Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2016, 13:51   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
I also agree that it would be kind of impossible for the authorities to check which 10 year old car is in healthy condition and is less polluting, however still this is so much disappointing for diesel car lovers.
Can the six monthly pollution test be useful here or else the whole pollution check can be termed a fiasco.(Which is even now, as many have opined.)

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd July 2016 at 13:53.
Old 23rd July 2016, 14:10   #152
BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Can the six monthly pollution test be useful here or else the whole pollution check can be termed a fiasco.(Which is even now, as many have opined.)
PUC is just a formality here in India. Anyone can get a pollution under control certificate by paying some extra money to the attendant. I am sure higher authorities are somewhat aware of the same. That is why they themselves don't want to rely on the test
Old 23rd July 2016, 15:41   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Latest news in TOI 23rd July page #6 : Centre set to challenge NGT's diesel ruling

Also here :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/53346425.cms
Good to see government is going to challenge the ban. Happy to hear someone from the government is talking logically and listing down the issues with this ruling of NGT.

Hope the challenge will see some light at the end with proper action plan / measure to control the pollution, manage retirement of polluting vehicles and revised PUC procedure / steps to assess the fitness of vehicle (petrol /diesels).

Its also time for SC to lift the ban on 2000 cc and above diesel vehicles to bring back the confidence, both for the consumer and the manufacturer. Would be better for the Government and NGT to work together and present a single and long term policy / view to the citizens to avoid such fiasco in future
Old 25th July 2016, 11:37   #154
BHPian

Interesting to read RCBharagava's (Maruti Suzuki) stand on this

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53363085.cms
AutoSphere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 16:31   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53363085.cms
Interesting indeed, particularly in the viewpoint of many that MSIL 'may' be one of the possible groups behind the 2000 cc+ ban. It is also bit interesting to see him opposing a move, at least in public, which could potentially increase the new vehicle sales.
Old 25th July 2016, 16:57   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
It is also bit interesting to see him opposing a move, at least in public, which could potentially increase the new vehicle sales.
I think that the opposition to such bans could be on the following grounds:

1. It just opens doors for future and further arbitrary judgements which could have a major negative impact on the entire sector.

2. This ban could actually dampen sales of new cars. Many people sell their old cars and use this fund their new purchases, which, in many cases end up being 1-2 segments above their current car. Case in point- I was offered ~ 2 lacs for my 2005 swift petrol LXI. A mid to top end variant of Baleno seems within reach. But hey, impose a ban on 10 year old petrol cars, and I have to relook at my options.

3. Many people buy cars keeping in mind that they will "use" it for 15 years and hence recover their investments. A reduced ownership period of 10 years makes owning a car more expensive, thereby dampening sentiments

4. Many people are unsure about owning and driving a car, and they purchase a 10 -11 year car for 1- 1.5 lacs, keep for a year or two, and once they are comfortable driving, buy a new car. This segment will not have the luxury of "easing" into the car ownership process.

Just my two cents, I could be wrong on some or all of the above.
ajayclicks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 10:56   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
He's right with respect to the material loss of the people.

If you want people to change their cars to newer, more efficient and less polluting models, give a good financial incentive on the new car and a few (3-4) years' notice.
Old 26th July 2016, 11:49   #158
BHPian

Meanwhile, on a slightly unrelated note, here is a news report on NGT's scientific basis for passing judgements:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/53390083.cms

An expert panel of the National Green Tribunal told the environment court that the Rs 120 crore penalty it recommended against Art of Living Foundation for holding its World Culture Festival on the Yamuna floodplains in March had no scientific basis.

"It was not based on any scientific assessment," wrote Shashi Shekhar, water resources secretary, who headed the panel. Shekhar described the estimate that Rs 120 crore would be needed to repair the likely damage as "tentative" and a "spontaneous suggestion", which got elevated as a "recommendation" because of an "inadvertent mistake". This inadvertent mistake was largely due to the fact that I was running high fever and could not see the entire report prepared by the experts," Shashi Shekhar, head of an NGT panel, wrote to the environment court.
ajayclicks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 12:03   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
This inadvertent mistake was largely due to the fact that I was running high fever and could not see the entire report prepared by the experts," Shashi Shekhar, head of an NGT panel, wrote to the environment court.
Wow. This is a new low in the existence of NGT in our country. I am amazed at the impunity with which people in such high senior positions give such lame excuses for their shortcomings. So AOL organisation has once again shown that they are above all laws and moral obligations towards the society. BTW shouldn't the said person above be terminated from his job for this so called error? I am sure the gentleman would have already received a handsome sum of money to compensate for his "high fever"!
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 12:09   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
BTW shouldn't the said person above be terminated from his job for this so called error?
As per the article, he had mentioned his views 8 days before the event took place. Now, I am not sure whose intention I should doubt- the individual in concern, or NGT.

Significantly , Shekhar wrote this letter to the NGT on March 3, eight days before the AOL event got under way .

The panel, comprising experts and environmentalists C R Babu, A K Gosain and Brij Gopal, had submitted its report to NGT on February 22.

Clarifying the stand, Shekhar had said while members of the panel did discuss imposition of Rs 120 crore penalty on the AOL, he did not endorse the experts' view (on the amount) and had, instead, suggested that the organiser must restore the Yamuna floodplains after the festival, with the experts assessing the cost of the repair job.
Old 26th July 2016, 14:01   #161
BHPian

A simple google search – indicates that the debate on fuel types is highly inconclusive – on the pros and cons of pollution. One thing which there is no debate is ALL fuel cars pollute – so why not go the full way and BAN ALL vehicles ? Why this partial treatment of a particular type of vehicle ? Does diesel engine degrade after certain years ? Shouldn't the actual mileage of the vehicle decide whether it should be scrapped or not ? There are many well maintained cars which are aged and having low mileage on their odo, On the other hand, there are cars (typically much abused cabs) which might be "younger" in age, but polluting more. What is NGTs guidance for these kind of vehicles ? What about state run buses and heavy vehicles ? Is NGT responsible only for making these kind of grandoise statements and then keep quiet on how to implement, ironing out the details ? There are too many unanswered questions.

I think we can see more and more of these kind of half-baked judgements made in an arbitrary manner. Maybe the intention is only for marketting that NGT is still alive and rattle its sabre..

Taking a contrarian view, if this helps in reigning in the auto sector to implement more stringent guidelines, it would be definitely worth it. But again, we have episodes like the reputed VW which manipulates the data/software. I'm sure VW is not an exception and all companies will have their share of skeletons if one digs deep enough..

Implementing a stricter PUC – maybe based on multiple parameters like age of vehicle, odo reading, actual emission levels, etc may yield better results.
haria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 14:26   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
PUC is just a formality here in India. Anyone can get a pollution under control certificate by paying some extra money to the attendant. I am sure higher authorities are somewhat aware of the same. That is why they themselves don't want to rely on the test
IF that is the case, then they should atleast do away with the mandatory PUC test. According to your post, we are paying for a piece of paper which has no value. Then why should we pay? And why should we be penalized if we do not have the PUC certificate?

Problem is as always in the implementation. IF the government had made a rule that vehicles could be registered for a period of 15 years and needed 6 monthly PUC checks, then now mandating scrapping of 10 year old vehicles is a travesty of justice. In fact, it can easily be challenged in a court of law. How can a vehicle which meets the pollution norms be scrapped only because it is 10 years old? That is ridiculous to the core.
Old 26th July 2016, 15:22   #163
BHPian

With all these talks on bans, I have always wondered about the presence of classic and vintage vehicles, in this scenario. Are they already subject to different laws, guidelines or rules?
Old 26th July 2016, 15:43   #164
BHPian

Let's assume the ban is implemented all across the country. If so, then:
  • Is it possible to swap an old diesel engine by a new diesel or a petrol one? If so how can it be done?
  • Where can I get a new or relatively new heart (engine)?
  • Is engine swapping a legal process?
  • Can one approach the manufacturers for a new engine?
Previously many Ambassadors made use of Matador engines, but I am not sure if one can do the same today.
Old 26th July 2016, 16:37   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Let's assume the ban is implemented all across the country. If so, then:[list][*] Is it possible to swap an old diesel engine by a new diesel or a petrol one? If so how can it be done?[*]Where can I get a new or relatively new heart (engine)?[*]Is engine swapping a legal process?
I too had the same thoughts. For example a swift diesel has the same engine since inception. So theoretically there should not be a problem with the mounting points. So why can't the NGT or Court implement / permit a process of stringent emission checking and new engine upgrade with incentives. This should be way cheaper than buying a new car and I can keep my car too.

Going this way we will not be left with any antique cars from the current period, since we will follow a systematic process of junking them. Maybe a lucky few who have the space to park will have them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks