Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2018, 21:50   #211
BHPian

re: New Mahindra MPV caught testing in Chennai. EDIT: Named Marazzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponbaarathi View Post
Spotted this car being tested today morning in Chennai.
Interiors seem better than the new Ertiga! Hope they price it competitively.
Old 1st May 2018, 19:32   #212
BHPian

A Powerdrift reader shares a spy shot of the upcoming Mahindra MPV:

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-screenshot_20180501193036061_com.instagram.android.png

Source: https://www.instagram.com/powerdrift/

Last edited by Prathiiik : 1st May 2018 at 19:44.
Prathiiik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 02:11   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a chance to get up close and personal with the U231 today on the way back home . Some things that caught my eye:

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-u231_1.jpg
  • With 6 people on board, it looked like a very comfortable fit and rear seat leg room was quiet decent but the 3 row did look a wee bit cramped
  • With all seats occupied, luggage space is very minimal
  • This was probably the low end variant as there was no touch screen
  • Interiors are black and cream combination and even the seats were cream. Not sure if the seat material was fabric or leather
  • Second row captain seats looked very comfortable
  • Dashboard plastic texture looks almost like that of the TUV. Did not get to feel it but it looks the same.
  • Door handles are chunky and the door shuts with a decent thud
  • DRL looks really nice in person and should really go well with dark colors
  • Person in yellow T shirt was asking the driver to do 160-170 kmph so that they can test (conversation petered off as I walked up to them)
  • Spoke to these folks while they were having their coffee (CCD Sira) and he said that this is final phase testing of electronics (steering wheel, dashboard sensors were missing)
  • Asked them more details about engine, FWD vs RWD and they went silent
  • Check out the boot door handle, looks like this one is going to lift up like a hatch. Should be easy to use for everyone as long as the struts dont eat up a lot of space
  • Think this does have rear AC vents (no brainer but you never know!) as I could see water dripping near the rear wheel a la XUV500
  • Small AC vent near the passenger seat footwell - not sure if its fake like the one in Tata Nexon
  • Front and Rear disc brakes . 16 inch rims shod with 215/65 profile tyres
  • Seatbelts were not height adjustable - again this could be a variant specific feature
  • Massive headlamp cluster with decent sized projectors. Did not get a chance to see them in action though. Also has an eyebrow like the Nexon
  • Front wipers arms seemed to be very weirdly shaped

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-u231_2.jpg

My 2 cents:
  • Given the distance between the front bumper and windscreen + the sharp downward slope of bonnet (reminds me of the Ritz), Its going to be a very tight fit for the 2L/2.2L engine. My guess is that this is a smaller engine with a decent sized turbo
  • Shape and size of rear windows suggests that it might not go down all the way
  • I think this is closer to the Ertiga than the Crysta from a seating, comfort and luxury point of view
  • I think this is going to be a monocoque FWD MPV and not a RWD. Again this is just based on looks and what I have read but would love to be proved wrong as I strongly believe that an MPV needs a RWD
procrj is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:53   #214
Senior - BHPian

Very good overview. With the amount of testing it has undergone, I am sure Mahindra is looking for a big pie in the MPV market with sales above 3-4k per month.

Due to it's small engine bay(typical MPV) I expect better space for the last row as well as a practical boot as compared to XUV. Even xylo had better 3rd row seating compared to XUV and I am sure Mahindra is only going to improve it further

Hoping to have an AT on this !!
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 22:40   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
  • Asked them more details about engine, FWD vs RWD and they went silent
Great observations buddy
Next time may be you can look for a rear axle instead of asking them
Old 6th May 2018, 08:22   #216
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Many thanks GTO & Srinidhi Srinivas for sharing these latest pics. Do you have any idea if this upcoming MPV will be a Forward Wheel Drive or a Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)? Since this will cater to the people mover segment, ideally it should be a RWD.
+1! I second that - an MPV of this size (~Innova, Lodgy, Mobilio etc) should have RWD by most arguments. I believe that among the features that makes the Innova the gold standard among Indian MPVs, is the fact that it has RWD, plus that body-on-chassis structure. It takes the Innova streets ahead in the durability & ruggedness stakes. The other mfrs. have taken the easy bean-counter's route and given their examples monocoque & FWD set-ups. Discerning buyers have always known the pros & cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Great observations buddy
Next time may be you can look for a rear axle instead of asking them
That would not be much help in these new monocoque structures with RWD, where the rear differential is in unit with the underbody structure as part of the "sprung weight", where the diff. remains invisible on casual inspection, as in the AWD XUV-500 and much of the BMW & M-B range. A more easily accessible area is the engine bay - the engine is usually transversely positioned for all FWD-ers. If the engine is longitudinally located it may be likely that the set-up is RWD.

With so many folks having spotted the MPV in so many places, by now this issue - RWD / FWD - could have been cleared up!

Last edited by shashanka : 6th May 2018 at 08:24.
Old 6th May 2018, 16:03   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
That would not be much help in these new monocoque structures with RWD, where the rear differential is in unit with the underbody structure as part of the "sprung weight", where the diff. remains invisible on casual inspection, as in the AWD XUV-500 and much of the BMW & M-B range. A more easily accessible area is the engine bay - the engine is usually transversely positioned for all FWD-ers. If the engine is longitudinally located it may be likely that the set-up is RWD.
The rear axle shaft that connects to the wheels is still a giveaway if I remember right. The bevel gear might have been hidden in the underbody although I am not sure if that's entirely possible for a vehicle of this size. Also, if it were an FWD car, the dead axle on the rear wheels would be a giveaway.

Plus it's a Mahindra. I would take a rough stab in the dark and say its either an RWD or an AWD.
VaidhiR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 06:14   #218
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post
The rear axle shaft that connects to the wheels is still a giveaway if I remember right. The bevel gear might have been hidden in the underbody although I am not sure if that's entirely possible for a vehicle of this size. Also, if it were an FWD car, the dead axle on the rear wheels would be a giveaway.
Plus it's a Mahindra. I would take a rough stab in the dark and say its either an RWD or an AWD.
The set-up that we are discussing (monocoque, RWD with IRS) employs articulated half-hafts from the differential housing to each wheel hub, usually with two CV/universal joints at each end - the differential & the wheel hubs. Depending on the G.C. (ground-hugging roadster or high-up proper SUV), the height difference between differential centre-line & the wheel hub centres decide the angle of inclination of these half-shafts.

In normal repose they are not visible from a casual standing position (XUV500 AWD, BMW Z-series roadsters, Porsche Cayenne, the M-B SUVs etc). My practice (if my curiosity is sufficiently aroused!) is to look around casually and bend down to my knees & take a quick peek down under! This has sometimes caused raised eye-brows & odd glances from passers-byes, but my curiosity has been rewarded - RWD/IRS or not!

M&M sprang a real surprise with their XUV500 - a monocoque with the option of AWD with a proper viscous coupling at the centre to prevent torque wind-up. This is serious stuff and the XUV went up the cost ladder correspondingly. So if M&M want to use the same set in their new MPV, they would be breaking new ground - unlike the Lodgy, Ertiga, Mobilio & others on the popular MPV gravy-train, who have stuck to the convenient FE/FWD set-up.

Last edited by shashanka : 7th May 2018 at 06:26.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 16:28   #219
Senior - BHPian

What are the odds of Mahindra offering AT variant? I am Keen on XUV, but won't mind waiting for couple more months if it is worth it
Old 8th May 2018, 02:14   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
The set-up that we are discussing (monocoque, RWD with IRS) employs articulated half-hafts from the differential housing to each wheel hub, usually with two CV/universal joints at each end - the differential & the wheel hubs. Depending on the G.C. (ground-hugging roadster or high-up proper SUV), the height difference between differential centre-line & the wheel hub centres decide the angle of inclination of these half-shafts.

In normal repose they are not visible from a casual standing position (XUV500 AWD, BMW Z-series roadsters, Porsche Cayenne, the M-B SUVs etc). My practice (if my curiosity is sufficiently aroused!) is to look around casually and bend down to my knees & take a quick peek down under! This has sometimes caused raised eye-brows & odd glances from passers-byes, but my curiosity has been rewarded - RWD/IRS or not!
I see what you mean by what you say about IRS/AWD/Monocoque combination.

Porsche Cayenne
The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-extfab957m4.jpg

Mercedes GLC
The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-clipboard1.jpg

BMW Z4
The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-img_0070.jpg

The differential, if hidden inside due to GC, is mostly going to intrude with cabin space that would compromise the centre seat leg space substantially. The BMW 1 Series has this problem. The person sitting in the centre has to "man spread" to a certain degree which makes coming in and getting out a PIB.

The SUVs are a different class altogether. The only reason why they would have a higher than usual differential placement is if they want to cover it up with an underbody trim but then again, it will include the penultimate tailpipe exhaust before the silencer/CC.

Out of this, the Porsche and the Mercedes have a straightforward design. The exhaust manifold splits into two and they flow through on either side of the differential hub. The IRS is seen vividly on both the cars with the Mercedes packing what I see as a trailing arm. Please correct me if I am wrong. The BMW, however, is a different story. The silencer pipe doesn't split. And for the most part, the differential is cleverly (and beautifully) hidden behind the underbody trim.

But in all these cases, the axle that connects the bevel gear, to the wheel hub is distinctly seen. But I'm not certain, and I agree with you, that it will be this clear in case of a parked car. A sneak peek is essential.
VaidhiR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 05:07   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post
I see what you mean by what you say about IRS/AWD/Monocoque combination.

The differential, if hidden inside due to GC, is mostly going to intrude with cabin space that would compromise the centre seat leg space substantially. The BMW 1 Series has this problem. The person sitting in the centre has to "man spread" to a certain degree which makes coming in and getting out a PIB.

The SUVs are a different class altogether. The only reason why they would have a higher than usual differential placement is if they want to cover it up with an underbody trim but then again, it will include the penultimate tailpipe exhaust ........But in all these cases, the axle that connects the bevel gear, to the wheel hub is distinctly seen. But I'm not certain, and I agree with you, that it will be this clear in case of a parked car. A sneak peek is essential.

Thanks VaidhiR - your attached photographs have highlighted the matter at hand with great clarity. And they also illustrate the extraordinary ingenuity that some of the mfrs (which separate the men from the boys!) have displayed in the nitty-gritty details of underbody design/layout! The balancing act between the requirements of visual appeal (concealing the nitty-gritty!), while also providing adequate protection to the components ("sprung" differentials & half shafts being inherently more vulnerable than live axles & leaf-springs) is what makes for great engineering design - in my view!

Last edited by shashanka : 8th May 2018 at 05:21.
Old 14th May 2018, 08:07   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra 's upcoming MPV Rear Seat arrangement spied.

Quote:
depict that the second row has just adequate space. The rear AC vents are mounted on the roof. There is no centre armrest. The floor console gets storage spaces like cup holders and space for keeping mobile phones. The third row is a bit cramped in terms of knee room. It is best suited for children. Two adults can squeeze in, though. The second and third row, both get 60:40 split seats, to make it more convenient and flexible for stowing luggage.

Name:  m1.png
Views: 3269
Size:  338.9 KB

Name:  m3.png
Views: 3134
Size:  420.3 KB

Name:  mp4.png
Views: 3165
Size:  770.0 KB

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th May 2018 at 08:10.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 10:05   #223
BHPian

I am not sure, but i really like the stance of the vehicle. Atleast, the camouflaged version looks very nice. :-) Proper MPV'sh.

Purely after going through the scoops here , i think size wise, its bigger than Ertiga, still smaller than Innova crysta. Sort of similar size to Logan.

Hope, its every bit refined as the competitors. Hope it works out for Mahindra. They really needs to get this correct considering their slipping market share.
Old 14th May 2018, 11:33   #224
Senior - BHPian

Spotted couple of these mules today at Shoolagiri. One was a petrol and the other a diesel, both were top variants, with alloy wheels and DRLs in fog lamp.

Looks like Mahindra has instructed the guys to cover up the vehicle at high visibility areas when parked.

Took my table outside because I knew these guys were going to leave after breakfast, and sure enough they did. There were few employees from Jeyam Automobiles as well in the car.

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-6eaff77e9721434d92fefced5323dca9.jpeg

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-fd4203d8bf624e3aa97dcf38331cc36d.jpeg

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-c37ea89383894ea8ad776de271ef0493.jpeg

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-de461abf4e8e41d78c6ece2c0465f261.jpeg

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-a8a4cef17dea4870a9f985ea2ec18fc3.jpeg

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-8b604122375741eebedee7ba77638e28.jpeg
DRIV3R is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 15:26   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra 's upcoming MPV Rear Seat arrangement spied.

Attachment 1760664

Source:
The 3rd row seat looks huge !! (or is it the camera angle) It surely feels like the middle row of BR-V. Mahindra might have a winner already if the car is spacious. Fleet operators are going to love this for the Space and 1.6 ltr would any day be more frugal than the Innova.

Any news on the launch date ? Also looking at the Alloys etc, hoping they also have an AT on offer. Though i am yet to see any scoops talking about AT
Closed Thread

Most Viewed