Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2020, 19:32   #196
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

There is a deep sense of pride among us all Indians when it comes to Tata. Coming from the days of the Sierra and Indica, we now have the Harrier and the Altroz. Truly their products have improved leaps & bounds! Yes A.S.S. is nowhere near perfect but they are on the road to improvement.

Special mention to Tata's top seller, the Tiago.
Plucky little hatchback that has prospective Swift & Santro owners thinking twice.

Last edited by John316_WRC : 2nd August 2020 at 19:34. Reason: Added a sentence.
John316_WRC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 19:40   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
It is admirable that they are still continuing to do the business despite repeated huge losses, and despite continued and persistent smear campaigns against/on them. Hope they will see the success one day.

They make loss making decisions like this:
https://wap.business-standard.com/ar...2301738_1.html
Though these decisions are life savers for workers, they are bound to create losses.
I hate to say it, but they need to be a little more money centric thinking. In the end business is business.
Don't take me wrong, I don't mean they need to lower their safety, that is actually becoming one of thier main selling point. But decision to develop two turbo 1.2, a naturally aspirated 1.2, a 1.5 and varicor deisel at same time using 1.3 and 2.0 from fiat, is really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Tata Motors sales distribution among models:-
Typical tata numbers. Nobody know why but it is all they can manage. Seriously I have given up the hope that tata can ever be a major player, even though I love their safety initiative.
YD14 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 19:47   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
despite continued and persistent smear campaigns against/on them. Hope they will see the success one day.
What kind of snear campaigns are we talking about? Make no mistake I too was a huge TATA Motors fan. However, the aftersales still remains pathetic (evidenced by my sister's Tiago), and the recent flopshows in Harrier has led me to question whether they have really improved. Make no mistake, they have improved, but still there is a long way to go, especially in making their cars sell!
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 21:40   #199
BHPian

Surprising to see Nexon selling more than Altroz, is it because Altroz diesel dispatches have not started. If so then petrol only figures are quite good.

XUV300 seems to have lost buyer's interest. Small boot and big price tag surely to blame. I still say after owing the Nexon for 16 months its one of the most rounded packages in the segment.

I kind feel people at TATA either at the company and at the dealership are not proud of the brand and they see this just as a retirement benefit plan. They feel the TATA customer does not deserve the quality or their attention and it shows in their work.
The engineering dept seems the only one with passion in the company.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 22:15   #200
BHPian

With Tata readying to launch 7 more cars soon, sales should further improve - Especially after Harrier Petrol and rumoured HBX model.

Source - https://www.rushlane.com/amp/upcomin...-12370083.html
Old 2nd August 2020, 22:27   #201
BHPian

Quote:
It's been 4 years since the first post on this thread and still TML is struggling to hold onto to the third place, and now with entry of Kia and MG it is only going to be much more difficult for them.
Hope they will see the success one day.
They've reached the podium in June'20 & July'20. We cant ignore this as one off achievement amidst a pandemic. When other manufacturers have lost volume, TATA has gained. I think they are starting to taste success. It may be due to a combination of things like

1. People want to buy Indian
2. Safety has moved up on priority for customers
3. TATA's trimmed portfolio, unlike before, and they are able to concentrate better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
I hate to say it, but they need to be a little more money centric thinking. In the end business is business.
Don't take me wrong, I don't mean they need to lower their safety, that is actually becoming one of thier main selling point. But decision to develop two turbo 1.2, a naturally aspirated 1.2, a 1.5 and varicor deisel at same time using 1.3 and 2.0 from fiat, is really bad.
Agreed. But the current portfolio is well defined segment wise and the respective power trains are good. They need to get ATs during the launch itself and not postpone it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Surprising to see Nexon selling more than Altroz, is it because Altroz diesel dispatches have not started. If so then petrol only figures are quite good.
Yes, the diesel + turbo petrol + ATs will add upto 5K easily. So TATA will have 3 models that can deliver consistently above 5K.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 2nd August 2020 at 22:39.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 07:42   #202
BHPian

Let me also add a few points

Well as other members have stated, the game in India is slowly changing and i hear people talking about safety more often now than earlier. There will soon be a day when this will become a key buying decision point I hope in India.

Why Nexon is doing good ?
- XUV300 does not have a petrol Auto / AMT available
- Ford Ecosports also had Auto TC in the highest trim only until recently
- Safety ratings are an added bonus

Some points for Altroz?
- I see lot many Altroz being dispatched, missing AT and Diesel will only add to sales numbers
- Overall a good package for the price point
- Positioned as Premium Hatchback and currently New Hyundai i20 is not yet available and a good 2 - 3 months away.
- Initial Feedback from Owners has been positive and no major issues reported yet

Tiago / Tigor ?
- have been part of the stable for some time, AMT is a good package in the entry segment of 5 to 7 Lakhs Ex Showroom
- Safety rating of 4* adds to the perceived value

However all the above dynamics will change soon when Hyundai and Mahindra come back with new Models in competition and we will have to wait and watch how things progress.
Mahindra is the King of UV space and TUV300, Scorpio, XUV, New THAR will give them a good boost in their numbers. They have a few launches planned shortly. So the real test of strength will be around the festive season.
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 08:21   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata doing well in these market times would only make it improve if they can capitalize not the momentum.

1. Get Altroz diesel deliveries, which will add volume.
2. Altroz automatic with a sports variant and the Nexon turbo petrol under the hood. Customer get to choose from wide price range along with the auto option.
3. Nexon automatic should carry conventional torque converter or DCT. AMT surely lacks the refined feel in this price bracket, especially when compared to Venue DCT.
4. Another SUV types below the Harrier and above the Nexon.
5. A sedan based on Altroz
6. If they can bring back Safari badge or the Hexa back, can add a few deliveries to the overall numbers.
nkrishnap is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:48   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
4. Another SUV types below the Harrier and above the Nexon.
Need of the hours. Hope they come out soon to fill the vacuum.
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:25   #205
BHPian

Wasn't tata to refrain from giving monthly numbers. Or like a prisoners dilemma, i will show you my numbers only when they work in my favour? Was surprised at the Harrier numbers actually. Nexon & tiago being hatches with an affordable diesels are showing an advantage. The only company which dropped sales despite having capable vehicles is Ford
Also surprised to see maruti successfully managing to maintain the same number without diesel engines.
Old 3rd August 2020, 13:10   #206
BHPian

Tata car are now extremely desirable. Hope they next work on making their range more complete.

1. Nexon already has a 5 star crash rating. An upgrade with 6 airbags should be available for both Nexon and Nexon EV at the earliest to attract frequent highway pliers. The EV may have a range of only 170-180kms. But there are many of us who travel frequently between 50 - 150kms per day on the highway. For them the added safety will make a lot of sense. If Nexon EV had a 6 airbag option i would gladly trade my Ecosport for it, considering the savings i will make. Kona, MG dont have the rear seat comfort of Nexon and are much more expensive.

2. The same would be appreciated for Altroz too, but it is definitely a stronger case for Nexon.

3. Harrier / Gravitas needs a 4wd as soon as they can get it. There are a good number of Compasses sold which are 4wd. Harrier with a good 4wd will make it a no brainer over compass, except for the keenest of drivers.

Lastly they need a total revamp and change in attitude regards sales and service. Yes, my friends who own TATA's are happy with the improved reliability of the cars but service and sales experience still leaves a lot to be desired.
Even with the bad service i will still consider a Harrier 4wd auto as a replacement for my Jetta or a Nexon EV with 6 airbags for replacing my ecosport, if at all they come out with it.
Lastly i will be happy and proud to own Indian especially at this time.
spkrnh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 20:23   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Mahindra is the King of UV space and TUV300, Scorpio, XUV, New THAR will give them a good boost in their numbers. They have a few launches planned shortly. So the real test of strength will be around the festive season.
I dont know- we are focusing so much on TML, it seems to me that Mahindra, have actually lost the plot a bit in the current market place. Apart from their aged warriors Bolero and Scorpio, there doesn't seem to be a single car that can stand out right now. The Thar will not be a mass product no matter what the hype is amongst us enthusiasts. XUV is pushed out to 2021. Unless Mahindra makes a drastic makeover, the XUV will begin to look like what the Safari Storme was in its last few years, sentimental favourite, but not appealing enough as a brand.
Mahindra actually needed a Nexon like product in their lineup, but they ended up creating the TUV300 (too much bulk per-sq.m) or a sub-compact crossover that lacked design imagination (KUV100).

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 3rd August 2020 at 20:29.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 21:13   #208
Senior - BHPian

I think the 3rd position will be shortlived. Kia will overtake them with Sonet by taking away sales from the biggest brand that Tata currently has- The Nexon.

Tata has two good sub brands now - Tiago and Nexon. They should protect and nurture them instead of their typical policy of abandoning brands. They have abandoned too many brands in the last few years. Product lifecycle management is what Tata fails everytime.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 22:32   #209
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
What kind of snear campaigns are we talking about? Make no mistake I too was a huge TATA Motors fan. However, the aftersales still remains pathetic (evidenced by my sister's Tiago), and the recent flopshows in Harrier has led me to question whether they have really improved. Make no mistake, they have improved, but still there is a long way to go, especially in making their cars sell!
Firstly, not writing off your experiences with your sister's Tiago, neither I am saying that everything with TML is super good. That said, surely other manufacturers aren't saints at all, but the criticisms are disproportionate beyond scale.

Every mistake of Tata goes under magnifying glass, is overly criticized, remembered and recalled throughout the product's existence, is given names(half-baked in case of Harrier), is called names even after the improvements. Do we see similar treatment for other manufacturers, let's take Hyundai for example, Creta has brakes issue since years, but it never got names like the one Harrier got. Suppose, if Hyundai has solved the ABS issue, people will just leave it and don't recall it throughout Creta's life like they do for Tata Motors.

On one hand, Hyundai has been arrogant in acknowledging and correcting the Creta's brakes issue, on the other TML quickly realized the shortcomings and promptly did the improvements in Harrier. A manufacturer striving to improve and is improving is any day better than an arrogant manufacturer. Hyundai is also once known as a nigglesome unreliable carmaker in USA before what it became today.

People talk about fanboy-ism, while hateboys calmly go on with their work.

Last edited by wheelguy : 3rd August 2020 at 22:42.
wheelguy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 01:18   #210
BHPian

Tata needs to take a leaf out of Maruti's book. Just the way Maruti separated run of the mill sales and service experience with an upmarket experience at Nexa, Tata needs to launch something similar. This is where they will manage to wow the buyer with their Nexon, Altroz and the Harrier.
Someone in this thread said it rightly, the staff at Tata Motors dealership or service does not seem to be passionate nor proud of where they work..almost like a "Govt. Office"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks