Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2016, 14:44   #46
BHPian

Re: June 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Interesting figures.

Manufacturers:
  1. Maruti: Don't want to comment considering loss of approx 30k units.

2. Hyundai: lost ~1000 units on the i20 despite the Baleno perhaps being delayed. Are prospective customers changing preference from i20 to Baleno? Next month's figures would provide a good insight into this.

3. Mahindra: although in #3, units have come down from 20k+ (Jan - May average) to 15k units. Every car has seen decline over past few months, especially the Bolero - I wonder what's up with that?

4. Toyota: the Crysta has been a positive shock for them! The market has accepted the 24lac price of the car, and how. Once initial deliveries are sorted, should be back to 10k levels (unless diesel ban etc are lifted).

5. Tata: happy to see Tata in #5 and the race for #3 is for them to lose. They need to launch the Kite5, Hexa, Nexon, etc ASAP. The positive word of mouth on the Tiago will get more folks into Tata showrooms and they seriously need to take advantage of that.

6. Renault: It's a one-man show with the Kwid that shows the numbers. Else nothing exciting.

7. Honda: biggest loser in my opinion. They were behind when the diesel revolution came. They got over it with the iDtec but are again facing the brunt of being complacent and taking prospective customers for granted with sub-standard quality across their new products. With nothing exciting in near future, Honda might just be the biggest casualty of non-innovation.

8. Ford: nice jump in numbers which could be a result of their 200crore campaign and introducing their cars to the cab segment. I sat in an Aspire cab recently and was quite impressed with the space inside.

9. Datsun+Nissan: only the new Redi-Go shows some numbers, else nothing much there. I guess they are happy with their exports.

10. VW+Skoda: desperately need some new launches and some rebranding exercises to get the numbers up. They actually innovate a lot (e.g. DSG, turbo engines, etc) but unfortunately ownership experience is poor.

11. Chevrolet: No clue what they are doing in the country.

12. Fiat: At least we know they produce the national diesel engine! So sales numbers probably don't matter to them.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th July 2016 at 13:43. Reason: Spacing
avdhesh15 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 16:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

June 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Luxury car sales for June'16

Attachment 1527886

Attachment 1527881

# Mercedes sells more cars than Fiat, Nissan and Skoda

# BMW isn't showing any signs of competing with Merc and Audi selling only 60% of what the other 2 have managed

# C class is the largest selling luxury car followed by A4 and E class

http://www.autopunditz.com/

Very surprising that the dying A4 still sells almost as much as the new C Class or does it also include the A3 dispatches? Imagine what the A4 in its new 2017 version would do to this segment?
I actually anticipated the Q3 to be Audi's top seller. Surprised that it sold only a 128. They must be selling a 100 of those in Bangalore. They seem to be everywhere.
BMW is getting no where with their dated interiors. They had their best chance at it with the all new X1.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 12th July 2016 at 16:35.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 20:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
[*]Mahindra: although in #3, units have come down from 20k+ (Jan - May average) to 15k units. Every car has seen decline over past few months, especially the Bolero - I wonder what's up with that? [/list]
I suspect Bolero numbers are a reflection of the country's rural economy in the past year. A good monsoon could change that, but only for Bolero. Products such as TUV may sell neither in the rural markets nor in urban markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
[*]Datsun+Nissan: only the new Redi-Go shows some numbers, else nothing much there. I guess they are happy with their exports. [/list]
Nissan would have done better by introducing the Qashqai or Morano rather than raising the dead Datsun brand. Yes they would be expensive in India but at least they would have an aspirational product in the premium SUV range that are selling well in the international markets. Instead they bring the hybrid X-trail which IMHO is not aspirational.
subuiyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 22:14   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareesh3395 View Post
It is good to see the market showing some faith to Figo twins, they both deserve 4000units per month.

Can see a lot of Aspire cabs in Bangalore along with XCent. Probably, that is adding up to their numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Innova Crysta does magic- costs 24 lakhs yet finds 8000 homes every month.

Good that Government of India initiated the collection of 1% tax at source. Will ensure the splurging people (and non-tax payers) are paying up!

Last edited by GTO : 13th July 2016 at 10:25. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 13th July 2016, 00:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

One query to the experts:
When the Bolero sells more than 3000, why does Sumo sell less than 300? It is not this bad a product. And what shall a producer do with this product (Sumo) if it sold only around 4050 units in 6 months?
Old 13th July 2016, 00:51   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The big jump in Ritz sales is because of Maruti's positioning as a Taxi car. Lots of ads on Radio (Say Tata Bye Bye to your old car, get Maruti Ritz for Rs. 5.9 lacs)
Talked to one Uber driver who told me about Uber's new deal for drivers - Pay 35k up front and you get a Ritz registered in your name. EMI is cut from your taxi fare and in 3 years, the vehicle is yours. Good Biz Model in my opinion - but even greater deal for Maruti if they cracked this deal with Uber. If Uber is already there, can Ola be far behind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The Vitara Breeza and the Ford Ecosport have been included in the C2 category vehicle sale trends.
Shouldn't they be listed in the C1 category as they both sub-four meter vehicles and are too small to be listed under C2 ?
I partially agree - it should be in a separate category though I am not sure it should be C1. Obviously, the TG for TUV and the Ciaz is not the same and I don't believe its even indirect competition.

Other observations while going through the June figures and the thread -

1. Paradoxical results for Toyota with Innova Crysta - while all manufacturers are reeling from diesel ban in Delhi and Kerala, Innova with its 2.4L engine and steep pricing has just taken off in style - not too sure on what lessons manufacturers should take from this.

2. I believe the Renault-Datsun experiment is here to stay - they are making the right moves with Kwid and Redi-go. Serious challengers in the A segment in a long long time. If you have Maruti sitting up and taking notes, then you know that you have arrived.

3. Zest has started receiving T-Permits. So has the Aspire. Explains the jump in sales for both sedans. Sat in an Aspire Uber the other day driven by the owner himself (who is a Ford loyalist - Has 2 Figos and 2 Aspires). Great ride and back seat comfort.

4. Overall, the C1 segment seems to be losing out - Dzire on high but stagnant numbers, Amaze with dropping numbers even post facelift and similar story with Xcent. Customers are making conscious shift to B2 Hatches (Features>Boot) which shows a mature market in the making. Good going!
Petr0lHead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 10:27   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Luxury car sales for June'16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Very surprising that the dying A4 still sells almost as much as the new C Class or does it also include the A3 dispatches?
I think Arjun is right. Mercedes, Audi & BMW are clubbing the CLA / A3 / 1-Series with the C-Class / A4 / 3-Series numbers.

The entry-level cars don't even get a mention on that chart!
Old 13th July 2016, 11:14   #53
BHPian

Yellow Number plate coming to rescue for all the cars mentioned below:

1. Maruti Suzuki Ritz (Diesel)
2. Maruti Suzuki Eeco (CNG)
3. On rare occasions saw Maruti Celerio (Diesel)
4. Datsun Go (CNG - Seen with Ola Mini)
5. Ford Aspire (Diesel)
6. Hyundai Xcent (Diesel)
7. Hyundai Grand i10 (My Speculation! If it is selling with yellow plate then ought to be Diesel).
8. Honda Amaze (Diesel)
9. Tata Bolt (Diesel) mostly in XE trim.
10. Tata Indica / Vista / Indigo / Manza - Due to the recent deal with one cab company.
11. Toyota Etios (Diesel) - Hot buy amongst Cabbies.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th July 2016 at 11:31. Reason: typo corrected
DriveOnceMore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 12:41   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Yellow Number plate coming to rescue for all the cars mentioned below:

1. Maruti Suzuki Ritz (Diesel)
2. Maruti Suzuki Eeco (CNG)
3. On rare occasions saw Maruti Celerio (Diesel)
4. Datsun Go (CNG - Seen with Ola Mini)
5. Ford Aspire (Diesel)
6. Hyundai Xcent (Diesel)
7. Hyundai Grand i10 (My Speculation! If it is selling with yellow plate then ought to be Diesel).
8. Honda Amaze (Diesel)
9. Tata Bolt (Diesel) mostly in XE trim.
10. Tata Indica / Vista / Indigo / Manza - Due to the recent deal with one cab company.
11. Toyota Etios (Diesel) - Hot buy amongst Cabbies.
Absolutely. Couldn't agree more with you. All the cars mentioned did caught the special attention of the masses during their launch and in fact reported good sales in the private ownership segment. But with passage of time these models started losing mass appeal and eventually started becoming the mainstay of taxi fleet operators. As taxis, these models have done very well due to low cost of running and riding comfort they provide. As far as Grand i10 is concerned, it is still doing very good and is in fact the bread and butter model for Hyundai along with Creta.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th July 2016 at 11:32. Reason: typo corrected on quoted post
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 15:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

I usually vote for the underdog and seeing that Goliath MSIL is down for the time being. Its nice to see David (Hyundai, Ford etc..) who are really serious about the Indian market and have taken positive steps to increase their foot print here, did well.

Hyundai is now clearly above Honda and others whose products are priced at a premium but are not premium any more.

I am really happy for Ford who finally seem to be on the correct path now.

I am happy that the Kwid is doing so well. MSIL better do something about the aging Alto and definitely need a more modern and safer alternative soon enough. Just plain old front and rear headlight and bumper changes may not work for a long time with a true competitor here. But again this is something that Renault can make or break themselves. They still have a lot to learn from MSIL about A.S.S especially when volumes get higher.

24L+ for a fully loaded Crysta and frankly I have hardly seen any Crystas on the road below the V variant. So I guess its a bumper hit for Toyota and hopefully they won't go over board and increase its prices any more as I plan to buy a GX Crysta next year
But they must get the Etios replacement soon to be competitive in the highly contested hatch and small sedan space.

Fiat, well, others have already spoken so I wont elaborate much on it. Everyone talks of them being an engine supplier, but how much do they make for every Maruti or a Tata sold with the 1.3 MJD to sustain operations here without any major car sales happening?

Mahindra is another company that I just don't understand. Yea well, the Bolero is a rural market and a bad road king but other than that how long can you keep depending on a bare bones car to sustain? For a safe non flamboyant buyer like me what do they have in the market? XUV, KUV, TUV etc.. are just too flashy with over the top styling that are a strict no for me. Now if their cars were mechanically sound and niggle free I can still understand. But right now judging by the Team BHP ownership reports I am better off spending my money on a Tata than a Mahindra. They must pull their socks up and work to make their cars more reliable and probably release a styled down version of their best sellers. Their sales figures clearly indicate a downward trend that is unlikely to go up unless they work on reliability of their cars.

Glad to see Honda numbers which should give them a reality check to understand that quality and value now go hand and hand and people are not gonna buy blindly on badge value.

GM looks like is being run by their competitors who are hell bent to see them fail. I mean Hyundai and others get their global best sellers here and GM is trying to sell their older generation cars and are still harping on third world cars for third world market kind of mentality. The sooner they realize this the better or they are surely going the Fiat way and they don't even have the national engine to save them unless they too are a party to the royalty that Fiat gets.

Nissan looks like are in an identity crisis. Almost same product portfolio like Renault and still their sales are no where near that of Renault even if we remove the Kwid from the equation.

VW and Skoda still have done nothing to improve A.S.S and this shows in their numbers. No use having world class cars that are unreliable and cost a bomb to repair and making the customers suffer.

Last edited by SPARKled : 13th July 2016 at 15:19.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 17:47   #56
BHPian

Nice report!

The biggest surprise for me is the Innova Crysta. 8000+ units is not a small number for a costly MPV like this one! Bidadi might be far, but I can hear the cash registers at Toyota ringing loudly! It shows how much reputation the previous car has built over the years it was on sale.

Honda: My favourite brand, but unfortunately, it's downhill for them. Many members have pointed towards their arrogant attitude and this needs to change. Ironically, aren't the Japanese known for their humility? Sad to see that things have not changed as I remember how the sales guy bashed the Vento when I mentioned it as an alternative to the City about an year ago. The iDTEC was too little too late and the "production reshuffle" excuse is not going to work. How much time does one need to increase the petrol variant production?
The products are competitive. They just need an extra touch of interior quality and the sales experience. I still believe that Honda, if run properly, can dethrone Hyundai to take the #2 spot in the Indian market.

Fiat: I won't bash them. They are earning a good amount in royalty, so why take the pain to sell cars! On the other hand, if I were in the FIAT management, I'd see the current situation as a good opportunity. Thin dealer network means it would be easy to train the sales and service personnel and then go full out on a new product onslaught.

GM: Time to wrap up and quit India as they did with Opel.

Nissan : Another case of great but ageing product line, now with more confusion. Datsun- Go, Go+ , RediGo. Coming up next is StediGo and finally, they will "Go" out of the Indian market.
If I were Nissan, I'd accept that I made a mistake with Datsun, kill the brand and focus on the Nissan product lineup and make it a premium alternative to Renault.

Renault. The Kwid is a blockbuster. More than Maruti, the guys at Hyundai must be scratching their heads; their Eon never saw that kind of sales in its lifetime! But one strong product is all they have and they need to either axe the duds and focus on fewer products or lose the show.

Ford : Am happy to see the sales figures go up and I believe it's due to the effort put into the marketing that has clicked. Personally, I'm waiting for the all new Fiesta to shake up the C segment Sedan space.
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 13:14   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The big jump in Ritz sales is because of Maruti's positioning as a Taxi car. Lots of ads on Radio (Say Tata Bye Bye to your old car, get Maruti Ritz for Rs. 5.9 lacs)
Yes Maruti has launched a Ritz Tour version on the lines of the Dzire Tour. Bare bones car without a tachometer or even a fuel gauge,
Target customer is the taxi aggregator market.

Last edited by Baddychat : 16th July 2016 at 13:20. Reason: typo. grammar.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 14:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

June 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Yes Maruti has launched a Ritz Tour version on the lines of the Dzire Tour. Bare bones car without a tachometer or even a fuel gauge,

How would anyone know if the car is running out of fuel? Are you sure on this? If this is true , someone at Maruti needs a check up.
Edit-probably the missing gauge maybe the temperature gauge and not the fuel gauge.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 17th July 2016 at 14:01.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 18:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Only the giraffe antler shaped tachometer pod is gone. The fuel gauge is a digital one and a fairly accurate one. I can't imagine that it is gone as well.
Old 19th July 2016, 13:58   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I happened to visit the Maruti dealership at my city today regarding delivery of the Celerio that i had booked last week.

The sales manager(a good friend of mine, and this will be my 7th Maruti car from the same dealer in past 14 years) handed me the sheet that had info about the number of different models booked in July, but are yet to be delivered.

The list was surprising-

Brezza - 33
Ciaz - 15
Dzire - 51 (half of them were cab tour version)
Swift - 20
Celerio - 9
Alto k10- 9
Alto 800 - 6
Ritz - 4
Wagon R - 7
Ertiga - 20

Surprisingly the million rupee models (Ciaz, brezza and ertiga) were all in the ZDI/ZXI models. Brezza has a strong demand.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks