Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 18:14   #166
BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
PUC is just a formality here in India. Anyone can get a pollution under control certificate by paying some extra money to the attendant. I am sure higher authorities are somewhat aware of the same. That is why they themselves don't want to rely on the test
Why don't they start by banning the PUC test itself. It does not seem be doing any benefit
Old 26th July 2016, 19:08   #167
BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Folks, anyone have any insight onto how this will change the used car market? I'm been wanting to get my hands on to a 2011/2012 model AT Endeavour, and there are some pretty sweet deals out there. I'm only apprehensive that the 10L - 12L I drop onto a 4 year old car, which I presumably use for 2 years, will leave me with a brick that nobody will want to buy by 2017 (as the car will only have 4 years left on it). This really leaves us all in a fix!
Old 26th July 2016, 19:52   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsago View Post
Why don't they start by banning the PUC test itself. It does not seem be doing any benefit
I agree, however you know that it will never going to happen. They still need a yard stick in their hand
Old 26th July 2016, 20:35   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
Good to see government is going to challenge the ban. Happy to hear someone from the government is talking logically and listing down the issues with this ruling of NGT.

Hope the challenge will see some light at the end with proper action plan / measure to control the pollution, manage retirement of polluting vehicles and revised PUC procedure / steps to assess the fitness of vehicle (petrol /diesels).

Its also time for SC to lift the ban on 2000 cc and above diesel vehicles to bring back the confidence, both for the consumer and the manufacturer. Would be better for the Government and NGT to work together and present a single and long term policy / view to the citizens to avoid such fiasco in future
I know this has become a really unhappy situation of all those like me who love older generation cars and have gone to great lengths to preserve / restore these vehicles. The issue is that the environment damage is very real and cities like Delhi have had to put up with the pollution. Where was this NGT 20 years back when we already knew that air quality in Delhi was one of the worst in the world. Also SIAM in its wisdom should have seen this coming and better prepared for it. Instead what we have now is us hapless consumers who have to feel the brunt of these decisions.

The issue is not the idea of the ban but rather how it has been implemented. My suggestion would he to have better testing facilities like the MOT test facilities in the UK, where overall fitness of older vehicles are tested more comprehensively rather than the superficial tests that the RTOs currently do for issuing fitness certificates.
tatsago is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 09:41   #170
BHPian

Ouch! Delhi May Have to Replace 50% of Its Ambulances After NGT Order Now what does NGT have to say on this?
Masda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 10:10   #171
BANNED

One question to all the guru's.
I am planning to buy a diesel car in sub 13 lakh category as my running is 1500 ~ 1600 KM a month, but because of this NGT order i am very skeptical what might come next from NGT or from our hon'ble supreme court or from any other powerful entity which has the power to create new rule imposing some sort of ban/tax on diesel vehicles in Delhi/NCR or nation wide .
So is it a still advisable to buy a diesel car?
Old 27th July 2016, 11:09   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont know the price differential of petrol and diesel fuel in your residence state but based on my estimation and your yearly running of about 18K kms, your need does not warrant a diesel car, especially considering the upfront higher cost to buy one. My recommendation will be to stick to petrol; also considering the uncertainty of diesel's fate.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 12:38   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshusharma View Post
I am planning to buy a diesel car in sub 13 lakh category as my running is 1500 ~ 1600 KM a month, but because of this NGT order i am very skeptical what might come next from NGT or from our hon'ble supreme court or from any other powerful entity which has the power to create new rule imposing some sort of ban/tax on diesel vehicles in Delhi/NCR or nation wide .
In addition to economic advantages, diesel engines give good low-end torque and, hence, are somewhat easier to drive in city traffic. I believe that one of the options available to the government is to reduce the petrol-diesel pricing differential so as to discourage purchase of diesel vehicles.

So you probably need to identify the reason why you want to buy a diesel car.

In any case, better to wait and watch how the NGT ban folds out further.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 14:34   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda View Post
Ouch! Delhi May Have to Replace 50% of Its Ambulances After NGT Order Now what does NGT have to say on this?

Maybe the NGT could fund all this from the money they generate by scrapping all the old cars.

Heaven forbid but if you have ride in the backseat of an ambulance, wouldn't you rather go in something which isn't falling apart. The whole discussion on the state of ambulances in this country are another discussion topic all together.

Just a few months ago there was this article about how new ambulances in Nasik were off the road because they did not have enough water to wash them.
tatsago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 15:21   #175
BANNED

I am sure very soon there will be a demand to disband the NGT and ban its brain CSE! I think the courts are trying to usurp the powers of the legislature and then executive. It is for them to lay down Euro-IV, VI or VIII, and not decide how to meet it!
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 17:31   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshusharma View Post
Going by the recent developments regarding NGT and the failure of the odd even scheme in Delhi, I think they won't try any more brainless illogical adventures in the near future. At the most as a face saving exercise, they might introduce that green tax on sales of diesel cars. So I would suggest you to go ahead and buy that car before they introduce that tax and be done with it.

And everyone will have their own opinion but I believe with a running of 1500 kms a month, a diesel car is the way to go.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 18:38   #177
BHPian

I'm expecting the 2nd hand market to crash now, it doesn't seem to - so far. I'm also now on the fence whether to buy a 4 year old diesel car or not. :(
Old 28th July 2016, 09:20   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I dont know the price differential of petrol and diesel fuel in your residence state but based on my estimation and your yearly running of about 18K kms, your need does not warrant a diesel car, especially considering the upfront higher cost to buy one. My recommendation will be to stick to petrol; also considering the uncertainty of diesel's fate.

Regards.
Currently the price difference (petrol - diesel) in delhi is ~ 10/-. But when i did my calculation, diesel suited me better considering my daily run, daily idle time spent in traffic jam, weekend (200km)and long weekend trips(700 km to hometown), the torque provided by diesel cars without spending a lot on daily basis and similar reasons.
But yes you are unquestionably correct about the uncertainty of diesel's fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
In addition to economic advantages, diesel engines give good low-end torque and, hence, are somewhat easier to drive in city traffic. I believe that one of the options available to the government is to reduce the petrol-diesel pricing differential so as to discourage purchase of diesel vehicles.

So you probably need to identify the reason why you want to buy a diesel car.

In any case, better to wait and watch how the NGT ban folds out further.
True that. The low end torque advantage and ease of drive-ability in delhi's horrendous jam is a boon in most diesel cars.But i am really confused about the NGT, and i dont know how much to wait. But i guess i have to take a plunge in either to go ahead and buy the diesel car, come what may or change to a petrol car and get rid of this NGT nightmare at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Going by the recent developments regarding NGT and the failure of the odd even scheme in Delhi, I think they won't try any more brainless illogical adventures in the near future. At the most as a face saving exercise, they might introduce that green tax on sales of diesel cars. So I would suggest you to go ahead and buy that car before they introduce that tax and be done with it.

And everyone will have their own opinion but I believe with a running of 1500 kms a month, a diesel car is the way to go.
yesterday i was thinking exactly the same thing to take a decision before the green tax or cess or something else is implemented.
Old 28th July 2016, 13:40   #179
BHPian

Sorry for my ignorance on the matter, but just to cross link with another topic running currently on the forum, will the GST, if implemented, not make a strong proposition to wait for a next car purchase. This, considering the current system of ED / Cess / CST / LST / etc. all getting capped and prices coming down?
karpusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 15:53   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Sorry for my ignorance on the matter, but just to cross link with another topic running currently on the forum, will the GST, if implemented, not make a strong proposition to wait for a next car purchase. This, considering the current system of ED / Cess / CST / LST / etc. all getting capped and prices coming down?
Even if the bill is passed in this session, GST will be implemented only from April 2017 onwards. I guess if the OP can wait that long, the dust too would have settled (hopefully) on this whole diesel and 10 yr old vehicle issue.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks