Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2020, 22:25   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors Sep 2020 Sales Is Highest In 8 Years – Record 162% Growth

The seeds of the revival were sown by the late great Karl Slym, and the current management has carried on the good work. I as a happy Hexa owner speak firsthand. Tata Motors has a truly exciting and competent range today. A few holes need to be plugged here and there. But what looked like a doomed ship a few years back is in good shape now, and only getting better. Things will improve once the turbo Altroz and the wet clutch DCT are launched.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 22:34   #227
BHPian

Great going by Tata. Initially few members commented that the Aug'20 sales jump was just because of post-unlock surge. This however, doesn't seem like that. My 2 cents
  • Indo-China clashes and induction of Atmanirbhar Bharath
  • Foreign CEO's - Credit due where it is
  • Exciting vehicles like Hexa & Harrier
  • 5* GNCAP rated vehicles like Altroz & Nexon
  • Nexon EV's is a crowd puller towards Tata
  • Improved quality in Tata vehicles recently

They still have to concentrate on their sales and service team, if done properly, they will beat Korean sisters in no-time.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 22:43   #228
BANNED

What an exciting moment for TATA motors, although it took 8 years to get back to such sales numbers. One has to appreciate those at the helm for keeping faith that once they bring good products, numbers will follow. If the current products were having a Maruti badge the sales would have been at least 50%. Can't blame the ordinary people, because the horror stories were too many. If the company continues products like Altroz, the day is not far when 30,000 to 40,000 sales figures will be a regular affair. I hope with the next product, they come out with proper planning and launch every possible version at the launch, just like Kia has done. Wish to see a proper sedan on Altroz platform, I know that segment is dying but would love to see one with an electric power train option.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 23:23   #229
BHPian

Great show by Tata Motors. Sensible pricing of Gravitas with out niggles, BS6 Hexa will further improve sales for Tata.

I think it’s also time Tata differentiates it’s passenger cars with a more stylish logo and keeps the current one on commercial.
pk1972 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:30   #230

Tata motors has come a long way in terms of safety and design. The sales numbers speak for it. Though I am still skeptical of the niggles that creep up over time that the brand is infamous for. Having suffered multiple clutch and vibration issues in the tata cars in the family. The funny thing is that parts fall off after 5 years but keep on hanging till 15+ years later but work alright. Its the typical Indian way of making things that are just enough to get by with but not really top notch. I really hope I am proven wrong so I can get my hands on one the new ones.
Old 2nd October 2020, 03:11   #231
BHPian

It warms my heart to see Tata doing so well. Even when their products are good, the market reception has been lack luster, this is evident on TBHP itself, when other brands are launching or are planning to launch new cars, threads run quickly into double and at times triple digit, but never for Tata, for example the Altroz Turbo only recently completed 5 pages.
motorpsycho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:00   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

Good going for Tata. My father just asked me about the authenticity of this as someone shared this news over WA with him. I sarcastically told him that it is unlikely but to my surprise it appears to be true. Kudos to Tata for consistently trying to regain the lost market share. All their latest offerings do have a certain appeal for sure.
Having said that, I doubt if they will be able to hold on to the 3rd position for long with KIA breathing down their neck. As things look right now, the top 3 spots are sealed for some time to come by MSIL, Hyundai and KIA.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:51   #233
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Having said that, I doubt if they will be able to hold on to the 3rd position for long with KIA breathing down their neck. As things look right now, the top 3 spots are sealed for some time to come by MSIL, Hyundai and KIA.
Kia may score in terms of sales per model, but Tata has the advantage in terms of the number of models.

The Seltos and Sonet are selling at or quite near their peak capacity at ~ 10k units a month each. Carnival is more of a niche premium product that will sell no more than a few hundreds per month. So Kia's monthly sales number is limited by the number of models they have on offer - just 3.

Tata's individual models may sell less per month than Kia's, but Tata has the advantage in terms of the sheer number of models they have on sale, which is only going to go up further with the introduction of Gravitas & Hornbill and re-introduction of Hexa.

As long as Tata don't do something extremely stupid (like massively hiking all prices), the podium position is theirs to keep, at least for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by RSR : 2nd October 2020 at 10:55.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:25   #234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Tata's individual models may sell less per month than Kia's, but Tata has the advantage in terms of the sheer number of models they have on sale, which is only going to go up further with the introduction of Gravitas & Hornbill and re-introduction of Hexa.
Tata literally takes ages to launch new products from their concept form, and after all that waiting they come with a watered down launch instead of all-guns-blazing launch like Kia. Also, they show a concept, create hype, let the hype die down, and then launch the product in a phased manner. They need to increase their pace and plan the product launches properly. Also look at how Mahindra's Bolero & Scorpio are chugging along with the new launches while Tata let its Sumo & Safari die with time, bad product management I'd say.

By the way, I'm an admirer of TML, wish it manages to sustain the momentum, eagerly waiting for Hornbill and Gravitas launches.

Last edited by wheelguy : 2nd October 2020 at 11:32.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:46   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Kia may score in terms of sales per model, but Tata has the advantage in terms of the number of models.

The Seltos and Sonet are selling at or quite near their peak capacity at ~ 10k units a month each. Carnival is more of a niche premium product that will sell no more than a few hundreds per month. So Kia's monthly sales number is limited by the number of models they have on offer - just 3.
Well if you back a bit before the Covid pandemic begin, the numbers that the CSUV and premium CSUV segments were doing was phenomenal. Both Creta and Venue were doing numbers of 10-15k per month. The Seltos matched these numbers and stayed in close vicinity. The Sonet should be no different and initial response shows the same. So even with just 2 mass market models, KIA is close to the 20k figure and possibly would sell more than that. And hence my statement. Moreover just the addition of 1 more model in their Indian portfolio would certainly put them in the 3rd spot and with some margin.

I really hope Tata can stay at the top of their game and continue to do well.
Old 2nd October 2020, 18:15   #236
BHPian

Here's the model wise breakup of TaMo for September 2020.

Source: https://www.autopunditz.com
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-screenshot_20201002181212__01.jpg  

Last edited by Sudarshan_N : 2nd October 2020 at 18:17.
Sudarshan_N is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 19:19   #237
BHPian

For the curious ones like me, this is how the lineup looked when TaMo last did these numbers. (Highlighted shoddily in red)

From our October 2012 sales page (October 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures)

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-screenshot_20201002191319_chrome.jpg

A complete product revamp is what it took
400notout is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 20:19   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Tata literally takes ages to launch new products from their concept form, and after all that waiting they come with a watered down launch instead of all-guns-blazing launch like Kia. Also, they show a concept, create hype, let the hype die down, and then launch the product in a phased manner.
I am just making a point of my opinion.I really agree with you in terms of what you have said about this strategy but in the meantime we must accept the fact that Tata doesn't have as much as resources as of with Kia.

Kia develops a car, put their engine and gearbox and stuff from Hyundai's stable and they have a product ready. This is not the case with Tata. If they even develop a new engine say for Altroz, the launch would have been delayed by atleast a year just because they would have taken time for the R&D and the fact that it would fetch good numbers would still have been a question mark about it. See the case with the Altroz DCT. There's no limelight on the launch.

So with the limited resources of Tata, what they have managed to pull is phenomenal. There are other factors as well but still excellent job Tata. Way to go
chiefpk is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 22:49   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
So with the limited resources of Tata, what they have managed to pull is phenomenal. There are other factors as well but still excellent job Tata. Way to go
Also, let's not forget that Tata isn't a proper global brand. Hyundai, Kia and even Toyota are truly global ones and their products/platforms and engines are tested/sold in multiple markets before being introduced in India.

Even with the case of say Seltos, Kia has probably sold enough numbers globally by now which maybe the Harrier could take over 5 years to achieve. So it's easier and quicker to find and iron out issues and niggles with these global brands.

If Tata and Mahindra managed to sell well in the western hemisphere, we would probably have to wait for 6 months to buy a possibly niggle free product instead of the minimum 2-3 year wait.

So yes. If Tata can manage to keep up the fight, it would be admirable.
TROOPER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 23:41   #240
BHPian

The success of the Tata Motors franchise (with excellent products) in the past few months is despite the pathetic dealer network. Imagine what numbers TaMo could do with Kia like dealership experience!
andafunda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks