Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 18:42   #16
BHPian

Re: June 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks Aditya for the much awaited monthly sales numbers .

Few observations from my side -

1. At first glance, Maruti has lost close to 20K units sales across all models due to fire accident, but the shocking news is that S-Cross's 110 units and Ritz' 4682 units. Any specific reason on the spurt in sales of Ritz?

2. Good initial numbers for Redi-Go and if it kept climbing it can easily beat Eon's numbers which has really started losing steam now. So near yet so far for Kwid to that magical 10K numbers.

3. Happy to see Tiago's & KUV100's numbers - Tiago surely is a better car overall and good that it started showing in the monthly sales too. Surprisingly all the Tata cars have done reasonably well this month - is this effect of increase in footfalls in the showrooms due to Tiago? Also, I don't know what purpose does the old-gen i10 serve in Hyundai's line-up, since already Grand i10 is threatening the segment leader Swift's sales, there is no point in keeping this old product in their portfolio.

4. Innova Crysta has absolutely hit the jackpot and see the numbers - which is enviable even to the entry level A segment hatchbacks. Toyota must be minting their money with Fortuner back to its old numbers and Corolla putting other C segment sedans to sane, with Camry and Landcruiser completing their premium portfolio. Why would they even bother about the other segments when all of their premium offerings are a massive hit in relative terms.

5. Creta is still continuing its bull run going past Brezza too and Ecosport has made a comeback of sorts. But compared to Innova's success, Creta seems so small. Duster regaining some of its old mojo, but sad to see the state of Terrano - not sure how Nissan is surviving with this amount of sales.

6. Ertiga has taken a bad hit - is this due to Maruti's production issue or due to Innova or BRV's effect?

7. Ford & Tata - both have done very good numbers across their products, I think this has to do with Maruti's production constraints rather than the actual numbers. I would be happy to be proven wrong next month.

8. Quite contrastingly we have Honda & Mahindra who have dropped numbers in the same month. City has regained the crown from Ciaz for this month, but looks like the entire C2 segment sedans have taken a quite a beating due to the arrival of all these Compact / Pseudo SUV's.

9. Elite i20 finally showing some weakness, but with Baleno too down, i20 is still the segment leader. The surprise is the numbers of Polo which has comfortably beaten Jazz and this is second consecutive month this has happened, last time it was by a whisker.

10. Surprisingly Grand i10 also become the segment leader this month beating Swift's sales which has after a long time fallen below 10K mark - the last time it happened was way back in Sep '12 when Swift sold "only" 9136 units.

11. Amaze's case is really curious, it seems the numbers are on downward trend ever since the facelift has arrived. People were lapping it up the pre-facelift version but when a better facelift (in relative terms) arrives, it has gone down that too alarmingly. Interesting, both Aspire and Zest has sold more than Amaze when both Jun & Jul numbers are combined. Let's see what Ameo brings to the segment - my guess is that it will hit Aspire & Zest the most than the others.

12. The old workhorse Bolero has steadily losing the numbers - it has sold just 3700 odd units which was once selling 10K units consistently month after month. This surely is the sign of changing times and looks like almost all the cars from M&M's stable has suffered this month.
jpcoolguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 20:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Many times its essential to clean house as far as businesses go.. by that I mean products that do not sell must be cancelled or withdrawn. This not only makes the industry more efficient but it'll also make the choices that much more obvious to the end buyer than risk going for a product that simply doesn't sell and in turn suffer from poor support and regrets later on. There are a few products that simply must be stopped by the following manufacturers :

1) Mahindra Quanto : With a dispatch of a literally round figure of 0, its about time to close the production. KUV is enough to tackle the entry sub-4 metre class of "SUV" so to speak. Quanto looks ridiculous to most eyes.

2) Nissan Evalia : Again 0 is the monthly dispatch and the 2 months prior to that read as 0 and 1 respectively. Even at its peak sales its not going to top double digits.

3) Renault Koleos : Four months of ducks, time to be dropped from the team.

4) Skoda Yeti : The facelift is heavily overpriced compared to its previous shape, that's the reason that the facelift is never to be seen and is selling at single digits monthly. Yeti made good sense at sub-20 lakhs on road which it was a few years back.. there are much better options in the 25 lakh range.

5) TATA Aria : Surprisingly TATA dispatched 14 units last month.. the 5 months prior to that have a grand total of 2. This has to be cut out for sure.

I've not included imports and/or models which sell double digits consistently (like Rexton, Santa Fe, Landcruiser etc) in the above list as most of them have a price range of 25+ lakh and are expected to perform more or less in tune with current sales.

As for overall analysis, the trend is pretty much in line with average monthly sales save for some slight changes here and there. Chevrolet is barely managing to stay afloat thanks to the Tavera (cabbie favourite) and Beat. Fiat is getting its due sales.. nothing more can be expected with 2 products, yes the Avventura and Abarth are still Puntos with different tuning or cladding/sticker job. Great products they maybe but time to bring in the latest Tipo shape in both hatchback and sedan forms.

The only capable product of Honda is the city and the same is shown in sales. Toyota and Mahindra are riding the big car wave as the population lusts after them. Skoda and VW are either a hit or miss during most months, I don't expect the Ameo to do any wonders at all. TATA is at five primarily due to commercial/taxi sales, the Tiago has gotten a start but is more or less flat-lining in that position.

Hyundai and Suzuki.. well, what can I say other than number 2 and 1 respectively. Hyundai will have to up their game much more in ownership experience, nationwide dealerships and entry level models if they need to put up more of a fight by pulling the Suzuki customers towards them. Alto and Dzire are the 2 models that are putting Suzuki over the top (30k cars), without them the positions will switch instantly.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 21:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post

1. At first glance, Maruti has lost close to 20K units sales across all models due to fire accident, but the shocking news is that S-Cross's 110 units and Ritz' 4682 units. Any specific reason on the spurt in sales of Ritz?
I guess it's the taxi market, at least in Hyderabad. I've seen a lot of new LDis with temporary plates plus a number of brand new yellow plate Ritz of late.
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 21:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Toyota - But none of the other cars to write about in sales numbers.
You may want to glance over and check Fortuner's numbers and compare them with the new Endy.
Old 11th July 2016, 22:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Beats me why Nano shows plummeting sales. I should have thought that with its improved looks and AMT, it would be perceived as the ideal city car.
Good to see Tiago being well received.
Old 11th July 2016, 22:42   #21
BHPian

Chevrolet - Spoke to this friend of mine who also takes care of product pricing at Chevrolet. He mentioned that no new products are in the pipeline for now. Next new product is Cruze that too only sometime next year. With GM's deal with SAIC for the sale of its Halol plant falling apart and reintroduction of Tavera, the near future seems weak for GM. The same is being reflected in their nos.

Ford (its American counterpart) has managed to do relatively well with its lowest realization product selling more volumes than GM's combined portfolio (refer to the June month data). With more Endy's on the road and the new Fortuner expected to cost a zillion bucks more than the current model, Ford may make a home run soon.

Maruti - Ritz as mentioned by others has caught up sales largely in the taxi segment. Its a complete value for the drivers as its cheaper and more spacious than the Swift/Grand i10. Also, with Maruti offering deep discounts on this car, it has become a favorite for the ola/uber drivers around the Delhi-NCR region, where owning a diesel taxi is becoming a hassle. The dip in S Cross and lower Brezza sales could purely be a plant shutdown caused by a fire at one of Suzuki's OEM's providing Air Conditioning units. With competition offering much more, I don't see any value in Swift now, whose diesel model is also on discount now.

Tata - Tiago's increasing presence on road these days is the testimony to its amazing value resulting into volumes. For a change, I'm yet to see a commercially registered Tiago. It seems, buyers are taking Tata seriously now. The segment has seen dominance of only Japs and Koreans so far and I'm hopeful for Tata here.

Mahindra has to do something to cope up with the disputed diesel ban. While Germans may be able to escape with the proposed environmental cess (by the Supreme court), Mahindra will face tough times given the segment (price position) it targets.

Will try and publish the sales nos. for the quarter by this weekend
MacBa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 00:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Brilliant work by you!! I have one request to make for the whole teambhp team. Nowadays automatic car sales has increased exponentially when compared to few years back, I would request to have a separate section for automatic cars. It will help us to understand sales data of automatic segment easily.
smrutisourav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 01:16   #23
BHPian

Just wondering what could be the reason behind Fortuner's sudden surge in the month of June, almost double the number of vehicles sold compared to that of May.
Old 12th July 2016, 01:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Vitara Breeza and the Ford Ecosport have been included in the C2 category vehicle sale trends.
Shouldn't they be listed in the C1 category as they both sub-four meter vehicles and are too small to be listed under C2 ?
Old 12th July 2016, 09:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Lack of sales of Maruti models has to attributed to fire at MSIL's vendor. I think MSIL should be more or less back on track.

I'm surprised that Toyota is 4th with all their products under INR 10 lakhs not really contributing a lot. Fortuner is still selling 9xx units. I'm not sure where Toyota will place the new Fortuner.

Nissan seems to be competing with Datsun. I think healthy internal competition brings good results. They should introduce the Datsun 510 to get volumes. My respect for the brand has gone up after hearing about the 510. *Report coming soon*

Sad to see Ford and Tata not doing as well as I expected them to do. Only Tiago seems to picking up volumes.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 09:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Beats me why Nano shows plummeting sales. I should have thought that with its improved looks and AMT, it would be perceived as the ideal city car.
Good to see Tiago being well received.
I see the falling numbers of Nano as a result of saturation in the market.
A majority of the demand for GenX Nano is for Automatic variants and there's a certain upper limit for that demand because not everyone is looking for a second car or a car exclusively for office commuting.
And sadly people who want "All Rounded Package" don't see Nano as an alternative.

Secondly, there has been a case of an accident at TML plant in Sanand which might have affected the production a bit or Nano might have been sidelined to accommodate the tidal wave demand for Tiago.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 10:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBa View Post

Tata - Tiago's increasing presence on road these days is the testimony to its amazing value resulting into volumes. For a change, I'm yet to see a commercially registered Tiago.
I do not think Tata has opened Commercial bookings for Tiago. May be in 2017. So, you may not be able to see Commercially registered Tiago.
Old 12th July 2016, 10:44   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
I was wondering of the numbers of Ameo. As it is not mentioned there, does it mean that it is yet to reach showrooms?
I believe Ameos were dispatched to dealers only last week. You should see the car make its debut on these charts next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrutisourav View Post
I would request to have a separate section for automatic cars.
Manufacturers are currently not providing the breakup for petrol:diesel or manual:automatic. When they do, you can be sure that we'll include that data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Just wondering what could be the reason behind Fortuner's sudden surge in the month of June, almost double the number of vehicles sold compared to that of May.
Could be either one of the two (or a little bit of both):

1. Toyota suppressed the Fortuner's production last month as the Innova Crysta was a top priority.

2. Whenever showroom traffic increases, similar products gain. Toyota dealerships have had tremendous footfalls due to the Innova Crysta. Could be that some customers though "hmmm, instead of paying 25 lakhs for a van, let me pay a little more for an SUV".
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 10:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

One important aspect to look upon here is that Toyota is doing these numbers with Innova despite the NCR ban, which is one of the bigger markets for it as a brand and Innova in particular as a product. Also we can add the Ford Endeavour to that list.

What is Chevrolet doing? Zero sales, dead portfolio and no future plans either. I am sure this way they will be sooner or later losing all their goodwill amongst the dealerships too. They don't even have enough cars on road to possibly sustain their dealerships on after sales revenue.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 10:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Any specific reason on the spurt in sales of Ritz?
Also, I don't know what purpose does the old-gen i10 serve in Hyundai's line-up, since already Grand i10 is threatening the segment leader Swift's sales, there is no point in keeping this old product in their portfolio.
The explanation to both these points is common - taxi market. Ritz is finding favour in the Taxi market (conventional as well as Uber/Ola category), so is the i10. Santro was the erstwhile favorite car of Mumbai's Kaali-Peeli taxis. After it was discontinued, a lot of i10s are being bought as taxis now.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks