Team-BHP - Fiat Linea 125 S with 123 BHP launched
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Fiat Linea 125 S with 123 BHP launched (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/177893-fiat-linea-125-s-123-bhp-launched.html)

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles India (FCA) today rolled out the Fiat Linea 125 S. As the name indicates, the new version of Fiat’s mid-size sedan is now significantly more powerful with 125 PS on tap. This ‘power-up’ makes it the most powerful sedan in its segment. Other new features include a 5-inch multi-functional touch-screen infotainment system with navigation, soft-touch IP with ambient lighting, rear sun curtain, disc brakes on all four wheels and dual stage driver airbags. The Fiat Linea 125 S is also the longest sedan in its segment with a length of 4596 mm, has the best-in-segment ground clearance of 190 mm and a 500-litre boot.

The Fiat Linea range starts at INR 7.82 lakh (ex-showroom, New Delhi). The Italian sedan also offers 16-inch signature alloy wheels, rain sensing smart wipers, auto headlamps, single-touch power windows and cruise control. Across all products, FCA India offers a warranty of 3 years/100,000 km comprehensive warranty with service intervals of 15,000 km.

Mr. Kevin Flynn, President and Managing Director, FCA India said,
Quote:

FIAT cars are known for their performance and by adding more horsepower to our model range we are only living up to our brand promise ‘Crafted for Car Lovers’. Besides that we do make great-looking cars.Though our strengths are performance and visual aesthetics, we do recognise the necessity of fuel efficiency, and our engines have been tuned to uncompromisingly deliver on that front. Over the years our cars have transformed customers into enthusiasts and that is because we build products that make their commute more delightful and safe instead of one that is merely functional.”
Source: Ayan Ghosh - Motoroids

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjacob (Post 4010929)
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles India (FCA) today rolled out the Fiat Linea 125 S. As the name indicates, the new version of Fiat’s mid-size sedan is now significantly more powerful with 125 PS on tap.[/url]

Adding 12 PS and calling it significantly more powerful? Ridiculous to say the least. They could have plonked the 140 HP version doing duty in the Avventura, that would have been a worthy upgrade. In this case, addition of infotainment system with navigation as default is the only notable change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrishnap (Post 4010943)

Adding 12 PS and calling it significantly more powerful? Ridiculous to say the least.

Couldn't agree more with you nkrishnap.

For a moment I was completely elated that Linea was now being offered in 125 PS Multijet engine because I read this thread soon after reading the Punto Evo 'Powertech' thread. :Frustrati

Sorry if I missed this, but I don't see the torque rating mentioned anywhere. So I am presuming it stays at ~209 NM. So a Linea T-jet now gets 125 PS and FCA claims it to be the most powerful sedan in its class??

I thought Verna 1.6 VTVT had about 126 PS (at least on papers) and even by just numbers, was more powerful :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vik0728 (Post 4010975)
Couldn't agree more with you nkrishnap.

For a moment I was completely elated that Linea was now being offered in 125 PS Multijet engine because I read this thread soon after reading the Punto Evo 'Powertech' thread. :Frustrati

Sorry if I missed this, but I don't see the torque rating mentioned anywhere. So I am presuming it stays at ~209 NM. So a Linea T-jet now gets 125 PS and FCA claims it to be the most powerful sedan in its class??

I thought Verna 1.6 VTVT had about 126 PS (at least on papers) and even by just numbers, was more powerful :eek:

And how many powerful Punto Abarth do we see on the road? Trust me, I have seen just one, here in Bangalore. With petrol being premium still, 'Kilometer Per Liter' still has its say and on a sedan which is quite heavy, it just doesn't make a cut. Not atleast for a person who is in the market with a limited budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinair (Post 4010979)

And how many powerful Punto Abarth do we see on the road? Trust me, I have seen just one, here in Bangalore.

I am sure vinair you agree with me when I say that there are at least 5 GT TSi in Bangalore for every (if any) Abarth that you spot.

Ever wondered why people are buying a less powerful, almost as premium and yet an engine that also uses premium fuel??

Convenience called AT (DSG) my friend. clap:

Market has shifted slowly and steadily towards the comfort of drive, even if that means loosing out a tiny bit on performance.

So coming back to this thread, MAY BE FCA should have considered an AT box if they really were keen on refreshing the Linea with few more horses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinair (Post 4010979)
And how many powerful Punto Abarth do we see on the road?

Will Linea 125S sell much more than the 140hp would have, or the earlier TJet could have? No. Even this will flop, but atleast the effort would have looked more convincing. When you're upgrading a slow seller, give your best shot and not leave it half done. I guess FIAT only wanted to claim the "best in class" power tagline and not more.

Like they say, anyways you are sure to lose the war, so atleast go down fighting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vik0728 (Post 4010984)
I am sure vinair you agree with me when I say that there are at least 5 GT TSi in Bangalore for every (if any) Abarth that you spot.

Convenience called AT (DSG) my friend. clap:

Even AT wouldn't have helped in this case IMO. Any more significant product upgrades on the Linea is just a waste of time. What they need is the Aegea with a powerful motor, AT option and good diesel option. Nothing else can help them at this stage.

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Fiat is just flogging a dead horse here and Mr. Flynn is just wasting his time in all this. If Fiat really want to sell cars in India, they should come out with proper replacements for Punto and Linea both of which hopefully will have better sorted gearboxes and few kgs less.

Oh yeah being the longest car in the segment does not help. What helps is that outside size gets converted to internal space too.

Hope they check these threads here. But then, it is Fiat India! Is it not?

Consider the fact they're offering something as powerful as Corolla Altis at 9L OTR Bangalore.

It's got a brilliant design that's probably the safest on its category.

They've to build confidence in their product. If someone from FIAT is reading this, here's my (universal) suggestion : A 5 year 2L km warranty & maybe an AMC.

Maybe the growth will be marginal, but it'll show their confidence in the product.

Dunno why it takes eons for businesses to understand & re-strategize as per market realities. Just shows their lack of insightfulness & understanding of the consumer sentiment.

Hopefully this is a sign they've woken up & started thinking.

They've enough money to operate, but with current numbers their dealers will find it unviable. Current owners like me are not sure if they'll exist 5 years down the line.

Rest said, only a miracle can make FIAT grow exponentially.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4010994)
Will Linea 125S sell much more than the 140hp would have, or the earlier TJet could have? No. Even this will flop, but atleast the effort would have looked more convincing. When you're upgrading a slow seller, give your best shot and not leave it half done. I guess FIAT only wanted to claim the "best in class" power tagline and not more.

Like they say, anyways you are sure to lose the war, so atleast go down fighting.

Even AT wouldn't have helped in this case IMO. Any more significant product upgrades on the Linea is just a waste of time. What they need is the Aegea with a powerful motor, AT option and good diesel option. Nothing else can help them at this stage.

Full fledged attempt would have been better. But the problem is elsewhere. The Fiat Twins are not even on the shopping list, thanks to their past baggage. No matter what the ground reality is, folks will stay aware fearing troubles with spares. I am certainly not telling all is well, but it is not bad as it is made out to be. The product though good is already 8 years old, so no point flogging this with updates. But they need to buy time until they can get Aagea into the market here which is quite new as a platform and would do well if they can get in by the year end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vibbs (Post 4011043)
Fiat is just flogging a dead horse here and Mr. Flynn is just wasting his time in all this. If Fiat really want to sell cars in India, they should come out with proper replacements for Punto and Linea both of which hopefully will have better sorted gearboxes and few kgs less.

Oh yeah being the longest car in the segment does not help. What helps is that outside size gets converted to internal space too.

Hope they check these threads here. But then, it is Fiat India! Is it not?

Only thing I can think of these upgrades are to buy some more time (which is already long by current standards) to introduce the Jeep and the new platform cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4010994)

Yep, had Aegea or Aegea hatchback arrived in India today I would have no doubts on their success, I personally would've taken a keen look at them but that having said that they will differ from the current 2005 designed Linea/Punto in the following ways :

1) EPS.. Yep Fiat has jumped onto the bandwagon big time. I don't care how many drivers praise a VW or Ford's EPS steering, to me they feel like they've been injected with 1 litre of novocaine. By nature they are an inferior design to HPS and Fiat has adopted it.

2) Lighter build - I saw a Turkish review which noted that the doors and overall feeling has become lighter than ever to increase efficiency and reduce costs. I'm sure safety wont have been affected though.

3) Design - Most have loved the almost bland yet clean design of Punto and Linea, but I love that angry look and a few kinks and curves, Aegea has it and it'll instantly be the best looking car in the market beating even Hyundai.

4) Transmissions - I guess these cars having been released this year should come with AMT or fully automatic options.. so more buyer potential with varied transmission choices.

5) More tech - They put enough tech in a 2005 made car to rival or beat cars of today.. one can only imagine what would be in their current year models.

Its about time they take out the Punto & Linea.. their days of 20 year long product cycles are long over ever since the Padmini left the factory line. They should serve the latest and greatest if they're interested in India else there is always Brazil & Spain.

Instead of adding power, all they could have done is to change the gear ratios and made the existing one more drivable. Not a bad attempt but unless they junk the existing gearbox no amount of power is going to help.

What comes to my mind is the Linea Powered by Abarth thread on this forum, which was closed on the same day it was started, because the news was fake. Somebody just stuck a 'Powered by Abarth' badge behind a Linea and posted the pic on some websites stating it is the new Linea powered by Abarth. And everybody started a howl and cry on what all features they want is not there / why it is not going to be a success.

I see same fate to this thread. Because prima facie this information looks not genuine. Handful of reasons for that,
1. Price starts at 7.82L?!! Even the current Active variant of Linea costs 8.38L ex-showroom. Also, in all probability, Linea 125s will come only as a top of the line variant. Like the Punto 90hp.
2. Longest in the segment with 4596mm?? Thats no news. Thats the length of current Linea.
3. Then there is this speech from Mr. Kevin Flynn (which they claim) on the occasion of Linea 125s's launch, but mention no words about it.
4. And couple of image of current Linea.
And we have a thread in Team-BHP now on this!!! Let's not fall for this guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vpillai (Post 4011091)
What comes to my mind is the Linea Powered by Abarth thread on this forum, which was closed on the same day it was started, because the news was fake.
---
1. Price starts at 7.82L?!! Even the current Active variant of Linea costs 8.38L ex-showroom. Also, in all probability, Linea 125s will come only as a top of the line variant. Like the Punto 90hp.
----
Let's not fall for this guys.

Thanks, I really felt happy till I read your post. But, I also feel this is some bogus news. I just checked their website and there is no mention of the new car and as you said the indicated price does not quite add up to believe this is a verified actual news.