Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2016, 10:58   #31
BHPian

Re: June 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Just wondering what could be the reason behind Fortuner's sudden surge in the month of June, almost double the number of vehicles sold compared to that of May.
Three months before, they were selling at 800 - 900 per month. Prospective buyers might have postponed their purchase due to the impending launch of the Crysta. They probably wanted to see it in the flesh to chose between the two (Crysta and the Fortuner). I guess that added to its numbers this month.
Old 12th July 2016, 11:01   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Eye openers in the luxury car sales:

-A4 outsells the 3 series by 3 times even though it is on it's way out ! The 3 is a far better product, Audi must be dishing out some serious discounts to sell almost as much as the far superior C-class

-S outsells the 7 by 3 times too. I am not surprised here.

-The Cayanne outsells the X5 by nearly 50% and costs more than 50% more!

Moral of the story: BMW is yet getting thrashed in every segment.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 11:06   #33
BHPian

My Observation about Ford revival is due to aggressive marketing specially through TV Ads and social media. I think people are getting aware of brand Figo and its new products and services...I think sales may increase in coming months.

Last edited by nilpat : 12th July 2016 at 11:08.
Old 12th July 2016, 11:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Moral of the story: BMW is yet getting thrashed in every segment.
Your observations are spot on.
Audi has been tremendously aggressive in disposing its older stocks, cars used for test drives etc. they give upto 12 lakhs discount on these types of vehicles. In my humble opinion, this could have added to the numbers. The sales and marketing strategists of Audi showrooms are much more tenacious.
Having worked in audi and bmw variants, personally would prefer a Bimmer if I could afford one.
However, feel the management of BMW is a little straight jacket type.

not sure, but the MBRDI center in Bangalore might have helped in reduction of costs and increase in localization of certain parts (eg. common rail components, Satnav - thanks to make in india push), that could have made Mercs more attractive from a cost stand point (?).

Last edited by FuelInjector : 12th July 2016 at 11:16.
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 11:16   #35
BHPian

I understood from the above comments that drop in sales for Maruti is due to manufacturing issues - so that question is out of the way.
But Hyundai - what is the reason for the drop?

TATA : Tiago sales are understandable - TATA is beginning to understand mass market mindset and played well. We have to give it them - it's not easy to get into this segment with a new product and find good number of buyers, inspite of not-so great legacy. Tiago preference by buyers worries me though - the choice of 4-cylinder engine cars is going to go down?

What about the Vista and Manza? Surely the rise in sales is neither because of Maruti's short-term issues nor of eating into Hyundai/Mahindra numbers?
Old 12th July 2016, 11:19   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
1. At first glance, Maruti has lost close to 20K units sales across all models due to fire accident, but the shocking news is that S-Cross's 110 units and Ritz' 4682 units. Any specific reason on the spurt in sales of Ritz?

5. Creta is still continuing its bull run going past Brezza too and Ecosport has made a comeback of sorts.

6. Ertiga has taken a bad hit - is this due to Maruti's production issue or due to Innova or BRV's effect?

10. Surprisingly Grand i10 also become the segment leader this month beating Swift's sales which has after a long time fallen below 10K mark - the last time it happened was way back in Sep '12 when Swift sold "only" 9136 units.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-affected.html

Maruti sales are mostly affected due to the above production issue and nothing else. No use comparing Maruti data against others for this month.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 11:25   #37
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the numbers Aditya! Rated it a well deserved 5 stars

It's not every month you see MSIL drop a whopping 7%. There have been numerous posts and comments about the Fire which affected sales. Not sure if the planned maintenance which was advanced also resulted in this much reduction. But One thing is for sure that MSIL is going to be back stronger in July and I somehow feel they will cross 50% market share before the festival season itself.

With Such a huge drop for a market leader, there is an obvious question as to who eats that piece of cake. Here is the most interesting part.

Hyundai -- In any business, if marker leader suddenly drops the lead by this much, the immediate beneficiary would always be the direct competitor or second in command. Alas that is not the case here and that is the most worrying aspect IMHO. Not only did they not eat that piece of cake, they lost part of their own piece of cake. Even though they have not lost the market share in statistics, their numbers went below 40K for the first time in 6 months! A drop of 1500 vehicles is usually not a big deal, but here there was scope to have a big pie of 20K vehicles and they could not utilize it. It is not the case that they are currently in maximum production capacity. I think their marketing team were caught sleeping. It also shows another face of Indian consumer. If a prospective customer is not able to get a MSIL car, then they are not running away to Hyundai showrooms. They are slowly becoming aware of other good vehicles as well.

Mahindra -- Worrying times ahead for third place Mahindra. Their veteran Bolero is dying a slow death which is unavoidable. Their Flagship Scorpio and XUV are not showing any signs of energy and everything else is a big flop. If not all, it makes sense to stop at least some of those models. Need to draw up some plans else they are going to be knocked out from their third place podium.

The Next Third Spot --Interesting times ahead indeed. It will be a close battle to see who is going to topple Mahindra in the next 6 months.
My money is going to be on Renault with Kwid slowly emerging out to become a well deserved blockbuster! MSIL better come up with something to counter else your Alto is definitely going to be toppled from its top spot sooner or later. The worrying factor for Renault is that all others barring Duster are disasters! Duster certainly was capable for doing better numbers especially since Ecosport is giving Brezza a tough run. After all they were the first in the segment.

Toyota definitely knows to create a stunning car and fulfil the promise of loyalty shown by the customers. It's a shame they can't do it with any other car. People are ready to buy a bad car from MSIL or Hyundai but not from Toyota. Goes to show how Indian customers are treating them.

Tata definitely is not going to be in Top 3 in near future. Not with just Tiago! Feel sad to see that marketing team still has no clue how to sell cars. They have sold close to 12k Tiago and have another 12k Bookings. Why can't that be made to a big news? Why can't they Thank the consumers for the confidence shown and create an awareness out of it.

Ford-- Is it too early to be happy that Ford finally waking up from It's long slumber? I sincerely hope they maintain this upward growth and ensure respectable numbers for the well deserved Aspire.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 11:31   #38
BHPian

First Creta's consistent 8k number was a surprise to me. Now more surprised with this new innova.

Considering the mid/high spec costs above 20 lac, I wonder who these buyers are. It cant be from the taxi segment. I thought it wont be received well in the non taxi segment considering the taxi image it carries. They should have named it just Crysta instead of Innova Crysta. But that hasn't happened.

I think most of the buyers must be people who already have old Innova and are now upgrading to this. Just saw an email in my friend's circle that a person is looking to sell his old Innova to buy Crysta.

Last edited by GTO : 13th July 2016 at 10:19. Reason: Poorly typed post
adithya.kp is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th July 2016, 11:55   #39
BHPian

This month sales figures show some interesting trends.

Sales of Honda city have come down drastically and settled at about 3k from its usual 5k territory.

Elite I20 sees substantial fall in its sales during July 2015. Although, it maintains healthy numbers but still Hyundai may be happier if the sales resurrect during July.

Glad to see the upsurge in sales of the Ecosport and the Aspire / Figo twins this month. This might bring some temporary respite to the sales team. Its time Ford gets up from the couch and takes up some aggressive marketing or else they may end up seeing harder times once again. Competition has grown up with Brezza and BRV standing right there to take customers away.

Kwid continues its success story, the sales have reached 9k region where it is ideally going to stay for some more time. Engineers at Renault can be sure to get fat incentives this year. Duster seems to have settled at around 2K mark.

The steep fall in Maruti numbers is understandable and may be in a month or two the production will be stabilized and witness normal dispatches once again.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 12:04   #40
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th July 2016 at 10:21.
josebi is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th July 2016, 12:13   #41
BHPian

It is good to see the market showing some faith to Figo twins, they both deserve 4000units per month. C2 segment sedans are on an all time low.I wish the manufacturers up the game in this segment.
Old 12th July 2016, 12:35   #42
BHPian

Luxury car sales for June'16

June 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-lc1.jpg

June 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-lc.jpg

# Mercedes sells more cars than Fiat, Nissan and Skoda
# BMW isn't showing any signs of competing with Merc and Audi selling only 60% of what the other 2 have managed
# C class is the largest selling luxury car followed by A4 and E class

http://www.autopunditz.com/
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 12:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the Tiago selling at around 4k, and the Figo twins finally finding more homes.
One thing I cannot fathom is why the Brio sells so less - we bought a new Brio last month in the house, and though I have spent limited time driving it, the Brio is a well rounded nice car. Good drivability, nice AC , all 4 power windows, music system, electric mirrors, comfortable over potholes - the S variant cost us 5.4 lakhs on road. Certainly deserves much more than the 300 odd cars sold last month.
Also - why is FIAT missing the bus every single time? Can anything rescue them? or for that matter, do they at all want to get out of the hole themselves?
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 13:42   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford Aspire's rise could also be partly attributed to the taxi segment. I am seeing more and more yellow board Aspires here. Just today morning spotted 2 cars in a 10 minute interval.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 14:19   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareesh3395 View Post
It is good to see the market showing some faith to Figo twins, they both deserve 4000units per month. C2 segment sedans are on an all time low.I wish the manufacturers up the game in this segment.
The under 4m preferred policy seems to be taking effect now. The under 4m segment has stretched upto 10 lakhs and has swallowed up the C2 segment.

People are comfortable buying top end Jazz, Baleno, i20 instead of not so great sedans. They'll bump upto Creta & XUV500 into the D segment if they want to 'upgrade '. And in that territory SUVs are the preferred choice.

Ciaz is the the only sedan killing it. Other than the City.

City/Corolla will always have their loyal following though.

I like the direction the market is moving into. The 'small but premium' is here to stay. And the Japanese and Koreans are the best at that.

Last edited by GTO : 13th July 2016 at 10:24. Reason: Formatting
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks