Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2018, 17:31   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched

Spotted by my friend:

Marazzo with Self drive car number plates. Not sure if its a demo vehicle or Zoomcar has already bought them.

At least from the side stickers I am guessing it is a demo vehicle, but why self drive plates?

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-marazzo.jpg
fusionbang is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 08:56   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Spotted by my friend:

At least from the side stickers I am guessing it is a demo vehicle, but why self drive plates?

Attachment 1798638
I recently had a test drive of Marazzo, which I booked from their site and not from a dealership.
The TD car also had yellow digits on black plate.

The executive who brought down the car told me that the test drive requests raised from their site is handled centrally by their team and not any dealership.
So they have those cars registered as self drive vehicle.
Don't know the reason though.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 09:12   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Marazzo with Self drive car number plates. Not sure if its a demo vehicle or Zoomcar has already bought them.

[/ATTACH]
Perhaps they've entered into a deal with Zoomcar and other self drive cos to sell them demo cars after a year at discounted rates. Would be a win win for both Mahindra and Zoomcar. I think it's a brilliant plan if indeed that's the plan.
Lalvaz is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 09:40   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
I recently had a test drive of Marazzo, which I booked from their site and not from a dealership.

The executive who brought down the car told me that the test drive requests raised from their site is handled centrally by their team and not any dealership.
I think Mahindra has plans to give this vehicle for longer(multi-day) test drives. This will help the customer experience the vehicle in various conditions/parameters and take an informed decision. In such a case, a self-drive registration will be helpful.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 10:28   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can you please share your experience about the car, especially compared to Innova? How was it to drive and how was it as a passanger? How is the overall fit and finish, toque and fuel efficiency?
Old 14th September 2018, 10:40   #621
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Marazzo with Self drive car number plates.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Perhaps they've entered into a deal with Zoomcar
Its not Zoomcar, but Trivz.

Mahindra has partnered with them for the test drive vehicles which are owned by people willing to rent their car out for test drives.

More details here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...st-drives.html (Trivz: App where you can give your car out for test-drives)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 10:52   #622
Senior - BHPian

Saw a White TD Marazzo on the highway stretch. Car was effortlessly zipping around 100-120 kmph.
I was driving my Ertiga and tried catching up with the car. I could feel that the 1.5L might be just as adequate as the 1.3L diesel on Ertiga as the car was cutting traffic rather smoothly.

However car doesnt feel that big in person like an Innova. Could be due to those oversized tail lights which make the rear appear narrow.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 12:22   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I think Mahindra has plans to give this vehicle for longer(multi-day) test drives. This will help the customer experience the vehicle in various conditions/parameters and take an informed decision. In such a case, a self-drive registration will be helpful.
I remember Mahindra letting out its Xylos on a similar basis. They had carved out a website on which you could directly place a rental request. My uncle took it from there and drove his family around Tamil Nadu over 2-3 days. I don't remember the exact timeline but this had to be around 2011.
The idea (which came from their management interns during the early days of their 'Rise' campaign) was to allow people to experience the Xylo with the hope that at least some people would subsequently buy it...not unlike how American manufacturers sell their latest models massively to car rental fleets.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 15:49   #624
BHPian

I am in the market for a new SUV/MUV to replace my 6 year old Duster. Test drove the Innova and the Marazzo. While the former has more low end power and strong mid range, the latter feels a lot lighter and easier to manoeuvre. The Marazzo's ride quality over bad roads is Duster-like but a little more firm. Add to it the fuel economy of a 1.5L engine over a 2.4L engine, and Rs 3 lakh price advantage it makes a strong case for itself over the Innova as a 7-8 seater.
The Marazzo has made it to my shortlist for now.
Olympal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 16:12   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

P;owerDrift review of the 'SHARK' inspired Marrazo

volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 16:20   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Can you please share your experience about the car, especially compared to Innova? How was it to drive and how was it as a passanger? How is the overall fit and finish, toque and fuel efficiency?
Marazzo being the "Best built Mahindra ever" (as some media houses are claiming) still feels like lacking the finesse of Innova, which is okay considering the price too.

But still top end M8 variant being retailed at 16+ lakhs on road, I feel that there is still something to be desired from this Mahindra.
So overall not bad I would say.

Comfort levels we excellent and so was the space.
I'm 5'11'' guy and found the third row head room to be little tight. I can sit comfortably during normal drive but not sure what will happen when car hits the bump.

Engine seems to be underpowered 'ONLY ON PAPER' but in real world seems more than adequate for the duty it is supposed to do.
For your reference, we were 5 aboard when we took the drive.

Still I would recommend you to wait for arrival of next gen Ertiga before putting in your money on any car of this segment.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 19:39   #627
Senior - BHPian

Test Drove Mahindra Marazzo today. Below are a few points :

1. Bonnet looks small compared to the entire car. Not disproportionate, but a wee bit small.

2. Rear tail lights have strong resemblance with Lodgy. While arriving at dealership, I mistook Marazzo for Lodgy a few meters away from dealership. Going nearer made things better. In my view, Mahindra could have done better here.

3. Had parked my 2012 Innova next to Marazzo, dimensions were quite close to my Innova. Was expecting similar space from this point.

4. Sheet metal used for door panels is good. Better than my Innova.

5. Open the door and you will see how much improvement Mahindra has done. Fit and finish is more than what I expected out of Mahindra.

6. Dashboard expanse from base of glass is quite long. It could have been shorter. What Mahindra saved in keeping the hood small, a bit of that saved real estate is comfortably consumed by Dashboard.

7. Instrument cluster is honest, functional. Nothing extraordinary but is more than contemporary. Well integrated into dash.

8. I shut off air in driver's side AC vent. Barely any air was coming out. Better than my Innova. This was the point where I got more serious for the test drive.

9. Front seats have impressively healthy height range adjustment. Seats are comfortable with good lower back support. Seats firmness is far away from soft, will help in long distance traveling.

10. Front co-passenger armrest comes in way of engaging second gear. Mahindra needs to enhance itself when it comes to ergonomics. Marazzo has good shoulder room so this was not expected. Note that front seat was adjustment was for a large adult to sit behind front co-passenger seat.

11. Second row captains' seats are a revelation. Almost as good as my Innova with longer armrests. Generous shoulder room makes its presence felt here. No reason to complain on seats. Legroom is good, but looking at large rear door I was expecting more; not that it was scant.
My rating for second row captain seats : Hexa > Innova Crysta ~ Marazzo. Hexa is simply brilliant.

12.Third row seat is surprisingly good. Was able to sit but any individual my size will quickly feel uncomfortable. Anybody less than 5'5" should be reasonably comfortable therein.

13. Single touch folding of second row seat for third row ingress and egress make things better for 3rd row access.

14. Boot with all three rows in place isn't good. Hexa remains champion here.

15. Engine was incredibly refined. Super impressive. At idle, one could say there is a diesel engine. Thats it. Much, much better than my Innova. At cruising speeds of typical highway, engine noise is bare, bare minimum. How Mahindra managed to get this engine as refined as Creta is something beyond my comprehended expectations I guess. After my Innova, this was tomb like silence. First generation Innova owners can correlate to what I am saying.

16. Clutch travel is long but soft. Left foot wont complain. No hard biting point too. Gearbox is light to use ! What a surprise. Throws are a bit long but then this is a people mover. I did find the gearbox to be slightly spongy but it was incredibly light. Lighter than my Innova for the sake of comparison. 5th gear 1500 rpm will be 40 kmph approx (and its speedo value). 6th gear helps in cruising.

17. Engine, this is where things get delicious. It almost lag-free. When torque wave comes in one realizes that off idle the wave of torque was absent. Torque is always there for urban operation. Second gear speed-breaker test was passed easily with three adults. Adding to this stress free torque inflow is super refined engine. Didn't expect a small engine in large, heavy car to be so silent. In 4th gear with three adults and AC, Marazzo was able to climb flyovers without any drama at 1250 rpm. Before heading to test drive I was apprehencisve about small engine. But all of that went away in 2 kms. of driving. For normal motoring this engine is more than sufficient. To sum up this point, engine is not insufficient unless one is in enthusiast mode. Cab market is where Marazzo has huge potential. Silent engine with more fuel efficiency (supposedly) than Innova, almost similar comfort, less capital cost. Didnt do over 80 kmph. so wont comment on top end of powerband.

18. NVH. What a pleasant surprise ! At 80 kmph, I was not able to hear engine or wind noise and road noise was very very well controlled. Feels money well spent.

19. Steering. Light and needs reach adjustment. A bit vague at dead ahead position. But light steering means its ideal for city driving and makes parking easier.

20. Ride. Very comfortable. Low speed ride better than my Innova. Handling not so. Not a deal breaker. Straight line stability is good. Quite sorted dynamics.

21. Rear AC control to switch between direct and diffuse function feels cheap to use. But a good feature. Rear AC fan control knob has soft operation but could have been better built.

An excellent effort from Mahindra, can be cab segment favourite. Deserves a test drive before buying any of its rivals. Can it beat Innova : no.
I took my Innova on the same route as Marazzo test drive. My car was noisy and brakes were not as good as Marazzo but felt more solid and with lesser body roll. Note that my Innova is 6+ years old with 64K on odo.

What I sorely missed : Lane change indicator.
Front seatbelt at the base of B-pillar looks sore point. Mahindra should have done better. I have the image with me but somehow am not able to upload. Lastly, Mahindra dealership needs an overhaul. If Marazzo was launched with Maruti or Honda or Hyundai badge, it would certainly have got more bookings.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 14th September 2018 at 19:45.
aaggoswami is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 13:13   #628
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

12.Third row seat is surprisingly good. Was able to sit but any individual my size will quickly feel uncomfortable. Anybody less than 5'5" should be reasonably comfortable therein.
I did a test drive, and I found the 3rd row seats spacious enough. My main grouse was that the backrest of the third seat is too straight up. It should have been reclined a bit more.

Did you get the same feeling?
PYSO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 00:45   #629
BHPian

Test drove Marazzo couple of days back with my cousin. We did drive for around 20 kms on highways, bad undulated roads, on sharp speed breakers and pot holed roads.

1) Good build quality.
2) Ingress/Egress is superb. Neither it is too tall like Innova, Crysta or Hexa. Nor too low like BRV, Lodgy. It's little taller than Ertiga and felt very convenient, will help aged ppl very well.
3) Interiors spacious and comfortable than Innova & Innova Crysta.
4) Good quality and big seats with arm rests, lumbar support (in top variant).
5) Seat to floor height is good, typical like all Mahindras so seating is more chair like and hence very comfortable.
6) Last row seats are 2nd best, 1st being Xylo. Seats are not low like in an Innova.
7) Excellent leg room in all rows.
8) Driver Ergonomics was very good.
9) Widely spaced pedals and ample space next to clutch pedal to comfortably rest left leg.
10) Driver gets a commanding view of the road, typical like Mahindra.
11) RIDE QUALITY IS FABULOUS.
+ Ride and Handling very impressive
+ Suspension is silent and dismisses broken roads, potholes, speed breakers with ease.
12) Cruises comfortably at 120-140 kmph.
13) NVH is awesome. No wind noise at 120 kmph. Cabin is very well insulated and is pleasantly silent.
14) AC worked well in Bangalore weather.
15) Clutch is nice and light, but long clutch travel typical to all Mahindra.
16) 6 speed Gearbox is light and quick to slot.
17) Gear ratios are well spaced.
18) The new 1.5 engine is surprisingly silent and refined, no vibration felt on pedals or gear lever or steering
19) Body roll well contained. Passengers don't feel vertical or sideways movements.
20) Steering is light at slow speeds, but weighs up perfectly as it gathers speed

Now to negatives:
- Engine has a slight turbo lag, it's not as bad as Maruti 1.3 diesel. Engine has manageable power from idling to 1800 rpm, doesnt struggle to climb like Ertiga. Engine delivers fantastic power after 1800 rpm.
- When vehicle gets slow to 10-20kmph, need to shift to 1st gear, can't manage to pull in 2nd like the Honda iDtec engine.
- Brakes were average, despite being front and back disc brakes. Brakes lack the bite
- Engine bay is very very cramped. Access to mechanical parts and even battery is tough. At maintenance, service technicians are bound to struggle.
- The New 1.5 - 4 cylinder engine, durability needs to be seen.

In short this has been the best Mahindra till date. The flagship XUV from Mahindra is no where close to Marazzo in ride quality, space, comfort & NVH. The M2 and M4 are very good value for money. The top end variant is close to Innova Crysta Gx which would have the most durable engine, better service standards and resale value.

Compared to Bolero, Scorpio (old & new gen), Xylo, XUV & TUV, the ride quality in Marazzo is simply awesome. It was a big surprise to me. Great improvement from Mahindra in this regard
Herbie98 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 10:45   #630
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The fully loaded Innova diesel is about 26L. It would be a stretch for even the most flexible buyer to go from 17L to 26L as an upgrade. /reply.

I find it a bit surprising that folks continue to compare this with Innova. Just because it's a 7 seater and is at the same dimension, doesn't mean we need to keep bashing the Marazzo. Let's compare this with Ertiga and this will outshine it in every department. Also, why don't we ask Maruti to add features like the Marazzo? Why is everyone concerned about the smaller engine in Marazzo while we have a puny 1.3L pulling 7 people in an Ertiga wherever they want to go? (No offence to Ertiga owners btw)
For me, this is a great attempt by Mahindra to create (or divide) a segment where buyers are usually forced to buy one or two vehicles that have a monopoly. It will be interesting to see if the window-shoppers actually bite (no pun intended) or resign to upgrade / downgrade.

You've nailed it exactly, Mad Max. It is undoubtedly a massive leap for M&M to have come from the XUV to the Marazzo. That body-on-chassis frame combined with FWD (without having to go o'board regarding the kerb wt) is, to my mind, a major step forward - bringing the Marazzo in line with the other state-of-the-art offerings in the segment (the Innova/Crysta apart, which have RWD as the final equalizer).

Which brings me to the one fly in the ointment. If M&M had just gone that last mile & given the Marazzo RWD it would have, in my mind at least, put the lid on most of the sniping & carping that it is facing presently.
shashanka is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed