Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2018, 23:33   #481
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The vehicle is looking pretty decent except for the tail lights. Fit and finish seems to be top notch. Will have to wait for the team-bhp review. The autocar review looks a bit sugar coated.

Sugar coated indeed. Almost as if Mahindra had written the script!
John is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 23:35   #482
MMV
BHPian

Based on the features listed in base M2 variant, it's undoubtedly VFM. The taxi segment should give it the volumes esp considering Crysta G is priced way above. The question is whether family users will board the vehicle esp higher variants, IMO lot depends on feedback on engine, drive quality esp road presence and ground clearance. Not to mention mileage ��
MMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 02:03   #483
BHPian

Finally Mahindra did it, a rival to previous gen Innova, Marazzo being a FWD won't be a direct comparison to Innova yet it surely will sell in numbers as they are filling a void left by the original innova in term of pricing.
Old 4th September 2018, 04:09   #484
BHPian

Wishes to M&M for a good looking product. Does anybody know about the engine, is this a new one, the specs look impressive for a 1.5 L oil burner.

M&M has got the pricing right, even the base variant is loaded with essential features. Although, a buyer spending 1 million INR would expect at least a basic audio system. This is not a show stopper, there is a healthy population who do not like stock audio and prefer to totally revamp/customise it from the after market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandogerät View Post
Yours truly developed the color configurator
Nice job. I like the truly 360 rotation, the tool is super smooth unlike the most. Playing with the configurator was fun. The shades are cool, some of them look unique such as the purple one. To my eyes the Marazzo looks best in OCEANIC BLACK.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 06:02   #485
BHPian

Surely looks like a "Hexa" moment for Mahindra. From the initial reviews at least, seems like a job well done.

Big downer are safety features. When you are targeting it to be a premium "family car", 6 airbags IMO is a must. That's a deal breaker for me.
Old 4th September 2018, 06:45   #486
Senior - BHPian

This is a really nice car and I would have been tempted to buy it had I been in the car market. But I wonder whether the price overlap of higher variants would prompt people to consider the Hexa as well which is better specced ? Also worth considering the in house cannibalisation into Scorpio, XUV sales.

I really hope this gives a serious competition to the pretty ordinary Ertiga and also tempts Toyota to bring in the Avanza.

Great effort by Mahindra. It definitely looks like a shark from head on. First the Cheetah, now the shark..next vehicle should be inspired by a bird I presume.

Last edited by narayan : 4th September 2018 at 07:07.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 07:17   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who are saying Marazzo will eat into the sales of Hexa/Crysta/Scorpio/XUV, I don't think so. Buyers who are into any of the above cars won't even consider Marazzo. They either need a SUV or a MUV with a little snob value.

Hexa is one impressive package with amazing ride quality, and knowing Mahindras usual ride quality, not many would go with Marazzo. Afterall to common public, it doesn't matter where it was designed, it is still a Xylo replacement.

XUV's 140 HP 2.2 engine would have made more sense though. Now Maruti has a nice chance of pricing new Ertiga between old Ertiga and Marazzo. Given the new Ertiga is bigger and more spacious, it becomes a no brainer for the buyer. Hoping to see 1500-2000 Marazzos being sold every month.

Personally, I find it overpriced.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th September 2018 at 07:18.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 08:17   #488
BHPian

I kept thinking that marazzo reminded me a minivans from the late 1990's and early 2000's. Found the picture of toyota previa from the early 2000's and there are a lot of similarities. It looks like a box on wheels but I am sure the cab guys will lap it up.
The car magazine guys are fawning over it in the reviews and I found it hilarious. They could have just said "Look folks, mahindra would not let us have a first drive if we do not say good things about. So please do not laugh at our "reviews". We have no choice"
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 08:46   #489
BHPian

I think the new Marazzo's front was inspired by Tata Bolt. ( Pic for Reference )
Another subtle win for Tata, as I'd pointed out earlier too that the Honda Brio facelift rear looked like a cut-paste job from the Tiago.

Coming to the Marazzo, though it's very mature product ( with thankfully matured lines ), I'm really skeptical about the grand success of the product.

1. It was supposed to be a baby Innova/replacement of the gen 1 Innova. However, it's engine might be underpowered especially when it's running out the hills fully loaded.
People would miss the Scorpio for it's SUVness, and Innova for it's MUVness.
Though the Marazzo is no way a half hearted attempt, it's just that something doesn't click my mind regarding the overall product's objective.

2. The Ertiga facelift(it's direct competitor) is going to come soon. It's a much more imposing car (something we love) and with a much better value proposition for a city-oriented people carrier. Also, Maruti must be gearing up real hard to launched the update ASAP, as they wouldn't want to let Mahindra to snatch away the festive sales.

For cab operators, they'll trust Maruti's overall reliant engine over Mahindra's new one for city purposes.

If Maruti's listening, launch the Ertiga Diesel 1.3 ASAP, and then update it with a "Pro-version" 1.5 Diesel, along with the Ciaz.
Bringing updated "pro" versions of the same product is certaininly trending these days (Case in point : Smartphones)

PS : I'm not even considering BR-V or the Mobilio. In my personal opinion, Honda (with it's manufacturing/facelift policies) has adopted this kind-of stereotypical Indian thinking that it's totally okay to arrive late to the party and act like a diva.

Last edited by sharktale : 4th September 2018 at 08:47.
sharktale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 09:13   #490
Senior - BHPian

In keeping with most cars designed by Indian manufacturers, this car needs to go on a diet. A 1650kg kerb weight might look decent but once loaded with 5 passengers and their luggage and fuel, the total weight will approach more than 2100 kgs and I am not sure how the little 1.5 engine is going to cope. Also, this is inherently disadvantaged on hills being front wheel drive only. I am not really sure what was Mahindra trying to achieve by having a ladder chassis and then engineering it to be front wheel drive rather than go with the tried and tested ladder frame and rear wheel drive.

I also cannot fathom why they did not use the existing XUV platform as they are almost the same length and wheelbase. Some of the engineering decisions by Mahindra are baffling to say the least.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 4th September 2018 at 09:14.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 09:20   #491
BHPian

Right, and selecting an Italian sounding name. I am not sure how people will relate to a car named that. Though all subjective, this name simply doesn't suit a car. Sounds like some food dish..

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
In keeping with most cars designed by Indian manufacturers, this car needs to go on a diet. A 1650kg kerb weight might look decent but once loaded with 5 passengers and their luggage and fuel, the total weight will approach more than 2100 kgs and I am not sure how the little 1.5 engine is going to cope. Also, this is inherently disadvantaged on hills being front wheel drive only. I am not really sure what was Mahindra trying to achieve by having a ladder chassis and then engineering it to be front wheel drive rather than go with the tried and tested ladder frame and rear wheel drive.

I also cannot fathom why they did not use the existing XUV platform as they are almost the same length and wheelbase. Some of the engineering decisions by Mahindra are baffling to say the least.
Old 4th September 2018, 09:20   #492
BHPian

Ok. So, I had no hopes from this car. I in fact rarely followed up this thread even. But then I never really followed up any Mahindra thread. It was due to their over the top styling, always trying too hard (screaming??) for the attention, noisy engines, hard gearboxes, bad plastics and a quintessential hallmark of Mahindra engineering - the niggles. To credit the Mahindra, they never disappointed me with churning out the KUVs and TUVs (no offense to owners).

So, yesterday when the car got launched and Autocar had a review, I went through some pages. A few people liked the car and most of us are talking of confused positioning of the Marazzo (pronounced like Pizza, the European mainland way of pronouncing the 'Z' as 'tjh' somewhat).

While we wait for our own review, which usually comes within a month to six (depending on the OEMs' idiosyncrasies), I am forced to make a post on this thread.

I liked the car. It's quite a statement from me, for any Mahindra car. But then, I also liked movies like Drona or Flying Jatt, although in a masochistic way. So, you ought not to take my tastes with any degree of seriousness.

So, while it's almost unfathomable for me to imagine how well a FWD meets the BOF, I can't help thinking that whether the car succeeds or not, Mahindra has gone a step forward, without an iota of suspicion.

I am not sure if it's just going to be cabbies' favorite or people who think of buying Innova but now find themselves outpriced, develop a liking, creating a 'new segment' again.

This looks like to be a Chinese Innova, like what Xiaomi is to Apple. It's a proper, rugged, no nonsense, premium seven seater. I see a market of people have large families, but don't find Ertiga bad road friendly enough and yet want something Innova like (for long distance and comfortable travels). They don't really have any option till now. So, like Suresh Raina, this car still could still find a way to survive.

I am just waiting for the day when Mahindra's designers stop taking inspiration from different animals for designing their cars. They could start designing their cars based on something else, like a real car maybe.

Last edited by atnyia : 4th September 2018 at 09:26.
atnyia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 09:22   #493
BHPian

I kind of liked the design. For a people mover, there’s not a lot that one can do to make it look like a sports car or an SUV.

What I don’t understand is the choice of the engine. While it’s a new platform, what made them think that 121 horses and 300 Nm would be enough to pull this + 7 people (600 kilos?) + 50 odd kilos of luggage (maybe on the roof). This one with 140 horses and at least 400 Nm would have guaranteed instant success. The Indian consumer does look at power figures nowadays.

There are a lot of people that have been comparing it to the Lodgy and wondering why this is not better!! Truth is the Lodgy was a brilliant product that never found enough homes. Toyota with a brand perception (worthy of it too) and Maruti with a cost effective solution are bigger brands than Renault and Nissan put together.

Wonder how people actually got the Ertiga with the national Diesel engine which was so horribly underpowered.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 09:39   #494
BHPian

Overall it is a good attempt and looks like a nicely designed product. The pricing was slightly above my anticipation. I was expecting the M2 to start from 9.0 lacs. Looking forward to reading the official review and ownership reviews.

Somehow the posts like Mahindra might have scripted the reviews and auto magazine reviewers won't highlight the con's of the product can be avoided I think. Obviously, they don't have the liberty to put their view in the way we post on TeamBHP. But they will express the same thing in a toned down manner. I have seen two reviewers mentioning, noise, body roll, and power output etc.
Old 4th September 2018, 09:42   #495
BHPian

Got the brochure from a WhatsApp post. Attaching it with this post. Seems toe good attempt from M&M
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E Brochure - Marazzo.pdf (3.16 MB, 453 views)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed