Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:01   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

Very tough to retain good sales and marketing people these days. Once you spend on their training, they are gone! Competitors keep an eye out for them. Design team is all guns blazing, but it's the bean counters who put the brakes on features. And then its a circle with 'Marketing' getting the blame. The KRAZ Edition 1 was lapped up by the market (just our city Bangalore has so many), prompting them to launch KRAZ 2. Frankly, it's a much better effort than Maruti's sticker jobs. Strictly my opinion! Product lifecycle is 2 years for Nexon, with the new model coming out FY1, 2020. This is pretty good. Hexa got a shot in the arm with a new Automatic launch, yes...Tiago lags. Tata Motors is on a good wicket, they should avoid possible duds like Altroz and Buzzard. And do more market research (also listen to customers), as gaps are plenty. Their 'post-sale' service standards definitely needs some 'introspection'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
sales and marketing folks don't belong to the modern era. Your design team doesn't seem to understand modern needs like a panoramic roof, an automatic gearbox, mood lighting and a great touch screen. They believe that painting neon orange and green over black and calling it crazy edition will produce crazy sales. Your production team can't reduce nvh of a borrowed engine (harrier). Your management doesn't understand product life cycles, no facelift on the Hexa, Nexon or a Tiago yet.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:34   #167
BHPian

It seems TATA is being conservative here in not pushing too much wholesale units. There could be multiple reasons for this like for example the Tiago, Tigor and Nexon are due for a facelift with BS6 engines by the end of this year. And they wouldn't want a lot of unsold BS4 stock at their dealer's stockyards.
Even the Altroz got postponed because they wanted to launch it with BS6 compliant engines.
Expecting that there will be a lot of excitement in TATA showrooms from Jan 2020 onwards with comprehensive facelifts of their volume sellers like Tiago and Nexon as well as launching of products like Nexon EV, Altroz, Harrier AT, Buzzard.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-screenshot-20191003-10.16.32-am.png  

damodar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:05   #168
BHPian

In the recent years I have not faced any serious issue with the sales and service part. I have been owning Tata cars since 2005 ans have seen significant improvements in all aspects of the service area.

Also, the perception of TML in the market is changing. In the last 2-3 years, we are seeing so many private owners opting for tata cars. Even my colleagues, who once were absolutely critical about TML, are now having tata cars into their considerations. This is big positive and TML should make the most of this by bringing something novel into their models. A very good car from Maruti will make decent numbers for a long period even if it doesn't look great or doesn't have cutting edge features. But the same may not be true for Tata Cars.

My view is that Tata is not able to capitalize on the positive changes in buyers views. Tiago & Nexon are doing good numbers in the recent months and even otherwise they have a very good product line. However, in India owning a new car still has lot of aspirational value and a proud moment. Most buyers will either want to stick with stable brands (perceived) or want something totally new, something the mass market doesnt have e.g. MG/Kia, especially in this sluggish market. TML doesn't have the strong reputation of the former and they are also not coming gun blazing with later. Of course a Tata Car is in consideration for my next upgrade, but this time I am also looking for something new when I am spending hard earned money.

I like Harrier and if it comes with auto Box in the next 6 months, I am willing to seriously consider despite of the initial niggles etc. I am not too much worried about it as I know it will get sorted and knowing TML they will resolve it sooner or later. However if the equipment list and novelty does not match (leave aside exceed) the competition at that price point, it may drop out of my shortlist soon.

Here is an example of changes in perception. One of my friend has been totally negative of TML for many years and he has always been making fun of me for owning a tata car. However when he saw harrier he had all the praises for it. So much so that after TD of Hector when I was considering to book it, he was very vocal about waiting for Harrier AT rather than booking Hector straightaway!
varman742 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 09:10   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hexa got a shot in the arm with a new Automatic launch,
Sorry for going OT. May I know which new automatic launch are you talking about ? The only update Hexa ever got was the music system upgrade to android auto.
Old 4th October 2019, 11:33   #170
Senior - BHPian

Recall reading it recently on the Hexa thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Sorry for going OT. May I know which new automatic launch are you talking about ? The only update Hexa ever got was the music system upgrade to android auto.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:32   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors continues its dismal show, aims at being Nr. 3 but in reality reaches 6th.

KIA with one product climbs up and is very close to reaching Nr. 3.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 3916
Size:  8.7 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd December 2019 at 07:34.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 14:55   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Motors continues its dismal show, aims at being Nr. 3 but in reality reaches 6th.
IMO, this is purely due to Tata motors not heeding to customers needs. I agree it's not as easy as said for the manufacturers to satisfy all the customers requirements. But, when compared to the competition, Tata motors seems to be miles behind them. Despite Nexon being the only 5 star rated car till date it is lagging way behind Venue and the reason I could think of is only 'gizmos'. Harrier loses to competition due to the very same reason. If Tata motors don't keep up the pace with the latest trends, I'm very sure their new Altroz and Gravitas will have to face the same wrath.
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:27   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

A convoy of Tata test mules were caught on camera on the Solapur highway by our friendly neighbourhood Autospy.

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-gr1.jpg

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-gr2.jpg

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-ti3.jpg

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-ti4.jpg

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-ti5.jpg

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-ti6.jpg

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-ti7.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 19:53   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

TATA is still behind Mahindra's in Jan-20 sales:

Mahindra : 19794 ( 17 % negative Y-O-Y)

TATA : 13894 ( 35 % Negative in Y-O-Y)

Quote:
Tata Motors Altroz was launched last month. The company says its new hatchback has a good order book in 10 days of launch, and the manufacturer is prepping for deliveries. Booking numbers have not as yet been revealed. Car manufacturers usually reveal booking numbers post the launch or even before the launch. Altroz and Nexon EV booking numbers are still a secret.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st February 2020 at 19:54.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 20:15   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

TATA Motors is likely to be Nr. 3 in Feb-20 sales as Mahindra sales tumbles in view of its readiness to BSVI as well as the effect of COVID-19.

Both the companies de-grew at a massive rate, with TATA Motors being a bit lesser in the de-growth.

TATA Motors @ de-growth of 31 per cent (Y-O-Y) at 12,430 units

Mahindra @de-growth of 58% at 10,938 units

Sources:Sales data @ET

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st March 2020 at 20:25.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:00   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
TATA Motors is likely to be Nr. 3 in Feb-20 sales as Mahindra sales tumbles in view of its readiness to BSVI as well as the effect of COVID-19.

--
Tata is Nr. 4 in Feb-20, as KIA takes the coveted 3rd spot. KIA's numbers are 15,644 well ahead of the TATA's.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 15:58   #177
BHPian

With the Altroz picking sales, hoping that tata would climb up to 3rd rank in Feb sales.

It is interesting to note that Tata's hatchback releases are somehow revolving around the global virus outbreaks.
Soon after Altroz release they must be prepared now to face a stiff market situation ahead due to COVID-19.

Zica outbreak in the past coincided with Tata's kite project launch which forced them to change the name of their hatch from Zica to Tiago just before its release.
However, Tiago happened to be a success with decent sales numbers
Old 2nd March 2020, 16:07   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Tata is Nr. 4 in Feb-20, as KIA takes the coveted 3rd spot. KIA's numbers are 15,644 well ahead of the TATA's.

[]
And it’s commendable considering that Kia managed it with only one model on sale. As per the latest numbers they replicated and even bettered what they managed in Jan 20
Old 2nd March 2020, 17:15   #179
BHPian

What a stunning show by KIA!

Though this might change in coming months in the short run, this is exactly what is going to happen in the long run with Hyundai and Kia growing together and reducing everyone in and around them into absolute nothings. Though they cannot overtake MSIL in the next 5 years, they just are going to combine their strength and give an incredible fight to MSIL. With miscalculating the BS VI diesel timelines, having no proper AT boxes and sudden awareness for safety of cars thanks to TATA and Hyundai, the sudden partnership with Toyota makes total sense now as they need TECH from big daddy to fight this onslaught. Whoever thought this through in the MSIL camp and convinced to join hands with Toyota definitely deserves an applause.
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 21:52   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

In a dismal performance (as expected) by all Auto Companies in March-20, Tata Motors this time falls behind Toyota!

Name:  12.PNG
Views: 1026
Size:  49.2 KB

Source:Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks