Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2018, 16:23   #601
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched

Completely off topic but thought of sharing. Mods please delete the post if you find it inappropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-img20180910wa0043.jpg  

Akib Khan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 11:06   #602
Senior - BHPian

Need Expert Advice

I am from a non-technical background! I do not know how to do DIY Stuff on automobiles!

I see many DIY Threads of people Retrofitting Cruise Control on their steeds in this Forum. Will it be possible to buy the 8 Seater M6 variant of Marazzo, and install the Steering and Cruise Control System of M8 through the Dealership or as a DIY Project? Is the Wiring and ECU etc. available in the lower variants as well, which are needed for working of this Module/Feature?
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 15:15   #603
Senior - BHPian

Some more reasons on why it is not going to be cake walk for Mahindra.
1.AC not working in a car that has run mere 100KM's.
2.Inconsistent body panel gaps.
3.Mahindra has a long way to go when it comes to ergonomics.

Last edited by PrideRed : 11th September 2018 at 15:17.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 15:33   #604
Senior - BHPian

Took a look at Marazzo at the dealers today. Its definitely a huge step up from Xylo for Mahindra. For many, the cabin experience will be on - par with Crysta - and you can't fault them, it is quite good.

But I don't think it will dent Crysta's sales - just like there was minimal cross-shopping between XUV5OO and the earlier Fortuner. And I just get a feeling this maybe an above average seller for M&M but not a block buster. Although I personally feel it was the best built of all M&M vehicles on display.
Old 11th September 2018, 16:23   #605
BHPian

Many have praised the car for the interior, be it the space or materials however I am still unconvinced with 1.5 engine is a heavy people mover.
Not sure how it will take hills or for that matter exiting ramps from malls with 5- 6 on board with AC.
Old 11th September 2018, 17:28   #606
BHPian

I had an opportunity to test drive the Marazzo y'day.
I may be the odd one out here, but Don't know why I did NOT find the quality of plastics and overall interior quality upto the mark.
When you are paying close to 17 lakhs for this car, I expect it to be bit more premium in feel.
The steering wheel is too bland and Mahindra could have easily brough in XUV's unit here and with some leather wrap on M8 at least.
That gloss black strip on dashboard seems to be a dust magnet as the TD car had lot of dust accumulated only on it, despite the whole car being neat and clean.

From outside though, the car looked huge and has some good road presence.

On paper, engine specs looked to be insufficient for the car of this size but drivability wise felt good enough.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 17:41   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
I had an opportunity to test drive the Marazzo y'day.
I may be the odd one out here, but Don't know why I did NOT find the quality of plastics and overall interior quality upto the mark.
When you are paying close to 17 lakhs for this car, I expect it to be bit more premium in feel.
I felt the same. It looked like the first version of Verna when launched.
Old 11th September 2018, 22:41   #608
BANNED

The problem with marazzo is

The M2 and M4 variants are so low on features and equipment that they will only appeal to cabbies.

Private users will need to buy the M6 or M8.

The M6 will cost the buyer 15+ lakhs on road , including the cost of fitting some essentials like reverse camera etc. The M8 will cost the buyer nearly 17 lakhs on road. At such prices, many buyers will automatically upgrade to innova crysta (better engine, more premium interiors, unbeatable reliability, great resale, etc).

The trick mahindra has missed out on - is in equipping the M4 variant a bit more richer (fog lamps, alloy wheels, some chrome on the grill, reverse parking sensors, etc), so as to appeal to the private buyer. At 13 lakhs on road (including cost of adding some essential features, accessories), the slightly richer equipped M4 would have been significantly better product than an Ertiga, and significantly cheaper than the Innova Crysta - thus hitting the sweet spot - a simple and obvious choice for a large number of private buyers.

Last edited by PYSO : 11th September 2018 at 22:59.
PYSO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 09:00   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
The problem with marazzo is

The M2 and M4 variants are so low on features and equipment that they will only appeal to cabbies.

Private users will need to buy the M6 or M8.

The M6 will cost the buyer 15+ lakhs on road , including the cost of fitting some essentials like reverse camera etc. The M8 will cost the buyer nearly 17 lakhs on road. At such prices, many buyers will automatically upgrade to innova crysta (better engine, more premium interiors, unbeatable reliability, great resale, etc).

The fully loaded Innova diesel is about 26L. It would be a stretch for even the most flexible buyer to go from 17L to 26L as an upgrade. /reply.

I find it a bit surprising that folks continue to compare this with Innova. Just because it's a 7 seater and is at the same dimension, doesn't mean we need to keep bashing the Marazzo. Let's compare this with Ertiga and this will outshine it in every department. Also, why don't we ask Maruti to add features like the Marazzo? Why is everyone concerned about the smaller engine in Marazzo while we have a puny 1.3L pulling 7 people in an Ertiga wherever they want to go? (No offence to Ertiga owners btw)

For me, this is a great attempt by Mahindra to create (or divide) a segment where buyers are usually forced to buy one or two vehicles that have a monopoly. It will be interesting to see if the window-shoppers actually bite (no pun intended) or resign to upgrade / downgrade.
Mad Max is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 10:04   #610
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

I find it a bit surprising that folks continue to compare this with Innova. Just because it's a 7 seater and is at the same dimension, doesn't mean we need to keep bashing the Marazzo.
Sorry, but I wasn't bashing the Marazzo. I did a TD of Marazzo and was quite impressed (You can read my TD review on page 37).

The limited point I was making in my above post is that, in my opinion, M2 and M4 variants will easily appeal to cabbies, but not to private buyers.

The M6 and M8 variants are meant to appeal to private buyers - but may not find too many takers, due to pricing being too close to lower variants of Innova Crysta (or mid variants of Hexa).

The risk that Mahindra has taken with this strategy is that the initial buyers of Marazzo will mostly be cabbies. This could potentially lead to Marazzo earning the stigma of being a pure cabbies vehicle (like the Xylo). Once such a stigma sinks in - the damage cannot be undone.

It is extremely important to ensure that the initial buyers of Marazzo has a healthy proportion of private buyers. The easiest way to ensure that is to kit the M4 variant sufficiently for it to appeal to private buyers. Afterwards, it should be smooth sailing for Marazzo in my opinion - because it is truly a capable vehicle.

Last edited by PYSO : 12th September 2018 at 10:09.
PYSO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 10:47   #611
BHPian

Quote:
The limited point I was making in my above post is that, in my opinion, M2 and M4 variants will easily appeal to cabbies, but not to private buyers.

Yes, that is expected and who knows, most sales may come from taxi segment.

Quote:
The M6 and M8 variants are meant to appeal to private buyers - but may not find too many takers, due to pricing being too close to lower variants of Innova Crysta (or mid variants of Hexa).
That argument can be substantiated or refuted only when we know how these two cars stack against each other in terms of features. If the lower variant of the Innova doesn't offer the features that a private buyer expects, I don't think there will be many takers for the Innova over the Marazzo. As others have already said, I don't expect people to spend 7-8 lakhs just because it's a Toyota or an Innova. 2-3 lakh, may be, but 7-8 lakh will be irresistible for most.
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 17:00   #612
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post

As others have already said, I don't expect people to spend 7-8 lakhs just because it's a Toyota or an Innova. 2-3 lakh, may be, but 7-8 lakh will be irresistible for most.
The price difference is only around 4 lakhs. And not 7-8 lakhs.

The Crysta GX is comparable in features to M6, and costlier by around 4 lakhs.

The Crysta VX is comparable in features to M8, and costlier by around 4+ lakhs.

The 4 lakhs is easily justified by better engine, brand, road presence, reliability, resale value, etc. Heck, I would pay that 4 lakhs extra for the resale value alone.

A reasonably kitted M4 would be a good 6-7 lakhs cheaper than GX, and that would have brought in a lot of private buyers. But as of now the M4 is too poorly kitted.

Last edited by PYSO : 12th September 2018 at 17:15.
PYSO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 17:34   #613
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it's priced to entice, the Marazzo will soon come with some spicy offers in my opinion. My reasoning for a lukewarm market response is as follows:

- Badge snobbery. For approx. the same money a lower spec'd Toyota Innova Crysta would be a far more enticing prospect for most Indians vis a vis the better spec'd Mahindra! On the pride stakes alone one would be happier being seen in a Crysta, especially when your neighbour/relatives will be judging you primarily on the car rather than it's features.

- The Innova Crysta's resale value. Most buyers know when i comes to depreciation the Toyota will be hard to beat. Plus expect chunky discounts in 6 months time, which is when the Mahindra offers start flowing for recent launches. This will be further detrimental to resale values. Rest assured Toyota salesmen will remind prospective customers about the same.

- The Hexa. For anyone happy to go with an Indian brand the Hexa will provide decent competition especially with the offers available atm! Apart from the poorer fuel efficiency the Hexa has a lot going for it compared to the Marazzo. The Mahindra will outsell the Tata, but the Hexa will provide another viable option to a shoppers list and steal some sales.

As always the novelty value would mean good uptake for the Mahindra in the first few months and then things will begin to taper. It's a nice car no doubt, but not disruptive enough.

The Marazzo is the people carrier version of Andy Murray; will be competitive, but definitely not a match-winner!
shortbread is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 21:33   #614
BHPian

My cousin (he is not a forum member) has been a very happy owner of the Mahindra Quanto for the last 5 plus years and has clocked close to a lakh kilometers.

Now he feels it is time for a change and has his eyes on the Marazzo. He test drove one and said it just never felt like a Mahindra . The cabin was so refined and the clutch so smooth that he stalled the car!

I strongly recommended the Hexa to him to at least consider and test drive once before he takes the final call. He is yet to do that (I have not driven either of them and opinion is based only on forum discussions).

Now looking forward to his comparison after the Hexa test drive .
Nalin1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 08:48   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The price difference is only around 4 lakhs. And not 7-8 lakhs.

The Crysta GX is comparable in features to M6, and costlier by around 4 lakhs.

The Crysta VX is comparable in features to M8, and costlier by around 4+ lakhs.

The 4 lakhs is easily justified by better engine, brand, road presence, reliability, resale value, etc. Heck, I would pay that 4 lakhs extra for the resale value alone.

A reasonably kitted M4 would be a good 6-7 lakhs cheaper than GX, and that would have brought in a lot of private buyers. But as of now the M4 is too poorly kitted.
Good comparison. I noticed from Carwale that price difference is close to what you mentioned but still higher than what is shown. Maybe this rationale will work for someone with the budget of a Innova Crysta at the outset. Not for someone who probably has just about enough to put out for the Marazzo or possibly the C segment sedans. For such a buyer, an additional 4-6 lakhs is a huge outgo.

For those buyers, the options are between Ertiga ( Petrol only engine and smaller in size ), Hexa ( Large vehicle feel, possibly more opulent and more features but still 2++ Lakhs more for another Indian brand ).

Hence I definitely feel and hope the Marazzo will find its own segment of buyers and do decent numbers.(2k p.m. ).
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed