Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2020, 08:12   #241
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

If anybody in the industry deserves success, it is certainly TATA Motors. They have shown desire, put in hard work, revamped entire line up and have the necessary management vision as well. Unfortunately in India, it takes a lot of effort for merit to topple established named. Keep at it TATA, you will succeed!!
Carma2017 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 08:57   #242
BHPian

After the govt started lifting lockdown, I have been seeing at least 1 or 2 new Tata cars every day, most of them being Nexon and Altroz and a some Harriers too (mostly Dark Edition). And I can confirm that I haven't been seeing the same car again and again. Heck, I even saw 2 new Nexon EVs. In comparison, I might have seen a total of 5 new Maruti cars during the same timespan. This is in Kochi, Kerala. I read sometime back that Kerala is one of the most important markets for Tata Motors. Seems to be true.

With the Thar receiving a great welcome, how I wish Tata plugged the gap they left open by stopping the Safari. A new age SWB (Short Wheel Base) body-on-frame 5 seater SUV will do wonders if rightly equipped.

All the best Tata. I have always had a Tata at home since the Indica V2 days and it has been the car that takes all the beating. VW, Maruti and Hyundai that we had never went to places the Tatas have been to! I badly want Tata to succeed both as a user and an investor.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th October 2020 at 01:12. Reason: Abbreviations expanded.
DieselAddikt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 09:19   #243
BHPian

Moody's had downgraded Tata Motors to B1 with a negative with a "Negative Outlook", it was somewhat better with Standard & Poors, but a B nonetheless.
Lets see what they have to say now!

OK, back to earth. While I truly hope a home-grown brand succeeds such that it doesn't have to transfer royalties to other countries, it is imperative that the dealers & Service Centers keep true to their commercial commitments to their customers.

Will the Harrier be able to keep up the fight with MG Hector/Kia Seltos, or the Nexon with Kia Sonet, or the Gravitas with Crysta ?
Is Tata in the financial position to launch the BS6 Hexa with a long term commitment to support the product ?

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 3rd October 2020 at 09:27.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 10:35   #244
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors Sep 2020 Sales Is Highest In 8 Years – Record 162% Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
One must appreciate the foreign CEOs of Tata Motors, first, the late Karl Slym (from GM) and now Günter Butschek (from Daimler & Airbus), for not only stopping the rapid slide of the company, but also for re-energising the brand and firmly setting it on the right path again.......
Foreign or not, Tata needs a lot more people in middle and senior levels from people who have gained experience in other companies and industries. Most of Tata management is recruits hired as Graduate Engineer Trainees and promoted over time. While they might have hired the cream of the crop from the colleges, this crop dose not get sufficiently exposed to the outside world and know only the Tata way.This is never good for any company. Over time such organizations become like government agencies. A good share of lateral hires at all levels is needed to take them forward further. Tata Motors has done this to some extent in their PV business albeit only in top management. But they also need this in mid levels and CV business.
Theyota is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 11:39   #245
BHPian

Definitely a proud moment indeed! With 5* rated safety cars, hope their momentum continues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Moody's had downgraded Tata Motors to B1 with a negative with a "Negative Outlook", it was somewhat better with Standard & Poors, but a B nonetheless.
Lets see what they have to say now!
That's unrelated to however good their products are/will be, right? Tata Motors reported massive consolidated net losses in the last two years, and also standalone net losses in the 3 years before that. From a pure financial standpoint, these neither paint a rosy picture, nor inspire high confidence in any investor, specifically with regards to safety of funds/loans. So we need to keep financial ratings and prospects separate, which don't necessarily follow due to great products.

Last edited by PearlJam : 3rd October 2020 at 11:42.
PearlJam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:42   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to TML !!!!
And the numbers will only go massively up with the HBX.

IMHO, after the HBX, Gravitas, Hexa BS6 and all the EV variants, Tata should really bring the Blackbird (?) creta rival and an MPV (either Ertiga rival on Alfa platform or Marazzo rival on Omega platform)
And fast-track their ICE development, which is the only chink in their modern offerings.
QC is another issue.

The buyers around here are super weird. While half of the market is Maruti/Hyundai, the other half is filled with market flops.
1st gen Jazz, SRV, Fabia, VWs, Fiats, Ritz, Captur, Yaris, Fluence, Kicks, Ignis, Datsuns, 2nd gen Figos/Aspires.

So initially thought the Nexons and Tiagos were part of that buying syndrome
Well, I was proved wrong!!!
Post lockdown, lost number of for regn Tatas. Especially in those vibrant yellows, reds, blues, gold's, the roads are a colourful sight now.

Customers, especially first time customers are increasingly flocking to Tata showrooms.
Couple of weeks ago visited Trivandrum motors, and it straight away looked like a Maruti showroom, with a good crowd for this covid times, yet responsive staff.

Tata just has to take care of the QC and A.S.S so that these customers would become repeat customers.
DicKy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:52   #247
BHPian

So, in cricketing parlance, TATA = Team India -- Karl Slym = Saurav Ganguly and Günter Butschek = M S Dhoni
captain.torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 14:37   #248
BHPian

So happy to read this. And their product line up nicely covers all segments.

The fact that the Altroz and Harrier are just pure eye candy surely has helped in these nos.

I really think Tata are producing some beauties.

If you ask me below are the most beautiful looking vehicles today (upto 25 lacs):-

Hatch - Altroz
Sedan - Civic
SUV - Harrier
Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-tata0.jpg

Last edited by F1-Addict : 3rd October 2020 at 14:42.
F1-Addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 15:08   #249
BHPian

Kudos to TATA. Last 5-7 years of hard work is now getting reflected in the sales figures. To pick the sales further up, they should launch a fully baked Hornbill in minimum possible time along with updated HEXA. However, I have doubt how HEXA & Gravitas will co-exist together? Secondly, they should launch a sedan to take on Dzire head on.

For long term, they should work hard to design long range EV vehicles and launch quickly to take first mover advantage.
Old 3rd October 2020, 17:54   #250
BHPian

I'm very happy for TATA, for reaching the No. 3 spot in India. However, I do hope that this increase is not a "Flash in the Pan" kind of situation.
Old 3rd October 2020, 20:35   #251
BHPian

I had hated TATA and Mahindra cars since they started. Mainly due to their lack of fit and finsh, NVH levels and way they age.

My cars so far have been : Hyundai Getz, Ford Fusion 1.6 Petrol, VW GT TSI

I wouldn't have imagined myself ever getting a TATA/Mahindra when driving my GT TSI since 2013.

But earlier this week I took the delivery of my first Tata Vehicle ... Nexon EV.
sivasain is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 20:41   #252
Senior - BHPian

The new cars from Tata such as the Altroz, Harrier, the 2020 Nexon, Tiago, Tigor and even the upcoming Gravitas and the HBX, almost all of these have flawless design language. Not boring, but extremely stylish,smart and yet cohesive. Hyundai, in spite of being a global major, on the other hand seems to be the exact opposite with the 2020 Creta, Aura etc.

So Tata is getting its products quite right. If they can make that showroom and service experience at par with Hyundai, then they could see steady increase in sales over the next few years.
Old 3rd October 2020, 20:53   #253
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Maybe TML can get some of the branding wizards from their sister concern Titan? That is one company who i feel, have managed their brands fabulously & built up very good market credibility. Also their product management across different brands have been excellent - take for example Tanishq and its foray into the organised jewellery market. At least the limited number of people i know all swear by Tanishq and would not buy jewellery for their daughters & wives from anywhere else other than Tanishq.

The brand management expertise is already there, i feel, in - house, across group companies.

Instead of paying crores to consultancy firms,Cyrus Mistry maybe can request Ratan Tata, who in turn can play Big Daddy, and ask his other kids, (other group company/companies), to help out one of the brothers (TML), in distress and getting in place a structured brand revival plan.
Seems like they heard you, they almost exactly did what you have said.

Tata Motors appoints Rajan Amba as VP Sales & Marketing for PVBU

Name:  rajan.png
Views: 2933
Size:  505.9 KB

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Home-grown automaker, Tata Motors has appointed Rajan Amba as Vice President - Sales, Marketing & Customer Care, PVBU

He will be based out of Mumbai and will report to Shailesh Chandra President & CEO - PVBU.

Prior to Tata Motors, Rajan has worked with Carat Lane, a subsidiary company of Titan where he worked as a Chief Operating Officer.

He has been with Titan since 2012, this is his second stint with the company where he was Brand Manager for Titan watch. till 2015 and Head of Sales and Retail for Tanishq till he joined Carat Lane.

During his tenure in Titan, he has been instrumental in redefining the product design and language for the Titan brand as well as bringing a blend of science and art to the area of product line management.

Rajan is a graduate in Mechanical Engineering from National Institute of Technology, Calicut and Rajan completed MBA in Marketing from Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai.

He started his career in 1990 with FILL and then worked in Nike, Titan Watches and Levi Strauss.

Over the past twenty five plus years Rajan has held roles with increasing responsibilities in Sales, Marketing, Retail, Brand Management and Business Development areas.
Link
wheelguy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 21:24   #254
BHPian

Very heartwarming to see a great product such as the Altroz finally getting the attention it deserves from the masses. Of course, the Nexon and the Tiago are also well-accomplished products and have carved out a space for themselves in their respective segments.

I see quite a lot of newly-registered Altrozes (?) plying in and around my locality nowadays. More power to you, TML, and hope you bring out the Hornbill with all guns blazing pretty soon.
Old 3rd October 2020, 23:22   #255
BHPian

Tata just need one more vehicle to bridge the gap between nexon and Harrier, directly against Creta\Seltos. Not sure why no other manufacturer is eying to take a dent on 20,000+ per month sales numbers by these two. Creta\Seltos size is so perfect for indian conditions, not small as nexon/xuv300/venue, not big like Harrier and there is a variant for everyone.

If tata can bring one car to go against directly with Creta\Seltos, that would be awesome. Like how Sonet is doing to Nexon and brezza. They dont even need new engines, 1.5 diesel alone can fight really well.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 3rd October 2020 at 23:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks