Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2016, 23:26   #76
BHPian

Re: Mahindra's sub-4 meter Bolero. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 6.59 lakh!

I like it! So now they have a 2.5 DI Bolero with 63 bhp, a 2.5 low cost common rail DI Bolero with 63 bhp, a 2.5 DI Bolero with 70 bhp (Big Bolero Pikup) and now a 1.5 M Hawk Bolero with 70 bhp.

People never bought the Bolero for its power anyway. Its the torque and lugging capability which floores them. I wonder if the 1.5 will give the same kind of lugging capability and torque as the 2.5. I think not- for even when the 1990 cc Xuv came out, the power it made was similar to the 2200 cc Xuv but the torque was a tad less than thr 2200 cc.

That was a deficit of 200 cc, this is a deficit of a 1000 cc.

i think it will sell- to first time Bolero customers. People having driven a 2.5 Bolero will never buy one- but the next gen crowd who want a tough sturdy SUV but dont have the budget to stretch to the Thar or think that the Thar is too impractical due to its rear bench will definitely lap this up. The Bolero even in this avatar i think may be more rugged and abuse friendly than the TUV and Nuovosport (not to forget cheaper)

Last edited by rahul4321 : 13th September 2016 at 23:29. Reason: typo
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 12:33   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
So now the bumpers are almost negligible, especially up front. Wonder how much impact the new ones would take.
Is it legal to change the bumpers after one buys it ? I mean, change it to a regular sized bumper ?
Old 14th September 2016, 13:09   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
the next gen crowd who want a tough sturdy SUV but dont have the budget to stretch to the Thar or think that the Thar is too impractical due to its rear bench will definitely lap this up.
I don't think so. Such SUV-loving but cash-strapped new gen crowd can always buy used SUVs compared to this.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 13:35   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp4putuval View Post
I do not see any difference in Tata or Mahindra. What is the new concept that Mahindra have introduced that makes all the people gaga over this product and make it worthy of a comparison with its competitors?

Mahindra may not be very innovative in exploring newer technologies.

But the difference I see is in sales figures. Bolero sold ten times as much as the Sumo gold until a few months back.

Now launching a cheaper bolero is going to aid sales further. That is what is important to me if i were Mahindra's top management.

Who bought a bolero for power or fuel efficiency anyways? People buy bolero for its ruggedness and reliability. I don't think 1.5 bolero is going to be any different.

PS: I owned 3 generations of Sumo. I still like the car. But bolero is a better package, in all spheres but space.
Old 14th September 2016, 15:45   #80
BHPian

I hope Mahindra has ironed out all the problems in the 1.5 3 cylinder engine. Just have look at the TUV 300 official review page to read the number of problems people are facing. Mahindra already seems to be on a back-foot on this. There broucher touts the engine as "reliable" mhawk D70. They seem to have given a better warranty, to give people more confidence in the engine after the TUV fiasco.

Reliability is one of the core assets of the Bolero. If Mahindra bungles up here they will kill the Bolero brand.
JediKnight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 17:09   #81
BHPian

I was really expecting some creature comforts in this iteration of bolero and more importantly safety equipment such as Airbags and ABS. If they had matched the equipment of at least the KUV, it would make a strong case for urban buyers too.

If only wishes were horses!
Old 14th September 2016, 17:52   #82
MHG
BHPian

Surprised M&M haven't given this treatment to the Thar yet. If I'm not mistaken, it is already sub-4m and only needs an engine swap.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 22:20   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I hope Mahindra has ironed out all the problems in the 1.5 3 cylinder engine. Just have look at the TUV 300 official review page to read the number of problems people are facing. Mahindra already seems to be on a back-foot on this. There broucher touts the engine as "reliable" mhawk D70. They seem to have given a better warranty, to give people more confidence in the engine after the TUV fiasco.

Reliability is one of the core assets of the Bolero. If Mahindra bungles up here they will kill the Bolero brand.
I took your suggestion JediKnjght, & went through the TUV 300 official review thread to get an idea of the number of problems faced by people. What I found was that the major issues all related to the AMT version of the mHawk-80 model. And this is certainly a serious issue. I did not come across many reports (positive or negative) about the AMT from owners of the mHawk-100 model, which admittedly, was launched fairly recently. Apart from this - AMT - issue, the only other common problem I came across in the thread pertained to coolant loss/leakage. And this appeared more to do with the poor ASS back-up rather than any inherent engine problem.

I am the happy owner of a Scorpio for the past 12 years (bought in 2004) and I intend to buy one of the M&M models equipped with this new 1.5 L 3-cyl engine - either the TUV mHawk-100 or the Nuvosport. Like you, I too am keeping a wary eye on the feedback from owners of these vehicles. And so far I haven't come across something so drastic as to change my mind. And in this respect I doff my hat to Team-BHP - a remarkable forum by any yardstick.

Last edited by shashanka : 14th September 2016 at 22:25.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 07:36   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Is it legal to change the bumpers after one buys it ? I mean, change it to a regular sized bumper ?
What about bull-bar then? Doesn't it defeats the purpose of bumper?
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 10:30   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Surprised M&M haven't given this treatment to the Thar yet. If I'm not mistaken, it is already sub-4m and only needs an engine swap.
Dear god no!
Engine is one of the few good things about Thar. Let's hope M&M doesn't meddle with it too much. With the facelift, they have already managed to spoil the aesthetics.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 13:15   #86
BHPian

Good to see that bolero finally comes with a USB support music system
Old 16th September 2016, 15:03   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I took your suggestion JediKnjght, & went through the TUV 300 official review thread to get an idea of the number of problems faced by people. What I found was that the major issues all related to the AMT version of the mHawk-80 model. And this is certainly a serious issue. I did not come across many reports (positive or negative) about the AMT from owners of the mHawk-100 model, which admittedly, was launched fairly recently. Apart from this - AMT - issue, the only other common problem I came across in the thread pertained to coolant loss/leakage. And this appeared more to do with the poor ASS back-up rather than any inherent engine problem.

I am the happy owner of a Scorpio for the past 12 years (bought in 2004) and I intend to buy one of the M&M models equipped with this new 1.5 L 3-cyl engine - either the TUV mHawk-100 or the Nuvosport. Like you, I too am keeping a wary eye on the feedback from owners of these vehicles. And so far I haven't come across something so drastic as to change my mind. And in this respect I doff my hat to Team-BHP - a remarkable forum by any yardstick.
I don't have an iota of doubt that Mahindra has the engineering prowess to make a reliable power train. We have plenty examples including the excellent 2.6 T which you would have in your Scorpio. I am sure in some time Mahindra will remove all the bugs in the 3 cylinder mHawk. I am just worried that they may spoil the reputation of reliability that the Bolero has built over time.
Old 17th September 2016, 12:43   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Mahindra may not be very innovative in exploring newer technologies.

But the difference I see is in sales figures. Bolero sold ten times as much as the Sumo gold until a few months back.

Now launching a cheaper bolero is going to aid sales further. That is what is important to me if i were Mahindra's top management.

Who bought a bolero for power or fuel efficiency anyways? People buy bolero for its ruggedness and reliability. I don't think 1.5 bolero is going to be any different.

PS: I owned 3 generations of Sumo. I still like the car. But bolero is a better package, in all spheres but space.
I don't know why you should say that. M&M had showcased their first proper hybrid (a Scorpio) way back in 2008 (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/14/s...pio-hybrid-suv...) at the SAE world congress in Detroit. And it was a proper hybrid with KERS (or brake energy recovery as popularly known), a 30kW electric motor and a 2.3kWh nickel metal hydride battery - in fact the works. A pity it remained a prototype, till this new Intelli-hybrid thing hit the stands recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I don't have an iota of doubt that Mahindra has the engineering prowess to make a reliable power train. We have plenty examples including the excellent 2.6 T which you would have in your Scorpio. I am sure in some time Mahindra will remove all the bugs in the 3 cylinder mHawk. I am just worried that they may spoil the reputation of reliability that the Bolero has built over time.
I sure hope M&M don't spoil the Bolero & kill their golden goose. I still feel that they they did their sums right in the down-sizing process (4-cyl 2.2L > 3-cyl 1.5L) & that this engine will prove just as reliable as the Scorpio's. But like most M&M vehicle owners, I have reservations about their dealer/service/w-shop support network. Something that M&M seem to be ignoring - at their peril, I feel!
In this respect I believe that every other mfr. should attend classes conducted by Maruti & see their exemplary ASS at work.
Old 18th September 2016, 10:03   #89
BHPian

Shortening may be a good idea but Sleekening probably isn't. Point to note is that it is a sub 4m vehicle with 2.9899 rows of seating. It is the same length as an i20 or new Baleno. The steering is so close that it is Chest Armour for the driver in accidents. I wonder if there is space for airbags too. Lowering height and attempting any kind of aerodymanics will probably make it midget sized.

It is okay the way it is. Bolero is Mahindra's cash cow. It will sell. I'd rather schedule my chop-shop around the TUV and tinker.

old school 4x4 is probably ruled out..
Old 19th September 2016, 21:40   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

First impressions by AutoCar India:

Quote:
All the torque is available at lower revs and that combined with its short gearing makes it very easy to potter around town and keep up with city traffic. There’s adequate pulling power from as low as idling revs (1000rpm) which means that a downshift isn’t required to pull away from crawling speeds in third gear. Drive sedately and this motor rewards you with excellent drivability. If you try to hustle this engine, it will take its own sweet time to build speed.
Having said that, out on the open road in terms of outright acceleration it takes 20.90 seconds to reach 100kph from a standstill, which is 4.71 seconds faster than the outgoing version. Even in-gear acceleration times have significantly improved now with the car taking 4.32 seconds lesser for 20-80kph in third gear and 6.15 seconds lesser for the 40-100kph sprint in fourth gear. The shortened Bolero is shockingly refined for what is essentially a rural SUV. Even at higher revs it doesn’t sound coarse or strained. Noise, vibrations and harshness (NVH) levels of this vehicle are minimal and sound insulation is surprisingly good.
Where it does begin to show its age is when it comes to its ride quality. It’s actually compliant at city speeds but feels loose and wayward over wavy surfaces, the faster you go. The high centre of gravity can be felt at every curve and there’s a fair bit of body roll and vagueness in the handling that can be unnerving at highway speeds.
It’s tough build and body-on-frame chassis makes it well-suited to rural areas where badly broken roads and deep potholes would make soft roaders and crossovers wince. However, that doesn’t take away from the fact that underneath, it’s still an 11 year old vehicle which is crude in its construction, with cramped interiors and no safety features to speak of. For its asking price, there are far more modern and attractive vehicles in the market today.
Mahindra's sub-4 meter Bolero. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 6.59 lakh!-bol1.jpg

Mahindra's sub-4 meter Bolero. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 6.59 lakh!-bolx2.jpg

Mahindra's sub-4 meter Bolero. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 6.59 lakh!-bolx5.jpg

Mahindra's sub-4 meter Bolero. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 6.59 lakh!-bolx6.jpg

Mahindra's sub-4 meter Bolero. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 6.59 lakh!-bol4.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks