Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2018, 10:13   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
One question in my mind is, that is it true that diesel vehicles with even 15 year registration certificate from Delhi RTO will not be allowed to ply after 10 years in Delhi?
Will the road tax be refundable for 5 years?
Or is it that the cars registered for 15 years are allowed for 15 years but further on only RC is issued for 10 years.

Confused
Same here.
My Tucson is 2005 registered, and its getting on to 13 years next month. I really dont want to be stopped and have it confiscated, or pay a huge bribe.
Couple of questions:
1) My registration is for 15 years. Can my car be impounded?
2) I want to sell it off. Where can I do so, and what all documentation will I be needing?
3) Anybody with experience in getting an NOC for a >10 years diesel car?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 10:49   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Same here.
My Tucson is 2005 registered, and its getting on to 13 years next month. I really dont want to be stopped and have it confiscated, or pay a huge bribe.
Couple of questions:
1) My registration is for 15 years. Can my car be impounded?
2) I want to sell it off. Where can I do so, and what all documentation will I be needing?
3) Anybody with experience in getting an NOC for a >10 years diesel car?
1. They aren't impounding as of now.
2. You cannot sell it in NCR
3. You cannot get an NOC, scrapping it is the only option, if someone is braveheart enough, they may buy and never register it in their name
Old 4th August 2018, 10:52   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
3. You cannot get an NOC
Not even if I sell it off in someplace like Gorakhpur/Deoria/Moradabad etc?
Old 4th August 2018, 10:54   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Not even if I sell it off in someplace like Gorakhpur/Deoria/Moradabad etc?
There is not a possibility of generating an NOC for any car > 10 years old and diesel in the RTO system.
Old 4th August 2018, 10:58   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
1. They aren't impounding as of now.
2. You cannot sell it in NCR
3. You cannot get an NOC, scrapping it is the only option, if someone is braveheart enough, they may buy and never register it in their name
So basically if my car is more than 10 years old and a diesel one and I have a RC which is valid for 15 years I can drive it till the expiry of RC?
Or is it that they will not impound it and tell us to scrap it or something?
Old 4th August 2018, 19:14   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
So basically if my car is more than 10 years old and a diesel one and I have a RC which is valid for 15 years I can drive it till the expiry of RC?
Or is it that they will not impound it and tell us to scrap it or something?
No they will still impound your car if caught. You cannot drive a 10 year old diesel car regardless of the RC or the state of registration.

Plus in addition if the car was registered in Delhi then post 10 years you cannot sell it to anyone within Delhi as the vehicle would not be registered in the second owners name. Also earlier they were not even issuing NOC to enable one to sell out of state but now few people are claiming that they have managed to get a NOC after 10 years and apparently the court has also directed that you cannot stop issuing the NOC. But this is a contentious point as of now with no clearly laid rules.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 19:46   #262
Senior - BHPian

I am just shooting in the dark here, but will it be possible to change our current address to outside of Delhi? Will it be possible to sell it off later?

This rule seems to be not considering the pollution caused by scraping of road-worthy cars like many mentioned here, feels as if action is being taken in random without any research

I opted for petrol instead of diesel(lot of uncertainty, rule mostly against diesels) and paying the price every time I fill up and drive, I do miss diesel's torque wave and FE.
Old 6th August 2018, 15:47   #263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I completely agree. What is the logical rationale behind this 10 years ban order? If there are rules in place to check vehicle emissions and ascertaining whether a vehicle is fit to be plied on road, then this blanket ban, irrespective however good the vehicle may be, is indeed Mohd Bin Tughlaq like.
If enforcement in poor then who should be docked, the agency responsible for the aam admi.
Old 6th August 2018, 22:04   #264
BHPian

I got the third party insurance for my 15+ year old Honda City via Reliance. Even though we don't use the car, it's blocking the parking space in front of our house. It's a perfectly good car, in great condition. People keep telling us that they aren't really enforcing the law too strictly and we should continue driving it, but then, when you're in the wrong, you're in the wrong. And it only takes a second for things to go awry. Say, getting into an accident and the cops get involved.

I don't understand how insurance companies are insuring cars whose insurance has expired.
Old 7th October 2018, 15:27   #265
Senior - BHPian

Govt. to file review petition against NGT diesel vehicle ban

According to a media report, the government will be filing a review petition against the National Green Tribunal's (NGT) ban on diesel vehicles that are over 10-years old in the Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR). The announcement comes in the wake of a recent farmer's protest organized by the Bharatiya Kisan Union in Delhi.

July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old-diesel-ban.jpg

The process of phasing out of around 2 lakh diesel vehicles had commenced in November 2016. In September 2017, the NGT had dismissed a plea filed by the government to modify the ban order, which called for all diesel vehicles that are older than 10-years to be deregistered.

According to the NGT, 1 diesel vehicle pollutes as much as 24 petrol vehicles or 40 CNG-powered vehicles.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 17:59   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

According to a media report, the government will be filing a review petition against the National Green Tribunal's (NGT) ban on diesel vehicles that are over 10-years old in the Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR). The announcement comes in the wake of a recent farmer's protest organized by the Bharatiya Kisan Union in Delhi.
Was the farmer protest related to the diesel vehicle ban? Sorry I did not follow it.
Old 7th October 2018, 18:37   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Was the farmer protest related to the diesel vehicle ban? Sorry I did not follow it.
From the article:

The main demands of the agitating farmers include implementation of the recommendations of the Swaminathan Commission report, removing ban on the use of tractors which are more than 10 years old, clearing out pending payments of sugarcane purchase, increased price of sugar supplied and minimum support prices.
Old 7th October 2018, 18:55   #268
BANNED

And the farmers have just won a reprieve for Tractors which are 10+. I think the NGT has gone bonkers. One can see the logic of the farmers. We drive very little. But then they are probably using the most adulterate fuel.

Even today adulterated fuel is a bane. I consider this much worse than under measurement.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 13:19   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

I just came across this article:

Have a 15-year-old car? The govt is coming for it
Old 10th October 2018, 09:32   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this legally allowed? If the registration has expired, I would have thought they could only impound the car if it is on the road.
So, if they have a list of cars, they will be ringing our doorbell and dragging the car out from inside your house/compound/parking?

Get ready to give up your car if it’s over 15 years old
Sidhartha.Roy@timesgroup.com

New Delhi:

If you live in south Delhi and own a diesel vehicle that is more than 15 years old, the time has come to part ways. As part of a drive to curb vehicular pollution, the transport department has started visiting residential areas in south Delhi to mark such vehicles, which will eventually be impounded and sent for scrapping.

“At the moment, we are not directly impounding vehicles as it would take a lot of time. We are first surveying residential areas to locate such vehicles and once the list of a particular area is complete, we will bring cranes to seize 40 to 50 vehicles at one go and send them for scrapping,” said an official.

The department has started the survey from south Delhi’s Safdarjung Enclave, Greater Kailash, Gulmohar Park and ASIAD Village areas. Four teams of enforcement officials have been deployed with five to six members each. Eventually, it will cover entire Delhi.

Although diesel vehicles older than 10 years and petrol vehicles older than 15 years are also not allowed to ply, the department is targeting over-15-year-old diesel vehicles first as these are the most polluting.

The transport department has deregistered more than two lakh vehicles that are not allowed to ply on roads due to their age. “This database is readily available. Our teams visit an area with the local list and mark these vehicles on the ground,” he said. “We have also started impounding old vehicles if they are found plying on roads.”

The cars seized during this drive will not be returned to the owners as per the scrapping guidelines notified by the department in September. Each vehicle will be handed over to MSTC Ltd, a public sector undertaking, for scrapping and its scrap value would be given to the owner after deducting the transportation cost.

The direction is applicable to all vehicles — commercial as well as private — without exception, including two/three/four-wheelers, and light and heavy vehicles.

Link
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks