Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2018, 19:50   #76
BHPian

Re: Fiat Punto EVO & Avventura PowerTech range with 92 BHP launched; starts at INR 6.81 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
The company mandated 15000kms engine oil change is very stretched and indian driving conditions are too harsh for it .Moreover he was suggesting timing chain replacement in next service (60k kms)which i declined owning to updated timing chain replacement intervals .
I think I should stick to it .
Though I agree to all the points mentioned you except for the ones mentioned above.
  • Why is it so difficult to believe the manufacturer recommended or mandated service intervals? They would have done a thorough testing of lakhs of kms before releasing. Avvy was seen testing for such a long time that when they launched it was a total flop. And to be frank there was nothing much to test except for the beefed up components. Engine is literally the same anyway.
  • Mate! Even the 15 K recommended is less . Engine oil will last longer - just as a fail safe measure they will quote lesser than what the engine will actually last.
  • My 90 HP 2014 GP has done 75 K in about 4 years. I have been diligently following the 15 K interval. Well the car still drives as good as new. Unless you are ripping the engine apart or have done any tuning and stuff to enhance the performance I don't think we actually need any such lower interval servicing. I do take my car to service center every 7.5 K. That's more for preventive maintenance though. I travel a lot on highways with family and hence want to be safe than be sorry. Doesn't cost more than 500 bucks. And I have driven 1 k or more on multiple occasions with family on board and never had any mechanical failures till date
  • Regarding timing chain replacement please check your manual if your Avvy is fitted with the new timing chain which is supposed to last 90 K. If not please follow the service advisor. There have been cases where folks have postponed and have paid through their nose.
  • And timing chain replacements intervals is more for new timing chain. The older one still needs to be changed @ 60 K. Mine was changes @ 57 K and the new one will last till at least 147 K.

One of the main reasons to buy a European (Fiat) was the longer service intervals other than the good reasons the Fiats are known for. By servicing at lower intervals we are loosing the advantage over Japs, Koreans and other such manufacturers.

Saving that money for a better update later on makes a lot more sense.
nibedk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks