Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 13:55   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched

What I observed was that unlike older vehicles where idle is just idle the BS4 and above engines have varying characteristics when it comes to idle. Clutch position , gear, steering angle everything seems to matter. The anti-stall in some vehicles are quite aggressive and in some it is not enough.

So questions for those who have a Marazzo at their disposal and can try the following.

Does it pass the second gear speed breaker test?

Does it pull clean from 20kmph on 3rd gear?

Does it pull clean from 40kmph on 4th gear?

If it can do these things reasonably well, I bet it will cruise effortlessly on the highway.

GTO has cleared your doubts about vehicle being underpowered.

Don't worry much about power and torque figures much(they are for marketing), if it's picking up pace the way you like it, makes for a great buy.
Old 5th November 2018, 14:30   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
So questions for those who have a Marazzo at their disposal and can try the following.

Does it pass the second gear speed breaker test?

Does it pull clean from 20kmph on 3rd gear?

Does it pull clean from 40kmph on 4th gear?

If it can do these things reasonably well, I bet it will cruise effortlessly on the highway.
Yes, yes, and yes on all three questions. I even did a stall test on the exit ramp in the apartment I stay in. The vehicle did not slide back when I started the engine and started back up in first gear

That said, the clutch characteristics are a bit different from the Scorpio and similar vehicles, and it does take some getting used to. I have stalled it a couple of times by mistake while driving. However, it cruises nicely once in the sweet spot of RPM on an open road, and has an almost sedan-like driving feel, with its slightly stiffer suspension, low body roll, and lower than SUV seating position
HighwayofLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 16:09   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
A simple solution to all the 'underpowered' hooplah is to plonk a 6 speed tranny and let it handle the tourque curve and what not.

That will also give them lot more private buyers.

I'm sorry, I meant a 6 speed Auto.
Old 5th November 2018, 17:54   #739
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

There is no connection between stalling & being under-powered. Like the Skoda Yeti (which also had a huge stalling problem), I think its to do with the dual mass flywheel.

Me, Aditya, Blackwasp & ChiragM all stalled the Marazzo on multiple occasions. Embarrassingly .
Correct me if I am wrong - but aren't under powered engines lacking low end torque, more likely to stall.

If the stalling is purely an issue with the clutch setup (assuming that there is no lack of low end torque), it still points to a sub optimal powertrain.

A customer paying 15 - 18 lakhs (for M6, M8 variants) won't necessarily be happy about frequent stalling. I am sure it will affect sales numbers, just like it must have done for the Yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
. The Marazzo has a power-to-weight ratio of 76 BHP / ton, which is better than the Tata Hexa & Maruti Ertiga!
Ertiga Petrol has good amounts of low end torque and that should get even better with new upcoming ertiga with larger 1.5 litre Petrol engine.

Last edited by PYSO : 5th November 2018 at 18:02.
Old 5th November 2018, 18:44   #740
Team-BHP Support

I am not specfically talking about Marazzo here as I am yet to drive one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Correct me if I am wrong - but aren't under powered engines lacking low end torque, more likely to stall.
Not necessarily, it just has different engine tune. An engine very rarely will have power throughout the rev range. If it has good bottom/mid-range, it won't have a strong top end, at least in main stream cars/SUV's and vice-versa.

Quote:
If the stalling is purely an issue with the clutch setup (assuming that there is no lack of low end torque), it still points to a sub optimal powertrain.
Maybe, maybe not. We can conclude only after ascertaining the reason.

Quote:
A customer paying 15 - 18 lakhs (for M6, M8 variants) won't necessarily be happy about frequent stalling. I am sure it will affect sales numbers, just like it must have done for the Yeti..
Yeti was not everyone's cup of tea, not many liked it and those who do, are yet to find the perfect replacement, though they are far out numbered by those who didn't like it.

Clutch issue has got nothing to do with Yeti's sale, just that at the price it came, people could get themselves a full fledged SUV for that price. Say, something like the Tiguan. And we know what sells in India.

Space wise, Marazzo should have an edge over the current Ertiga, though am not sure about the upcoming one.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 19:54   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes and No!

Let me explain, If you put a Nano`s engine in Ertiga - It is under powered both in terms of numbers and actual performance.

Now lets put an old Bolero engine in it - Under powered? yes on paper. But in terms of everyday driving, it will be more than adequate.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 22:19   #742
BANNED

Well, since so many people have reported engine stalling when starting off from idle - I think Mahindra should try to fix the problem.

It is possibly because of lack of sufficient torque at idling rpm - In that case it can probably be fixed by retuning the engine a little bit.

Or it is because of some issue with the clutch setup - I don't know how easy it is to fix that, and how fast that can be rolled out.

But I am hoping mahindra addresses this problem.
Old 5th November 2018, 22:30   #743
BHPian

Mod Note: Our Marazzo Report has been taken live at this link (Mahindra Marazzo : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Quote:

A customer paying 15 - 18 lakhs (for M6, M8 variants) won't necessarily be happy about frequent stalling. I am sure it will affect sales numbers, just like it must have done for the Yeti.
The stalling isn't frequent. It's just that one has to get used to the behavior of the car, and every car has different behaviour. It took me a day of driving to get used to the exact way to release the clutch, which is lighter than my Scorpio's clutch was.

Second, the low end of this car doesn't have a lot of grunt, but that isn't to say it's under-powered and doesn't move when you release the clutch. What that might mean is some difficulty in driving uphill in extremely hilly conditions. But you must also remember that this is a front wheel drive, which means less transmission loss and a bit less struggle going uphill

Third, I found it plenty fast on the road, especially in the sweet spot of the rev range.

So to say it's under-powered isn't right.

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2018 at 16:01. Reason: Link to review :)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed