the humans to come out alive if the passenger shell acts as a crumble zone?? I think that is what exactly happens with these feather light cars (which you claim to use the most advanced technologies to reduce weight) when they meet with an accident. And you won't even need to call up a pickup truck after the accident, you can easily collect the debris in a couple of baskets. Excellence of technological advancements!!!

Have a look at Fiat USA's lineup. And tell me if you still want to claim Fiat is old school and not up to the fast changing world.
Wondering why they do not offer such a lineup in India?!! Food for thought.
I don't want to get into an argument with you so I suggest you read this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumple_zone

Regarding the Fiat lineup in the US, it may be the 'latest' technology (The platform is shared with GM), but go see the base price of the cheapest model, and work out if it will sell in India.

Have a nice day.
keroo1099 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 12:14   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is my response to you
Lol What was that?

Any ways since you are harping so much on the superior safety standards of Linea, please do us a favor by directing us to any crash tests that were done on any Fiats on sale in India. In the absence of any such conclusive evidence it is to be assumed that the Linea that you drive is just as safe/or unsafe as the next Honda City. Equating the sheet metal thickness with crash worthiness is IMO Naive.

I drive a Fiat Punto. Given a chance, I will again buy a Fiat. But that does not mean it is the best car out there. It just is the best for me. Thats it.

By going on defending your favourite car, you are just bordering on Fanboyism.

You can 'feel' more safe in certain cars, does not mean you are actually any more. Linea is certainly not fastest by a great margin. Neither is it the most spacious. Not the most advanced motor either. Yes it is cheaper than most and is better than the competetors in certain areas but at the same time very much behind in certain. If you do not see that, then well good for you.
vibbs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 12:15   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz_303 View Post
Right.

I booked mine for 10.8. I could additionally get the zero dep insurance and camera (+ plus mats and mud flaps). Could not get the price down further.
Many congratulations Baz, cant wait to see pics of this monster once you get delivery. What colour did you go for?
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 12:41   #113
BHPian

Thank You!

I opted for Minimal Grey ( wife's choice of course!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
Many congratulations Baz, cant wait to see pics of this monster once you get delivery. What colour did you go for?
Old 27th July 2016, 13:12   #114
BHPian

Quote:
And then there are manufactures like Fiat who stick to their ethics (even in a country which does not have strong regulations) due to the concern of human safety
Come on!
If FIAT really has so much concern for human safety (or safety of Indians) like you say, we would have seen airbags, ABS, rear wiper, driver seat height adjustment, seat belt for middle passenger in rear seat etc. standard on all variants like they do in Europe. Heck, we would have seen 6 airbags, TC, telescopic steering etc. at least as an option in the top variants of Linea/Punto.

Yes, FIAT is much better than Hyundai and Maruti, but I would place them below VW and Toyota who offer 2 airbags as standard and whose cars have stable structures as well. The light Toyota Etios helps shedding the myth about heavy build = safer. As long as the weight shedding is done on external panels like doors and not in the structure, the car should be safe enough. A car does not need vault like doors to be safe.

FIAT should have given standard dual airbags and ABS at least from the base variant instead of screaming 'built like a tank'.

More than anything, looking at the way FIAT operates in India, I would say it is their laziness in re-engineering and retesting the products which has prompted them to give the European build in India, not due to concerns for Indian lives.

They have taken out all the easy stuff like middle passenger seat belt, rear wash, wiper, defogger, telescopic steering, side and curtain airbags(which were available in European Punto in 2005) from the Indian versions and provide no airbags in base and mid variants in 2016! How much they value Indian lives - you decide!

PS: As much as I love Punto/Linea and Linea T-Jet/Abarth Punto being my most favourite products in the respective segments, I wouldn't defend the products blindly.

Coming to that post on Motorbeam, it is nothing more than a rant of a rabid fanboy.
VWs in India may not have the sporty suspension of a Euro spec one, but it doesn't make it a bad product. It may not appeal much to an enthusiast, but it appeals to 95% of the people in the country and that is where they have got it right.

Last edited by theredliner : 27th July 2016 at 13:16.
theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 13:15   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You will have to shell out almost 3L extra for the top of the line variants of Verna(13.3L) and Vento(12.72L) than the Linea 125s(10.10L). May be, if you are ready to pay that extra money Fiat could give you better quality of materials and fit and finish in the interior.
No one is buying one because of the 10.10L price. The very few people who still buy do so only for the steering, performance and dynamics. Those people would still go ahead and buy it at 13.3L IF they provide it with enough value of the price.

Have to appreciate Volkswagen for the way they updated the Polo and Vento over the years to keep up with competition. When your sole target market is enthusiasts rather than the mass market, thats the way to go! There is no single enthusiast around who would squirm at seeing a good quality interior loaded with features, along with the other well known features they already offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Yes, FIAT is much better than Hyundai and Maruti, but I would place them below VW and Toyota
Let's not rank vehicles as per our own perceptions. As things stand now, VW and Toyota choices are tested safe options. Others (in the segment) are not tested. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
FIAT should have given standard dual airbags and ABS at least from the base variant.
Very valid point.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th July 2016 at 13:20.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 09:02   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hankook Ventus Evo V12, a summer performance tyre so should be more vocal than the stock all season tyres, but is not.
For how long have you had these tires? The time is coming up for me to swap tires.

How about side wall strength and flex? If there is one thing I don't want, its side wall flex. Makes quite a difference to the handling.

Comments on tire noise though you have sort of answered that in your 125s drive report.
Old 26th August 2016, 09:07   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
For how long have you had these tires? The time is coming up for me to swap tires.

How about side wall strength and flex? If there is one thing I don't want, its side wall flex. Makes quite a difference to the handling.

Comments on tire noise though you have sort of answered that in your 125s drive report.
Why don't you just come over and try it out on my car and see if you like it. I tend play around a bit with tyre pressure, and it a couple of lb lower than stock for city use.

Had them for 2 1/2 years.
Old 26th August 2016, 09:50   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you just come over and try it out on my car and see if you like it. I tend play around a bit with tyre pressure, and it a couple of lb lower than stock for city use.
I can, trouble is, we'll have to venture out on the highway just to understand this. I trust your views so whatever you say, is what it is. Where are you put up?

I maintain 30-32 (Rear, Front) with the stock Good Years. They are super noisy now due to age (55 months). Tire noise is there from the word go. Almost impossible to have a conversation in the car past the ton.

Two and a half years is long enough to assess a tire. If you say this tire works well for a Linea, I believe you. Is the tire specification stock, that is, 205 55/R16?
Old 26th August 2016, 10:08   #119
BHPian

Old Madras road towards Kolar is a good place for a trial, I live close to Bagmane Tech Park.

With the psi at stock 36/33, I don't find much flex at 100-120, but it is 'squishier' than the 15" apollos I had on my old Baleno. It is certainly much quieter than the stock tyre, and you can have a normal conversation even at 120.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 13:44   #120
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes I think Fiat should just re-brand itself in India as Chrysler and start with a clean slate. The Indian consumer's mind is full of wrong opinions due to the earlier experience of the premier padminis and then the palios and siennas. I mean, why not try that? Having the fiat moniker is not a huge advantage in India anyway. With Chrysler they have the chance to try something at least new. Yeah you sort of exit a legacy that was built, but the legacy isn't doing the company any favours right now anyway.

Most Viewed