Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2020, 23:08   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
sudden awareness for safety of cars thanks to TATA and Hyundai
We can understand Tata but what is the contribution of Hyundai in the safety awareness.
NICHE is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:06   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
In a dismal performance (as expected) by all Auto Companies in March-20, Tata Motors this time falls behind Toyota!

Attachment 1987085

Source:Auto Punditz
Kia has disrupted the industry. Once they launch the Sonet, Tata and Mahindra can fight it out for the fourth spot.
Old 7th April 2020, 13:35   #183
BANNED

Mahindra retains third position in PV sales during FY20 beating Tata Motors

Mahindra & Mahindra sold 1,86,978 units in FY 2019-20 as compared to 1,31,197 units of Tata Motors, a healthy gap of 43%.

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-3rd-position.png
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 14:43   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Kia has disrupted the industry. Once they launch the Sonet, Tata and Mahindra can fight it out for the fourth spot.

I think people will start to see very soon that Kia and Hyundai are practically one company. The identical power trains, closley stacked launches of like-for-like products, pricing that is almost exactly equal, etc. are dead giveaways. I know there is some differentiation in exterior looks and interior layouts, but that is about it. The roominess, ergonomics etc. are difficult to differntiate in prodcuts built on the same platform and powertrains.

So in effect, I think Kia and Hyundai will merge closer in terms of customer perception. When a prospective buyer is making the chocice of their next car, they are likely to consider Hyundai/Kia as one product set and make choices of these product-twins vis-a-vis other products. What this means IMO, is that Kia will not be bringing in significant incremental sales, but it will rather spread out the sales of this product set across two brands - Mainly becuase it does not have a distinct personality or value proposition.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 7th April 2020 at 14:45.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 15:22   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I think people will start to see very soon that Kia and Hyundai are practically one company. The identical power trains, closley stacked launches of like-for-like products, pricing that is almost exactly equal, etc. are dead giveaways. I know there is some differentiation in exterior looks and interior layouts, but that is about it. The roominess, ergonomics etc. are difficult to differntiate in prodcuts built on the same platform and powertrains.

So in effect, I think Kia and Hyundai will merge closer in terms of customer perception. When a prospective buyer is making the chocice of their next car, they are likely to consider Hyundai/Kia as one product set and make choices of these product-twins vis-a-vis other products. What this means IMO, is that Kia will not be bringing in significant incremental sales, but it will rather spread out the sales of this product set across two brands - Mainly becuase it does not have a distinct personality or value proposition.
With its blockbuster launch and the ensuring legitimacy, Kia brand is far more likely to find acceptance in the 20-40L price segment than Hyundai. The Carnival has a very good beginning and if it continues the numbers, it can be a credible rival to the Fortuner and Endeavour in the 40L segment. This segment is where the ₹₹₹ are, and this is a club the likes of Maruti, Tata and Mahindra can only dream of being accepted into. This is Hyundai-Kia’s masterstroke. This is what VW-Skoda could have done a decade ago had they been serious. With Honda having lost credibility and with Skoda being reduced to a small player, the field is open.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 22:26   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I
Don't know about sales but the positioning is surely distinct to Hyundai. Looking at their marketing strategy, I don't think Kia is in any mood to ride on the laurels of their sister concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The Carnival has a very good beginning and if it continues the numbers, it can be a credible rival to the Fortuner and Endeavour in the 40L segment.
And I was thinking Kia positioned Carnival in competition to Innova
I will be really surprised if future customers of Fortuner/Endy start buying Carnival. It's a completely different use case altogether.
Old 7th April 2020, 23:19   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post

And I was thinking Kia positioned Carnival in competition to Innova
I will be really surprised if future customers of Fortuner/Endy start buying Carnival. It's a completely different use case altogether.
Only a minuscule percentage of Fortuner and Endeavour buyers buy their steeds for their off road credentials. These cars are sold for their street cred and presence and the fact that they are utilitarian enough to cater to Indian families, conditions and mindsets, while also telling the neighbours you’ve bought a 40L car. Basically, Fortuner is the proverbial ‘Sharmaji ka ladka’ of cars. In that sense, the buyer base of the Carnival and Fortuner will not be too dissimilar. I won’t be surprised if there is plenty of cross shopping.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 7th April 2020 at 23:20.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 00:05   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Only a minuscule percentage of Fortuner and Endeavour buyers buy their steeds for their off road credentials. These cars are sold for their street cred and presence and the fact that they are utilitarian enough to cater to Indian families, conditions and mindsets, while also telling the neighbours you’ve bought a 40L car. Basically, Fortuner is the proverbial ‘Sharmaji ka ladka’ of cars. In that sense, the buyer base of the Carnival and Fortuner will not be too dissimilar. I won’t be surprised if there is plenty of cross shopping.
I think it’s about the buyer base, which on the face of it has low overlap.

Fortuner/Endy - Politicians, macho image loving people, SUV lovers
Carnival - Executives or junta looking for a luxurious people mover (no macho image or SUV love here I assume?)

Maybe there is an answer in near future once we start getting sales numbers in post-Corona time.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 16:35   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Mahindra retains third position in PV sales during FY20 beating Tata Motors

Mahindra & Mahindra sold 1,86,978 units in FY 2019-20 as compared to 1,31,197 units of Tata Motors, a healthy gap of 43%.

Someone must break this huge margins that MS is enjoying, since long time.

My family had a M800 dx with AC. Driving that small car was fun, but as I grew up I realized the safety and comfort essentials missing in the "top 10 selling car in India".

Once we were driving on the highway in summers and the AC was on with 4 people in total. I was afraid of over-taking a truck let alone a car, as there was no power left in that reliable 800cc engine after the AC was turned on.

No offense to the service it has given to India all these times, but this needs to stop. Other manufactures must work to gain more percentages in that share.

What hurts the most is when you are in the market trying to sell your non-Maruti car and the arguments that start coming for no aftermaket value for non-Maruti badges.

I have huge hopes that Altroz will change it for the better.
Ashutosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 14:07   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

As the buying criteria norms change post the Lock-down, TATA Motors claims the 3rd spot in June 2020 sales as Mahindra drops off in numbers!

Maruti Suzuki : 51,274

Hyundai Motors : 21,000

Tata Motors : 11, 419

Mahindra : 8,075

KIA: 7,000

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st July 2020 at 14:09.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 13:28   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
As the buying criteria norms change post the Lock-down, TATA Motors claims the 3rd spot in June 2020 sales as Mahindra drops off in numbers!--
TATA Motors is likely to retain its 3rd position in July-20 sales too as it posts a healthy 15000 units.

Quote:
Tata Motors posted 15,000 units in July 2020 as against 10,485 units during the same period last year with 43 per cent YoY growth

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st August 2020 at 13:31.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 13:56   #192
BHPian

Tata motors wholesale figures are insane , what would be the factors fueling it's industry outpacing growth in the last few months ?

Few observations :

*Fresh line up - They took the BS6 opportunity to revamp,trim the portfolio.Only 5 products on the floor - Refreshed Tiago 2020, Tigor 2020, facelifted Nexon 2020, Nexon EV, Updated Harrier 2020 and all new Altroz.

*Safety Quotient - Tata motors leads the Safety charts with 5 star & 4 star crash ratings.

*Vocal for Local - Somehow it's working for them, I'm seeing a lot of informed guys switching to Tata Motors and being vocal about their products all on a sudden. Tatas must tighten their service network else this will kick you back .

*PR - We are seeing a lot of Tata motors content with YouTubers, other content creators and social media influencers . This is getting a lot of traction, especially in Kerala with these festive season despite the pandemic. It's like if you have a Tata Motors content you will get better reach for your channel, that's the kind of fans right now in Kerala.Once Keralites criticized Tata Motors the most.
TorqueIndia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 14:05   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Industry has bounced back in July 2020, Tata has posted a solid 15000.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-b4cc8c663ce74ca48385be1552f5ffa2.jpeg  

CEF_Beasts is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 20:39   #194
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Homegrown auto giant and the largest Indian automobile company, Tata Motors, has firmly set it's eyes on reclaiming it's number 3 spot in the domestic passenger vehicle market, while being among the top three global commercial vehicle makers by this year-end.

Business Standard
It's been 4 years since the first post on this thread and still TML is struggling to hold onto to the third place, and now with entry of Kia and MG it is only going to be much more difficult for them.

And recently they posted 8,438 crore loss in Q1 FY21 - Link

It is admirable that they are still continuing to do the business despite repeated huge losses, and despite continued and persistent smear campaigns against/on them. Hope they will see the success one day.
wheelguy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 18:31   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors sales distribution among models:-
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-e7b613407ebb48a3a95ce51f4d75c536.jpeg  

CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed