Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2016, 15:56   #136
BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
4) The government should pay residual value of the car to the consumer according to market price and buy it off from him if they want him to stop plying it, otherwise its a scam of epic proportions which Government/Green tribunal and car manufacturers have hatched together which points towards we heading towards a dictatorship. There should be a case filed against the government as well as the green tribunal for this and asked to prove their point about 10 year old diesel cars vs brand new ones polluting more.
Very well said. I am all for scrapping of 10 year old diesel vehicles, provided the Government comes good on giving the market price of the car and a refund of the road tax with an inclusion of interest for the period that the extra road tax was sitting in the coffers of the Government.

France allows people to scrap their cars, and they have a well defined vehicle retirement policy wherein a customer is encouraged to surrender an old vehicle in lieu of a new vehicle.

It is an irony that a developed country has a well thought of vehicle retirement policy and we are yet to see one in India. And, NGT's brunt has to be borne by the public.
Old 21st July 2016, 16:50   #137
Team-BHP Support

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

This rule should be applied selective

1: Get rid old commerical vehicles but give adequate notice - London model

2: Limit use of older cars - use only between 7 pm and 7 am and weekends - Paris Model

3 Alternatively - tax the more polluting cars - London Model
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 17:00   #138
Senior - BHPian

The concern appears to be regarding the tax already paid for 15 years. This can be solved if the authority concerned take a decision to refund or give credit for transferring to another vehicle at the time of purchase.

Regarding scrapping of 10 year old vehicles, there is more to it than meets the eye.
Even a 5 year old vehicle run for very high KMs would be polluting much more than a more than 10 year old vehicle run for lesser KMs. Likewise, a properly overhauled engine would be polluting less. Therefore, the Government has to take an appropriate decision pretty soon rather than allowing the issue to drift uncertainly.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st July 2016 at 17:02.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 17:14   #139
BHPian

I own a Swift Vdi 2011 model and covered 1,35,000 km so far. Keeping my car engine in a healthy condition will not pay me here, as this has to go way from me in the 9th year itself. I also agree that it would be kind of impossible for the authorities to check which 10 year old car is in healthy condition and is less polluting, however still this is so much disappointing for diesel car lovers.
Old 22nd July 2016, 00:04   #140

My two cents : -
The issue is with polluting cars of older BS1/BSII standards. Instead of scrapping the car altogether why doesn't the govt./NGT look into the possibility of having the engine replaced by new one which supports latest norms. Of course then they will need to have a proper process of re-registration and fitness check of the complete car before allowing it to run. This way a well maintained car can get a fresh lease of life instead of buying a new one and it would also lead to lot of job creation across the country.
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:12   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Read a good hard hitting blog on ET/TOI:
http://blogs.economictimes.indiatime...an-delhis-air/

Last edited by SDP : 22nd July 2016 at 10:34. Reason: Adding link tag
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:40   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Haryana bans 15-yr old petrol, 10-yr old diesel vehicles.

The Haryana government on Thursday banned 15-year-old petrol and 10-year-old diesel vehicles from roads within NCR limits.

Quote:
This will apply to vehicles registered in cities falling under the territorial jurisdiction of National Capital Region (NCR) such as Gurgaon, Faridabad, Sonepat and Jhajjar which cause significant air pollution,
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd July 2016 at 10:41.
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:25   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Read a good hard hitting blog on ET/TOI:
http://blogs.economictimes.indiatime...an-delhis-air/
Good blog.

NGT Chairperson has an option (as per the NGT ACT) of bringing in a SME with specialized knowledge on a particular subject / case. In this case, they may have chosen not to, for whatever reason known to them.

It could be that they have some external pressure (within the country or international) to show some action implemented to control the pollution, whether it actually results in reduced pollution on not.

All Judicial members are retired judges either from Supreme Court or Chief Justice from High court. It is appalling to know that they could not look at all the facts including that vehicles are registered for 15 years in first place and they have to revise their stand in couple days.

I am curious to know if any of them holding office in NGT and involved in arriving at this decision own a diesel car.
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:41   #144
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand on why the NGT or Government cannot ensure the availability of CNG all over India, instead of grumbling on polluting diesel vehicles.
Off lately, a lot of BS 3 vehicles are being spotted in cities in taxi avatar. They are registered in a non-metro, but are they allowed to ply in the city? Don't they contribute to the pollution? It is better to gradually weed out the rural sales of BS 3 vehicles rather than giving an overnight surprise sometime later.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 22nd July 2016 at 11:53.
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:30   #145
BHPian

Why is NGT being allowed to take decisions on automobile vehicles? Can't the government form a committee or a board which can scientifically determine reduction of pollution in automobile vehicles?

3-4 more decisions like this, and India will be the laughing stock for it's measures in bringing down pollution.

This is like saying, my phone is heavier because I have a lot of data in it!!
sidzzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 13:33   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhatt View Post
The issue is with polluting cars of older BS1/BSII standards. Instead of scrapping the car altogether why doesn't the govt./NGT look into the possibility of having the engine replaced by new one which supports latest norms. Of course then they will need to have a proper process of re-registration and fitness check of the complete car before allowing it to run. This way a well maintained car can get a fresh lease of life instead of buying a new one and it would also lead to lot of job creation across the country.
This is a good idea and it would be great if the engine replacement is done by the manufacturer at their factory. Of-course. many admin issues/paperwork, especially related to excise may arise- but I guess that would be worth it.

The auto companies, the car-owners and the environment - would all be benefitted.
AutoSphere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 13:56   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
This is a good idea and it would be great if the engine replacement is done by the manufacturer at their factory. Of-course. many admin issues/paperwork, especially related to excise may arise- but I guess that would be worth it.

The auto companies, the car-owners and the environment - would all be benefitted.
The question is whether this is economical. It might be cheaper and less time consuming to buy a new car. Remember the hassles one went through in converting an Ambassador into a diesel one. You ended up with teething problems, rattles, reinforcing engine mounts, rework, refitting etc.
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:04   #148
BHPian

@Ajmat

Yes, economic and practical feasibility should be considered. However, there are a couple of advantages in this specific scenario :

* The existing vehicles are already having a diesel engine, so the reinforcements , gear-box ratios, etc must all been taken care of
* The current diesel engines are much more refined than the good old (or shall I say the bad old ) BMC engines that were fitted to the Ambassador.
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:18   #149
BHPian

I don't understand on what basis or facts NGT takes such abrupt decisions. Various study clearly shows that dust particulate on the roads and emissions from industries are the major culprits. They don't come up with any solutions on how to tackle these major two polluting sources, rather pass a baseless rule to deregister old vehicles. Cars are responsible for just 2%. The ruling feels as if a bunch of sadists are at the helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhatt View Post
Yes, even I think this is the proper way to tackle the issue. Govt. should provide concessions to promote such a move.

Last edited by keeprevving : 22nd July 2016 at 16:20.
Old 23rd July 2016, 13:38   #150
BHPian

Latest news in TOI 23rd July page #6 : Centre set to challenge NGT's diesel ruling

Also here :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/53346425.cms
Attached Thumbnails
July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old-p_20160723_132626-1.jpg  

Last edited by forbhaskarm : 23rd July 2016 at 13:45.
forbhaskarm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks