Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 10:20   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Is this legally allowed? If the registration has expired, I would have thought they could only impound the car if it is on the road.
Very smart question, as the language mentions "not allowed to ply"

Typical overreach, it doesn't come as a surprise.

I would totally support an opt-in drive where these owners are contacted to inform them of support in scrapping the vehicles, including a list of scrappers to choose from. Maybe I've got an old car rotting away that I can't be bothered to run around and get rid of, so would appreciate the doorstep service.

Not this heavy-handed approach of forced impounding/scrapping, and getting some pittance from the appointed scrapper, because the transportation/logistics/chai expenses ate up a lot of the scrap value.
And I know where this drive will start - with the soft-targets which are white boards.

But hey, that's wishful thinking. I'd have more luck wishing for a pet unicorn.

Last edited by arunphilip : 10th October 2018 at 10:21.
Old 10th October 2018, 12:25   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Till the time our courts/govts start relying on facts and numbers, this wild witch hunt will continue. Once they get done with 15 yr old vehicles, and pollution doesn't reduce (I can bet on it, it won't), what next, 10 yr old vehicles? Ok, next, 5 yr old vehicles?
Old 11th October 2018, 11:58   #273
Senior - BHPian

https://www.businesstoday.in/current...ry/284239.html
But what if someone is keeping an old car which can be still sold outside Delhi? Only driving on the road is an offense.
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:34   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

So the latest out of even Noida is that its not possible to get a PUC. My usual guy handed my RC back after checking the date. He was in two minds after I showed him my previous PUC cert from the same place. Makes me think that there have been some stings or challans on them. However, another station close by did the checking without any fuss. And the car cleared without any issues.
This is turning into plain haranguing of the end user who buys the car in good faith. I dont see the government doing anything. I mean, if they support the ban, then they should proactively call out to the owners and tell them that you can come and collect your residual road tax upon agreeing to scrap your car for whatever its is worth as scrap.
And with the onset of the festive season, and the cold air, and the crop burning- all of which are being pointed out by environmentalists as the root cause of the smog - the car alone will be blamed.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:03   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is turning into plain haranguing of the end user who buys the car in good faith. I dont see the government doing anything. I mean, if they support the ban, then they should proactively call out to the owners and tell them that you can come and collect your residual road tax upon agreeing to scrap your car for whatever its is worth as scrap.
I am certain this is not going to happen at least in our lifetimes.

Take the petrol price example. No Govt. is going to give up revenue willingly. Interests of common-man is the last thing a Govt. will want to 'protect'. Sad reality.

Quote:
And with the onset of the festive season, and the cold air, and the crop burning- all of which are being pointed out by environmentalists as the root cause of the smog - the car alone will be blamed.
Unfortunate but that's how it is at present. You could try to register it outside the NCR based on some proof that may be acceptable in that RTO. Trouble is, if you don't have any such non-NCR address available to you - relatives/grand parents' place etc, it might be a no-go. Even with that sorted out, you may have to continually head out of Delhi to get the PUC done - another headache. I think it would make sense to weigh the pros and cons to decide whether is it beneficial to keep a 15 yo car anymore? Mind you, am not considering any emotional value of the car in question.
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:09   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I think it would make sense to weigh the pros and cons to decide whether is it beneficial to keep a 15 yo car anymore? Mind you, am not considering any emotional value of the car in question.
There is an emotional value, in that I dont want it to be scrapped. I also have addresses in paces where I can sell the car. But that is blocked by the refusal of the people to issuing an NOC.
I am trying to work something out, and will update soon enough.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 15:57   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

All private vehicles in Delhi will be stopped from November 1 if pollution worsens.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 17:09   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
All private vehicles in Delhi will be stopped from November 1 if pollution worsens.

Link

This I would love to see. Of course, government fleets are out of the purview presumably.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 17:55   #279
BHPian

^^ Decision makers will continue to enjoy their fleet of cars and common public will be left to fight their way out with public transport?
Old 12th November 2018, 17:30   #280
BHPian

Hi could anyone help me understand how will the age of the vehicle be calculated? . So if my vehicle is 15 Nov 2011 registered, when will (which date?) the 10 years be treated as completed according to the MVA or NGT?
Old 14th November 2018, 23:02   #281
Senior - BHPian

Forget 10 years or 15 years. Here something new. Proposal to ban all private vehicles

https://m.timesofindia.com/videos/ci...w/66624134.cms

Is it even possible? Banning all private vehicles? Hope this is just one of those knee-jerk proposals which never see the light of day. However pushing electric and CNG vehicles might be a good idea if the pollution levels are that alarming rather than making common man the scapegoat

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th November 2018 at 23:09.
Old 16th November 2018, 13:10   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Forget 10 years or 15 years. Here something new. Proposal to ban all private vehicles

Is it even possible? Banning all private vehicles? Hope this is just one of those knee-jerk proposals which never see the light of day. However pushing electric and CNG vehicles might be a good idea if the pollution levels are that alarming rather than making common man the scapegoat
Anything is possible. If this sees the light of day, I wonder why would people buy cars in Delhi anymore. I mean anything except CNG cars. Maybe a big blow to the dealerships as well as the manufacturers. NCR has always been a big market for every company.

This might also be a big opportunity for people from other parts of the country to hunt for good deals as used car market will be flooded with people trying to dispose off their cars. OTOH used CNG car's prices may shoot up.

Interesting times ahead for sure.
Old 16th November 2018, 13:28   #283
BHPian

Delhi should be first city in India to go all electric. Government is to slow to install electric charging stations, plus other infrastructure required to speed up this transition. But the good thing is that Modi government is moving in right direction.
Old 16th November 2018, 13:38   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Anything is possible. If this sees the light of day, I wonder why would people buy cars in Delhi anymore. I mean anything except CNG cars. Maybe a big blow to the dealerships as well as the manufacturers. NCR has always been a big market for every company.

This might also be a big opportunity for people from other parts of the country to hunt for good deals as used car market will be flooded with people trying to dispose off their cars. OTOH used CNG car's prices may shoot up.

Interesting times ahead for sure.
I for one have thought about it and made a firm decision on not registering any of my Future cars in Delhi /NCR.

I will rather get them registered at Punjab, where my Factory is located.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 16:54   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
I for one have thought about it and made a firm decision on not registering any of my Future cars in Delhi /NCR.

I will rather get them registered at Punjab, where my Factory is located.
With the kind of tomfoolery that's been going around, I wouldn't be surprised if they ban all out of state cars to ply in Delhi too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks