Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2016, 17:04   #46
BHPian

re: Fiat Linea T-Jet with 123 BHP launched; starts at INR 7.82 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
Well, whether you choose senior citizens or young boys, it is totally your choice.
Absolutely agree with this.

Quote:
But if you have missed to take notice of the intent in my post, then let me clear it.
I don't think so, see below.

Quote:
My statement was not a direct comparison of LINEA/ PUNTO with other new cars like Honda city or Vento or Ciaz etc., but the marketing strategy adopted by FIAT vis-a-vis other established players. All manufactures be it Maruti, Hyundai, Honda, Ford, Renault and et al have been refreshing their product line ups at regular intervals of say 2 years. They either add new products in their portfolio and/or refresh their existing better doing products vehicles substantially. Verna, Honda City, Accord, Innova, Swift, all have undergone substantial transformation during their lifetime whilst Ciaz, Baleno, Brezza, Elite I20, I20, I10, Grand I10, Xcent, Ecosport, Figo, Aspire, Jazz, Mobilio, BR-V, Amaze, Brio, Kwid, Fluence, Lodgy, Rapid, Laura, Terrano, etc., all these were added by their respective manufacturers during the same period i.e., time since FIAT re-entered into the Indian Market.
If you do a little research you will find that Fiat hasn't really refreshed/added any significant products since 2011 world over for a start. From 2001-2009 they launched 24 refreshes/new products. This dropped to a lowly 13 consisting of mainly refreshes for the period 2011-to present, of which I can only see the Panda (2011 launch) or the Aegea/Tipo which might sell in India. The relatively new 500 series will be too expensive, So expecting Fiat to build an India/Brazil specific car just to keep its products fresh every 4 years ain't happening. They just don't have the funds for new products and that's why FCA had to sell 10% stake in their cash cow Ferrari to fund its other products (Jeep, Chrysler, Maserati, Alfa).

Quote:
FIAT on the other hand have been sticking around with LINEA and PUNTO since 2007 and 2009 respectively. Plans to launch, Bravo, Panda, etc were shelved while the Palio was phased out in the mean time and even as the FIAT 500 was rejected outright by buyers. It is not that they have limited offerings in their arsenal, in fact they have much better products doing rounds globally. Just take TIPO as an example. It is just their unwillingness to bring superior products over here.
I assume you are talking about the new Tipo, because the earlier one was launched in 1988. They might bring the new one, but like the Linea only about a year after international launch.

Quote:
All in all, it seems FIAT will continue experimenting with the LINEA and PUNTO till eternity, and still find a few takers to its “Senior Citizens”, who buy them under one context or the other.
They have to, they have no products in their relatively new portfolio that will suit the Indian market. Hey, and I for one love the saying 'Old is Gold'.

Have a nice weekend.
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 17:30   #47
BHPian

Sorry for back to back posts, but this is a list of all Fiat's currently in production. It is a really really old and small portfolio, except for the 500 range.

http://www.autoevolution.com/fiat/?sort=year
Old 8th July 2016, 18:38   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which Maruti is that? I seems to have missed this news!

Hope you are not talking about the S Cross 1.3 and 1.6 diesels here in comparison to the petrol 125 being discussed here.
I know that the maruti stuff is in in Diesels.

But still what changes, Linea is still 90 HP in diesel! All I say is GROW UP FIAT
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 20:29   #49
BHPian

As a person looking to buy the T-JET, this news excites me.

The news is authentic. Screen grab from the Fiat India website. I guess prices but updated yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea 125 S with 123 BHP launched-screenshot_20160708202121.png  

baz_303 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 20:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Complete summary of Fiat's 2016 Lineup:
Linea:
-1.4 T jet active and dynamic with 114 PS discontinued
Present variants
-1.4 FIRE active
-1.4 125 PS T jet Emotion (ABS/dual airbags/rear discs)
-1.3 multijet diesel VGT active
-1.3 multijet diesel VGT dynamic (ABS/dual airbags)
-1,3 multijet diesel VGT emotion (ABS/dual airbags)
-all these variants get 5" touchscreen with navigation, USB, AUX and SD card as standard
-shades: Bronzo Tan, silver, white, black, magnesio grey

http://www.fiat-india.com/brochures/...eaBrochure.pdf
sidindica is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 21:05   #51
BHPian

I have a distant relative/brother who owns a Fiat dealership and we were having a conversation about the Fiat's inability to convert its full potential to sales.
He told that there's a huge(donald trump huuge) incompetence at the higher level in the hierarchy, who make strategic decisions about the product portfolio. Moreover, he also told that there is a confused mindset over the Jeep launches as well. In one word, he was 'frustrated'
This conversation took place a year ago, so its possible that things might have changed for now.
But anyway, Fiat should make changes in its fundamental decision making instead of coming up with expedient solutions.
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 21:24   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Present variants
-1.4 FIRE active
-1.4 125 PS T jet Emotion (ABS/dual airbags/rear discs)
Now thats confusing. So which variant is priced at 7.82L?

Hope they didn't make the blunder of announcing the price for 1.4 FIRE active variant instead of announcing the price for 125ps emotion!
Old 8th July 2016, 22:47   #53
BHPian

Uploading 125s brochure to give rest to the speculation going on, now waiting for variatwise prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea 125 S with 123 BHP launched-img20160708wa0067.jpg  

Fiat Linea 125 S with 123 BHP launched-img20160708wa0066.jpg  

Fiat Linea 125 S with 123 BHP launched-img20160708wa0065.jpg  

Fiat Linea 125 S with 123 BHP launched-img20160708wa0068.jpg  

Last edited by autohead : 8th July 2016 at 23:08. Reason: Spelling correction
autohead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 22:54   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
I know that the maruti stuff is in in Diesels.

But still what changes, Linea is still 90 HP in diesel! All I say is GROW UP FIAT
Wrong comparison (Even though I agree that Linea deserves a better diesel). The competitor to Linea is Ciaz, which uses the same diesel with a couple of horses and 9 Nm less.
The petrol engines are just not comparable at all, 91 HP/130 Nm vs 125 PS/208 Nm.

PS On topic: The Linea really deserved the 140 HP engine. The only reason why they'd have skipped it would be to avoid the import duties. This 125 is in all probability, the locally manufactured 113 HP one in a different state of tune.

PPS The brochure above shows that the T-Jet's torque band has grown wider (From 207 Nm @ 2200 --> 208 Nm @ 2000-3500). The pull in higher revs which was the T-Jet's achilles heel should be a bit better now. The <2000 RPM pull should be a bit better too.

Also, it is a stupid decision to stop the lower variants of T-Jet.

Last edited by theredliner : 8th July 2016 at 23:18.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 00:38   #55
BHPian

As an owner of the 2009 Linea with the 1.4 non T Jet engine - I must say the car has aged rather well. It is a work horse. I got rid of my 2008 Swift recently - and there is simply no comparison to how they've aged - the Swift rattled from every nook and cranny - touchwood, the Linea is screwed together like a Tank. I guess Fiat in India now sees itself as an engine manufacturer/supplier who also happens to make cars rather than the other way around. It is a colossal shame really - because their A.S.S while not great was still not as horrendous as Skoda. And the steering feedback is superior to pretty much any car in its segment.

But they've never been able to revive their brand name. This end-life addition of a few bells and whistles is not going to give them even a marginal bump. This is a bit like offering a band-aid to a guy who needs a blood transfusion.
invidious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 00:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Believe it guys! This is no prank. Here you go- some more credible sources reporting the same.
Fine, I believe and I stand corrected. However, I am not able to understand how this can be priced below the current active variant. Too confusing.

Per their website (there is no mention of this new model there though), Linea Active variant has 3 engine options ---
1) 1.4L FIRE engine & ex-showroom price at Delhi is Rs.722,920/-
2) 1.4L Tjet & ex-showroom price at Delhi is Rs.837,754/-
4) 1.3 MJD & ex-showroom price at Delhi is Rs.894,285/-

Now, if the new variant is launched at 7.82 L, why should one go for the old ACTIVE 1.4L TJET version?

I might be missing some valid points and that might be the confusion. If someone who knows better on this can clarify, it will be really helpful.
Jakku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 05:55   #57
BANNED

It isn't a coincidence anymore that FIAT and FLOP are both four letter words. They were, are and will always be the reigning champion of flops.

Instead of this half baked stuff, the Aegea with the 1.6 Diesel in the S Cross may have worked. It has the power, runs on diesel and would have been a good competitor to the likes of the Vento and Rapid.

You can't be sure though, because: IF IT'S A FIAT IT WILL BE A FLOP.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 9th July 2016 at 05:57.
Old 9th July 2016, 06:28   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
It isn't a coincidence anymore that FIAT and FLOP are both four letter words. They were, are and will always be the reigning champion of flops.

Instead of this half baked stuff, the Aegea with the 1.6 Diesel in the S Cross may have worked. It has the power, runs on diesel and would have been a good competitor to the likes of the Vento and Rapid.

You can't be sure though, because: IF IT'S A FIAT IT WILL BE A FLOP.
HOPE is also a 4 letter word, and I hope it does manage to get its act together, because it would be a pity to loose them..again.
keroo1099 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 06:55   #59
BHPian

I am not sure what is Fiat upto. I owned a Linea MJD for 3 yrs, did 60k km. I was all the time searching for that elusive smile a Fiat is supposed to put on your face!! I had owned an Ikon 1.6 and a Figo Tdci before and trust me I didn't feel Linea was as good as either of them in the handling department. Also, it is the longest in the class no doubt. But everytime I had a third passenger in the car, I used to wonder where did all that length go because space inside is not all that great. I tried convincing myself that this ought to be a "great" car but just couldn't any more. Surprisingly, for me the service centre experience was quite pleasant and it was the product that didn't deliver. So, in my personal opinon, Fiat needs some new age products rather than just relaunching the decade old products in some senseless variants.
octane_100 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 19:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet with 123 BHP launched; starts at INR 7.82 lakh

With the Abarth Punto, I thought Fiat is finally ready to start a new innings in India and when I was looking for a dealership to test the car, there was none in my vicinity (Navi Mumbai) and then to my disma,y I found that there were hardly any service centers present in a major city like Mumbai/Navi Mumbai. Stil,l I thought that with the new 1.6 MJD in the S-Cross, Fiat will launch some exciting new cars with this engine. But what does Fiat give us, an aging old car that no one wanted to buy a few years back and I wonder why they think anyone will be willing to buy it now. I wonder how Fiat HQ even allows such decisions to be executed here.

I remember when GM was down around 2008-2009, they started the 3 year complete maintenance plus warranty package for most of their cars and it actually worked, for sometime at least, till GM started making India a dumping ground for cheap Chinese products.

Fiat needs to do something similar and drastic to remain a contender in India. Instead of launching same old cars that no one wants, let them have a service network in place and open some dealerships and back their products with some innovative and attractive schemes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks